Denominations

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stone

Dec 16, 2007
1 Corinthians 1:11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. 1 Corinthians 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. 1 Corinthians 1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? 1 Corinthians 1:14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; 1 Corinthians 1:15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. Comparison:There seems to be contentions among the denominations.Now this I say, that every one of you says, I am of Martin Luther (Lutheran); and I of John Calvin (Presbyterian); and I of John Wesley (Methodist); and I of Christ.Is Christ devided? Was Martin Luther crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Luther?I think you should be able to see what I am trying to say here. The scriptures seem to show that denominationalism is not correct.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
exactly There is no denomination in Gods word God is for everyone Religious denominations are made by for men thats why there is no right churchthey all are the inventions of men there is only one way and that is CHRISTno denomination will save you

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
Agree that belonging to a particular Church, especially in the sense of claiming membership does not save anyone.Disagree that means no teachings are more true than others. What is true is true and where two things are opposed, one must not be true. In that sense the various teachings of Chrisitians as we have it today cannot all be true as there are contradictions. We disagree and are all considered or at least claim to be Christains whether we belong to a particular Church or not. It does not absolutely follow that no one Church is correct. From a strictly logical and reasoned stand, anyone belonging to a particular Church must in some sense think or at least feel that Church to be most correct, or else they would go some place else to worship.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I didnt say no teachings were true I said there is no right church (denomination )There are right teachings but no one can claim they are the right denominationas God Word has no denominatios God is not Baptist,or Luthern or any denomination

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
I had a pastor who said that "You don't have to be a Baptist to go to heaven, but as long as you're going you might as well go first class.":rolleyes: Well, I do know that Jesus didn't start any denomination; He just started a church. "Upon this rock I will build my church." Matt. 16:18. Of course, the Rock He was building on was Himself and not Peter as some believe.

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
Mans Doctrines and interpritations are what seperate the Church.I have expressed here many times that I dont agree with the serpant seed interpritation.That doesnt make me or those I disagree with any closer to the Lord than one another and it doesnt stand in the way of our relationship with Christ,but it could be a dividing point.Some Catholics worship the virgin Mary and the saints while some dont.Some Jehovah Witnesses belive God and Christ are seperate Gods and some dont.Some Muslims believe in Christ as most Christians do,but most Muslims believe Him to be merely a prophet.No matter the faith you adhere to or the denomination,only God knows your heart.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(RobinD69;32887)
Mans Doctrines and interpritations are what seperate the Church.I have expressed here many times that I dont agree with the serpant seed interpritation.That doesnt make me or those I disagree with any closer to the Lord than one another and it doesnt stand in the way of our relationship with Christ,but it could be a dividing point.Some Catholics worship the virgin Mary and the saints while some dont.Some Jehovah Witnesses belive God and Christ are seperate Gods and some dont.Some Muslims believe in Christ as most Christians do,but most Muslims believe Him to be merely a prophet.No matter the faith you adhere to or the denomination,only God knows your heart.
You hit the nail on the head. I basically look at denominations as places where you hear more of one thing and not enough about another. If baptism is important to you, then go to a Baptist church. Or a Pentecostal if tongues is a big thing.As for myself, I do not agree with everything that my denomination teaches. But instead of causing a rift over it, I do what most of us good husbands do: I simply tune that part out. Some doctrines are extremely difficult to understand and grasp, but most churches agree on the essentials of the faith: The person and atoning work of Christ. The rest we are just learning, but the denomination (church) that studies God's Word deeper I noticed usually has more a of a true grasp on things, but even then, not everything.

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
Muslim's god is not same as Christians'. Muslims don't believe that Jesus is the Son of God and was crusified,died for our sins, rose from dead and lives in us through the Holy Spirit. There is a huge difference.In Christianity there is no perfect church here on earth. And as said before Church DOES NOT SAVE YOU, ONLY JESUS DOES. There is no other way to have a relationship with true loving God and salvation from eternal hell than through Jesus.R.Thunder1

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
(kriss;32881)
I didnt say no teachings were true I said there is no right church (denomination )There are right teachings but no one can claim they are the right denominationas God Word has no denominatios God is not Baptist,or Luthern or any denomination
God the Father is not, but Jesus is clearly the head of the Church, both here and in Heaven.The question is not whether all Christian Churches are "really" Christian or whether Jesus is the Head of all of us (of course He is). The question is whether or not there is any reason to believe God meant for Christians to be united in teachings or not. If not, why not? If so, then is there any Church today that represents that unity of teachings? As an aside, we all logically must believe that whatever faith we claim is the true or truest one, otherwise we would claim another (unless not free to do so). And this is as true for denominationalist as it is for non-denominationalist.Does it make sense to you that God would have all Christians in disagreement? Not just in that state, but being led in that state?When He said He laid a foundation for a Church in His Apostle, how could a single foundation lead to what we have today? God is not the author of confusion. No matter what side of this one stands, one cannot claim there is not confusion among Christians today. You could argue that foundation no longer exists in any one Church today. But then we would have to ask why God would start something only to allow it to fall apart. And if all Christians were in agreement on teachings, what would we call them as a group if not a single Christain "Church", when refering to them as opposed to Buddist, Hindu or Muslim?

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
Muslims,Jehovah Witnesses,Mormans,Moonies,Christian Identity,and the list goes on and on.If you go back far enough in History they all originate with the original faith of Adam and Eve which is currently being called Christianity.Ofcourse there are those who believe their religion predates Christianity.Maybe the word but not the faith.Jesus and God have always been the same,always drawing man to faith in their truth and away from mans perversions.Denomination can be a help,but when they sway to far they become a henderance.I had a friend who was going to a penticostal church,he loved Christ and desired to be born again,they told him he must speak in tongue to show proof of conversion but it never happened and he was scared he would never be saved.I asked him if he believed in Christ,the birth,life death and resurection,he said with all his heart he believed,I told him that according to the Bible he was saved and he just had to accept this truth.He started coming to the church I attended and the preacher agreed with what I told my friend and asked him if he wanted to be baptised into the family of God.Now ofcourse this being a southern baptist church,baptism was your puplic profession of faith by immulating Christ and being baptised.My friend agreed and to this day he is a prominant member of that very Church.As I said sometimes denominations can be a good thing and sometimes a bad thing.If it is keeping you from a relationship with Christ because of some doctrine,go somewhere else.The Bible is your sword and the Holy Spirit is your guide,Have faith and love Christ.

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
RobinD69:As I said sometimes denominations can be a good thing and sometimes a bad thing.If it is keeping you from a relationship with Christ because of some doctrine,go somewhere else.The Bible is your sword and the Holy Spirit is your guide,Have faith and love Christ.Thunder1: I agree with you RobinD69. Go somewhere else,if you don't feel comfortable in one church. Keep looking and searching until you find the place that you feel like being at home. Ask The Holy Spirit's guidance, He will answer. If one door closes other one opens. But remember there is not totally perfect church anywhere, because we are just humans, but God still works through us. And fellowship with other Christians is important and biblical.

lastsecman

Nov 8, 2006
(Jon-Marc;32886)
I had a pastor who said that "You don't have to be a Baptist to go to heaven, but as long as you're going you might as well go first class.":rolleyes: .
*Chuckl-ing*

bigdummy

Feb 1, 2008
I agree with you whole heartedly Robin but when you take in to consideration that the bible is a book of interpitation I don't believe we will ever have a one world belief system

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
We will but only when antichrist arrives (6th trump) we will have a fake one world religon Not until the true Christ arrives (7th) trump will we have the one truth

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
We do not call ourselves Lutherans, but are so styled by our enemies, and we permit it as a token of our consent with the pure teaching of the Word which Luther set forth. We suffer ourselves to bear his name, not as of one who has invented a new faith, but of one who has restored the old, and purified the Church. -- Johann GerhardWe do not claim that our Confessors were infallible. We do not say they could not fail. We only claim that they did not fail. -- Charles Porterfield KrauthThe Evangelical Catholic is a glorious Church; it holds and conforms itself chiefly to the Sacraments. The Evangelical Reformed is a glorious Church; it holds and conforms itself chiefly to the Word of God. More glorious than both is the Evangelical Lutheran Church; it holds and conforms itself both to the Sacraments and the Word of God. Into this Lutheran Church both the others are developing, even without the intentional aid of men. But the way of the ungodlyshall perish, says David (Ps. 1:6). -- Claus Harms

goldy

Nov 6, 2007
(stone;32860)
1 Corinthians 1:11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. 1 Corinthians 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. 1 Corinthians 1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? 1 Corinthians 1:14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; 1 Corinthians 1:15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. Comparison:There seems to be contentions among the denominations.Now this I say, that every one of you says, I am of Martin Luther (Lutheran); and I of John Calvin (Presbyterian); and I of John Wesley (Methodist); and I of Christ.Is Christ devided? Was Martin Luther crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Luther?I think you should be able to see what I am trying to say here. The scriptures seem to show that denominationalism is not correct.
You should blame Luther for denominations. Before he came along, there was one, visible church on this earth. And that church agreed on all doctrines. I think all of you know which church I'm talking about.......

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(goldy;33850)
(stone;32860)
1 Corinthians 1:11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.1 Corinthians 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.1 Corinthians 1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?1 Corinthians 1:14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;1 Corinthians 1:15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.Comparison:There seems to be contentions among the denominations.Now this I say, that every one of you says, I am of Martin Luther (Lutheran); and I of John Calvin (Presbyterian); and I of John Wesley (Methodist); and I of Christ.Is Christ devided? Was Martin Luther crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Luther?I think you should be able to see what I am trying to say here. The scriptures seem to show that denominationalism is not correct.
You should blame Luther for denominations. Before he came along, there was one, visible church on this earth. And that church agreed on all doctrines. I think all of you know which church I'm talking about.......Sad to hear that you still believe in this junk. Christ doesn't need a church building, but His followers to do the work for Him after His flesh death. And also Christ doesn't need a religion either. Catholism and Islam makes some ridiculous yet similar claim for that God. I repeat, God only is right, not men...JagLooks like I need to pray for you...Lovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Letsgofishing;33791)
There are no denominationswere just foolish enough to believe there are!!!!!!!!
excellent statement true words

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
I have a crazy friend that's reeeaaal country! He was "reading" a crossing- the-street sign that said,"Pedestrian Crossing" and he said,"Oh, well I can't cross here 'cuz I ain't no Presbyterian!" He really cracks me up! Anyway, it's a shame that the church the disciples/apostles started can't be more unified. They were so close in the book of Acts. It was first called the church in Antioch, so I don't know why anyone would think it had anything to do with the Catholic Church (no harm intended). However, the name "Christian" means "little Christ", so how some of the religions mentioned could even be categorized as such is beyond me. Jesus' very own words in John 14 are,"I am the way, the truth, and the life." That leaves no room for accepting any of the other teachings from any "religion" that does not absolutely 100% accept that He is God and He is our Savior and Lord. I do think we tend be drawn toward the church we feel the most comfortable in as far as doctrine and worship. I have tried several kinds of denominations, searching for truth. I have been so disappointed in some churches who make it so much about works that I wonder if they can even see the cross! I have had bad experiences with the speaking in tongues thing, even though I believe it is a gift. I don't think it should be forced upon anyone as an evidence of salvation. The comment was made that Baptists focus on baptism. I think that's funny, because that is such a small part of what we focus on. I don't agree with all Baptist doctrine, but I think most of it lines up with God's Word. Our church teaches a little "out of the box" as compared to most Baptist churches. We raise our hands, clap to the Lord, and shout to the Lord. We do teach that tongues is a gift. We accept that David danced before the Lord because it's Biblical. We really try to go by what the Word says. I like that. Where we differ from some denominations is that we believe once you're saved, it's for always. How can you be born again yet lose your salvation? Why would the Lord say to the goats, "Depart from me, for I NEVER knew you", if you were saved, then lost again. Just something to think on.