Demon Bondages

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It came up in another thread, this term, "Demon Bondages", referring to a Christian being in bondage to a demon, or to demons.

I'm aware of the place that Jesus refers to the woman He heals as having been bound by Satan. This was a physical affliction.

Is there more in Scripture on this topic? That the regenerate can be in "demon bondages"?

Much love!

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It came up in another thread, this term, "Demon Bondages", referring to a Christian being in bondage to a demon, or to demons.

I'm aware of the place that Jesus refers to the woman He heals as having been bound by Satan. This was a physical affliction.

Is there more in Scripture on this topic? That the regenerate can be in "demon bondages"?

Much love!
Hi Marks,
I think we already know a Christian cannot be "possessed" by Satan but we sure can and are oppressed daily IMO.
Satan ONLY bothers Christians but, waits for a weak spot to devour all he can of God's children.
1 Peter 5:8

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 12:2
[2]And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

I believe that strongholds can be present in the mind that cause us to stumble and even to sin. That's why we need to renew our minds daily with the Word of God. That's where transformation happens.

Ephesians 5:26
[26]That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Too many holler the spirit of this or that , when in truth , man is tempted of his own flesh
Now satan can tempt as well . But the problem lies within man .
THUS its time for the churches to start speaking out against SIN
and if one is in sin , bondage to sin , REBUKE THEM . Correct them .
Remember the pattern paul taught .
WHEN he wrote to the corinthian church about the man who had his fathers wife ,
DID HE say , OH PRAY THAT SPIRIT OF FORNCIATION OFF HIM
OR DID HE SAY cast HIM OUT and deliver him over unto...........
THE problem is folks aint correcting the sinner , they are simply laying the blame all on satan .
SURE satan tempts us , BUT rebuke the MAN who did the evil . That is the pattern . AND I SAY we stick TO IT . cause its the only
pattern that works .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Marks,
I think we already know a Christian cannot be "possessed" by Satan but we sure can and are oppressed daily IMO.
Satan ONLY bothers Christians but, waits for a weak spot to devour all he can of God's children.
What does it mean to be oppressed by demons, and what is there in the Bible about this?

1 Peter 5:8-9 KJV
8) Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
9) Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

It sounds like the devil will afflict us, and we can resist him in faith.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that strongholds can be present in the mind that cause us to stumble and even to sin.
Can you describe what you mean as a "stronghold"? I have an idea, but I want to know yours.

Much love!

Reactions: Goldie75

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it mean to be oppressed by demons, and what is there in the Bible about this?

1 Peter 5:8-9 KJV
8) Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
9) Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

It sounds like the devil will afflict us, and we can resist him in faith.

Much love!
Yes indeed my friend . Also james reminds us of something . A KEY THING i think many dont know .
What is the first step in it all . SUBMIT TO GOD . RESIST the DEVIL and HE WILL FLEE .
WELL , are we submitting to GOD when we go around and omit things both JESUS and the apostels taught .
NOPE . SUBMIT TO HIS PATTERN IN ALL THINGS .
THIS would include ALL THINGS .
SUBMIT TO GOD . RESIST the DEVIL
Now also remember that JESUS was tempted in all points such as we are , YET without sin
AND thus also HE can succor us , GIVE AIDE to US through whatever tempts us .
GOD does give a way OUT of every temptation . HIS NAME IS JESUS .
TRUST IN GOD . HOPE IN GOD . LEARN the biblical pattern . WHOLE churches are being consumed now
cause they wont and did not stick to the original pattern . When one begins to take off even the slightest
from the original pattern JESUS taught and later the apostels all expounded on , I am telling us
IT WILL FALL . Leaven will rise up and leaven will take over that church and fast too .
LEADERS have no business leading if they cant LEAD . AND IF THEY DONT KNOW that pattern well
WELL , they ought not to teach . SIT DOWN till one learns it . THEN after being well tested , they may lead and teach the church .
BIBLES OPEN . I am so worried for so many now . THUS out of love and great desire for good to them , I GOTTA WARN
and must POINT ONLY TO CHRIST , and that means HIS PATTERN .

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Marks,
Yes this is what I found as well.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Can you describe what you mean as a "stronghold"? I have an idea, but I want to know yours.

Much love!
I think a stronghold is a sin people have a hard time fleeing from. Like the vomit a dog keeps returning to.

Jericho was like a physical representation of a spiritual stronghold.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
A simple answer would be to remind the peoples of the weapons of our warfare .
IF we would but learn that biblical pattern then we would do well .
FOR OUR weapons are not carnal , they are MIGHTY , THE SPIRIT , to the pulling down OF STRONG HOLDS
and of every thing that does exalt itself against GOD , bringing even our minds unto the obediance of Christ .
BUT again , WHO ARE WE SUBMITTING ourselves too , men who teach error , OR GOD , OR CHRIST .
WE MUST learn that pattern in the bible well . WE have A MIGHTY WEAPON that simply is not known to the carnal mind
and it cannot be recieved by the carnal mind . ITS THE LORD , ITS HIM . ONLY till we submit unto HIM
i fear huge for souls . This is why i am constantly saying to all , READ and love your bibles
and do not let men omit what they taught . DO NOT Let men make excuse and say odd things like
well that was for a different time and age . NO ITS FOR US NOW . ITS ALL FOR US . WE must never change it . SIMPLY
SUBMIT TO IT , submit to GOD . WHO INSPIRED the apostels , THE SPIRIT DID .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 10:3-6 KJV
3) For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
4) (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds)
5) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
6) And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

This is the only place this word is used. There is nothing here that tells us explicitly about what these strongholds are, however, the context gives a clue I think.

We walk in flesh, but we don't war according to the fleshy ways.
Our weapons are not fleshy, they are mighty to the pulling down of strongholds.
We are casting down imaginations and every high thing exalting itself against the knowledge of God.
We are bringing into captivity every thought . . .

It seems to me that the strongholds here are in one's mind. Imaginations, thoughts which are against the knowledge of God.

Much love!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
A stronghold is like a castle or fortified place in the mind. You can verify this with verses 5 & 6.

2 Corinthians 10:3-6
[3]For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
[4](For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
[5]Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
[6]And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

Strongholds are formed as a result of brokenness and wounding, and the strongest strongholds begin early in life. The way we overcome a stronghold is to cast down imaginations (thoughts) that exalt themselves against the knowledge of God. So if we have a belief system that isn't consistent with God's Word, we are to cast it down. It's good also to arm ourselves with truth, because it is the knowledge of the truth that makes us free.

John 8:31-32
[31]Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
[32]And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 10:3-6
[3]For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
[4](For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds)
[5]Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
[6]And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

What are the weapons of our warfare?

Much love!

Reactions: amigo de christo

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are the weapons of our warfare?

Much love!
If I may step into that question. The weapons of our warfare is the Holy Spirit and being worthy to receive him spiritually. That binds us from demonic possession and enlightens our hearts and minds away from temptations.

Reactions: marks

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Honestly, worthiness isn't something we possess. What we are worthy of is hell. That's why we need Jesus.

Our weapons are mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds. See also, verse 10 below. We are to be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. It's not anything we merit or can do on our own. We can only overcome through Christ.

The weapons of our warfare are given in verses 14-18.

Ephesians 6:10-18
[10]Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
[11]Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
[12]For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
[13]Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
[14]Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
[15]And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
[16]Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
[17]And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
[18]Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Reactions: Nancy and marks

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Honestly, worthiness isn't something we possess. What we are worthy of is hell. That's why we need Jesus.

Our weapons are mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds. See also, verse 10 below. We are to be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. It's not anything we merit or can do on our own. We can only overcome through Christ.

The weapons of our warfare are given in verses 14-18.

Ephesians 6:10-18
[10]Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
[11]Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
[12]For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
[13]Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
[14]Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
[15]And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
[16]Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
[17]And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
[18]Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
Ephesians 4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
I see what you're saying. And yet, the weapons of our warfare are mighty through God... not through or of ourselves.

In context, walking worthy of our calling involves humility, long-suffering, lowliness, meekness, forebearance, keeping the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace... again, not self-focused.

Ephesians 4:1-3
[1]I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
[2]With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
[3]Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

I can see how you draw the connection of worthiness. But those verses aren't specifically speaking if the weapons of our warfare. But this speaks of walking worthy of our calling. Not a worthiness to receive Him spiritually. None of us are worthy to receive Him. We receive Him by grace through faith. We didn't earn that. That's why we need grace.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see what you're saying. And yet, the weapons of our warfare are mighty through God... not through or of ourselves.

In context, walking worthy of our calling involves humility, long-suffering, lowliness, meekness, forebearance, keeping the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace... again, not self-focused.

Ephesians 4:1-3
[1]I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
[2]With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
[3]Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

I can see how you draw the connection of worthiness. But those verses aren't specifically speaking if the weapons of our warfare. But this speaks of walking worthy of our calling. Not a worthiness to receive Him spiritually. None of us are worthy to receive Him. We receive Him by grace through faith. We didn't earn that. That's why we need grace.
Yes of course. For the record, the worthiness Paul is referring to is a calling. As followers of Jesus we have a calling. Worthiness is considered in the following verses and it relates to obeying the commandments of Jesus which are above and beyond the 10 commandments: 1 Timothy 3:2-12

And I realize that I am a sinner and not worthy of my calling ;)

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think we are supposed to believe in these things, if we believe in God Jehovah and his only begotten son, then we are free of these things and protected by God Jehovah and our Lord and Savior Christ, and Satan can't harm us or his minions.