Death Of The Sole ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aug 31, 2017
Bath
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

If the consequence for rejecting Christ is eternal punishment in hell, then why does scripture say..

Matthew 10:28
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

If the soul is also destroyed, then that should mean complete annihilation of all consciousness and none existence?

Therefor how can one be conscious of eternal punishment?

Reactions: Base12

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi,

If the consequence for rejecting Christ is eternal punishment in hell, then why does scripture say..

And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

If the soul is also destroyed, then that should mean complete annihilation of all consciousness and none existence?

Because destroyed in this context, as proven by comparing Scripture with Scripture, as you just did, means wasting or destroying the opportunity.
Just as one makes a foolish decision in this world, and pays for it for the rest of their secular life, it is often referred to as one who has destroyed their life.
Again, like you said, it says one thing in one place, and something else in another, this therefore, is the requisite to harmonize the seemingly contradictory statement. That is, exegete a conclusion where both expressions can apply.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Soles generally die from walking too much on them...

Or once you start to cook them, ...but, I typically prefer Salmon to be quite honest.

No, the sole literally die if they are removed from the water for too long a period.

If you are going to cook them, it is advised to remove all scales and to gut them first.

Bible_Gazer

Mar 7, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

Good point
another thought
How do we get to live forever ? isn't that a gift if we live right ?
Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Hi,

well, if you dig a pit for others to fall into, you end up in it yourself right, so i would maybe first go look at the original word for "hell" there, since Gehenna is in Erets, right. So i'm agreeing with you, i guess :)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Good point
another thought
How do we get to live forever ? isn't that a gift if we live right ?
Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
i dont think "eternal" becomes "forever" until we decide that it does; it sure didnt mean that in the Bible i guess, "eternity: aion, a space of time, an age"

Bible_Gazer

Mar 7, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i dont think "eternal" becomes "forever" until we decide that it does; it sure didnt mean that in the Bible i guess, "eternity: aion, a space of time, an age"
So we don't get eternal life with Jesus forever or everlasting ?

I'm confuse at your statement.
"until we decide that it does"
Can you decide to clear this up ? or are you meaning its just our opinion ?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
So we don't get eternal life with Jesus forever or everlasting ?

I'm confuse at your statement.
"until we decide that it does"
Can you decide to clear this up ? or are you meaning its just our opinion ?
well, my guess is that "eternity" gets conflated with "forever" rather than "eon" due to our desire for Immortality, but really Scripture seems pretty plain on the matter, There is only One Immortal, No one has ever gone up to heaven, you and your sons will be here with me, even from eternity to eternity i guess

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

Complete annihilation of all consciousness and non existence doesn't occur until the Great White throne judgement, for those thrown into the lake of fire. The first death is the death of the body, and the second death is the death of the soul, which is the body and spirit.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi,

Death is the end of the line. That's what death means.
We are souls, we don't have them. When God created Adam he became a living soul....he didn't get one....he became one.

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

full

Excellent question. Now you are faced with a choice...
  1. Believe exactly what you stated above or...
  2. Believe that there is another component to the Human Body that still remains.
I choose number two.

I personally believe that we are...
  • Body
  • Soul
  • Spirit
The Lake of Fire destroys the Body and Soul, but the Spirit remains.

What happens to said Spirit after it passes 'through the fire' is a fascinating story indeed.

;)

Bible_Gazer

Mar 7, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So death is not really a threat
where you go is a threat
living eternally on this mud ball is for everyone eventually, it will be heaven and hell, one is a little lower than the other
Mankind seem connected to this planet, since creation of man is from the Earth's dust
happy or screaming all is one together on Earth
we will all be close to each other, one big family

Just thinking