Denominational Buffet

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
You seem to wash a lot of hogs here lately. Why even comment if you have no constructive criticism to offer, no scripture no study nothing but negative opinion.
sad.gif

There's an old saying Jerry "if everything stinks check your mustache".

Very good posts Fivesense. This is where even Young's literal creates some difficulty. Dynamic translations are sometime more accurate towards conveying the original thought of the context.

Jiggyfly, your a riot!!!
fivesense

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
If there is a million churches and 30,000 denominations, non-denominationalism would want us to have a million denominations. Non-denominationalism is self-contradicting.

Denominations are important for accountability and support. Denominations are also biblical (not because of disagreement, but because of organizational reasons). It's a cop-out to say a non-denominational church answers to God. And, is God going to print your Sunday School guides or furnish you with a trained minister?

What's a good denomination? Lutheran Missouri Synod. Presbyterian Church in America. Etc.

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
Not if you realize I was responding to "is God going to print your Sunday School guides ..." NonDenominational churches have Sunday School material, it's called the Bible.

I pitty the children at your church if the only words they get to see in Sunday School is from the pages of the KJV.

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
Then the children at your church are growing up ignorant of the word of God because it is being presented to them in a way that they can't follow.

Have you ever been to my church? How do you know if the Word is being "presented to them in a way that they can't follow?" You are presuming that our church leaders are ignorant of Scripture and your assumption could be wrong.

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
Have you ever been to my church? How do you know if the Word is being "presented to them in a way that they can't follow?" You are presuming that our church leaders are ignorant of Scripture and your assumption could be wrong.

Someone who argues that all they need is the KJV is being silly.

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
Someone who argues that all they need is the KJV is being silly.

I don't know that I ever said KJV is all I use because it is not. I primarily us the Companion Bible which is a KJV with a lot more. The Strong's Concordance is also a must have along with a Smith's Bible Dictionary, a Greens Interlinear and Parsing Guide. I read some Greek and Hebrew but the translating tools are helpful.

Added:
I also must add that having good Hebrew and Greek basic grammar textbooks help.

I think we should return to the OP.

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
I don't know that I ever said KJV is all I use because it is not. I primarily us the Companion Bible which is a KJV with a lot more. The Strong's Concordance is also a must have along with a Smith's Bible Dictionary, a Greens Interlinear and Parsing Guide. I read some Greek and Hebrew but the translating tools are helpful.

Added:
I also must add that having good Hebrew and Greek basic grammar textbooks help.

What's with all the heathen stuff? Why isn't the KJV alone good enough for you?

Are there any more heathen materials that you use in church that you would like to tell me about?

Well, I guess, if the Green's interlinear and parsing guide is good enough for you, it's good enough for the Sunday preschool class.

You've already made a mockery of your earlier reply, "Yes, it's called the Bible" to my comment about needing various supplies.

You use extra materials to make more fruitful your Bible study. Likewise, denominations are useful to make more fruitful the church by supplying materials more designed for the needs and beliefs of the affiliated churches. Denominations allow churches to pool their assets for "economies of scale." An important way denominations help is is be cluing people in who are looking for a church. You walk into a non-denominational church, you could be walking in to a Jim Jones or Arnold Murray church of weirdness (which might hide itself for a while from some people). You walk into a Lutheran Missouri Synod, you know you are walking into a doctrinally sound church.

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
I believe that many pastors here in CB are asked so often, "what denimination?". I can't count the times I've been asked. My answer is Christian, non-deniminational. Then they ask "well who are you accountable to?". My answer Father,Son, Holy Ghost.

Saying your church is accountable to the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost is a flippant non-answer. Ultimately, all churches and denominations are accountable to God, so even accepting that answer, it does not address the issue of non-denominationalism.

In the world, all men need accountability to other men. In the Bible, small gatherings were accountable to the city-based denominations, the city denominations were accountable to councils and the Apostles. In the world, it is crooks who try to avoid accountability with other men.

It is hard to believe that one can pick and choose Scripture and wham got a denomination. I'm forced to ask what do you do with the rest of the Gospel. Jesus said;"He did not come to change the scripture, but that scripture would be fullfilled Matthew 5:17-18,KJV . John 3:16 is the whole Word of God, the complete summation of God's Love Letter to the World. Our Father's Ministries is a Full Gospel Ministry. We believe in the Gifts of the Spirit, that Jesus is the Way,the Truth, and the Life, there is no other Way to the Father but by Jesus Christ.

People will pick and choose scripture to select or reject your church, just the same as any denominational church (there is nothing wrong with that, per se). Hypocritically, the moment you criticize people being choosy, you rattle of your own church's distinctive views on scripture to enable others to "wham" get a church. So, again, your comments do not address the issue of non-denominationalism.

That is the end of denominational Buffet right there.

Instead of a buffet of 30,000 denominations (most are irrelevant), you want a buffet of a million denominations (each church being an individual buffet offering). I'm not defending the existence of so many denominations. I'd prefer to see fewer denominations. You'd prefer to see more denominations (and more chaos).

Denominations provide accountability, public discloser, unity, efficiency from pooled resources, trained leaders, etc. So far, you have supplied only nonsense in defense off non-denominationalism. What are real benefits of avoiding denominations? I see none, other than a burden created when the denomination itself starts to head in a crazy or apostate direction (a church may be forced to leave the denomination).

Tell me pastor, does your church's statement of faith reveal its position on the state of Israel? I doubt it, because crazy churches are seldom forthcoming about their less biblical beliefs. Someone has to go there to your church, maybe for severals week or months before they learn of your church's blasphemous doctrine on Israel. You say it's not blasphemous. That's not the issue here. Being in a denomination lets a person know what the church is about before walking into it. Do you want to spend any time attending a blasphemous church?

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
it has always been, especially in protestant churches, that if you frequently attend the church, come to the alter call, repent of your sins, accept jesus as the son of god and your personal savior, then you ARE concidered as a MEMBER of that church, therefore assuming that denomination affiliation. i, myself have dozens of these affiliations. do i call myself by the denomination of my LAST church tthat i reguularly attended?