Defending Amillennialism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your comments are not correct re. Dispensationalist understanding. The gentiles were under the same offer as the Jews, but for different reasons. Almighty God wanted His "first born son" to accept their Messiah; which placed the Jew in priority position! At their failure after Paul's appeal to the last major Synagogue in Rome, the prophecy of Hosea 1-2 came into play; and Israel became "Lo-Ammi", (not my people), which is still the case today; but probably for not much longer. Also; the prophecies of Duet. became de-facto; all because of the rebellion of Israel, and their unfaithfulness! The events after Acts 28-28; place the Gentiles as "prime object"; and in the "age of the Gentiles"; which is explained by Paul in his "mystery Church" comments! The two positions, i.e. pre-Acts 28-28; and post Acts 28-28; entities, have different eternal destiny's, which, with your lack of knowledge of Jewish background and history, are lost on you!
You are very lacking in your understanding of the purpose of God re. His people the Jews. I recommend some time studying their background.
There is so much conjecture in this I don't know where to begin. Nothing you have proposed is even remotely suggested in any of the NT. Can you provide the "mystery church" comments that you think warrant this entire eschatological system what was foreign to the entire church for over 1800 years?

I suspect you have been heavily cloistered in a church which teaches the old erroneous classes, back to the "church fathers"!
You would be wrong.

I am glad you have seen that the Jew was not excluded by God! That is a good start! You don't however seem to understand the power of Satan working through the churches?
I am baffled by your approach to this. First, Fulfillment Theology or Replacement Theology (as you call it) NEVER suggested that that the Jew were excluded. The whole premise of the view is that the Church consists of both Jews and Gentiles who become children of God by faith in Jesus Christ. God's plans for Jews and Gentiles in Christ have never changed. The Church, consisting of Jews and Gentiles, was always God's plan and ultimate fulfillment of all of his promises. As Paul says, "All of his promises are yes to us in Christ Jesus."

Second, you are proposing that Satan has been working through the church for over 1800 years until Johnny Darby started teaching it in the 1830s. This view isn't even as old as America and somehow it is the only, non-satanic view according to you. Apparently Polycarp, Clement, John Chrysostom, Tertullian, Augustine, Ambrose, Aquinas, Luther, Calvin, Wesley and the rest were all puppets of Satan in their eschatology. Unbelievable.

At the bottom are two Links on my thinking on Paul; which do not back up your assertions.
For future reference, I do not click links. If you have something to share then I will read what you have to say. If I am going to spend my time sifting though a lot of material that covers an entire topic, I would prefer it was backed by an actual publisher and not something some guy I have never heard of threw up on a $5 website one afternoon.

You are getting personal now; which I am trying to avoid! However, you make a good point; much error was accepted, and formulated into some of the Creeds. The unwinding is still underway, and all of us get something wrong; but the merit is in the effort which is sincere!, in the mode of Luther.
I am not trying to get personal. I was simply making the point that your effort to discredit the early church because your views were not held by them is similar to what I encountered in the other forum. I am referencing your mode of argumentation, not commenting on you as a person. That's all I was driving at.

You are at it again Wormwood; I don't have an "eschatology" you must stop trying to brand your thoughts on me, in a defamatory way! It looks as though you are lost for good knowledgeable arguments!
Floyd, this OP is about eschatology. Eschatology is "the study of end times." Dispensationalism is a particular eschatology that teaches that God operates in a different dispensation in the end times. Any teaching that has to do with the end times, the second coming, judgment, etc. is classified as eschatology. John Darby had a particular view on eschatology and you hold to all of its major tenants. I am not branding you with anything nor am I being defamatory. It would be no different than if I were to say we are having a discussion over theology and you have a particular theological view. There is nothing defamatory in the term I assure you.

You are wrong again; and again making up assumptions. You will not be able to rest properly until you are more accepting of the "whole word of God"; and what it will teach you over time!
If we are to have any future communications on this Board; I ask that you stop trying to assume your way out of what you do not want to hear! the problem is not with me; it is as said above, your lack of knowledge, wrong study areas, and wrong conclusions!
I don't understand how my comment was an assumption. I said the book of Revelation was addressed to churches and that I felt like you were ignoring some clear teaching in the NT in order to embrace a theory that is not explicitly stated in Acts 28. Where is your theory explicitly stated in Acts 28 if I am wrongly assuming this?

Anyway, if your views are based in Scripture, I would love to see the texts. Where is the teaching that the Church is a separate dispensation from God's plans for national Israel? Where is the Scripture that says that if the Jews had accepted Jesus, the Church would have been unnecessary? Where is the Scripture about a secret rapture? Where is the Scripture that teaches that God wants Israelites to rebuild their Temple and reinstitute animal sacrifices?

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
[SIZE=12pt]Floyd:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Your comments are not correct re. Dispensationalist understanding. The gentiles were under the same offer as the Jews, but for different reasons. Almighty God wanted His "first born son" to accept their Messiah; which placed the Jew in priority position! At their failure after Paul's appeal to the last major Synagogue in Rome, the prophecy of Hosea 1-2 came into play; and Israel became "Lo-Ammi", (not my people), which is still the case today; but probably for not much longer. Also; the prophecies of Duet. became de-facto; all because of the rebellion of Israel, and their unfaithfulness! The events after Acts 28-28; place the Gentiles as "prime object"; and in the "age of the Gentiles"; which is explained by Paul in his "mystery Church" comments! The two positions, i.e. pre-Acts 28-28; and post Acts 28-28; entities, have different eternal destiny's, which, with your lack of knowledge of Jewish background and history, are lost on you![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]You are very lacking in your understanding of the purpose of God re. His people the Jews. I recommend some time studying their background.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Wormwood:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]There is so much conjecture in this I don't know where to begin. Nothing you have proposed is even remotely suggested in any of the NT. Can you provide the "mystery church" comments that you think warrant this entire eschatological system what was foreign to the entire church for over 1800 years?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]What you call conjecture is your lack of knowledge, and your indoctrination; I have asked you repeatedly to avoid your use of sweeping naive statements![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]If you can learn; let’s try! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]You have said that you refuse to study Links; that is to your disadvantage; as you insist on asking questions that you should already know the answers to; as a Leader on this Board![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]As you will not learn when you ask questions, how do we get our message over to you, as you are so dictatorial?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]If you had studied the Links I gave you on Paul, you would have seen the answers to your points![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Paul was/is “a chosen vessel”; his excellency of learning meant that Christ Jesus chose him to explain to the Jews the details of the transition from their mindset based on the Law; to that of the Grace of Almighty God. As I said to you before, the period of his mission to the Jews was the Acts period, when the Jew was “first” in the priority of their Jehovah. During that period, the Holy Spirit was active in a different way to that after the end of Acts; and many gifts were evident, including healing and foreign languages; all with the purpose of drawing the Jews (and gentiles) into the new era of God’s Grace. Paul elucidates this in Romans 11:25-27; which confirms that God keeps His promises to the Patriarchs. Rom.16:25-26 again shows the confirmation of the “secret” of the “mystery”; but here adds that it had been kept that way “since the world began”. Discussions as to why “since the world began”, usually conclude, that it was deemed by God prudent to keep the information from Satan; and as you won’t study Links, I refrain from giving you information on that subject; you will have to do some work![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]So; in conclusion, the “mystery or secret” of God’s free gift of “pardon” was for Israel’s benefit, but it was refused! That is why the statement is made by Paul at Acts 28:25-28; and if you choose to ignore it, that is to your detriment, short and long term![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]That is why the general term “mystery church” is used, as it is now the gentiles “free gift” to those that will see! Although it is the gentile “Age” Rom.11:25 and Chp.15; the Jew can still participate if they will, most don’t; and, there is a “veil” placed on their understanding now, which will not be removed until they reach the event of Zech. 12:10![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]This is the last time I will spell this out for you, if you choose to remain obdurate; that is your choice; and as said, to your detriment short and long term; and I feel I should say, under reprimand from Christ Jesus, when you meet Him at the “Bema Judgement”.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Quote from Floyd:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]I am glad you have seen that the Jew was not excluded by God! That is a good start! You don't however seem to understand the power of Satan working through the churches? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I am baffled by your approach to this. First, Fulfillment Theology or Replacement Theology (as you call it) NEVER suggested that that the Jew were excluded. The whole premise of the view is that the Church consists of both Jews and Gentiles who become children of God by faith in Jesus Christ. God's plans for Jews and Gentiles in Christ have never changed. The Church, consisting of Jews and Gentiles, was always God's plan and ultimate fulfillment of all of his promises. As Paul says, "All of his promises are yes to us in Christ Jesus."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]As you can see above, you have been working under a misapprehension regarding my earlier posts. The above clears that! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Second, you are proposing that Satan has been working through the church for over 1800 years until Johnny Darby started teaching it in the 1830s. This view isn't even as old as America and somehow it is the only, non-satanic view according to you. Apparently Polycarp, Clement, John Chrysostom, Tertullian, Augustine, Ambrose, Aquinas, Luther, Calvin, Wesley and the rest were all puppets of Satan in their eschatology. Unbelievable.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]You are given to sarcasm Wormwood; it’s a bad habit, and will land you in trouble at work (if you do work). The people you quote are just some of the many who (in the main) have labored sincerely in the Word. You again are trying to usurp the statement I made! I mentioned J.N.Darby only as a note on the history of changes in thinking and Scripture interpretation. You asked me questions previously; I have one for you:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]What do you think of Roman Church teachings from AD 380 onwards? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Wormwood: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]For future reference, I do not click links. If you have something to share then I will read what you have to say. If I am going to spend my time sifting though a lot of material that covers an entire topic, I would prefer it was backed by an actual publisher and not something some guy I have never heard of threw up on a $5 website one afternoon. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]As I said, you have a quite major fault in your lack of humility, and your sarcasm![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Quote Floyd:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]You are getting personal now; which I am trying to avoid! However, you make a good point; much error was accepted, and formulated into some of the Creeds. The unwinding is still underway, and all of us get something wrong; but the merit is in the effort which is sincere!, in the mode of Luther.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I am not trying to get personal. I was simply making the point that your effort to discredit the early church because your views were not held by them is similar to what I encountered in the other forum. I am referencing your mode of argumentation, not commenting on you as a person. That's all I was driving at.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]I repeat; these views are not mine in origin! They are held worldwide; not just by me in my own research; but by eminent Bible student past and present. I am under the impression Wormwood that you have led/lead a very cloistered life, in a small world. If I am right, you would benefit from a few years of travel to all Continents, to broaden your view, and to take off some of your sharp edges; which will work wonders on your personality! You clearly have good academic qualifications (ie. your very able responses on the Trinity battles), but I fear your people skills need some work![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Wormwood:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Floyd, this OP is about eschatology. Eschatology is "the study of end times." Dispensationalism is a particular eschatology that teaches that God operates in a different dispensation in the end times. Any teaching that has to do with the end times, the second coming, judgment, etc. is classified as eschatology. John Darby had a particular view on eschatology and you hold to all of its major tenants. I am not branding you with anything nor am I being defamatory. It would be no different than if I were to say we are having a discussion over theology and you have a particular theological view. There is nothing defamatory in the term I assure you.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] Floyd:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]You are wrong again! Darby is only one small part of my past study. Thanks for the basic lesson; but I am aware as to what the definition of eschatology is, but thanks! You state that “ I hold to all of its major tenants”; why do you say that? Look again at what has been written by me; you will find that you are wrong. I have said this before (ad-nausea), you must stop attributing to me, thing and statements which are not so! It is a very irritating habit of yours!!! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Quote Floyd: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]You are wrong again; and again making up assumptions. You will not be able to rest properly until you are more accepting of the "whole word of God"; and what it will teach you over time![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]If we are to have any future communications on this Board; I ask that you stop trying to assume your way out of what you do not want to hear! The problem is not with me; it is as said above, your lack of knowledge, wrong study areas, and wrong conclusions![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]I don't understand how my comment was an assumption. I said the book of Revelation was addressed to churches and that I felt like you were ignoring some clear teaching in the NT in order to embrace a theory that is not explicitly stated in Acts 28. Where is your theory explicitly stated in Acts 28 if I am wrongly assuming this? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]See above detailed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Anyway, if your views are based in Scripture, I would love to see the texts. Where is the teaching that the Church is a separate dispensation from God's plans for national Israel? Where is the Scripture that says that if the Jews had accepted Jesus, the Church would have been unnecessary? Where is the Scripture about a secret rapture? Where is the Scripture that teaches that God wants Israelites to rebuild their Temple and reinstitute animal sacrifices?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]This last statement of yours is again obfuscation. I have not stated what you have written! You need to again reread! The detail is given above![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]As regards the Rapture question; my views on this are very unsure, I state this frequently in discussions. What I am convinced about, is that the Church is “not destined for Wrath”; this being the wrath of God in the Tribulation.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Regarding your comment re. the Millennial Temple; as I wrote you earlier, the detail of that is in Ezekiel.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]There is enough here for you to study for now, but, there is much more detail.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Floyd[/SIZE]

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
South Point, Hawaii (Big Island)
Floyd said:
[SIZE=12pt]Your comments are not correct re. Dispensationalist understanding. The gentiles were under the same offer as the Jews, but for different reasons. Almighty God wanted His "first born son" to accept their Messiah; which placed the Jew in priority position! At their failure after Paul's appeal to the last major Synagogue in Rome, the prophecy of Hosea 1-2 came into play; and Israel became "Lo-Ammi", (not my people), which is still the case today; but probably for not much longer. Also; the prophecies of Duet. became de-facto; all because of the rebellion of Israel, and their unfaithfulness! The events after Acts 28-28; place the Gentiles as "prime object"; and in the "age of the Gentiles"; which is explained by Paul in his "mystery Church" comments! The two positions, i.e. pre-Acts 28-28; and post Acts 28-28; entities, have different eternal destiny's, which, with your lack of knowledge of Jewish background and history, are lost on you![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]You are very lacking in your understanding of the purpose of God re. His people the Jews. I recommend some time studying their background.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]There is so much conjecture in this I don't know where to begin. Nothing you have proposed is even remotely suggested in any of the NT. Can you provide the "mystery church" comments that you think warrant this entire eschatological system what was foreign to the entire church for over 1800 years?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]What you call conjecture is your lack of knowledge, and your indoctrination; I have asked you repeatedly to avoid your use of sweeping naive statements![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]If you can learn; let’s try! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]You have said that you refuse to study Links; that is to your disadvantage; as you insist on asking questions that you should already know the answers to; as a Leader on this Board![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]As you will not learn when you ask questions, how do we get our message over to you, as you are so dictatorial?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]If you had studied the Links I gave you on Paul, you would have seen the answers to your points![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Paul was/is “a chosen vessel”; his excellency of learning meant that Christ Jesus chose him to explain to the Jews the details of the transition from their mindset based on the Law; to that of the Grace of Almighty God. As I said to you before, the period of his mission to the Jews was the Acts period, when the Jew was “first” in the priority of their Jehovah. During that period, the Holy Spirit was active in a different way to that after the end of Acts; and many gifts were evident, including healing and foreign languages; all with the purpose of drawing the Jews (and gentiles) into the new era of God’s Grace. Paul elucidates this in Romans 11:25-27; which confirms that God keeps His promises to the Patriarchs. Rom.16:25-26 again shows the confirmation of the “secret” of the “mystery”; but here adds that it had been kept that way “since the world began”. Discussions as to why “since the world began”, usually conclude, that it was deemed by God prudent to keep the information from Satan; and as you won’t study Links, I refrain from giving you information on that subject; you will have to do some work![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]So; in conclusion, the “mystery or secret” of God’s free gift of “pardon” was for Israel’s benefit, but it was refused! That is why the statement is made by Paul at Acts 28:25-28; and if you choose to ignore it, that is to your detriment, short and long term![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]That is why the general term “mystery church” is used, as it is now the gentiles “free gift” to those that will see! Although it is the gentile “Age” Rom.11:25 and Chp.15; the Jew can still participate if they will, most don’t; and, there is a “veil” placed on their understanding now, which will not be removed until they reach the event of Zech. 12:10![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]This is the last time I will spell this out for you, if you choose to remain obdurate; that is your choice; and as said, to your detriment short and long term; and I feel I should say, under reprimand from Christ Jesus, when you meet Him at the “Bema Judgement”.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Quote from Floyd:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]I am glad you have seen that the Jew was not excluded by God! That is a good start! You don't however seem to understand the power of Satan working through the churches? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I am baffled by your approach to this. First, Fulfillment Theology or Replacement Theology (as you call it) NEVER suggested that that the Jew were excluded. The whole premise of the view is that the Church consists of both Jews and Gentiles who become children of God by faith in Jesus Christ. God's plans for Jews and Gentiles in Christ have never changed. The Church, consisting of Jews and Gentiles, was always God's plan and ultimate fulfillment of all of his promises. As Paul says, "All of his promises are yes to us in Christ Jesus."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]As you can see above, you have been working under a misapprehension regarding my earlier posts. The above clears that! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Second, you are proposing that Satan has been working through the church for over 1800 years until Johnny Darby started teaching it in the 1830s. This view isn't even as old as America and somehow it is the only, non-satanic view according to you. Apparently Polycarp, Clement, John Chrysostom, Tertullian, Augustine, Ambrose, Aquinas, Luther, Calvin, Wesley and the rest were all puppets of Satan in their eschatology. Unbelievable.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]You are given to sarcasm Wormwood; it’s a bad habit, and will land you in trouble at work (if you do work). The people you quote are just some of the many who (in the main) have labored sincerely in the Word. You again are trying to usurp the statement I made! I mentioned J.N.Darby only as a note on the history of changes in thinking and Scripture interpretation. You asked me questions previously; I have one for you:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]What do you think of Roman Church teachings from AD 380 onwards? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]For future reference, I do not click links. If you have something to share then I will read what you have to say. If I am going to spend my time sifting though a lot of material that covers an entire topic, I would prefer it was backed by an actual publisher and not something some guy I have never heard of threw up on a $5 website one afternoon. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]As I said, you have a quite major fault in your lack of humility, and your sarcasm![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Quote Floyd:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]You are getting personal now; which I am trying to avoid! However, you make a good point; much error was accepted, and formulated into some of the Creeds. The unwinding is still underway, and all of us get something wrong; but the merit is in the effort which is sincere!, in the mode of Luther.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I am not trying to get personal. I was simply making the point that your effort to discredit the early church because your views were not held by them is similar to what I encountered in the other forum. I am referencing your mode of argumentation, not commenting on you as a person. That's all I was driving at.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]I repeat; these views are not mine in origin! They are held worldwide; not just by me in my own research; but by eminent Bible student past and present. I am under the impression Wormwood that you have led/lead a very cloistered life, in a small world. If I am right, you would benefit from a few years of travel to all Continents, to broaden your view, and to take off some of your sharp edges; which will work wonders on your personality! You clearly have good academic qualifications (ie. your very able responses on the Trinity battles), but I fear your people skills need some work![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Floyd, this OP is about eschatology. Eschatology is "the study of end times." Dispensationalism is a particular eschatology that teaches that God operates in a different dispensation in the end times. Any teaching that has to do with the end times, the second coming, judgment, etc. is classified as eschatology. John Darby had a particular view on eschatology and you hold to all of its major tenants. I am not branding you with anything nor am I being defamatory. It would be no different than if I were to say we are having a discussion over theology and you have a particular theological view. There is nothing defamatory in the term I assure you.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] Floyd:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]You are wrong again! Darby is only one small part of my past study. Thanks for the basic lesson; but I am aware as to what the definition of eschatology is, but thanks! You state that “ I hold to all of its major tenants”; why do you say that? Look again at what has been written by me; you will find that you are wrong. I have said this before (ad-nausea), you must stop attributing to me, thing and statements which are not so! It is a very irritating habit of yours!!! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Quote Floyd: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]You are wrong again; and again making up assumptions. You will not be able to rest properly until you are more accepting of the "whole word of God"; and what it will teach you over time![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]If we are to have any future communications on this Board; I ask that you stop trying to assume your way out of what you do not want to hear! The problem is not with me; it is as said above, your lack of knowledge, wrong study areas, and wrong conclusions![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]I don't understand how my comment was an assumption. I said the book of Revelation was addressed to churches and that I felt like you were ignoring some clear teaching in the NT in order to embrace a theory that is not explicitly stated in Acts 28. Where is your theory explicitly stated in Acts 28 if I am wrongly assuming this? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]See above detailed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Anyway, if your views are based in Scripture, I would love to see the texts. Where is the teaching that the Church is a separate dispensation from God's plans for national Israel? Where is the Scripture that says that if the Jews had accepted Jesus, the Church would have been unnecessary? Where is the Scripture about a secret rapture? Where is the Scripture that teaches that God wants Israelites to rebuild their Temple and reinstitute animal sacrifices?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]This last statement of yours is again obfuscation. I have not stated what you have written! You need to again reread! The detail is given above![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]As regards the Rapture question; my views on this are very unsure, I state this frequently in discussions. What I am convinced about, is that the Church is “not destined for Wrath”; this being the wrath of God in the Tribulation.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Regarding your comment re. the Millennial Temple; as I wrote you earlier, the detail of that is in Ezekiel.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]There is enough here for you to study for now, but, there is much more detail.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Floyd[/SIZE]
Thank you Floyd for caring again!

Only a head's up. IThess.4:17 contextually only deals with the Saints ("believers"), ie, "be snatched" (A.V. "caught up"). All (everyone from Adam forward) will be snatched into the air descendindg to the earth where judgment will take place, that is, the earth and heaven will be one again. My point:

All will be raised up, not partial, thus "1" resurrection in light of Jn.5:28, 29; 6:39, and Dan.12:2, ie, all "Rapturist" need to purge their 1830 "Rapture" view.

Old merging Jack

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014

Only a head's up. IThess.4:17 contextually only deals with the Saints ("believers"), ie, "be snatched" (A.V. "caught up"). All (everyone from Adam forward) will be snatched into the air descendindg to the earth where judgment will take place, that is, the earth and heaven will be one again. My point:

All will be raised up, not partial, thus "1" resurrection in light of Jn.5:28, 29; 6:39, and Dan.12:2, ie, all "Rapturist" need to purge their 1830 "Rapture" view.

Old merging Jack

Thanks for your comment there Jack.
Floyd.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Floyd,

It appears you are taking my comments and tone the wrong way. I am not angry and I am not trying to belittle you. I am asking questions that, for the most part, you do not answer and then get upset that I am making assumptions about your beliefs. I do not know why my comments tend to rub you the wrong way, but it seems to me that I am the one who has a right to be upset about the course of this conversation, not you (and I am not upset, I assure you. I write this with joy and happiness in my heart :) ).

Thus far you have asserted that my beliefs are satanic, that I will be reprimanded by Jesus for my views, I am dictatorial, my personality is rough, I am unwilling to learn and I'm an anti-Semite. And you are the one who is feeling picked on? Sheesh. I have said nothing about you personally, your character, your attitude or ever implied your views are evil. I have only questioned how much of these views are based in the Bible while defending my own. I assure you, I am quite familiar with the core issues behind your beliefs with regards to rapture (pre or post trib is not the issue), national Israel, the rebuilding of the Temple, your view of the Church, and the literal 1,000 year reign. If you have some nuances that differ from the Dispensationalism that Darby promoted, they seem to be small issues that I am not trying to split hairs over.

As far as my unwillingness to learn: My refusal to click your links has nothing to do with an unwillingness to learn on my part. Mainly it has to do with time constraints. I have a very busy life, and I don't really have time to click on dozens of links to find out the nuances of your idea that I am already very familiar with for the most part. I have read numerous books on these issues and am extremely familiar with the differences between Amillennialism, Dispensational Premillennialism, Postmillennialism, Historic Premillennialism, etc. I assure you I have not come to the conclusions I hold by only looking at one view. If you have a book to recommend, I would be happy to look into it when I have time. I prefer to lean from people who have their work approved by publishers rather than a random person who has posted something on the web. Anyone can post things on the web and there is no way to ensure the accuracy of online sources. It's one of the reasons why scholars generally do not post websites in their bibliographies.

As far as my personality: People who know me say I am a nice guy. I try to be kind and address these issues both with a degree of seriousness as well as a little humor. Yes, I can be a little sarcastic at times. But I try to direct all my comments at theological concepts and not individuals. I would encourage you to try to separate the two as you seem more than eager to criticize me as an individual. You do not really know me so I think this is a bit unfair.

Now, lets look at the information you provided on your views:

I don't disagree with your views that Paul was God's chosen vessel to reach the Gentiles and that he went to the Jew first. Certainly they were the people that God had used throughout history, they were the lineage of Christ and had been awaiting the promises of God to be fulfilled throughout history. Yes, God desired that the Good News of the Kingdom of God and the reign of Christ go to them first. I have no issue with that. However, the Gentiles were being reached far before Acts 28. It appears to me from your comments that the "age of the Gentiles" was something that came into being in Acts 28, but the book of Acts shows that Paul had been reaching the Gentiles and raising up churches all over the empire for decades before Acts 28. This does not make sense to me. Most who hold your views see Acts 4 as the tipping point that opened up the Gospel to the Gentiles. In any event, I don't think Romans 11 has to do with a new age that has been introduced as a result of the Israelites rejecting Jesus. Rather, it seems that Paul is teaching here that the Church was part of God's plan from the beginning. God has chosen to show grace to all. Grace has gone to the Gentiles who have lived in ignorance and sin and grace would be shown to the Israelites who were originally rejecting God's righteousness in Christ. I do not see any text here that suggests that the Church is a parenthesis and that God would one day take the Church out of the picture in order to reinstitute sacrifice, rebuild the Temple and go back to the theocratic kingdom of the OT. Jesus is the fulfillment of the Law and Prophets and the church is the fruit of the "mystery" that Paul was revealing to the world through Christ.

If you would like, I would be happy to do a close, chapter by chapter examination of the book of Romans to explain why I feel there is nothing in Paul's writings there that suggest what you are asserting. However, I get the feeling you may be tired of me at this point. I don't want to press the issue if you are getting upset by the conversation.

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
Floyd said:

Old merging Jack

Thanks for your comment there Jack.
Floyd.
Thank you brother Floyd, ie, wasn't meaning to lean on your words too hard,

Old 'leaning' on Jesus, Jack

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
shturt678 said:
Thank you brother Floyd, ie, wasn't meaning to lean on your words too hard,

Old 'leaning' on Jesus, Jack
No problem jack.
Wormwood said:
Floyd,

It appears you are taking my comments and tone the wrong way. I am not angry and I am not trying to belittle you. I am asking questions that, for the most part, you do not answer and then get upset that I am making assumptions about your beliefs. I do not know why my comments tend to rub you the wrong way, but it seems to me that I am the one who has a right to be upset about the course of this conversation, not you (and I am not upset, I assure you. I write this with joy and happiness in my heart :) ).

Thus far you have asserted that my beliefs are satanic, that I will be reprimanded by Jesus for my views, I am dictatorial, my personality is rough, I am unwilling to learn and I'm an anti-Semite. And you are the one who is feeling picked on? Sheesh. I have said nothing about you personally, your character, your attitude or ever implied your views are evil. I have only questioned how much of these views are based in the Bible while defending my own. I assure you, I am quite familiar with the core issues behind your beliefs with regards to rapture (pre or post trib is not the issue), national Israel, the rebuilding of the Temple, your view of the Church, and the literal 1,000 year reign. If you have some nuances that differ from the Dispensationalism that Darby promoted, they seem to be small issues that I am not trying to split hairs over.

As far as my unwillingness to learn: My refusal to click your links has nothing to do with an unwillingness to learn on my part. Mainly it has to do with time constraints. I have a very busy life, and I don't really have time to click on dozens of links to find out the nuances of your idea that I am already very familiar with for the most part. I have read numerous books on these issues and am extremely familiar with the differences between Amillennialism, Dispensational Premillennialism, Postmillennialism, Historic Premillennialism, etc. I assure you I have not come to the conclusions I hold by only looking at one view. If you have a book to recommend, I would be happy to look into it when I have time. I prefer to lean from people who have their work approved by publishers rather than a random person who has posted something on the web. Anyone can post things on the web and there is no way to ensure the accuracy of online sources. It's one of the reasons why scholars generally do not post websites in their bibliographies.

As far as my personality: People who know me say I am a nice guy. I try to be kind and address these issues both with a degree of seriousness as well as a little humor. Yes, I can be a little sarcastic at times. But I try to direct all my comments at theological concepts and not individuals. I would encourage you to try to separate the two as you seem more than eager to criticize me as an individual. You do not really know me so I think this is a bit unfair.

Now, lets look at the information you provided on your views:

I don't disagree with your views that Paul was God's chosen vessel to reach the Gentiles and that he went to the Jew first. Certainly they were the people that God had used throughout history, they were the lineage of Christ and had been awaiting the promises of God to be fulfilled throughout history. Yes, God desired that the Good News of the Kingdom of God and the reign of Christ go to them first. I have no issue with that. However, the Gentiles were being reached far before Acts 28. It appears to me from your comments that the "age of the Gentiles" was something that came into being in Acts 28, but the book of Acts shows that Paul had been reaching the Gentiles and raising up churches all over the empire for decades before Acts 28. This does not make sense to me. Most who hold your views see Acts 4 as the tipping point that opened up the Gospel to the Gentiles. In any event, I don't think Romans 11 has to do with a new age that has been introduced as a result of the Israelites rejecting Jesus. Rather, it seems that Paul is teaching here that the Church was part of God's plan from the beginning. God has chosen to show grace to all. Grace has gone to the Gentiles who have lived in ignorance and sin and grace would be shown to the Israelites who were originally rejecting God's righteousness in Christ. I do not see any text here that suggests that the Church is a parenthesis and that God would one day take the Church out of the picture in order to reinstitute sacrifice, rebuild the Temple and go back to the theocratic kingdom of the OT. Jesus is the fulfillment of the Law and Prophets and the church is the fruit of the "mystery" that Paul was revealing to the world through Christ.

If you would like, I would be happy to do a close, chapter by chapter examination of the book of Romans to explain why I feel there is nothing in Paul's writings there that suggest what you are asserting. However, I get the feeling you may be tired of me at this point. I don't want to press the issue if you are getting upset by the conversation.
Thanks your reply Wormwood.

Obviously; I still think you are wrong in many areas on this most important subject.
However; its understanding does not affect Salvation in Christ!

Just a few comments, then I think I will leave this to long term gestation in your heart and mind.

You state emphatically above that Paul was not a chosen vessel; Acts 9:15 states: (NKJV) "For he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel".

Regarding Gentiles converting before Acts 28:28; yes that's right; it has not been denied or commented on! What you are wrong on is the fact of the transition from the Age of the Jew, to that of the Gentile, which did establish at the end of Acts! This Gentile Age will not come to an end (NKJV) " until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in":
This is not the church in "parenthesis" as you call it; but a continuation of God's Plan of Salvation of both Jew and Gentile! But; the Gentiles (defined as all the world's none Jews) are in Almighty God's priority at present, until that "fullness" is complete; which only He knows the number, and the timing.

As regards timing of the end of the Gentile Age; I am of the firm opinion that Israel are the main signpost, together with the events of that area.
I am also of the opinion, that time is not too far away. That is why the "right division of Scripture" is so important.

I do not wish to comment further on your personality etc. , except to say, your academic rigour has equipped you with special tools, which when led by the Holy Spirit; will be of great benefit to "the Body of Christ".

Floyd.
Apologies Wormwood; I misread your comment on "Paul as a chosen vessel".
Floyd.

Wormwood:
I am getting a list together of acknowledged Authors as you requested, some from a friend in London; which you will find of interest.
Floyd.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Floyd. I'd be happy to share some titles from my perspective as well if you are interested in reading a different view on this matter. I agree this is not a matter of salvation, nor something to be overly concerned about. Thanks for your kind words.

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shabbat shalom, Wormwood.

Wormwood said:
Revelation 20 has become one of the most divisive chapters in the Bible. Fierce debates have arisen about Israel, timelines, notions of Antichrist and great tribulation periods that have frustrated and confused many. I certainly do not believe that issues of eschatology are matters worth dividing the church over. Yet, some denominations include particular millennial views as requirements for membership. I find this to be unfortunate. The purpose of this post is not to increase the divide (although I am sure there will be some healthy debate on the issue) but to show why I believe the Amillennial view to be a valid eschatological approach that deserves a second look. Even if we disagree, I think it is important to understand that other views have valid points that are worthy of respect and consideration.

A brief definition:
Amillennialism is the view that 1,000 year period mentioned in Revelation is a symbolic number that should be understood qualitatively rather than quantitatively. Also, amillennialists believe that the promises made to Israel, David, and Abraham in the OT find their fulfillment in Jesus Christ and the church in the present age. The "millennium" is a unspecified period of time between the two advents of the Lord Jesus. Christ is currently reigning in heaven during the period between the two advents. It rejects the notion of a 7 year tribulation, secret rapture and dispensational understanding of God's interaction with humanity. Rather, the second coming, resurrection of good and evil, rapture and judgment all occur on the same day and are not events spread out over years, decades or centuries.

Defending a symbolic understanding of the 1,000 years:
Many object to Amillennialism because they claim it rejects a "literal" reading of Revelation 20. However, I find that those who claim to read Revelation "literally" quite simply do not. If so, then we must conclude that Jesus has seven eyes and seven horns, Jesus literally looks like a butchered lamb in heaven, dragons, beasts and locusts with hair will literally roam the earth, and a giant prostitute will ride around on a monstrous beast with multiple heads and crowns, drinking glasses of blood. I have yet to find someone who claims to read Revelation "literally" to make such an argument. So the question is not who interprets Revelation literally, but where do we draw the lines between that which is symbolic and that which is specific. I would argue that Revelation is full of symbolic numbers, such as 6, 7, 12 and multiples of 10. For instance, seven churches, seven eyes, seven horns, seven seals, seven lampstands, seven trumpets, seven heads, seven hills etc. Then there are ten heads, ten crowns, ten days of persecution, 10,000 x 10,000, 144,000 (10x10x10x12x12), and 1,000 years (10x10x10). In my estimation, pretty much all the numbers in revelation are symbolic. Are there really only 10,000 x 10,000 angels in heaven? Did John count them all? Are there really 2 million people in the army of Armageddon? Did John count them? Did Jesus really mean that people would only be persecuted for 10 days? If so, why does he say to remain faithful, even unto death?

The immanent return of Christ:
One reason I hold to the Amillennial view is that it makes the most sense of Christ's teaching about his return. It seems evident to me that Paul and the Apostles expected Jesus to return at any moment. They were not waiting for the Temple to be rebuilt (those that lived after 70AD) or the entire nation of Israel coming to faith in Christ. Neither is there any indication that they expected any sort of secret rapture that would take all the Christians out of the world. Rather, Jesus told his disciples to "watch" because they "do not know the day or hour." In fact, the entire point of all of Jesus' parables about his return is that it comes in a moment when no one is expecting it so therefore believers should live every moment like the Master will return. There is no indication that his return will be delayed for 7 years after an initial rapture. Moreover, there is nothing to indicate the "rapture" to be silent. Rather, Paul indicates that it will be preceded by the appearance of Christ, the voice of the archangel, the trumpet of God and the resurrection of the good and evil. In fact, when Jesus speaks of those who are "taken away" in Matthew 24, he is referring to the flood. Those who were "taken away" were the wicked while those who were "left" behind were the righteous (Noah and his family)! You do not want to be "left behind!"

The millennial age:
Finally, I think most of the views about the "millennial age" have absolutely nothing to do with Revelation 20. Revelation 20 says very little about the 1,000 years other than that Satan will be bound so that he can "deceive the nations" no longer. It never says anything about people living to be 300 years old or lions laying down with lambs. It says nothing bout the exaltation of national Israel. All of these concepts have been imposed upon Revelation 20 from the Old Testament. The only thing mentioned about Revelation 20 is the binding of Satan, his inability to deceive, and the coming to life of those who refused to worship the beast so they could reign with Christ 1,000 years.

My contention is that this "first resurrection" has to do with those who are baptized in Christ and die in the faith. As Jesus declared, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.” (Cf. John 11:25–26) There is no place else in the NT that speaks of two resurrections of the righteous, except when referring to the "first resurrection" as being "raised with Christ" through faith in him. It only makes sense that those who take part of this first resurrection have no fear of the "second death" (hell). Moreover, the NT is very clear that Jesus came to "bind the enemy" and "render powerless" the works of the devil. The Gospel is the power of God to save all who believe. At one time, entire nations were deceived and enslaved. But now, by the preaching of the Gospel, the enemy is bound and powerless to prevent people from finding life and hope in Christ.

Well, I suppose I could write for a long time on this. But I would rather hear from you. What are your thoughts?
Regarding a "symbolic understanding of the 1000 years," that they represent "a long time," the argument is insufficient. The "literal" view of the Scriptures is actually the historical/grammatical interpretation of the Scriptures. I've said it before, but I'm probably the MOST literal of all the posters on this forum. You might remember my arguments for a literal dragon (Greek: drakoon = large reptile) which is also called the "original snake!" I.e., haSatan (which is Hebrew for "the Enemy" or "the Adversary") was indeed the serpent (snake) in the garden of `Eden. I pointed out that the ORDER of how the statement was made was significant: that is, "the original snake IS the Devil and Satan," NOT the other way around, "the Devil and Satan are the original snake!" This suggests that, unlike the modern demonological viewpoint, the CREATURE was first, not the "angel" Lucifer!

Regarding the "seven eyes," the thing you're not understanding is that Revelation, like all the other books of the New Testament (and the whole Bible) were originally written in Hebrew (or its cousin, Aramaic, the Syrian version of the same language). These languages were translated into the Koine Greek that we have mere copies of today. In Hebrew, the word for "eye" is "`ayin," which also happens to be the name of the 16th letter of the Hebrew alef-bet (alphabet). Thus, like Zechariah 3:9, they are not "eyes" with which to see but are seven LETTERS! They are seven LINES or STATEMENTS that all begin with the letter "`ayin!"

In the same way, the "seven horns" could also be from the Hebrew word "qeren," which actually does mean "horn" but it also means a "flask (a horn-shaped container)," a "cornet (shofar, a musical instrument made out of an animal horn)," an "ivory tusk (a horn-like tooth)," a "corner" (of the altar tipped with horns), a "mountain peak (like the Matterhorn)," a "ray (of light, horn-like glowings)," and Strong's adds "power in a figurative sense." Thus, it can mean seven "MOUNTAIN PEAKS" or seven "POINTS" in a thesis!

And, I believe that I've written about the locusts of Revelation 9 that they will be literal locusts of a species not known as yet. That is, they will be arthropods with hind legs made for jumping as their overall appearance; however, they will have features that are ... "enhancements" to the normal grasshopper. For instance, they will have stings in their "tails" (abdomens) with poison like that of scorpions, and the Egyptian scorpion has a nerve toxin that, in sufficient quantities, can induce paralysis and immobilization. The chitin of their thoraxes will be as though they were made out of iron - impenetrable armor. They will be larger than modern locusts because the sound of their wings will sound like "horses and chariots running to battle." They will SEEM to have "faces like the faces of men"; that is, they will have bumps and features that RESEMBLE human faces on the fronts of their heads, and they will have hairs not just on the head but all over their bodies that are long and fine hairs, like the hair of women. They will also have antennae that resemble yellow laurel wreathes of gold! And, their mandibles will have sharp, long points resembling the teeth of lions. They will have a king much as ants and bees have queens, and the name of the king, "Abaddown" in Hebrew or "Apolluoon" in Greek, which both mean "Destruction" (NOT "Destroyer"), implies the means by which this species is limited to five months: Once their king dies, the species dies with him.

Regarding all the numbers in Revelation, the numbers are CONTROLLED; they are NOT "symbolic!" God has PLANNED for there to be "seven trumpets (shofars)" and "seven vials (bowls)" and "seven lamp stands (menorahs)" but they don't "represent" something else; they are SELECTED to be that number of objects, just as the number seven was stamped on the furniture of the Tabernacle and in the actions and activities of the children of Isra'el during the times of Mosheh (Moses) and Yhowshua` (Joshua), e.g., the march around Yreechow (Jericho) - seven days and seven times around on the seventh day! God has MARKED seven on many things since the week of Creation, but they don't "represent" anything else! The numbers are to be taken literally. Yochanan (John) did NOT count the 200,000,000-member cavalry; he "HEARD the number of them!" SOMEONE ELSE had already counted them!

Regarding the "immanent return of Christ," that's the WRONG WORD! It's the "IMMINENT" return of the Messiah! "Immanent" means "inherent"; "imminent" means "impending." The problem you have (as I see it) is that you still don't understand what "Christ" means! What it means to be "anointed!" What it means to be a "Messiah!" How did that word impact the Isra'elites of Yeshua`s day? It's not some nebulous term meaning that He is the "Son of God"; it had a very SPECIFIC meaning to the Isra'eliy people! And, Yeshua` was NOT using a "broad stroke of the brush" to paint including the Gentiles! He was using a term that was SPECIFICALLY understood to fulfill the prophecies of the Tanakh (the OT)!

Regarding the "seven years" of tribulation, I agree with you. There's no connection between the seven years of Dani'el's seventieth Seven and the tribulation spoken about in the Olivet Discourse nor in the book of Revelation. Just the same, you've lumped too many judgments into one. There is not only a general judgment at the BEGINNING of the Millennium; there will also be a general judgment at the END of the Millennium. However, the Millennium mentioned SIX TIMES in as many verses in Revelation 20 is not JUST about the incarceration of haSatan! One must NEVER forget the complexity of Revelation 20:4-6!

Revelation 20:4-6
4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
KJV

The statement at the end of verse 5 is for verse 4, the first part of verse 5 is in anticipation for the remainder of the chapter. That is common in Hebrew literature. It's common for Hebrew writers to telegraph what is coming ahead of time. It's rather like giving all the major points of the outline before delving into the finer points under the first major point. We like to present our literature in an outline form that is familiar and comfortable to us:

I. First major point
A. First minor point under the first major point
B. Second minor point under the first major point
II. Second major point
A. First minor point under the second major point
B. Second minor point under the second major point
III. Third major point
A. First minor point under the third major point
B. Second minor point under the third major point

In Hebrew literature, the presentation is more like this:

I. First major point
II. Second major point
III. Third major point
A. First minor point under the first major point
B. Second minor point under the first major point
A. First minor point under the second major point
B. Second minor point under the second major point
A. First minor point under the third major point
B. Second minor point under the third major point

Thus, from our perspective, the first part of verse 5 is PARENTHETICAL to the matter of the First Resurrection! The pronoun "this" in the latter portion of verse 5 does NOT point to the first part of verse 5; it points rather to verse 4!

Also, there is a chronological order between chapters 19 and 20. Remember that there were NO chapter divisions in the original text! Yeshua` returns to the earth in chapters 11 (beginning in verse 15) through 19. Thus, the reign spoken about in chapter 20 is HIS reign and that of His subjects who reign with Him during that time. We are told in Luke 1:30-33 that Yeshua`s reign will be forever and in Revelation 22:5 that the reign of His people will also be forever. Therefore, the thousand years ONLY applies to the incarceration of haSatan. Nevertheless, Yeshua`s (and His subjects') reign does not begin until AFTER He has returned.

Furthermore, just because a "thousand years" may be a simple number that doesn't negate the fact that the number is a SPECIFIC point on the number line! IF the number was actually some number beyond 2014 - 33 = 1981 years, then why limit it to a "thousand?" Why not say that it's closer to "TWO thousand years?"

Finally, your "contention is that this 'first resurrection' has to do with those who are baptized in Christ and die in the faith" is ridiculous. Since when is "resurrection" to be found in DEATH?! NONSENSE! The resurrection is as described in 1 Corinthians 15:

1 Corinthians 15:35-54
35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?
36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:
37 And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain:
38 But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.
39 All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.
40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

KJV

And, we have the image of the heavenly in the Messiah's resurrected body!

Luke 24:36-43
36 And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
38 And he said unto them,
Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them,
Have ye here any meat?
42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
43 And he took it, and did eat before them.
KJV

We are NEVER instructed to anticipate "going to heaven when we die!" We are told to anticipate the RESURRECTION of our bodies unto ETERNAL LIFE!

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Wormwood .... best wishes ... it has been several years since I looked closely at Amillenialism , and quite frankly It tires me out to debate so i only ask one question of Amillenialists as follows ....

... doesn't it mess with your head when you have to ignore stuff in the bible that does not reconcile with Amillenialism ?

Thank you

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
Hello Retrobyter:

Thanks for your clear comments above.

As a Messianic Jew; you are probably aware of Dr.David Ginsburg, he was an Orthodox Jew, born in Warsaw; trained as a Rabbi; and in good standing with the Jewish community until he converted to Christ Jesus Messiah. This after his findings in the documentations (manuscripts), he had collected and studied for his work on Massorah; that the Christology had been removed over centuries of alterations of the manuscripts, by Jewish sages. See: Dr. David Ginsburg: (Hebrew scholar, Jewish academic, Jewish language scholar for the British Library, and Museum.)

Also; he worked, and co-operated with Dr. E.W. Bullinger during his time in England; Dr. E. W. Bullinger (Hebrew and Greek scholar, author Companion Bible)

Dr. Ginsburg's OT work and notes were used by Bullinger in his very analytical work on the KJV (AV); which gives an unusually rich OT accuracy to so many textual and translational problems, which most people cannot fathom without such a valuable resource; especially as both had Greek and Hebrew; and Ginsburg was considered one of the world's foremost Hebrew scholars at that time.

Dr. Bullinger examined many translations as his work progressed, including Jerome's Vulgate, making pertinent notes in large margin, but leaving the 1611 AV untouched.

Dr. Ginsburg is in the following listing of famous and learned Jews who found Christ Jesus Messiah; but you probably already know that!

Jewish Believers; (Messianic Association)

Regards.
Floyd.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regarding the "seven eyes," the thing you're not understanding is that Revelation, like all the other books of the New Testament (and the whole Bible) were originally written in Hebrew (or its cousin, Aramaic, the Syrian version of the same language). These languages were translated into the Koine Greek that we have mere copies of today. In Hebrew, the word for "eye" is "`ayin," which also happens to be the name of the 16th letter of the Hebrew alef-bet (alphabet). Thus, like Zechariah 3:9, they are not "eyes" with which to see but are seven LETTERS! They are seven LINES or STATEMENTS that all begin with the letter "`ayin!"
Um, no. The books of the NT were not written in Hebrew. This is completely and totally false. You are basing your views on a faulty premise.

Regarding the "immanent return of Christ," that's the WRONG WORD! It's the "IMMINENT" return of the Messiah! "Immanent" means "inherent"; "imminent" means "impending." The problem you have (as I see it) is that you still don't understand what "Christ" means!
Really? You are going to base your argument against me around a type-o?

Wormwood .... best wishes ... it has been several years since I looked closely at Amillenialism , and quite frankly It tires me out to debate so i only ask one question of Amillenialists as follows ....

... doesn't it mess with your head when you have to ignore stuff in the bible that does not reconcile with Amillenialism ?

Thank you
If I felt like I had to "ignore" stuff in the Bible to hold a theological view, I wouldn't hold the theological view. The reason I hold to the view is because I believe it doesn't ignore the clear teachings of the Bible. From my perspective, other views have a tendency to do this...which is what I am trying to communicate in this discussion.

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
Um, no. The books of the NT were not written in Hebrew. This is completely and totally false. You are basing your views on a faulty premise.

Wormwood; he means the "Syriacs", which are Ancient Aramaic; which is a base of Hebrew. See:

Ancient Aramaic Manuscripts, Pshitta O and A:

Floyd.

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
Floyd said:

Wormwood; he means the "Syriacs", which are Ancient Aramaic; which is a base of Hebrew. See:

Ancient Aramaic Manuscripts, Pshitta O and A:

Floyd.
Thank you again for caring!

Looked over <Ancient Aramaic Manuscripts, etc.> and thank you again. It's been decades, however do remember the oldest Syriac version of the N.T. (The Peshito = simplex, sc. versio), dated in the 2nd century or so, contained neither Revelation nor IIPeter, and a few others. My two-bits lower paygrade opinion is the history of the Peshito still needs clearing up where the document in the ancient Greek of Revelation translated into English Bible translations is above 96% accurate only in need of narrowing down the diverse "signified" interpretations (very little literalism in Revelation due to Rev.1:1, "to show....signified" the visions with symbolic numbers), ie, not narrowing down the translated Bible translations nor in need of Textual criticism like other books in the Bible.

Sorry, got a little carried away, ,ie, must be Sunday,

Old Jack

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wormwood said:
Defending a symbolic understanding of the 1,000 years:
Many object to Amillennialism because they claim it rejects a "literal" reading of Revelation 20. However, I find that those who claim to read Revelation "literally" quite simply do not.
There are four methods of interpretation according to the Expositor's Bible Commentary regarding Revelation, literal and symbolic being only two. One other is the idealist, and the fourth eludes my memory right now, it's back at home with my books, notes and resources.

That being said, no one form can say the others are wrong; each is right within its own reasoning. However, while there can be more than one way of looking at something for their meaning, like the seven Churches, no two eschatological systems can both be right. Indeed every one presented in forums like this can be wrong to one degree or another.

The test I apply is if an eschatology can reconcile seemingly contradictory verses, passages, and prophetic "facts" - statements made in the Bible which as our first premise in coming to understand God's Word, we must accept as true.

Now you can take a literal view, as I favor, and reconcile figurative speech found in Revelation. To describe our Lord, who is not a simple man, although He appeared as one, in seemingly contradictory word-pictures, does not mean they are not all valid literal descriptions. Jesus was the Lamb. He was slain. In the multi-faceted realm of Heaven, who are we to say how He must appear?

Likewise, the Son of God has abilities beyond ours. While He taught about the afterlife in Luke 19, when He went to Paradise, as He told the thief on His right they would on the day, He was not restricted to just being there, but as Peter tells us, from what he was taught by our Lord after His Rising when they met, Jesus traveled to the place where demons were imprisoned and made an announcement to them. This might have been the Abyss, which Jesus taught in Luke 19 separated Paradise from Hades.

So, having seven eyes, like with our having two can see three-dimensionally, may be another true aspect to His being which allows Him to see in dimensions past our own. The seven eyes could be a literal statement that Jesus is imbued with spiritual insight hark ending back to Scripture:

In Psa 11:4 and Pro 15:3, God has eyes to see.
In Eze 1:18 and 10:12, God's agents have many eyes.
But most importantly, what John writes points us back to that very important eschatological Minor Prophet: Zechariah.
In Zec 3:9, he describes the capstone as having seven eyes. We can understand that to be Jesus.
In Zec 4:10, again, Jesus has seven eyes.

In Revelation, John reveals the nature of the eyes as spirits which go out into all the earth.

So should one say on a simple reading of Jesus having seven eyes as Jesus being a monster? NO! He has abilities beyond ours, and of His true form we can't even fathom. We just have to accept that He is not the simple depiction we have, very European of us too with our cultural prejudice, that Jesus looks like a hippy Englishman who is kind, open, and inviting. He is also the Lion of Judah and the Commander of God's army. He may not have a literal sword coming out of His Mouth, but His Word can literally cut His enemies down - just as He bowled over 50 or more Roman soldiers on the night they came to arrest Him in Gethesame just by speaking His name: "I am."

Figurative descriptions give us literal attributes. To say a man is a pig, is figurative speech which best describes the literal manner in which he eats.

Likewise, horns are not just the things of the Devil. They are symbols of power and are even adorned on the Altar. (Look it up!). So when Christ has seven horns, He is not to be confused with the dragon of a nation with ten horns which are Kings who come without kingdoms as most think they do, but become Kings when the fourth terrible beast is formed. No, the horns symbolize His power. They are a figurative representation of a literal fact.

So I take some exception to how you have characterized an opposing manner of interpretation. Like I said, each method can be right within its own system.

The real rub is whether or not your view or mine stands the test of Scripture, which I haven't even addressed. I'll leave that for another thread.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll have to agree with Old Jack on the issue of the manuscripts. I have been studying the Scriptures for decades both personally and formally. I have never read or heard of any scholar arguing that John, Paul or Peter originally penned their letters in anything but Koine. I am sure there are early manuscripts in other languages, but I have never heard any scholar argue that these other languages were the original language of the Scriptures. Rather, pretty much all the Hebrews in the time of Jesus worked with Koine. Certainly some spoke other languages as well, but Koine was the common language of the people...and the reason the Septuagint was translated. More Hebrews read Koine than Hebrew.

In any event, I think the entire premise of that argument is based on a very very shakey foundation.

Marcus,

Thanks for your response. You are correct, there are different ways of interpreting Revelation: idealist, historicist, preterist, and futurist. However, all of these views have varying degrees of literal or symbolic interpretation. For instance, I would hold the idealist view. The full preterist would argue that all of Revelation has already been fulfilled since 70AD and that we are already living in the eternal state. The historicist would see all the symbols of Revelation as pointing to various major events throughout history that have, for the most part, already taken place. In any event, I think we are kinda crossing lines here. I don't think what I was proposing is in opposition to these four views. Its just an argument that all the views hold to some degree of allegory when interpreting horns, woman with stars and moon, dragon, etc.

Finally, I think you have misunderstood how I have presented others in their interpretation. I was simply trying to show that we all use some level of symbolism when looking at Revelation. I have not tried to discuss other views in detail other than my debate with Floyd about how Israel is portrayed in Premillennialism...which I feel is not in line with the teaching of the NT in my humble opinion.

THanks again for your post.

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
Wormwood: ref. your comments re. Pshitta and Revelation.; I checked out Vic. Alexanders work on this, and he seems to have done a translation from old Aramaic.
See : http://www.v-a.com/bible/revelation.html

With your background, I would appreciate your opinion as to its veracity.

Thanks;

Floyd.

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
Thank you folks for caring!

I've always appreciated Jesus's syllogistic reasong, ie, from the general to the specific, ie, for example we can quickly purge out any 'literal' view of Revelation due to Rev.1:1, "to show...he signified." Jesus "signified" it's meaning,ie, not 'literal,' however 'symbolic.'

As far as the Revelation's Greek Text and translated Bibles, ie, more than accurate enough for the Holy Spirit to interpret wouldn't you agree Wormwood? Ending in which 'group' interprets Revelation correctly? I favor the "Syncronous Amillennial view" ("Historical camp") of course for grammatical, contetual and aspectual reasons. I discounted Mr. Ribera's and Mr. Alcazar's views of Revelation long long ago.

Old Jack's view

Floyd said:
Wormwood: ref. your comments re. Pshitta and Revelation.; I checked out Vic. Alexanders work on this, and he seems to have done a translation from old Aramaic.
See : http://www.v-a.com/bible/revelation.html

With your background, I would appreciate your opinion as to its veracity.

Thanks;

Floyd.
Thank you for really caring!

I was curious and did a lower paygrade check on the former work, and resulted in a 3 to 4 where 10 is accurate, ie, little below a good Text, Came out better than I thought it would. Curious what Wormwood came up with?

Thank you again,

Old Jack's opinion

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
shturt678 said:
Thank you folks for caring!

I've always appreciated Jesus's syllogistic reasong, ie, from the general to the specific, ie, for example we can quickly purge out any 'literal' view of Revelation due to Rev.1:1, "to show...he signified." Jesus "signified" it's meaning,ie, not 'literal,' however 'symbolic.'

As far as the Revelation's Greek Text and translated Bibles, ie, more than accurate enough for the Holy Spirit to interpret wouldn't you agree Wormwood? Ending in which 'group' interprets Revelation correctly? I favor the "Syncronous Amillennial view" ("Historical camp") of course for grammatical, contetual and aspectual reasons. I discounted Mr. Ribera's and Mr. Alcazar's views of Revelation long long ago.

Old Jack's view

Thank you for really caring!

I was curious and did a lower paygrade check on the former work, and resulted in a 3 to 4 where 10 is accurate, ie, little below a good Text, Came out better than I thought it would. Curious what Wormwood came up with?

Thank you again,

Old Jack's opinion
Yes Jack; now I know Wormwood has background in Pshitta study; his opinion will be worth attention.
Floyd.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting direction this conversation is going....
In any event, I think most agree that the Syriac version of the scriptures were translated from Koine Greek. Thus, the original was Koine. Wikipedia states,

The general, but not universal, consensus is that the Old Testament of the Peshitta was translated into Syriac from the Hebrew, probably in the 2nd century AD, and that the New Testament of the Peshitta was translated from the Greek.[1] This New Testament, originally excluding certain disputed books (2 Peter, 2 John, 3 John, Jude, Revelation), had become a standard by the early 5th century.

emphasis mine

It seems to me that most agree that while Syriac versions of the Bible were some of the earliest translations of the NT books, they were translations from the Koine Greek. Also, the Syriac version of Revelation and other disputed books are dated at the early 5th century. There are much earlier versions of Revelation in the Greek language. I cannot really speak to the translation the online site provides of Revelation according to the Syriac version. I don't know Aramaic (I never said I was trained in it. I hope I had not implied otherwise Floyd).

In any event, my position would be that since Syriac would not be the original language, I don't think there are secret acrostics or that "horns" is better understood as "mountain peaks" because of how it would have been understood in Aramaic. The original writing was in Greek, so whatever apparent deeper meanings that appear to be attainable through Syriac would not have been in the mind of the writers who wrote in Greek.

I agree with Jack. I think the translations we have in English from the Greek language are more than sufficient to communicate the intended meaning of the author as well as the Holy Spirit. There is no shortage of views out there that claim there is a hidden meaning if you simply know the tricks. I don't think that is how God operates with his Word.

Id be happy to discuss more in detail my particular views on Amillennialism with you Jack. I really appreciate GK Beale's commentary. I would heartily agree with most of his propositions in that book.