Was Paul a Catholic?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Paul was a Catholic, he was not a very good one. I think that he would have gotten the anathema axe. Paul was not a Catholic, Paul was a New Covenant Christian.

Baptism is a big thing in the Catholic religion. If you have not been baptized in the Catholic church, you are not a Catholic. What was Paul's position on baptism? There were contentions in the Corinthian church about baptism. Some said that they had been baptized after Paul, others said that they had been baptized after Apollos or Cephas. This was causing division within the church. Paul could only remember baptizing three people, Crispus, Gaius and the household of Stephanas. He could not remember baptizing any others, 1 Corinthians 1:10-17. Try telling a Catholic priest that baptism is not important.

Paul said to the Corinthians, "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the Gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect" 1 Corinthians 1:17.

Catholics are also big on works and keeping the law, this is part of their salvation. Catholicism does not have a Gospel; it is all about works and obedience. Paul said, "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law (what we do) but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we that have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law (what we do) shall no flesh be justified" Galatians 2:16. The works of the law is any religious thing that we do.

Catholicism came out of Rome. Rome was the most immoral, corrupt, sinful, perverted place on the face of the earth. If you didn't worship Ceasar you died. Romes favorite past time was feeding Christians to the lions. Ceasar enjoyed pouring oil on them and setting them on fire. Out of this cesspool of humanity came the Catholic church. Paul was beheaded by the Roman Government.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Paul was a Catholic, he was not a very good one. I think that he would have gotten the anathema axe. Paul was not a Catholic, Paul was a New Covenant Christian.

Baptism is a big thing in the Catholic religion. If you have not been baptized in the Catholic church, you are not a Catholic. What was Paul's position on baptism? There were contentions in the Corinthian church about baptism. Some said that they had been baptized after Paul, others said that they had been baptized after Apollos or Cephas. This was causing division within the church. Paul could only remember baptizing three people, Crispus, Gaius and the household of Stephanas. He could not remember baptizing any others, 1 Corinthians 1:10-17. Try telling a Catholic priest that baptism is not important.

Paul said to the Corinthians, "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the Gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect" 1 Corinthians 1:17.

Catholics are also big on works and keeping the law, this is part of their salvation. Catholicism does not have a Gospel; it is all about works and obedience. Paul said, "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law (what we do) but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we that have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law (what we do) shall no flesh be justified" Galatians 2:16. The works of the law is any religious thing that we do.

Catholicism came out of Rome. Rome was the most immoral, corrupt, sinful, perverted place on the face of the earth. If you didn't worship Ceasar you died. Romes favorite past time was feeding Christians to the lions. Ceasar enjoyed pouring oil on them and setting them on fire. Out of this cesspool of humanity came the Catholic church. Paul was beheaded by the Roman Government.
Pagan Rome and its performance doesn't really relate to the RCC, but it's an interesting question. How does RCC doctrine and tradition stack up to Paul's theology? I don't think very well.

1st, Paul frowned upon sectarian divisions which is the most prominent aspect of Catholicism--denominational exclusivity and hierarchy. 2nd, Paul didn't believe that some matters should be fostered on other believers when they are purely external matters, such as observing certain holidays. Catholics are big on tradition.

But I'm not a Catholic, and don't really go too far in bashing Catholics. I would, however, point out problems when tradition eclipses a personal relationship with Christ or causes disfunction among different doctrinally-orthodox communions.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pagan Rome and its performance doesn't really relate to the RCC, but it's an interesting question. How does RCC doctrine and tradition stack up to Paul's theology? I don't think very well.

1st, Paul frowned upon sectarian divisions which is the most prominent aspect of Catholicism--denominational exclusivity and hierarchy. 2nd, Paul didn't believe that some matters should be fostered on other believers when they are purely external matters, such as observing certain holidays. Catholics are big on tradition.

But I'm not a Catholic, and don't really go too far in bashing Catholics. I would, however, point out problems when tradition eclipses a personal relationship with Christ or causes disfunction among different doctrinally-orthodox communions.
Catholics deviate from scripture. They really should have their own Bible like the Mormons.

Reactions: Tommy Cool

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed. Catholics who do own a Bible will only buy that which is approved by the Vatican.
I'll bet that the one that the Vatican approves is written in Chinese. If they would only read the Bible they could be delivered from Catholicism. Martin Luther discovered justification by faith from Paul's epistles.

Reactions: Gabriel _Arch