Defending Amillennialism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wormwood said:
I think you have misunderstood how I have presented others in their interpretation. I was simply trying to show that we all use some level of symbolism when looking at Revelation. I have not tried to discuss other views in detail other than my debate with Floyd about how Israel is portrayed in Premillennialism...which I feel is not in line with the teaching of the NT in my humble opinion.

THanks again for your post.
Well I thought you were denouncing the literal interpretation method because it wasn't consistent in taking literally figurative word-picture depictions of various people and entities presented in Revelation.

That would be ultra-literal and I would refute any straitjacket criticism that I have to find a woman actually clothed in the sun when I can understand the symbology of figurative speech in a literal manner: the woman of Revelation chapter 12 depicts the overall nation of Israel as espoused by the man Israel himself in Genesis 37:9-10 in response to Joseph's God-given dream.

Likewise, I take a literal view of the listed events, some of them specific and unique, given within the various parallel accounts within the book of Revelation, as with the Seal/Scroll Chronology of chapters 4-11 (exclusive of the sidebar account of the Temple and the Two Witnesses in 11:1-13).

So when the sky scrolls back, could very well be the best description of the view an earthbound observer would have of a dimensional rift opening up to reveal the Son of Man coming on the clouds.

Likewise, when stars fall to the earth can also be a literal meteor shower, and not the earth being bombarded, nay, swallowed up by impacting solar furnaces.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marcus,

I understand that and appreciate that approach. My comments were more directed at those who often charge Amillenialists as not taking the book "literally." I agree that John really saw what he saw and he was describing those things as they "appeared." My point was that pretty much everyone sees some level of symbolism in Revelation. So the question in my mind is not, "who reads Revelation literally?" But rather, "how do we determine what is symbolic and what is literal?" The effort to quickly dismiss Amillennialists by many Premilennialists as simply refusing to accept the Word as it is written does not hold water in my estimation. The issue is far more complex than a literal vs. symbolic reading. That's what I was trying to say.

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can take the Millennium as a literal period of time in accordance with Hosea 6:2 and 2Pe 3:8. While most of the usages of numbers are figurative to represent a great number, that also occurs within their culture, which is quite different than the literal one we live in, post-Renaissance, scientific, and technical... Even technically correct right down to our word definitions. The symbology of other numbers are also known, but that does not prevent the holiness of 12 from not numbering the thousands that make the 144,000. As a number, it can be literal and yet symbolic in its completeness for that host.

But as Revelation first and utmost reveals, when we can find a literal interpretation, we ought to examine it within that light. As Freud once said, 'Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.'

I will debate aspects of your eschatology though. I know I may sound like I'm nitpicking, but I have found the literal view within my own sequence of events Pre-Wrath analysis to be better than having to take an idealist approach. I would find fault with your statement that at one time entire nations were deceived and enslaved. I am not finding fault with you personally. However I think whole nations are enslaved right now to Islam. Furthermore, Europe, the cradle of Christianity, is hardly Christian anymore. I do not think Satan is bound now. I think he's been very active in the world since being cast out of Heaven, just two days ago by immortal standards, and he's been chasing the woman Israel ever since and killing her off many times over, so he thought.

Another point I'd like to address is this:

Wormwood said:
There is no place else in the NT that speaks of two resurrections of the righteous, except when referring to the "first resurrection" as being "raised with Christ" through faith in him.
There are five times in the Bible where there are two resurrections from the grave to Heaven. The first is only for the righteous and the second includes both righteous and wicked. Four of them are in the New Testament. You mentioned the one in Revelation, to which I'd add Rev 7:9-17 as the start of the first resurrection.

The parables of the wheat versus the fish in Matthew 13.
The gathering of the Elect in Mt 24:31 versus the assemblage of good and evil souls in Mt 25:31-45.
John 5:24-25 versus John 5:28-29.

The Old Testament reference is Daniel 12:1 versus Daniel 12:2.

Where do the second group of righteous souls come from if all the righteous souls were raised with the first? The second set lived after the first resurrection during the Millennium. So the Sheep join the Elect... And also, while "we" Christians, and I'll include the Apostles in this, must account for our lives, they, those special 12, will judge the twelve tribes of the nation of Israel. Only after we have been made immortal and imperishable, will we have the right to judge, rule, and even sit on the Throne in Jesus' stead, just as He has been given that right by the Father. At the first we are evaluated. Only when we have been given our crowns will we be able to evaluate another. So the Apostles will judge their kinsman at the second resurrection.

There is also a resurrection from the grave to the earth mentioned in Ezekiel. This I think is part of the Millennium, but I doubt you'd agree with your eschatological viewpoint. That's alright, I still think it is part of God's Plan; it's certainly part of prophecy and so I know it will come to pass, and it is not beyond God's Power or Love for it not to be fulfilled literally as well, as implausible as it might seem for us with our "Church" framework all around us... But then again, I don't think the Millennium is for us at all. We will be Priests in Heaven, yet will rule the earth. Seemingly contradictory isn't it? Not at all actually...

G'nite.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada

Wormwood , I normally dislike using someone elses arguments but in this case a 5 minute video by Chuck Missler pretty well sums up my thinking on amillennialism

About 11 years ago I began looking at all the future prophecy remaining for Israel , there is lots of it , and much of it can only fit within a literal reign of a Messiah here on earth.

My thoughts anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L97DyMou3UY

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
The general, but not universal, consensus is that the Old Testament of the Peshitta was translated into Syriac from the Hebrew, probably in the 2nd century AD, and that the New Testament of the Peshitta was translated from the Greek.[1] This New Testament, originally excluding certain disputed books (2 Peter, 2 John, 3 John, Jude, Revelation), had become a standard by the early 5th century

Wormwood:
I am checking this with the translator I mentioned.
Floyd.

Wormwood:
The following Title is by a friend of mine; who is a retired Mathematics' Major in a British University.
Mike Penny, writes,lectures and broadcasts all over the world on the subjects we have been discussing , as well as being a local activist and leader for "churches together" in the Reading area, just west of London.
As well as a distinguished background in his chosen Profession, he is an acknowledged authority on the Bible, particularly Eschatology, and is well known for dealing with so-called "difficult passages" from Scripture.
He has a list of Publications, which can be seen and obtained on www.obt.org.uk
I do not always agree with his work; but in the main it is more agreeable than most, with my own study over a long period.

The book he has recommended, based on what we have been discussing, is "Approaching the Bible" ; because on page 198 are listed 52 author's for further reading.
Page 213 is another list, focused on Dispensationalists of the Acts 28 persuasion.
Pages 187-197, deal with pre-20th Century dispensationalists.
Floyd.

PS: may I ask why you use the name "Wormwood", as in scripture it is linked to bitterness and poison?

Arnie Manitoba said:

Wormwood , I normally dislike using someone elses arguments but in this case a 5 minute video by Chuck Missler pretty well sums up my thinking on amillennialism

About 11 years ago I began looking at all the future prophecy remaining for Israel , there is lots of it , and much of it can only fit within a literal reign of a Messiah here on earth.

My thoughts anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L97DyMou3UY

Thanks Arnie; we enjoyed that.
Floyd.

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
South Point, Hawaii (Big Island)
Wormwood said:
Interesting direction this conversation is going....
In any event, I think most agree that the Syriac version of the scriptures were translated from Koine Greek. Thus, the original was Koine. Wikipedia states,

It seems to me that most agree that while Syriac versions of the Bible were some of the earliest translations of the NT books, they were translations from the Koine Greek. Also, the Syriac version of Revelation and other disputed books are dated at the early 5th century. There are much earlier versions of Revelation in the Greek language. I cannot really speak to the translation the online site provides of Revelation according to the Syriac version. I don't know Aramaic (I never said I was trained in it. I hope I had not implied otherwise Floyd).

In any event, my position would be that since Syriac would not be the original language, I don't think there are secret acrostics or that "horns" is better understood as "mountain peaks" because of how it would have been understood in Aramaic. The original writing was in Greek, so whatever apparent deeper meanings that appear to be attainable through Syriac would not have been in the mind of the writers who wrote in Greek.

I agree with Jack. I think the translations we have in English from the Greek language are more than sufficient to communicate the intended meaning of the author as well as the Holy Spirit. There is no shortage of views out there that claim there is a hidden meaning if you simply know the tricks. I don't think that is how God operates with his Word.

Id be happy to discuss more in detail my particular views on Amillennialism with you Jack. I really appreciate GK Beale's commentary. I would heartily agree with most of his propositions in that book.

Thank you folks for your responses and caring!

I use the Reformed camp (Mr. Beale's, Mr. Hendricksen's and Mr. Kistemaker's Commentaries) along with my 1560 to about 1918 or so) non-modern Lutheran Commentaries (Mr. Kretzjmann, Mr. Delitzsch, and etc.) and older Sermons which I'm more favorable to, to draw my conclusions.

Old Jack
Arnie Manitoba said:

My thoughts anyway

<snip> only for clarity
Thank you for the video and caring!

Only a head's up, ie, all views of Amillennial after about 1560 did not and do not allegorize their interpretations, ie, not even implying those prior did allegorize, however a few may have as been a long time since I've been in this area.

Old, 'apokalyptic type parabolic language' in Revelation, Jack

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, lots to respond to. Thanks for all the responses. I'll try to address all the points the best I can. Just ask again if I miss something.

I can take the Millennium as a literal period of time in accordance with Hosea 6:2 and 2Pe 3:8.
Yes, I am not discounting the fact that it is a possibility to take the millennium literally (if I did, I'd fall into the camp of historic premillinnialists as I have major issues with the entire framework of dispensationalism). However, I think we need to consider the genre of Revelation. It is apocalyptic. It is a very different genre than Hosea or 2 Peter (and I don't even know if that phrase by Peter is to be taken literally). I liken that phrase in 2 Peter to be like the Psalmist who says, "The Lord owns the cattle on a thousand hills" (Ps. 50:10). So the 1001 hill doesn't belong to God? Of course not. Its a figure of speech and I think that is what Peter is saying. Hes not trying to give an exact number... 1 day is exactly 1,000 years for God. God is timeless. The point is that our sense of time really means nothing to God. Christians should not easily be discouraged by the seeming delay of Christ's return. That is the point. Getting caught up in whether or not the 1,000 years Peter is referring to is literal only confuses the meaning of the passage.

There are five times in the Bible where there are two resurrections from the grave to Heaven. The first is only for the righteous and the second includes both righteous and wicked. Four of them are in the New Testament. You mentioned the one in Revelation, to which I'd add Rev 7:9-17 as the start of the first resurrection.

The parables of the wheat versus the fish in Matthew 13.
The gathering of the Elect in Mt 24:31 versus the assemblage of good and evil souls in Mt 25:31-45.
John 5:24-25 versus John 5:28-29.
I think you misread me. I am not saying there are not two resurrections. I am saying there are not two resurrections of the "righteous." Revelation 20 indicates that the righteous who are raised prior to the 1,000 years (those beheaded for Jesus (so only the beheaded? what about the burned?)) and then another resurrection (the rest of the dead) for apparently both the good and evil who die during the millennium. This is foreign to anything taught in the NT about the resurrection. 1 Thessalonians 4-5 (as well as the passages you reference) make it clear to me that the resurrection of the righteous and unrighteous will occur back to back....on the same "day" (1 Thess 5:2). No where does anyone indicate two separate resurrections for the righteous that have a 1,000 year gap between them. So yes, I would disagree if you see this as Ezekiel's resurrection from the grave as a separate event.

I think the NT makes it clear that the enemy is bound.

“The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.” (1 John 3:8b, ESV)
The word "destroy" here (lyo) is too strong. A better translation would be "render powerless" or "break."

Jesus also said the gates of hell would not prevail against his church. John says that any who believe have the right to be called children of God. Jesus said his mission was to come "set captives free" and give sight to the blind, etc. The NT is full of texts that reveal that those who were slaves to sin and captives to the enemy are set free, made righteous, and are no longer slaves to what once bound them.

“We know that everyone who has been born of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him.” (1 John 5:18, ESV)
Yes, there are countries who are largely non-Christian and false religions dominate the worldview. However, this does not mean that the devil is not bound by the preaching of the Gospel. In fact, Revelation 20 says nothing about peace, people living hundreds of years, Jerusalem exalted, all evil being quenched, etc that many people want to impose upon the "millennium" and this "binding" of Satan in Rev. 20. does not teach this either. It only says the Devil is "bound" so that he cannot deceive the nations. People are still self-deceived, but demons were cast out, the Gospel of life goes forth and all who are willing can take of the free gift of life. Satan is powerless to stop it. Even those who are murdered in Christ are raised to reign with him in this period. This is a message to the church today...not a message to the church some day in the unforeseen future.

Im out of time for now. I'll try to respond to the rest of you later today. THanks again for your input and views. I appreciate the discussion.

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wormwood said:
I am not discounting the fact that it is a possibility to take the millennium literally (if I did, I'd fall into the camp of historic premillinnialists as I have major issues with the entire framework of dispensationalism). However, I think we need to consider the genre of Revelation. It is apocalyptic. It is a very different genre than Hosea or 2 Peter (and I don't even know if that phrase by Peter is to be taken literally).
I am not an adherent of Dispensationalism. I do see how Dispensationalism came to be a school of study because of the layering of God's Plan. Job and Enoch lived before the Law was given and knew God. Then God gives Moses the Law, and then come the Prophets and a whole host of rules come into being. Still, Jesus remains as a fact not yet realized. With His first Advent, we enter into the Church Age and the rules change yet again, and I doubt any Christian here adheres to the Ritual Laws of sacrifice... What happens when Jesus is a fact of life, physically present at times, and easily proved when the people adhere to a new set of rules during the Millennium as specified in Ezekiel? Well, it's yet a new paradigm. That changing scenario reflects different "dispensations" in the world's timeline for man, yet the standard remains unchanged.

I do not make the break between Gentile and Jew that Dispensationalists do. That relationship is not so simple.

But as far as apocalyptic, a lot of meaning has been imbued into its connotation which is not in its definition. Simply put, it means to uncover or disclose. Too often it just means catastrophe, war, and the end of the world. Now there were a whole genre of such writing in the centuries surrounding Christ's first Advent. I do not discount a spirit which stirs in the hearts and minds an imminent sense of an impending event of supreme importance. People were on fire for the Messiah when Jesus walked the earth. Why? Did some pay attention to the Prophet the Sanhedrin discounted to poetry? Or was the Holy Spirit, or some other spirit from God at work preparing the way?

I also note a similar circumstance with the era I think is around when the first Seal is broken. As things began to change in the 19th century with the Industrial Revolution and the rise of nation-states, we also see a resurgence of evangelism - to a time when others and I would point to as the time of the Philadelphian Church. I also note that that time also coincidently sees a new chapter in eschatologies, with whole new schools emerging from the statist Amillennium school - and even whole new denominations and even cults springing up (Seventh Day Adventists and Mormons come to mind).

But Revelation is an inspired book.

That books' Greek was so bad, contemporary Church leaders scoffed at its authenticity. However, if we look at John, writing in his own hand, without a scribe to polish his Greek, which is not his native language, but one that he would have used in that time and era, from a diminished status in exile - then the poor Greek is not unlike Paul's example when he writes in his own hand and is not as polished or "proper."

God the Father empowers Jesus to reveal to John what will soon (rapidly) take place (Rev 1:1).

We Western people want the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. We think omitting a fact is the commission of a lie. This is our cultural more. This fact of our being is not shared by a culture two millennia past, from an agricultural background, which knows nothing of our scientific method, has no regard for the importance we place on dates, nor do they deal in the legalistic wrangling we torture testimony. They do not deal with precise definitions as much as they draw word-pictures. Hebrew is a great story-telling language, but it is hardly capable of writing a technical manual for complicated electronic devices.

I think John held unique information for a long time. I note that the Apostles wondered why John was following them in John 21:20 and Jesus said something cryptic which made the Apostles think he'd never die (but which in fact, points to a special relationship John would have just to be taken up to Heaven) and Paul writes, without naming John, that a man he knew had seen wonderful things but could not (then) write of them (and I think Paul and John surely met, and that Paul got his education on eschatology from John) and John only wrote it at the end of his life when God enabled him to do so.

The first vision he writes establishes the place, and hence the time he received the vision of the Churches.

In the various parallel and overlapping time wise accounts which transpire after he is taken up, at no time does John write everything. There are always gaps. It is an indictment upon us to say as you do, 'well, he doesn't actually say vast portions of Isaiah, Ezekiel and Zechariah happen during this "millennial."' Gaps in prophecy happen all the time. There is a gap of two thousand years in one verse, indeed, within one sentence in Isaiah 61:2. Gaps happen often when God links two like events together, like Christ's Advents, or the resurrection of people from the grave to Heaven. The important "fact" is that the truth remains consistent: they are always given in the order in which they will occur.

Another aspect of Revelation is that not only does John use prophetic Old Testament imagery, but more importantly, he puts it into a linear narrative giving various sequences of events - and reveals figurative meaning to us!

The book of Revelation has to be understood with Scripture because he draws on it and it is an inspired book - completely separate from other typical writing of the time.

Thus, Hosea 6:2 and 2Pe 3:8 are tied to the Millennium.

God through Jesus to John reveals that a day of Hosea 6:2 is a thousand years, and in this case, using 2Pe 3:8 as a template for the equation, a literal one. Does it have to be exactly one thousand years to the day and minute though? No. That would be our standard we would try to impose upon God, and I think that would be a terrible mistake on our part to use as a test for validity from our cultural viewpoint.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Arnie,

Thanks for the video. As you can imagine, I'm not a big fan of Chuck :). Let me respond to some of his points.

1) I agree that Jesus will rule on earth. I think that is what Revelation teaches that the New Jerusalem will come down from heaven onto the earth and there we will live with him forever and ever. Yes, Jesus is reigning now at the right hand of God. He will also reign on earth "forever." I noticed Chuck didn't go into how he reconciles Christ's rule "forever" with the fact that he is arguing for a 1,000 year reign. I think he is misrepresenting Amillennialists a bit in this regard to make his point.

2) Maybe "most" Christians are Amillennial, but most evangelicals are not. So I'm not sure about people being oblivious to the teachings of Dispensationalism. In fact, I think if you ask the average person about the end times, they will speak of the "rapture," the Antichrist and the Great Tribulation. Most seem more imbedded with Tim LaHaye's view of eschatology than what the Church has traditionally taught.

3) I don't think the Reformers failed to examine eschatology in their efforts to reform the Church. Rather, they examined Amillennialism and embraced it. Chuck makes it sound like they just overlooked this area of doctrine. Anyone who reads the Reformers will know that they left no stone unturned in their quest to uphold the teachings of the NT.

Finally, let me conclude with my own resource that I think underscores my concern about dispensationalism and the serious problems it causes as we think of God's character and his work in Christ.

It obscures the true preparatory role of Israel in relation to the church, and it demotes the church from its climactic role in God’s plan to that of a temporary stopgap. It pictures Christ as failing to accomplish the purpose for which he allegedly came the first time, i.e., to set up an earthly Jewish kingdom; this means that the whole rationale for the millennium is to give Jesus a second chance to get this done.

In my judgment dispensational premillennialism is not just false doctrine; it is seriously false and dangerous doctrine (something I do not say about the two previous views). This is a dangerously false view because it is diversionary: the obsession to constantly restructure prophetic application to keep pace with ongoing world events absorbs the attention of many and keeps them from attending to more important spiritual matters. It is dangerously false because it detracts from the glory of Christ’s blood-created New Covenant (Luke 22:20) and his blood-bought new people, the church (Acts 20:28). Those who insist on continuing to exalt physical Israel in God’s plan are the new Judaizers and are violating every warning of Paul in Phil 3:2–3. A final reason this is a dangerously false view is that it creates a spurious and precarious basis for belief in Christ and his Word. By presuming to declare that contemporary events, especially about Israel, are the fulfillment of myriads of Bible prophecies, dispensationalists are thus tying the accuracy and trustworthiness of God’s Word to the fate of modern Israel. Thus it is no wonder that some weaker brethren might be led to say (as I once heard one affirm), "If the nation of Israel is ever defeated or destroyed, I will give up my faith."
-Jack Cottrell, PhD.
Hey Marcus,

I think in many important ways, we are in agreement. I would see Revelation as more circular than linear. As in Daniel's visions, I think the different visions all pertain to the same major events with differing emphases. I agree that prophesies have gaps (although I would not assign a 2,000+ year gap to Daniel's 70 weeks as dispensationalists are prone to do). We will likely just have to agree to disagree on the literal nature of the 1,000 years. I think this is pretty small potatoes though compared to the overarching differences in views I see in some eschatologies that impact how everything written in the Bible is understood.

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wormwood,

We have a fundamental difference in viewpoint. I am surprised at your view of John's narrative as "circular," that's the first I've ever heard the book of Revelation termed as such.

As far as gaps, you don't have to be a Dispensationalist to see one in the seventy 'sevens.' Gabriel inserts the necessary three conditions in Daniel 9:26, the last being war will continue until the end, which coincides with the end of the one 'seven' which happens with the battle at Armageddon as is revealed in two accounts in the book of Revelation.

Eschatology can affect a person's actions though, and some of those could have eternal repercussions; I'll agree with you there, but I think we'd disagree on how that could come about based on what you've told me of your eschatology.

Nice talking with you. I've got to get ready to go to work and fly home through the weather.

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
Thank you folks for caring!

Only making sure we know exactly where we agree to disagree, ie, the symbolic visions in Revelation are laid down in sync. with "7" distinct endings of the world, eg, Rev.6:12-17; 7:9-17; 11:14-19; 14:14-20; 16:17-21; 19:11-21; and 20:7-15.

btw the "millennial" began at the Cross and ends soon at Rev.20:7 where all those that have passed awoke in heaven or hell until the future "1" resurrection at the "1" future Parousia where allllll in the graves will raise with their new bodies.

Old non-Reformed camp Jack

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I would agree with Jack on this one Marcus. If Revelation is not circular, how is it that we can have Jesus being given eternal reign over the world in Revelation 11:15 and then Jesus being born in Revelation 12:5? How is it that God is wiping away the tears from the eyes of the multitude no one can count in Revelation 7:17 and then again in Revelation 21:4? How is it we see the wicked tormented forever in Revelation 14:11 and then again in Revelation 20:14? In my opinion, the seven seals, seven trumpets, beast with seven heads, seven plagues, etc. are all different pictures of the same thing: God's salvation for the faithful in Christ in the midst of a wicked and oppressive world.

Each of these visions display the deliverance of God's people in a way that is seen as the final culmination of how God has delievered his people in the past. For instance...

Jesus as King who is "seated on the throne" opening seals as judgments against his enemies who have oppressed his people.
Angels delivering plagues against the people so that they might repent and the witnesses as prophets who prophesy in the midst of a world that torments and persecutes them.
The beasts that represent the ruling powers of this world that persecute the people of God.
The plagues similar to those sent to free God's people from the grip of Egypt. God's people sing the "song of Moses and the song of the Lamb" (Rev. 15:3).
The city of Babylon that holds God's people captive and God delivers them by overthrowing Babylon in one day.

All of these things are images of how God is delivering the people of God. They are symbolic of the current evil world we live in and how it is under the control of the evil one. In the midst of the apparent powers of the nations, the killing of the saints, the luxury of the wicked and so forth...God's people are to remain faithful. For just as God delivered his people from the oppression of Pharaoh, Babylon, the false gods of the nations, and the plagues of the OT proclaimed by the prophets, so God will bring about his deliverance for those who hold firm to the testimony of Jesus. God is showing us through these visions that we are going through a similar situation as the Israelites in Egypt, the Israelites in Babylon, the faithful prophets, etc. We are to remain faithful in the midst of it because Christ is on the throne and the judgments of God will rain down on those who mistreat his people. Does this make sense?

So, this book is not so much about trying to predict the future and a timeline. It is a repetitive reminder of God's faithfulness for those who trust him...even to death. He will deliver his people and judge the wicked. As he judged Egypt with plagues, the armies of the false gods with hail and fire, Babylon the great being overthrown in one day, so all these things are but hints of God's final deliverance for his people on the day of Christ. Thus we should not compromise to the world, but remain faithful to him. It is a powerful message for all Christians at all times. Not a fortune-telling book that only really applies to a group of people off in the unknown future.

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wormwood said:
If Revelation is not circular, how is it that we can have Jesus being given eternal reign over the world in Revelation 11:15 and then Jesus being born in Revelation 12:5?
One thing at a time; I am not prepared to get into your symbolic fulfillment interpretation just yet. When you say 'circular,' to me, that means more than what you brought up. It implies a cycle. Most pagan religions run on cycles, like the "circle of life" the new-agers taught children in "The Lion King." The Bible is unique in that it has a beginning and an end. From your examples, I don't deduce "circular." I see repeated or overlapping.

The reason Jesus is born after He is given reign is that you are taking from two parallel accounts and mixing the ending with the beginning. Reading the book of Revelation as a novel will induce this type of confusion. Especially troubling is when events are repeated; it tends to confuse the reader who is unwary of this ancient method of storytelling.

Parallel accounts are used to describe complex actions. Typically in the Bible, I find they run in pairs. The first is a broad overview, and the second goes into some detail which God wants to draw out for our edification. The first three chapters of Genesis work in this manner. What some scholars call the two creation accounts ("E" and "J" for the two names of God used) can be seen as giving us everything up to the creation of man in Genesis 2:3, and then we have the detailed account which explains how our relationship to God came about. It also explains a few other things, but I'll leave that lesson for another forum.

Parallel accounts in the book of Revelation are needed to describe the complex action from different perspectives so that everything that needs to be revealed can be revealed.

We have no problem with epic movies when the plot splits to multiple locations and actors, and goes back and forth, but with the written word, when it's not announced, we're not used to it in our culture. We want to read books like novels - straight through. In the movies, there is a distinct break of scene and focus. I use the same test for Revelation. I am not the only one to split it into parallel accounts, but rather than do so to suit my eschatology, I had to find a rule that worked and that one I just highlighted works well.

I spoke earlier of the Seal/Scroll Chronology of Revelation chapters 4-11 (exclusive of the sidebar account of the Temple and the Two Witnesses in Rev 11:1-13). This makes up the broad overview for the end-times.

Chapter 12 has two foci: the woman Israel, and then the dragon - Satan. Both end with a repeated event - one half of the one 'seven.' (It happens to be the second half of the one 'seven,' but that goes deeper beyond the apparent text as far as what I'm ready to explain now.) These twin accounts, which I think run roughly the same length, now nearly some 2000 years, cover another facet of the end-times for us to learn: they reveal things God wants us to know and understand!

When you see a specific and unique event repeated, like the four ends of the one 'seven' or the five times one-half of the one 'seven' is mentioned; look for a break of both scene and focus somewhere in the text between the two.

• The Seal/Scroll Chronology goes from the end of the one 'seven' with the earth-changing earthquake focusing on God's Wrath, to the time of Jesus' birth and it focuses on the woman Israel.
  • The first twin parallel account of the woman Israel ends in the future, and then focuses on the dragon back at the time that Satan is thrown out of Heaven. Both parallel accounts end in the future half of the one 'seven.'

So rather than be circular, each account is linear. In the Seal/Scroll Chronology, it orders the end. In the twin parallel accounts of Revelation chapter 12, each portion goes from its inception (with Jesus' birth, or from John 20:17 and the aftermath of His Trial as per Zechariah 3 where Satan is rebuked twice) - to the second half of the one 'seven' in the future.

Revelation is not a fortune-telling book - and it doesn't apply only to a group of people tomorrow. The book of Revelation lets us know that God will set things right, and the evil and injustice we face will be dealt with - on God's timetable. We can look forward to being part of the Great Multitude, or suffer death under persecution to win the Martyr's Crown and the blessings it has when our number is complete (with the addition of the Two Witnesses). It is a book which demonstrates God's Power and that He has not forgotten us or forsaken us. It is a powerful message for all Christians at all times. (Yes, I know you wrote that too.)

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
Wormwood said:
Yes, I would agree with Jack on this one Marcus. If Revelation is not circular, how is it that we can have Jesus being given eternal reign over the world in Revelation 11:15 and then Jesus being born in Revelation 12:5? How is it that God is wiping away the tears from the eyes of the multitude no one can count in Revelation 7:17 and then again in Revelation 21:4? How is it we see the wicked tormented forever in Revelation 14:11 and then again in Revelation 20:14? In my opinion, the seven seals, seven trumpets, beast with seven heads, seven plagues, etc. are all different pictures of the same thing: God's salvation for the faithful in Christ in the midst of a wicked and oppressive world.

Each of these visions display the deliverance of God's people in a way that is seen as the final culmination of how God has delievered his people in the past. For instance...

Jesus as King who is "seated on the throne" opening seals as judgments against his enemies who have oppressed his people.
Angels delivering plagues against the people so that they might repent and the witnesses as prophets who prophesy in the midst of a world that torments and persecutes them.
The beasts that represent the ruling powers of this world that persecute the people of God.
The plagues similar to those sent to free God's people from the grip of Egypt. God's people sing the "song of Moses and the song of the Lamb" (Rev. 15:3).
The city of Babylon that holds God's people captive and God delivers them by overthrowing Babylon in one day.

All of these things are images of how God is delivering the people of God. They are symbolic of the current evil world we live in and how it is under the control of the evil one. In the midst of the apparent powers of the nations, the killing of the saints, the luxury of the wicked and so forth...God's people are to remain faithful. For just as God delivered his people from the oppression of Pharaoh, Babylon, the false gods of the nations, and the plagues of the OT proclaimed by the prophets, so God will bring about his deliverance for those who hold firm to the testimony of Jesus. God is showing us through these visions that we are going through a similar situation as the Israelites in Egypt, the Israelites in Babylon, the faithful prophets, etc. We are to remain faithful in the midst of it because Christ is on the throne and the judgments of God will rain down on those who mistreat his people. Does this make sense?

So, this book is not so much about trying to predict the future and a timeline. It is a repetitive reminder of God's faithfulness for those who trust him...even to death. He will deliver his people and judge the wicked. As he judged Egypt with plagues, the armies of the false gods with hail and fire, Babylon the great being overthrown in one day, so all these things are but hints of God's final deliverance for his people on the day of Christ. Thus we should not compromise to the world, but remain faithful to him. It is a powerful message for all Christians at all times. Not a fortune-telling book that only really applies to a group of people off in the unknown future.
Wormwood; what is the point of debate here, as you have shown that your Amill. stance is unmoveable!
As a Board leader, one has the feeling that all of us opposing your view are a bit like the Christians entering Romes' Arena's; I.E. cannot win, or even make a dent in your defences.
My position is close to Marcus and Arnie; and true, I also am unmoveable!
I sent you a link to good authors on this subject; did you see it?
One very good writer Dr.E.W. Bullinger, and the Companion Bible (AV). He made the same points as Marcus, etc. re. the linear nature, but overlap and repeat of Revelation.
These will be necessary for you, as you don't read Links; which could save you much time!
If however you refuse to read the excellent work of especially Bullinger; your education will not be rounded.
Floyd.

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
Marcus O'Reillius said:
One thing at a time; I am not prepared to get into your symbolic fulfillment interpretation just yet. When you say 'circular,' to me, that means more than what you brought up. It implies a cycle. Most pagan religions run on cycles, like the "circle of life" the new-agers taught children in "The Lion King." The Bible is unique in that it has a beginning and an end. From your examples, I don't deduce "circular." I see repeated or overlapping.

The reason Jesus is born after He is given reign is that you are taking from two parallel accounts and mixing the ending with the beginning. Reading the book of Revelation as a novel will induce this type of confusion. Especially troubling is when events are repeated; it tends to confuse the reader who is unwary of this ancient method of storytelling.

Parallel accounts are used to describe complex actions. Typically in the Bible, I find they run in pairs. The first is a broad overview, and the second goes into some detail which God wants to draw out for our edification. The first three chapters of Genesis work in this manner. What some scholars call the two creation accounts ("E" and "J" for the two names of God used) can be seen as giving us everything up to the creation of man in Genesis 2:3, and then we have the detailed account which explains how our relationship to God came about. It also explains a few other things, but I'll leave that lesson for another forum.

Parallel accounts in the book of Revelation are needed to describe the complex action from different perspectives so that everything that needs to be revealed can be revealed.

We have no problem with epic movies when the plot splits to multiple locations and actors, and goes back and forth, but with the written word, when it's not announced, we're not used to it in our culture. We want to read books like novels - straight through. In the movies, there is a distinct break of scene and focus. I use the same test for Revelation. I am not the only one to split it into parallel accounts, but rather than do so to suit my eschatology, I had to find a rule that worked and that one I just highlighted works well.

I spoke earlier of the Seal/Scroll Chronology of Revelation chapters 4-11 (exclusive of the sidebar account of the Temple and the Two Witnesses in Rev 11:1-13). This makes up the broad overview for the end-times.

Chapter 12 has two foci: the woman Israel, and then the dragon - Satan. Both end with a repeated event - one half of the one 'seven.' (It happens to be the second half of the one 'seven,' but that goes deeper beyond the apparent text as far as what I'm ready to explain now.) These twin accounts, which I think run roughly the same length, now nearly some 2000 years, cover another facet of the end-times for us to learn: they reveal things God wants us to know and understand!

When you see a specific and unique event repeated, like the four ends of the one 'seven' or the five times one-half of the one 'seven' is mentioned; look for a break of both scene and focus somewhere in the text between the two.

• The Seal/Scroll Chronology goes from the end of the one 'seven' with the earth-changing earthquake focusing on God's Wrath, to the time of Jesus' birth and it focuses on the woman Israel.
  • The first twin parallel account of the woman Israel ends in the future, and then focuses on the dragon back at the time that Satan is thrown out of Heaven. Both parallel accounts end in the future half of the one 'seven.'

So rather than be circular, each account is linear. In the Seal/Scroll Chronology, it orders the end. In the twin parallel accounts of Revelation chapter 12, each portion goes from its inception (with Jesus' birth, or from John 20:17 and the aftermath of His Trial as per Zechariah 3 where Satan is rebuked twice) - to the second half of the one 'seven' in the future.

Revelation is not a fortune-telling book - and it doesn't apply only to a group of people tomorrow. The book of Revelation lets us know that God will set things right, and the evil and injustice we face will be dealt with - on God's timetable. We can look forward to being part of the Great Multitude, or suffer death under persecution to win the Martyr's Crown and the blessings it has when our number is complete (with the addition of the Two Witnesses). It is a book which demonstrates God's Power and that He has not forgotten us or forsaken us. It is a powerful message for all Christians at all times. (Yes, I know you wrote that too.)
Thank you for caring again!

Hopefully only a helpful head's up. As you already understand ordinary books have block of thought; we see through their structure and note how one block is built upon another. What you may not realize is for example in IJohn we find a totally different structure (the ol' "implicatude" of the writer): a basic fact and then an upward and every-widening spiralling (somewhat "circular") until the end is reached. It's not claimed that Revelation has such a plan, but IJohn teaches us that building with blocks or similar is not the only structural plan found in Scriptures, eg, other examples available even in the O.T.

Due to the distinct "7" one endings of the world in Revelation, one must view the symbolical visions synchonously, cyclic, circular, or? As far as the writer is able to see, the visions, from first to last, presents lines or vistias. These start at various points, but like radii or rays all focus upon the final judgment and the eternal triumph.

Old English chronological Jack, with a little High-German.

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
shturt678 said:
Thank you for caring again!

Hopefully only a helpful head's up. As you already understand ordinary books have block of thought; we see through their structure and note how one block is built upon another. What you may not realize is for example in IJohn we find a totally different structure (the ol' "implicatude" of the writer): a basic fact and then an upward and every-widening spiralling (somewhat "circular") until the end is reached. It's not claimed that Revelation has such a plan, but IJohn teaches us that building with blocks or similar is not the only structural plan found in Scriptures, eg, other examples available even in the O.T.

Due to the distinct "7" one endings of the world in Revelation, one must view the symbolical visions synchonously, cyclic, circular, or? As far as the writer is able to see, the visions, from first to last, presents lines or vistias. These start at various points, but like radii or rays all focus upon the final judgment and the eternal triumph.

Old English chronological Jack, with a little High-German.
Jack; I am never going to agree on your version of Revelation and Prophecy!
This subject is too important for the world to ignore, and to think it started at the Cross.
However Jack, don't give up on direct Scripture study.
Floyd.

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
Floyd said:
Wormwood; what is the point of debate here, as you have shown that your Amill. stance is unmoveable!
As a Board leader, one has the feeling that all of us opposing your view are a bit like the Christians entering Romes' Arena's; I.E. cannot win, or even make a dent in your defences.
My position is close to Marcus and Arnie; and true, I also am unmoveable!
I sent you a link to good authors on this subject; did you see it?
One very good writer Dr.E.W. Bullinger, and the Companion Bible (AV). He made the same points as Marcus, etc. re. the linear nature, but overlap and repeat of Revelation.
These will be necessary for you, as you don't read Links; which could save you much time!
If however you refuse to read the excellent work of especially Bullinger; your education will not be rounded.
Floyd.
Thank you for caring and your reponses!

Wormwood needs no defence, however not one time has Wormwood acted as a moderator posting sir. I'm sure Wormwood as I did not only read over your excellent references, but understood them as well. Your view as well as others are credible views, however I was hoping where your words could be a little more specific,eg, show where Rev.6:12-14 is not the first one of "7" one endings of the world and the universe using Mr. Bullinger's works or yours? I am one of the very few 'refutable' ones on the planet, and at my old age would publically recant in a heart beat.

Always appreciate you and your words,

Old Jack
Floyd said:
Jack; I am never going to agree on your version of Revelation and Prophecy!
This subject is too important for the world to ignore, and to think it started at the Cross.
However Jack, don't give up on direct Scripture study.
Floyd.
Thank you again my brother!

I always knew you had a heart of gold!

Old Jack looking for some silver.

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
shturt678 said:
Thank you for caring and your reponses!

Wormwood needs no defence, however not one time has Wormwood acted as a moderator posting sir. I'm sure Wormwood as I did not only read over your excellent references, but understood them as well. Your view as well as others are credible views, however I was hoping where your words could be a little more specific,eg, show where Rev.6:12-14 is not the first one of "7" one endings of the world and the universe using Mr. Bullinger's works or yours? I am one of the very few 'refutable' ones on the planet, and at my old age would publically recant in a heart beat.

Always appreciate you and your words,

Old Jack

Thank you again my brother!

I always knew you had a heart of gold!

Old Jack looking for some silver.
OK Jack. Take care.
Floyd.

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
shturt678 said:
Thank you folks for caring!

Only making sure we know exactly where we agree to disagree, ie, the symbolic visions in Revelation are laid down in sync. with "7" distinct endings of the world, eg, Rev.6:12-17; 7:9-17; 11:14-19; 14:14-20; 16:17-21; 19:11-21; and 20:7-15.

btw the "millennial" began at the Cross and ends soon at Rev.20:7 where all those that have passed awoke in heaven or hell until the future "1" resurrection at the "1" future Parousia where allllll in the graves will raise with their new bodies.

Old non-Reformed camp Jack
Hi Jack! I'll have to agree to disagree, first with the very premise you bring that the visions are symbolic - period. The Seal events which precede God's Wrath with the Scroll can be taken quite literally, as in fact, we see even today with the rise of animals killing man through disease. Viruses and bacteria are mutating to defeat our best science and AIDS, MRSA, Ebola and over a dozen and a half NEW diseases plague us today. I put it to you: the fourth Seal has already been opened.

I've said in my previous post that there are four endings to the one 'seven' in Revelation. I refer to the "Great Earthquake" which removes mountains. This is a necessary condition in the Millennium because rain patterns today are unequal because of the effect of mechanical lifting over major mountain ranges. In the Millennium, rain will be proportioned around the world equally and only withheld if a nation (and there are more than one) does not obey God's Laws.

As to your "ends:"

Rev 6:12-17 - Ah no, this is part of the sixth Seal and only the wicked proclaim God's Wrath has come. The Scroll has yet to open.
Rev 7:9-17 - No again, this is still part of the sixth Seal which includes the "Day of the Lord." The Great Multitude is the result of the "Harvest."
Rev 11:14-19. Yes. This is one, actually, the second mentioned... you left off the end of the sidebar account in Rev 11:13.
Rev 14:14-20. Ah no again; I know why you say it though, you count the Harvest as happening on the absolute "last" day.
Rev 16:17-21. Yes. This concludes the detailed account of the one 'seven' in Revelation chapters 13-16. Again, we see the Great Earthquake.
Rev 19:11-21. Yes again. The battle at Armageddon concludes war; the Great Earthquake is not germane to the point being revealed and so not mentioned.
Rev 20:7-15. No, this is after the one 'seven' and after the Millennium. It is a different "end" altogether and stands alone.

So, from seeing how you parse Revelation, I take it you are Amillennial in your belief and are a "Last Day" adherent.

I am Pre-Wrath and I do not combine the Rapture with the end of the one 'seven.' I place the Day of the Lord coming at some truncated time after the midpoint abomination as Jesus disclosed to us in the Olivet Discourse. I also conclude God's Plan includes two short time periods after it as foretold in Daniel 12 and then a Millennium peace so all of Israel will be saved.

In 1Th 3:13, the dead, who are resurrected first, don't literally rise from their graves, but are called out from Paradise. They figuratively rise from their graves, but not literally. They are literally made alive though. It is the soul that is resurrected.

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
Jack/Marcus:

Our position is as the details given in all the Chapters in www.revelationsmessage.co.uk

We don't say that this is absolute truth (the disclaimer in the opening page), but as a study aid or encouragement to people.

The general idea and timings are possibly similar; but no body can know that! Floyd.

A taster is :

[SIZE=12pt]CHAPTER 20 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]NOTE: (Jan. 2014)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]The final dealing of God with Satan and his angels and Satan’s earthly servants! The Millennial Reign of Christ/God; after which is the general resurrection and the Great White Throne Judgement; followed by the termination of death and the grave![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]These events are clearly just prior to the Millennial Reign of Christ and God (“His Name One”), from Jerusalem. There is much speculation as to the timing of these events worldwide amongst Christians. No one knows the timing other than the “Father in Heaven” (Matt. 24 etc.); however, we are told to “watch”.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]The fact is that Israel celebrates its 70th anniversary in 2018, of the declaration of the “State of Israel;” of the United nations in 1948! Their Temple and Jerusalem was destroyed 70 years after our Lord’s birth! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]See also the importance of 7 and 10 in App. 10 of the Companion Bible![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt] V.1 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt](a) [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt](b)bottomless pit [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]and a great chain in his hand.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]V.2http://www.revelationsmessage.co.uk/chapter20.html#V.2[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan,[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] and bound him a thousand years.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]V.3 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] (c)set a seal [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]till[/SIZE] [SIZE=14pt]the thousand years should be fulfilled:[/SIZE] [SIZE=14pt] (d)[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]after that he must be loosed a little season.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt](a)[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] Satan is now helpless to fight or resist after his time has expired. This angel is fixed in purpose, the binding of Satan with chains, and locking him away, in the “bottomless pit”![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt](b)[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] This translation in Interlinear as "abyss," i.e. "depths," but with same meaning.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt](c) This banishment/imprisoning of Satan, clearly has profound purpose. The remaining population of the world is about to experience 1000 years of freedom from his constant assault and deceit. Justice, fairness, truth, are all about to be meted out on the world's peoples, from Christ at Jerusalem, and Satan cannot be blamed for any of the misdeeds of the population during this period.[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt] The fallen nature of mankind is still in place during this period, and is clearly being highlighted for a purpose, [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Millennial Purpose[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt] (See also Rev. 9:1,2,3,11, and notes.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt](d)[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] The fact that Satan is released again for a short time, at the end of the 1000 year period, clearly is again for purpose. Heavenly creation especially, as well as human kind, have to be reminded of the utter devastation of Satan's deceit, falsehood and lies, as 1000 years is a long time, and human memory short. (See[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] Chp. 12:12(a) (b) (c.[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt])[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]V.4http://www.revelationsmessage.co.uk/chapter20.html#V.4[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]And I saw [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]thrones,[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] and[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] (a)[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]they sat on them, and [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]judgement[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] was given to them; and the[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] (b)souls [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]of them that were [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]beheaded for[/SIZE] [SIZE=14pt]the witness of Jesus[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] and for the Word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark on[/SIZE] [SIZE=14pt]their foreheads, or on their hands;[/SIZE] [SIZE=14pt] and [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]V.5 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt](c)The rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. [/SIZE] [SIZE=14pt]This is the first resurrection.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]V.6http://www.revelationsmessage.co.uk/chapter20.html[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt](d)Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death[/SIZE] hath no power. (e)But they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.

[SIZE=12pt](a)[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] "They sat on them;" (Dr. Bullinger Comp. page 1920, "The Father and Christ, Chp. 3:21, and heavenly beings associated with them [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]as assessors, Chp. 1:4.)[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt](b)[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] "Souls;" Interlinear 5590, derived from 5594; which is by implication "SPIRIT," as opposed to "a living soul," which is body + spirit of life = soul! These are the "Overcomers," of Chp. 2:26.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt](c)[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] This resurrection is the first of the Millennial period, it concerns the "Overcomers," of the early Chapters of Revelation and probably those of Dan. 12:2,[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] and in the opinion of the writers is a totally separate event to the "translation," of believers, prior to the wrath of God, (1 Thess. 4:13-17) (Phil. 3:11.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt](d)[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] See 20:14.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt](e)[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] See Rev. 5:10.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]V.7http://www.revelationsmessage.co.uk/chapter20.html#V.7[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt](a)[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]And when the thousand years are over, [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Satan shall be loosed out of his prison.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]V.8http://www.revelationsmessage.co.uk/chapter20.html#V.8[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]And shall go out [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]to deceive the nations[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] which are in the four quarters of the earth, [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt](b)[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Gog and Magog, to gather them together to [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt](c)[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]battle: the number of whom is the sand of the sea.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt](a)[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] Satan allowed again to do his worst, for a defined period[/SIZE] (short.)
[SIZE=12pt](b)[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] Gog and Magog, apparently an inclusive term for all Gentile nations; East (Gog,) West (Magog.) The destruction of GOG and MAGOG, Ezk. 39, is pre-millennial, (see Ezk. 39:25) (Comp. p. 1911,) therefore the post Millennial comment here, as mentioned are probably the descendants of the original Gog and Magog! See:[/SIZE] [SIZE=13.5pt]Gog and Magog[/SIZE] [SIZE=13.5pt](Separate study)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt](c) [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Again against Israel,[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] and again attempting to[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] deceive [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]the nations of the world, and is a reminder to the nations that Satan is destruction, deceit, pain, anguish, and all evil of every sort, inflicted on humankind, and heavenly creation![/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]V.9http://www.revelationsmessage.co.uk/chapter20.html#V.9[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt](a)[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]And they went up over the breadth of the land and [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]encircled the camp of the saints and the beloved city[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]:[/SIZE] [SIZE=14pt](b)[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]and fire came down from God out of heaven, and destroyed them.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt](a)[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] As soon as Satan again threatens Israel, this time the time is right to destroy the anti-Israel, anti God, armies of the world, without delay![/SIZE] His imprisonment had not had any effect; and now God is seen to destroy him, to avoid a repeat of his earlier devastations on earth with humankind, and prior to Gen. 1:1.
[SIZE=12pt](b) See 9:17(a). 11:5(a.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]V.10http://www.revelationsmessage.co.uk/chapter20.html#V.10[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt](a)[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]And [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]the devil[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] that deceived them was cast into the [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]lake of fire[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] and brimstone, [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]where the beast and the false prophet are,[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] and they shall be tormented day and night to the [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]Age of the Ages.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt](a)[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] Satan finally dealt with, never to return! This "lake of fire," was prepared for Satan and his angels, and those of Satan’s people who persecuted Israel and Christians; and is (age abiding "App. 151"), and who were sent there at the Judgement of "sheep and goats;" Matt. 25:41. (See: also Rev. 14:9-11)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]V.11http://www.revelationsmessage.co.uk/chapter20.html#V.11[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt](a)And I saw [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]a [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]great white throne, [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]and Him That sat on it, from[/SIZE] [SIZE=14pt]Whose face[/SIZE] [SIZE=14pt](b)the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]V.12http://www.revelationsmessage.co.uk/chapter20.html#V.12[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt](c)[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]And I saw the dead, the great and small standing before the throne; and [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt](d)the books were opened:[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] and another book was opened, which is [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]the book of life:[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt](a)[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] This is the so called "great white throne judgement," which commences after the end of the Millennial reign and after the final demise of Satan.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt](b)[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] See Chp. 21:1.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt](c)[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]All people that ever lived who were not in the first resurrection, or the Rapture of The Body of Christ, or of Overcomers.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt](d)[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] "The books;" [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]"these books," i.e. records are kept on all humans, in heaven. They do not apply to those of [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]THE BODY OF CHRIST, or THE OVERCOMERS [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]of earlier chapters. The results of these records are the judgements about to be given in these verses. The second death applies to those people whose life actions are against good conscience, in the case of Gentiles, or the Law of Moses, in the case of Jews, (Rom. 2:12-16,) and is the penalty for those failing! (See: Matt. 10:28.) See App. 131; “fires of destruction”. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Reference has been made to these books from the earliest record in Holy Writ. Some of these are; Ex. 32:32-33, Dan.7:10, 12:1. Rev. 3:5, 13:8, 17:8, 20:12, 20:15, 21:27.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]V.13http://www.revelationsmessage.co.uk/chapter20.html#V.13[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt](a)[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]And the sea gave up the dead which are in it; [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]and death and the (b)grave delivered up the dead which are in them: [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] and they were judged each one according to their works.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt](a)[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] See Vs. 11 and 12 and notes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt](b)[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] This in A.D. 1611 translated incorrectly [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]"hell;" [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]the concept of hell is Babylonian and Greek in origin (Pythagoras) and adopted by the [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Roman church,[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] and later by the Church of England and other Protestant groups. The Greek word "HADES," renders (Str. No. 86,) a place or state of departed souls, (i.e. bodies) i.e. grave, “hell”. This led the Roman church to develop the concept of "purgatory," a place between life, and heaven or "hell." This was due to the Roman adoption of the Greek concept of soul, i.e. as a separate continuing entity to the body, which ignores the clear definition given in[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] Genesis, 2:7, [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]where God "formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]living soul." [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]The soul therefore is the result of the dust + the breath of life [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]= the soul![/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] The Roman error has led to the awful practice of praying by Roman Catholics for "the souls of departed loved ones," which leads them to believe that their prayers can overcome the departed ones sins, and gain them access to heaven! [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]This terrible teaching negates the work of Our Lord on The Cross,[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]and millions of people worldwide are thus misled. This is part of the "Harlot," of Chps. 17 and 18 etc.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]It is certain that the subject of [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]"hell," [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]has become more mixed together with the [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]“grave,”[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] mistranslation. See: [/SIZE] [SIZE=13.5pt]Hell; [/SIZE][SIZE=13.5pt](Separate study) [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]and [/SIZE][SIZE=13.5pt] Hell's Punishment? (Separate study) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]V.14 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]And death and the grave were cast into[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] the lake of fire. This is the second death.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt](a)See Chapter 12:11(c); and Chapter 20:6.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]V.15http://www.revelationsmessage.co.uk/chapter20.html[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt](a)[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt](a)[/SIZE] [SIZE=13.5pt] Lake of fire and brimstone; 20:10 (a). 21:8 (b).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]Go to chapters 1 to 22, or[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]www.revelationsmessage.co.ukhttp://www.revelationsmessage.co.uk/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=24pt]Subjectindexhttp://www.revelationsmessage.co.uk/Subjectindex.htm[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]If you have questions or comments, please click here. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]Back to top[/SIZE]