Did Abraham worship Idols before he left UR

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When I say that Abraham was not an idol worshipper while he lived in UR, my pastor states that he was and quotes Joshua 24:2 from the ESV to justify his understanding.

The ESV states this: -

2 And Joshua said to all the people, “Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, ‘Long ago, your fathers lived beyond the Euphrates, Terah, the father of Abraham and of Nahor; and they served other gods.​

Whereas I use the NKJV and it states this: -

2 And Joshua said to all the people, “Thus says the Lord God of Israel: ‘Your fathers, including Terah, the father of Abraham and the father of Nahor, dwelt on the other side of the River in old times; and they served other gods.​
The Bible Hub interlinear provides this information: -

1685428351881.png

I would suggest that the better way of paraphrasing what God said in this verse would be: -

'Your fathers dwelt on the other side of the River in old times; including Terah, (the father of Abraham and the father of Nahor), and they, {the fahters}, served other gods.​

states the context of what was being conveyed by God clear.

Is my pastor right though?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When I say that Abraham was not an idol worshipper while he lived in UR, my pastor states that he was and quotes Joshua 24:2 from the ESV to justify his understanding.

2 And Joshua said to all the people, “Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, ‘Long ago, your fathers lived beyond the Euphrates, Terah, the father of Abraham and of Nahor; and they served other gods.​

2 And Joshua said to all the people, “Thus says the Lord God of Israel: ‘Your fathers, including Terah, the father of Abraham and the father of Nahor, dwelt on the other side of the River in old times; and they served other gods.​

View attachment 33169

I would suggest that the better way of paraphrasing what God said in this verse would be: -

'Your fathers dwelt on the other side of the River in old times; including Terah, (the father of Abraham and the father of Nahor), and they, {the fahters}, served other gods.​

Interesting question Jay. Another question I find thought provoking is the account of God telling Abraham to sacrifice Issac. I find it implausible that God would make such a request particularly since human sacrifice was forbidden in later Hebrew law.
The idol worshippers surrounding Abraham apparently did sacrifice their children to their gods as common practice.

The account of God telling Abraham to sacrifice Issac reads like this;

Genesis 22:1 in the NIV
Some time later God tested Abraham. He said to him, “Abraham!”
“Here I am,” he replied.
2 Then God said, “Take your son, your only son, whom you love—Isaac—and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you.”

Genesis 22:1 in the King James
And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.
2 And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

and James reads like this in the NKJV
James 1:13 reads like this; 'No one who is tested should say, “God is tempting me!” This is because God is not tempted by any form of evil, nor does he tempt anyone'

For me both questions are somewhat unresolved.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

View attachment 33169

You are quite correct Jay, Abraham's father Terah not Abraham served other gods. Abraham served the true God Jehovah. I salute you for researching the truth for yourself sir. Just like the world we live in today, Ur was full of false gods whom the people worshipped. I think he was the only one recorded in the Bible as being called God's friend. I am going to have to ask that in a post.

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God called abraham out of Ur, ancient Iraq. Most people were self centered. Why abraham ?? Because he was one of God's Elect. Gods Elect don't have free will. Jesus will intervene in thier lifes. Ephesians chapter 2:20. And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief corner stone. In genesis, Abraham tithes to high priest melchizedek. Who is melchizedek?? Jesus !!. Gods Elect are of the priesthood of Melchizedek. God can use the election, thier pliable clay. Those who are self centered or close minded, aren't pliable clay. Get the picture. Jeremiah 18:6. O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? Says the Lord, Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are we in Mine hand , o house of Israel . God predestined, ordained His Election from earth age. Abraham didn't have choice in the matter. Moses is one of God's elect. Elijah, samuel, John Baptist. Is this adding up. Jesus isn't going to marr and pour water on those who have free will. God's Election are pliable clay. Get the picture. Abraham was prophet. King David was prophet.

Mark51

Nov 8, 2020
BROOKLYN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

View attachment 33169

I agree with the suggestion of "paraphrasing" that scripture in the sense to achieve a correct and proper understanding. Your pastor's understanding does not seem to support other scriptures. Today, there are many Christians that live idolatrous societies (righteously not sinless); and, do not participate in its common practices of false worship.

In Abraham’s time, the city of Ur was steeped in Babylonish idolatry and the worship of the moon-god: Sin. Archaeological diggings confirm this.-Joshua 24:2, 14, 15.

Terah, the father of Abram (Abraham), lived in the midst of idolatry; and; he certainly did engage in false/idol worship. This does not mean nor should we assume that Abraham did the same. On the contrary, Abraham (Abram) displayed faith as a man of the true God, even as his forefathers Shem and Noah did. As a consequence, he earned the reputation “the father of all those having faith while in un-circumcision.”-Romans 4:9-1. Compare Genesis 12:2.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, quiet!♥

I think Abraham knew darned good and well that he wouldn't have to sacrifice Isaac, because he said this

verse 5: And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.

He said they'd come back.