Did Christ instruct His Apostles to pray to His earthly mother?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
what other source do you have that is not scripture inspired by God that we can use for doctrine...and on whose authority???? 2 Tim3:14-15 says nothing of tradition or magisterium...vs15 is clear... he was acquainted with scripture from a child...and scripture is able to instruct him for salvation through Christ...

1 Tim. 3:14 ...continue in what you have learned..." That is a brief definition of Tradition. Since you have your own private definition, you can't accept the biblical one. "...and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it." That is a brief definition of Magisterium. To the Jews, it was called "The Seat of Moses." The teaching authority of the Jews was transferred to Peter, initially with him receiving the Keys of the Kingdom. Magisterium simply means "teaching authority". what do you mean..There is no such thing as a written ordinance.

scripture is the basis of all doctrine....if it is not in scripture ...it is not given by inspiration of God...therefore not profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

[/QUOTE]

"Profitable" does not mean exclusive, which is how you read it. 2 Tim 3:16 does not say all doctrine must be explicitly found in scripture. Scripture is a primary source, but not the only source.

2 Tim 3:
[14] But as for you, continue in what you have learned
(TRADITION) and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it (MAGISTERIUM)
[15] and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings
(SCRIPTURE) which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
[16] All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
[17] that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

Sola scripturists ignore verse 14 and 15 because it demolishes their position.

The Bible on St. Paul's list comes in third, not first. He actually gives here the traditional Catholic teaching on the three sources of sound teaching.

In verse 16 he goes into an excursus on the Bible. This brief excursus emphasizes the value of the Bible and recommends a fourfold method of exegesis. This verse was used as a proof text for the Quadriga which was the standard Catholic approach to the Bible, long before the so called reformation, and it is still used today. The Quadriga method used the following four categories:

Literal/Literary (teaching) - the text as it is written
Analogical (reproof) - matters of faith
Anagogical (correction) - matters of hope/prophecy
Moral (training in righteousness) - matters of charity

The so called reformers rejected all this and instead adopted a more literal approach to biblical exegesis, and Martin Luther was rejected by his contemporaries for ignoring
2 Timothy 3:16.

Far from distinguishing tradition from the gospel, as evangelicals often contend, the Bible equates tradition with the gospel and other terms such as "word of God," "doctrine," "holy commandment," "faith," and "things believed among us." All are "delivered" and "received":

1) Traditions "delivered" (1 Cor 11:2), "taught by word or epistle" (2 Thes 2:15), and "received" (2 Thes 3:6).

2) The Gospel "preached" and "received" (1 Cor 15:1-2, Gal 1:9,12, 1 Thes 2:9).

3) Word of God "heard" and "received" (Acts 8:14, 1 Thes 2:13).

4) Doctrine "delivered" (Rom 6:17; cf. Acts 2:42).

5) Holy Commandment "delivered" (2 Pet 2:21; cf. Mt 15:3-9, Mk 7:8-13).

6) The Faith "delivered" (Jude 3).

7) "Things believed among us" "delivered" (Lk 1:1-2).

Clearly, all these concepts are synonymous in Scripture, and all are predominantly oral. In St. Paul's writing alone we find four of these expressions used interchangeably. And in just the two Thessalonian epistles, "gospel," "word of God," and "tradition" are regarded as referring to the same thing. Thus, we must unavoidably conclude that "tradition" is not a dirty word in the Bible. Or, if one insists on maintaining that it is, then "gospel" and "word of God" are also bad words! Scripture allows no other conclusion - the exegetical evidence is simply too plain.

Thus, the Bible cannot be separated and isolated from tradition and a developmental process. Christianity does not take the view of Islam, whose written Revelation, the Q'uran, simply came down from heaven from Allah to Mohammad, without involving human participation in the least. Some extreme, fundamentalist forms of "Sola Scriptura" have a very similar outlook, but these fail the test of Scripture itself, like all the other manifestations of the "Bible Alone" mentality. As we have seen, Scripture does not nullify or anathematize Christian Tradition, which is larger and more all-encompassing than itself - quite the contrary.

In Catholicism, Scripture and Tradition are intrinsically interwoven. They have been described as "twin fonts of the one divine well-spring" (i.e., Revelation), and cannot be separated, any more than can two wings of a bird. A theology which attempts to sunder this organic bond is ultimately logically self-defeating, unbiblical, and divorced from the actual course of early Christian history.

I could write a book about 2 Tim. 3:16 and how severely it is abused, and demolish sola scriptura in the process.

1 Corinthians 11:2
Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
There is no such thing as a written ordinance.

dikaióma: an ordinance, a sentence of acquittal or condemnation, a righteous deed
Original Word: δικαίωμα, ατος, τό
Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
Transliteration: dikaióma
Phonetic Spelling: (dik-ah'-yo-mah)
Short Definition: a thing pronounced to be just
Definition: a thing pronounced (by God) to be righteous (just, the right); or the restoration of a criminal, a fresh chance given him; a righteous deed, an instance of perfect righteousness.

It's kinda dumb for Paul to hand deliver scripture when he always prefers oral preaching. How do you write down a righteous deed?

catholics asking Mary to pray for them is not in scripture...the living pray to God for the living
God is a God of the living. He invites us to pray for each other, living on earth or living in heaven. You unbiblically divide the Body of Christ.

I have no idea about " Who was the first Bible-Christian to invent the term "dead saint"? but I do know we are called to be saints...we do not have to wait for the pope to make us saints.
..You are evading the question. "Dead saint" is not in the bible, it is invented by prot cults that have only been around for a few decades, more or less. I see it all the time. The saints in heaven are more alive than you and I; its prot cults that deny life after death, especially when it comes to trying to explain intercession of the saints. It's like trying to explain the Trinity to a JW or a Muslim. The Pope doesn't make anyone a saint, he declares sainthood based on the sanctity of a persons life, they are already saints, which proves your ignorance. Yet you feel qualified to criticize Catholicism based on what you learn from a voyeuristic view obscured by stained glass.

Romans 1:7 To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Rome...imagine that.
1 Corinthians 1:2
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's:

How does this exclude the church in heaven?
There is nothing in scripture about Marian doctrine...that is total rubbush
Total rubbish is believing Jesus came to earth by space aliens, since you can't find Mary in scripture.

"...he was acquainted with scripture from a child..." which logically excludes the New Testament, so it can't mean scripture alone.
Ezekiel 43:11
And if they be ashamed of all that they have done, shew them the form of the house, and the fashion thereof, and the goings out thereof, and the comings in thereof, and all the forms thereof, and all the ordinances thereof, and all the forms thereof, and all the laws thereof: and write it in their sight, that they may keep the whole form thereof, and all the ordinances thereof, and do them.

2 Chronicles 35:25
And Jeremiah lamented for Josiah: and all the singing men and the singing women spake of Josiah in their lamentations to this day, and made them an ordinance in Israel: and, behold, they are written in the lamentations.

Just because pronouncements are written does not change the definition. Definitions from Strong's Concordance are accepted as authoritive, it shouldn't depend on who is using it.

Did not Paul write epistles to the churches???
Yes, but that is not what I said. I said he (Paul) preferred to be physically present over writing letters.
1 Thess. 3:10 - Paul wants to see the Thessalonians face to face and supply what is lacking. His letter is not enough.
2 Thess. 2:15 - the fullness of the Gospel is the apostolic tradition which includes either teaching by word of mouth or by letter. Scripture does not say "letter alone."
1 Tim. 3:14-15 - Paul prefers to speak and not write, and is writing only in the event that he is delayed and cannot be with Timothy.

Were the righteous deeds of Jesus not written down???
Yes, but not all of them. John 20:30; 21:25 - Jesus did many other things not written in the Scriptures. These have been preserved through the oral apostolic tradition and they are equally a part of the Deposit of Faith.

for what could you possibly pray, for one that is in heaven ??? tell us what you think they need????

They don't need anything, they are with Christ. That's why they make better intercessors than we do. You need to see an actual prayer to a saint, they are not horrifying like you have been taught.

The pope must be a very foolish man he has no authority to declare anyone a saint based on their sanctity of life... and what is the purpose of declaring one a saint if they already know they are a saint...

You are unaware of the long and complicated process. http://www.catholicapologetics.org/ap070400.htm

what of Rome ???it is not they alone who are called to be saints...
I was being sarcastic.

who said anything about excluded church???/

People who think the saints in heaven are deaf, dumb, and blind to our concerns. Some reward. It's not biblical and its not heaven. The Body of Christ includes those in heaven and those on earth. Those in heaven are not a separate body. We are ONE body in Christ. Those who refuse to understand intercession are left with creating 2 bodies of Christ. It's bad theology.

Intercession of the saints goes back to the very beginning of Christianity, but the doctrine and 7 books of the Bible was jettisoned by the reformers 1500 years later because it didn't fit their man made theories.

PRAYERS TO SAINTS:
St. Michael the Archangel
Holy Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do Thou, O Prince of the heavenly hosts, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl through the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.
Prayer to St. Joseph, the Protector of the Church

Father, you entrusted our Savior to the care of Saint Joseph.
By the help of his prayers may your Church continue to serve its Lord,
Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.
Amen.

ST. PEREGRINE

St. Peregrine, whom Holy Mother Church has declared Patron of those suffering from Cancer, I confidently turn to you for help in my present sickness. I beg your kind intercession. Ask God to relieve me of this sickness, if it be his Holy Will. Plead with the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Mother of Sorrows, whom you loved so tenderly and in union with whom you have suffered the pains of Cancer, that she may help me with her powerful prayers and loving consolation.
But if it should be God’s Holy Will that I bear this sickness, obtain for me courage and strength to accept these trails from the loving hand of God with patience and resignation, because he knows what is best for the salvation of my soul. St. Peregrine, be my friend and patron. Help me to imitate you in accepting suffering, and to unite myself with Jesus Crucified and the Mother of Sorrows, as you did. I offer my pains to God with all the love of my heart, for his glory and the salvation of souls, especially my own. Amen.

tom55

Love your neighbor as yourself
Sep 9, 2013
mjrhealth said:
Yes we have but one intercessor, you know, the Man Jesus,
So when we pray for each other we are not an intercessor?

newbirth

May 23, 2015
kepha31 said:
2 Chronicles 35:25

And Jeremiah lamented for Josiah: and all the singing men and the singing women spake of Josiah in their lamentations to this day, and made them an ordinance>

Just because pronouncements are written does not change the definition. Definitions from Strong's Concordance are accepted as authoritive, it shouldn't depend on who is using it.

Did not Paul write epistles to theough.

2 Thess. 2:15 - the fullness of the Gospel is the apostolic tradition which includes either teaching by word of mouth or by letter. Scripture does not say "letter alone."
1 Tim. 3:14-15 - Paul prefers to speak and not write, and is writing only in the event that he is delayed and cannot be with Timothy.
Yes, but not all of them. John 20:30; 21:25 - Jesus did many other things not written in the Scriptures. These have been preserved through the oral apostolic tradition and they are equally a part of the Deposit of Faith.

They don't need anything, they are with Christ. That's why they make better intercessors than we do. You need to see an actual prayer to a saint, they are not horrifying like you have been taught.

You are unaware of the long and complicated process. http://www.catholicapologetics.org/ap070400.htm

what of Rome ???it is not they alone who are called to be saints...
I was being sarcastic.

who said anything about excluded church???/

People who think the saints in heaven are deaf, dumb, and blind to our concerns. Some reward. It's not biblical and its not heaven. The Body of Christ includes those in heaven and those on earth. Those in heaven are not a separate body. We are ONE body in Christ. Those who refuse to understand intercession are left with creating 2 bodies of Christ. It's bad theology.

Intercession of the saints goes back to the very beginning of Christianity, but the doctrine and 7 books of the Bible was jettisoned by the reformers 1500 years later because it didn't fit their man made theories.

PRAYERS TO SAINTS:
St. Michael the Archangel
Holy Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do Thou, O Prince of the heavenly hosts, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl through the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.
Prayer to St. Joseph, the Protector of the Church

Father, you entrusted our Savior to the care of Saint Joseph.
By the help of his prayers may your Church continue to serve its Lord,
Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.
Amen.

ST. PEREGRINE

St. Peregrine, whom Holy Mother Church has declared Patron of those suffering from Cancer, I confidently turn to you for help in my present sickness. I beg your kind intercession. Ask God to relieve me of this sickness, if it be his Holy Will. Plead with the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Mother of Sorrows, whom you loved so tenderly and in union with whom you have suffered the pains of Cancer, that she may help me with her powerful prayers and loving consolation.
But if it should be God’s Holy Will that I bear this sickness, obtain for me courage and strength to accept these trails from the loving hand of God with patience and resignation, because he knows what is best for the salvation of my soul. St. Peregrine, be my friend and patron. Help me to imitate you in accepting suffering, and to unite myself with Jesus Crucified and the Mother of Sorrows, as you did. I offer my pains to God with all the love of my heart, for his glory and the salvation of souls, especially my own. Amen.
you are the one who said there are no written ordinances...and you are wrong...
Paul and the Apostles are all dead now.....we rely on the epistles they wrote as inspired scripture...you are the one who said it was dumb for Paul to hand deliver scriptures...you are wrong again...
The righteous deeds of Jesus were written down...you were the one who asked..How does one write a righteous deed...if you think a righteous deed cannot be written you are wrong...
I don't know what you were taught but why would you pray to a saint when you can pray to God himself....

Hebrews 4:16
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
what do you think the dead are doing????sleepwalking???
1 Thessalonians 4:14
For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

the dead intercedes for no one bro...that is not scripture..and where do you think the dead will rise from???

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
newbirth said:
you are the one who said there are no written ordinances...and you are wrong...
You are correct in finding the term "ordinances" in the OT. In that sense, then yes, I was wrong. Since the definition of an ordinance is, briefly, a pronouncement, scripture is silent on what those ordinances were, because they were "pronounced" orally. It refutes "Bible-alone" theology, unless you can find explicit descriptions of ordinances.
Paul and the Apostles are all dead now.....we rely on the epistles they wrote as inspired scripture...you are the one who said it was dumb for Paul to hand deliver scriptures...you are wrong again...
No, I said it was dumb for Paul to hand deliver scriptures when he preferred to be there in person, and I gave examples.
1 Thess. 3:10 - Paul wants to see the Thessalonians face to face and supply what is lacking. His letter is not enough.
Paul never delivered one single word of scripture personally.
The righteous deeds of Jesus were written down...you were the one who asked..How does one write a righteous deed...if you think a righteous deed cannot be written you are wrong...
That is not what I said. I said in response to this question:

Please use the quote feature, you keep taking me out of context.
I don't know what you were taught but why would you pray to a saint when you can pray to God himself....

We can and should pray to God himself. Catholics do it all the time. No one is obligated to pray to any saint. But it can only make sense to a person seeking to understand the communion of saints, not argue about it. You can't receive much of anything with your hands clenched in fists.
Hebrews 4:16
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

what do you think the dead are doing????sleepwalking???
What do you think they are doing? Floating on clouds and playing harps?

1 Thessalonians 4:14
For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

the dead intercedes for no one bro...that is not scripture..and where do you think the dead will rise from???

From their dead bodies.

Eph. 3:14-15- we are all one family ("Catholic") in heaven and on earth, united together, as children of the Father, through Jesus Christ. Our brothers and sisters who have gone to heaven before us are not a different family. We are one and the same family. This is why, in the Apostles Creed, we profess a belief in the "communion of saints." There cannot be a "communion" if there is no union. Loving beings, whether on earth or in heaven, are concerned for other beings, and this concern is reflected spiritually through prayers for one another.
Eph. 1:22-23; 5:23-32; Col. 1:18,24 - this family is in Jesus Christ, the head of the body, which is the Church.
1 Cor. 12:12,27; Rom. 12:5; Col. 3:15; Eph. 4:4 - we are the members of the one body of Christ, supernaturally linked together by our partaking of the Eucharist.

Rom. 8:35-39 - therefore, death does not separate the family of God and the love of Christ. We are still united with each other, even beyond death.
Matt. 17:3; Mark 9:4; Luke 9:30 - Jesus converses with "deceased" Moses and Elijah. They are more alive than the saints on earth.
Matt. 22:32; Mark 12:27; Luke 20:38 - God is the God of the living not the dead. The living on earth and in heaven are one family...

...1 Cor. 1:2; Rom. 1:7 - we are called to be saints. Saints refer to both those on earth and in heaven who are in Christ. Proof:

Acts 9:13,32,41; 26:10; 1 Cor. 6:1-2; 14:33; 2 Cor. 1:1; 8:4; 9:1-2; 13:13; Rom. 8:27; 12:23; 15:25,26, 31; 16:2,15; Eph. 1:1,15,18; 3:8; 5:3; 6:18; Phil. 1:1; 4:22; Col 1:2,4,26; 1 Tm 5:10; Philemon 1:5,7; Heb. 6:10; 13:24; Jude 1:3; Rev. 11:18; 13:7; 14:12; 16:6; 17:6;18:20,24; Rev 19:8; 20:9 - in these verses, we see that Christians still living on earth are called "saints."

Matt. 27:52; Eph. 2:19; 3:18; Col. 1:12; 2 Thess. 1:10; Rev. 5:8; 8:3-4; 11:18; 13:10 - in these verses, we also see that "saints" also refer to those in heaven who united with us.

Dan. 4:13,23; 8:23 – we also see that the angels in heaven are also called “saints.” The same Hebrew word “qaddiysh” (holy one) is applied to both humans and angels in heaven. Hence, there are angel saints in heaven and human saints in heaven and on earth. Loving beings (whether angels or saints) are concerned for other beings, and prayer is the spiritual way of expressing that love.

1 Tim 2:1-2 - because Jesus Christ is the one mediator between God and man (1 Tim. 2:5), many Protestants deny the Catholic belief that the saints on earth and in heaven can mediate on our behalf. But before Paul's teaching about Jesus as the "one mediator," Paul urges supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people. Paul is thus appealing for mediation from others besides Christ, the one mediator. Why?

1 Tim 2:3 - because this subordinate mediation is good and acceptable to God our Savior. Because God is our Father and we are His children, God invites us to participate in Christ's role as mediator.
1 Tim. 2:5 - therefore, although Jesus Christ is the sole mediator between God and man, there are many intercessors (subordinate mediators).

1 Cor. 3:9 - God invites us to participate in Christ's work because we are God's "fellow workers" and one family in the body of Christ. God wants His children to participate. The phrase used to describe "fellow workers" is "sunergoi," which literally means synergists, or cooperators with God in salvific matters. Does God need fellow workers? Of course not, but this shows how much He, as Father, loves His children. God wants us to work with Him.

Mark 16:20 - this is another example of how the Lord "worked with them" ("sunergountos"). God cooperates with us. Out of His eternal love, He invites our participation.
Rom. 8:28 - God "works for good with" (the Greek is "sunergei eis agathon") those who love Him. We work as subordinate mediators.

2 Cor. 6:1 - "working together" (the Greek is "sunergountes") with him, don't accept His grace in vain. God allows us to participate in His work, not because He needs our help, but because He loves us and wants to exalt us in His Son. It is like the father who lets his child join him in carrying the groceries in the house. The father does not need help, but he invites the child to assist to raise up the child in dignity and love.

Heb. 12:1 - the “cloud of witnesses” (nephos marturon) that we are surrounded by is a great amphitheatre of witnesses to the earthly race, and they actively participate and cheer us (the runners) on, in our race to salvation.

1 Tim 2:5-6 - it is because Jesus Christ is the one mediator before God that we can be subordinate mediators. Jesus is the reason. The Catholic position thus gives Jesus the most glory. He does it all but loves us so much He desires our participation.

Matt. 5:44-45 - Jesus tells us to pray for (to mediate on behalf of) those who persecute us. God instructs us to mediate.

Matt. 17:1-3; Mark 9:4; Luke 9:30-31 – deceased Moses and Elijah appear at the Transfiguration to converse with Jesus in the presence of Peter, James and John (these may be the two “witnesses” John refers to in Rev. 11:3). Nothing in Scripture ever suggests that God abhors or cuts off communication between the living in heaven and the living on earth. To the contrary, God encourages communication within the communion of saints. Moses and Elijah’s appearance on earth also teach us that the saints in heaven have capabilities that far surpass our limitations on earth.

***Matt. 26:53 – Jesus says He can call upon the assistance of twelve legions of angels. If Jesus said He could ask for the assistance of angel saints, then so can we, who are called to imitate Jesus in word and in deed. And, in Matt. 22:30, Jesus says we will be “like angels in heaven.” This means human saints (like the angel saints) can be called upon to assist people on earth. God allows and encourages this interaction between his family members.

Mark 11:24 - Jesus says that whatever we ask in prayer, we will receive it. It is Jesus, and also we through Jesus, who mediate.
John 2:3 - Jesus knew the wine was gone, but invites and responds to Mary's intercession. God desires our lesser mediation and responds to it because He is a living and loving God.

John 2:5 - Mary intercedes on behalf of those at the wedding feast and tells them to do whatever Jesus tells them. Because Mary is our perfect model of faith, we too intercede on behalf of our brothers and sisters.
John 2:11 - in fact, it was Mary's intercession that started Jesus' ministry. His hour had not yet come, yet Jesus responds to Mary's intercession. Even though He could do it all by Himself, God wants to work with His children.

Acts 12:7 – an angel strikes Peter on the side and wakes him up, freeing him from prison. The angel responds to Peter’s prayers.

Rom. 15:30 - Paul commands the family of God to pray for him. If we are united together in the one body of Christ, we can help each other.
2 Cor. 1:11 - Paul even suggests that the more prayers and the more people who pray, the merrier! Prayer is even more effective when united with other's prayers.

2 Cor. 9:14 - Paul says that the earthly saints pray for the Corinthians. They are subordinate mediators in Christ.
2 Cor. 13:7,9 - Paul says the elders pray that the Corinthians may do right and improve. They participate in Christ's mediation.
Gal. 6:2,10 - Paul charges us to bear one another's burdens, and to do good to all, especially those in the household of faith.
Eph. 6:18 - Paul commands the family of God to pray for each other.
Eph. 6:19 - Paul commands that the Ephesians pray for him. If there is only one mediator, why would Paul ask for their prayers?

Rev. 1:4 – this verse shows that angels (here, the seven spirits) give grace and peace. Because grace and peace only come from God, the angels are acting as mediators for God.
Rev. 5:8 - the prayers of the saints (on heaven and earth) are presented to God by the angels and saints in heaven. This shows that the saints intercede on our behalf before God, and it also demonstrates that our prayers on earth are united with their prayers in heaven. (The “24 elders” are said to refer to the people of God – perhaps the 12 tribes and 12 apostles - and the “four living creatures” are said to refer to the angels.)
Rev. 6:9-11 – the martyred saints in heaven cry out in a loud voice to God to avenge their blood “on those who dwell upon the earth.” These are “imprecatory prayers,” which are pleas for God’s judgment (see similar prayers in Psalm 35:1; 59:1-17; 139:19; Jer. 11:20; 15:15; 18:19; Zech.1:12-13). This means that the saints in heaven are praying for those on earth, and God answers their prayers (Rev. 8:1-5). We, therefore, ask for their intercession and protection.
Rev. 8:3-4 – in heaven an angel mingles incense with the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar before the throne of God, and the smoke of the incense rose with the prayers of the saints from the hand of the angel before God. These prayers “rise up” before God and elicit various kinds of earthly activity. God responds to his children’s requests, whether made by his children on earth or in heaven.

1 Sam. 28:7; 1 Chron. 10:13-14 - Saul practiced necromancy. He used a medium, not God, to seek the dead and was therefore condemned. Saul's practice is entirely at odds with the Catholic understanding of saintly mediation, where God is the source and channel of all communication, and who permits His children to participate in this power.

Your turn, newbirth. Provide a verse that explicitly forbids asking for help from God's people on earth or from God's people or angels in heaven.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here is a question for you, if God wont listen to you, what makes you think He will listen to someone else on your behalf. Why would you pray to Mary when you can go direct to Jesus, Whats wrong with Jesus, He listens to us alll..

Reactions: Born_Again

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
Here is a question for you, if God wont listen to you, what makes you think He will listen to someone else on your behalf. Why would you pray to Mary when you can go direct to Jesus, Whats wrong with Jesus, He listens to us alll..
Yea, I'm going to have to agree with this one. I never understood asking someone to put in a good word for me.

newbirth

May 23, 2015
kepha31 said:
From their dead bodies.

Eph. 3:14-15- we are all one family ("Catholic") in heaven and on earth, united together, as children of the Father, through Jesus Christ. Our brothers and sisters who have gone to heaven before us are not a different family. We are one and the same family. This is why, in the Apostles Creed, we profess a belief in the "communion of saints." There cannot be a "communion" if there is no union. Loving beings, whether on earth or in heaven, are concerned for other beings, and this concern is reflected spiritually through prayers for one another.
Eph. 1:22-23; 5:23-32; Col. 1:18,24 - this family is in Jesus Christ, the head of the body, which is the Church.
1 Cor. 12:12,27; Rom. 12:5; Col. 3:15; Eph. 4:4 - we are the members of the one body of Christ, supernaturally linked together by our partaking of the Eucharist.

Rom. 8:35-39 - therefore, death does not separate the family of God and the love of Christ. We are still united with each other, even beyond death.
Matt. 17:3; Mark 9:4; Luke 9:30 - Jesus converses with "deceased" Moses and Elijah. They are more alive than the saints on earth.
Matt. 22:32; Mark 12:27; Luke 20:38 - God is the God of the living not the dead. The living on earth and in heaven are one family...

...1 Cor. 1:2; Rom. 1:7 - we are called to be saints. Saints refer to both those on earth and in heaven who are in Christ. Proof:

Acts 9:13,32,41; 26:10; 1 Cor. 6:1-2; 14:33; 2 Cor. 1:1; 8:4; 9:1-2; 13:13; Rom. 8:27; 12:23; 15:25,26, 31; 16:2,15; Eph. 1:1,15,18; 3:8; 5:3; 6:18; Phil. 1:1; 4:22; Col 1:2,4,26; 1 Tm 5:10; Philemon 1:5,7; Heb. 6:10; 13:24; Jude 1:3; Rev. 11:18; 13:7; 14:12; 16:6; 17:6;18:20,24; Rev 19:8; 20:9 - in these verses, we see that Christians still living on earth are called "saints."

Matt. 27:52; Eph. 2:19; 3:18; Col. 1:12; 2 Thess. 1:10; Rev. 5:8; 8:3-4; 11:18; 13:10 - in these verses, we also see that "saints" also refer to those in heaven who united with us.

Dan. 4:13,23; 8:23 – we also see that the angels in heaven are also called “saints.” The same Hebrew word “qaddiysh” (holy one) is applied to both humans and angels in heaven. Hence, there are angel saints in heaven and human saints in heaven and on earth. Loving beings (whether angels or saints) are concerned for other beings, and prayer is the spiritual way of expressing that love.

1 Tim 2:1-2 - because Jesus Christ is the one mediator between God and man (1 Tim. 2:5), many Protestants deny the Catholic belief that the saints on earth and in heaven can mediate on our behalf. But before Paul's teaching about Jesus as the "one mediator," Paul urges supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people. Paul is thus appealing for mediation from others besides Christ, the one mediator. Why?

1 Tim 2:3 - because this subordinate mediation is good and acceptable to God our Savior. Because God is our Father and we are His children, God invites us to participate in Christ's role as mediator.
1 Tim. 2:5 - therefore, although Jesus Christ is the sole mediator between God and man, there are many intercessors (subordinate mediators).

1 Cor. 3:9 - God invites us to participate in Christ's work because we are God's "fellow workers" and one family in the body of Christ. God wants His children to participate. The phrase used to describe "fellow workers" is "sunergoi," which literally means synergists, or cooperators with God in salvific matters. Does God need fellow workers? Of course not, but this shows how much He, as Father, loves His children. God wants us to work with Him.

Mark 16:20 - this is another example of how the Lord "worked with them" ("sunergountos"). God cooperates with us. Out of His eternal love, He invites our participation.
Rom. 8:28 - God "works for good with" (the Greek is "sunergei eis agathon") those who love Him. We work as subordinate mediators.

2 Cor. 6:1 - "working together" (the Greek is "sunergountes") with him, don't accept His grace in vain. God allows us to participate in His work, not because He needs our help, but because He loves us and wants to exalt us in His Son. It is like the father who lets his child join him in carrying the groceries in the house. The father does not need help, but he invites the child to assist to raise up the child in dignity and love.

Heb. 12:1 - the “cloud of witnesses” (nephos marturon) that we are surrounded by is a great amphitheatre of witnesses to the earthly race, and they actively participate and cheer us (the runners) on, in our race to salvation.

1 Tim 2:5-6 - it is because Jesus Christ is the one mediator before God that we can be subordinate mediators. Jesus is the reason. The Catholic position thus gives Jesus the most glory. He does it all but loves us so much He desires our participation.

Matt. 5:44-45 - Jesus tells us to pray for (to mediate on behalf of) those who persecute us. God instructs us to mediate.

Matt. 17:1-3; Mark 9:4; Luke 9:30-31 – deceased Moses and Elijah appear at the Transfiguration to converse with Jesus in the presence of Peter, James and John (these may be the two “witnesses” John refers to in Rev. 11:3). Nothing in Scripture ever suggests that God abhors or cuts off communication between the living in heaven and the living on earth. To the contrary, God encourages communication within the communion of saints. Moses and Elijah’s appearance on earth also teach us that the saints in heaven have capabilities that far surpass our limitations on earth.

***Matt. 26:53 – Jesus says He can call upon the assistance of twelve legions of angels. If Jesus said He could ask for the assistance of angel saints, then so can we, who are called to imitate Jesus in word and in deed. And, in Matt. 22:30, Jesus says we will be “like angels in heaven.” This means human saints (like the angel saints) can be called upon to assist people on earth. God allows and encourages this interaction between his family members.

Mark 11:24 - Jesus says that whatever we ask in prayer, we will receive it. It is Jesus, and also we through Jesus, who mediate.
John 2:3 - Jesus knew the wine was gone, but invites and responds to Mary's intercession. God desires our lesser mediation and responds to it because He is a living and loving God.

John 2:5 - Mary intercedes on behalf of those at the wedding feast and tells them to do whatever Jesus tells them. Because Mary is our perfect model of faith, we too intercede on behalf of our brothers and sisters.
John 2:11 - in fact, it was Mary's intercession that started Jesus' ministry. His hour had not yet come, yet Jesus responds to Mary's intercession. Even though He could do it all by Himself, God wants to work with His children.

Acts 12:7 – an angel strikes Peter on the side and wakes him up, freeing him from prison. The angel responds to Peter’s prayers.

Rom. 15:30 - Paul commands the family of God to pray for him. If we are united together in the one body of Christ, we can help each other.
2 Cor. 1:11 - Paul even suggests that the more prayers and the more people who pray, the merrier! Prayer is even more effective when united with other's prayers.

2 Cor. 9:14 - Paul says that the earthly saints pray for the Corinthians. They are subordinate mediators in Christ.
2 Cor. 13:7,9 - Paul says the elders pray that the Corinthians may do right and improve. They participate in Christ's mediation.
Gal. 6:2,10 - Paul charges us to bear one another's burdens, and to do good to all, especially those in the household of faith.
Eph. 6:18 - Paul commands the family of God to pray for each other.
Eph. 6:19 - Paul commands that the Ephesians pray for him. If there is only one mediator, why would Paul ask for their prayers?

Rev. 1:4 – this verse shows that angels (here, the seven spirits) give grace and peace. Because grace and peace only come from God, the angels are acting as mediators for God.
Rev. 5:8 - the prayers of the saints (on heaven and earth) are presented to God by the angels and saints in heaven. This shows that the saints intercede on our behalf before God, and it also demonstrates that our prayers on earth are united with their prayers in heaven. (The “24 elders” are said to refer to the people of God – perhaps the 12 tribes and 12 apostles - and the “four living creatures” are said to refer to the angels.)
Rev. 6:9-11 – the martyred saints in heaven cry out in a loud voice to God to avenge their blood “on those who dwell upon the earth.” These are “imprecatory prayers,” which are pleas for God’s judgment (see similar prayers in Psalm 35:1; 59:1-17; 139:19; Jer. 11:20; 15:15; 18:19; Zech.1:12-13). This means that the saints in heaven are praying for those on earth, and God answers their prayers (Rev. 8:1-5). We, therefore, ask for their intercession and protection.
Rev. 8:3-4 – in heaven an angel mingles incense with the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar before the throne of God, and the smoke of the incense rose with the prayers of the saints from the hand of the angel before God. These prayers “rise up” before God and elicit various kinds of earthly activity. God responds to his children’s requests, whether made by his children on earth or in heaven.

1 Sam. 28:7; 1 Chron. 10:13-14 - Saul practiced necromancy. He used a medium, not God, to seek the dead and was therefore condemned. Saul's practice is entirely at odds with the Catholic understanding of saintly mediation, where God is the source and channel of all communication, and who permits His children to participate in this power.

Your turn, newbirth. Provide a verse that explicitly forbids asking for help from God's people on earth or from God's people or angels in heaven.
BRO it would seem you would go to any lengths to prove your false teaching...but it will not work...the question is...

Did Christ instruct His Apostles to pray to His earthly mother?
you have not provided a verse saying such....God is not forbidding anyone from doing anything...man is always doing the wrong things....God is encouraging us to do the right thing...if you need help.....
16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
kepha31 said:
Most of the Inquisition you have heard or read about is myth. I trust the analysis of a professor of history who specializes in the medieval era, not public opinion that has been hammered with revisionism and protty cult propaganda.
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/211193/real-inquisition-thomas-f-madden

No, I would protect you. You disagree with what you see on the surface, it's not disagreement I have a problem with; I am not going to rebut your list here. But you don't promote lies, and I don't see any anti-Catholic bigotry in your posts. For what it's worth, you are one of my favorites. :wub:
Kepha, given that so many here, "protties" all, have accused me of being "different" as if that is a bad thing, I do treasure being one of your favorites.
And, just so that you know this, you are also one of mine.

And it is very good to know that you would protect me. In the unlikely event that the Inquisitions should ever return, I will hold you to that! :wub:

If you ever need protection from some "prottie cult", I'm your gal.

newbirth

May 23, 2015
The Barrd said:
Kepha, given that so many here, "protties" all, have accused me of being "different" as if that is a bad thing, I do treasure being one of your favorites.
And, just so that you know this, you are also one of mine.

And it is very good to know that you would protect me. In the unlikely event that the Inquisitions should ever return, I will hold you to that! :wub:

If you ever need protection from some "prottie cult", I'm your gal.
Psalm 118:8
It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
This question was asked of mjrhealth but no answer was given:
tom55 said:
I think I have answered all your questions, can you, mjrhealth, please answer mine?

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
The Barrd said:
In one sense, you are right.
However, we do not accept everything the RCC teaches.
We have (basically) accepted the bible they canonized.

And I do not accept the notion that a pastor or priest, or preacher, or whatever one wishes to call them must remain single
I went to catholicanswers.com and they say they have priest that are married. More research by me revealed they do have some here in America.

....or even be male.
Now you put me in a tough situation here. :wacko: Should I believe The Barrd or scripture? I choose scripture, which is very clear on this!! (that means I disagree with you)

I do not see Peter ever wearing that ridiculous get up that the pope sports, or wearing that ring, or letting anyone else kneel to him and kiss his hands, or living in such opulence while others go without basic necessities.
I think all of us here in America live in "opulence while others go without basic necessities" when you compare what we have to most of the world. I am as guilty as the Catholic Church so I am not going to throw that stone.

I understand your rationale behind your statuary, I just don't agree with it, especially such things as statues that weep or statues that bleed.
I have gone to the previously mentioned website and it says (paraphrasing here) it is not a requirement to believe in the validity of weeping or bleeding statues to be Catholic. However, if science can't explain it then there has got to be something to it, in my opinion.

I do not believe that Mary remained a virgin throughout her life, rather, she and her husband enjoyed a normal married relationship and had other children.
There is no evidence of Mary having other children. I have researched this to the bone and it just can't be proven. This silly belief didn't become mainstream until after the reformation.

I do not believe that Mary has ever appeared to anyone, or that she has done any miracles.
No one can do miracles except God. If you (The Barrd) pray for someone and they are miraculously healed, you didn't perform the miracle, God did. Just like if Mary prays for something and it happens, God did it, not her. From what I have read the Catholic Church does not teach that Mary can perform miracles. I think the strongest evidence of a miracle performed at the request of Mary was in Fatima. I still haven't been able to explain that one. There are a lot (most) of Marian apparitions I question but Fatima is a tough one for me to ignore/explain when I look at the evidence.

If she could do miracles, why did she need Jesus to provide wine for the wedding at Cana?
If you read that entire passage about changing water into wine you may notice that Jesus told Mary that his time hadn't come yet. She basically told him to shut up and do what I say. :eek: All kidding aside....even Jesus didn't know it was time for him to reveal his divinity but Mary did. How could Jesus not have known it was his time to reveal his divinity to the world but Mary did?

And I do not believe the Inquisitions were "necessary", although I do agree that the Crusade against the Muslims who overran the Holy Land was.
Given the things I said above, I'm fairly sure that, if the Inquisitions were happening today, I'd be in a world of trouble.
With the way things are going in the Middle East, it's getting close to the time for another Crusade!! :ph34r: The Catholic Church has apologized for their inquisitions. I just learned about 3 months ago that the Protestants had their own inquisitions but not on such a large of scale as the Catholic one. I realize me pointing to bad behavior doesn't excuse bad behavior but you seem to suggest it was only a Catholic thing. History shows us it wasn't.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
tom55 said:
I think I have answered all your questions, can you, mjrhealth, please answer mine?
Yes, what has that to do with praying to dead people. You know we are all saints, all those aho are in christ, not because of any miracles we could do or anything we have done, but because of Jesus, and we aint dead yet.

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
You, mjrhealth, said: Yes we have but one intercessor, you know, the Man Jesus,

YOU are saying we have but one intercessor. I am saying if I pray for you or you pray for me are we not interceding for each other? Therefore we DON'T have but one intercessor. Anyone that prays for us is interceding.

Praying to dead people? No one prays to dead people. Your soul is alive and the people who died here on earth their soul is alive in heaven, with God. Who can better intercede for us than a soul that is in heaven with God?

If I can intercede for you with prayers while here on earth, shouldn't a soul IN HEAVEN be able to intercede for me? Isn't Mary in heaven?

newbirth

May 23, 2015
tom55 said:

YOU are saying we have but one intercessor. I am saying if I pray for you or you pray for me are we not interceding for each other? Therefore we DON'T have but one intercessor. Anyone that prays for us is interceding.

Praying to dead people? No one prays to dead people. Your soul is alive and the people who died here on earth their soul is alive in heaven, with God. Who can better intercede for us than a soul that is in heaven with God?

If I can intercede for you with prayers while here on earth, shouldn't a soul IN HEAVEN be able to intercede for me? Isn't Mary in heaven?
is the resurrection past.???..as far as we know only Christ is resurrected and gone into heaven...in ignorance you teach false doctrine....
John 6:39
And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

John 6:40
And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:44
No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 6:54
Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

newbirth

May 23, 2015
tom55 said:
In one sense, you are right.
However, we do not accept everything the RCC teaches.
We have (basically) accepted the bible they canonized.

And I do not accept the notion that a pastor or priest, or preacher, or whatever one wishes to call them must remain single
I went to catholicanswers.com and they say they have priest that are married. More research by me revealed they do have some here in America.

....or even be male.
Now you put me in a tough situation here. :wacko: Should I believe The Barrd or scripture? I choose scripture, which is very clear on this!! (that means I disagree with you)

I do not see Peter ever wearing that ridiculous get up that the pope sports, or wearing that ring, or letting anyone else kneel to him and kiss his hands, or living in such opulence while others go without basic necessities.
I think all of us here in America live in "opulence while others go without basic necessities" when you compare what we have to most of the world. I am as guilty as the Catholic Church so I am not going to throw that stone.

I understand your rationale behind your statuary, I just don't agree with it, especially such things as statues that weep or statues that bleed.
I have gone to the previously mentioned website and it says (paraphrasing here) it is not a requirement to believe in the validity of weeping or bleeding statues to be Catholic. However, if science can't explain it then there has got to be something to it, in my opinion.

I do not believe that Mary remained a virgin throughout her life, rather, she and her husband enjoyed a normal married relationship and had other children.
There is no evidence of Mary having other children. I have researched this to the bone and it just can't be proven. This silly belief didn't become mainstream until after the reformation.

I do not believe that Mary has ever appeared to anyone, or that she has done any miracles.
No one can do miracles except God. If you (The Barrd) pray for someone and they are miraculously healed, you didn't perform the miracle, God did. Just like if Mary prays for something and it happens, God did it, not her. From what I have read the Catholic Church does not teach that Mary can perform miracles. I think the strongest evidence of a miracle performed at the request of Mary was in Fatima. I still haven't been able to explain that one. There are a lot (most) of Marian apparitions I question but Fatima is a tough one for me to ignore/explain when I look at the evidence.

If she could do miracles, why did she need Jesus to provide wine for the wedding at Cana?
If you read that entire passage about changing water into wine you may notice that Jesus told Mary that his time hadn't come yet. She basically told him to shut up and do what I say. :eek: All kidding aside....even Jesus didn't know it was time for him to reveal his divinity but Mary did. How could Jesus not have known it was his time to reveal his divinity to the world but Mary did?

And I do not believe the Inquisitions were "necessary", although I do agree that the Crusade against the Muslims who overran the Holy Land was.
Given the things I said above, I'm fairly sure that, if the Inquisitions were happening today, I'd be in a world of trouble.
With the way things are going in the Middle East, it's getting close to the time for another Crusade!! :ph34r: The Catholic Church has apologized for their inquisitions. I just learned about 3 months ago that the Protestants had their own inquisitions but not on such a large of scale as the Catholic one. I realize me pointing to bad behavior doesn't excuse bad behavior but you seem to suggest it was only a Catholic thing. History shows us it wasn't.
1) we accept the word of God
2)proof that the catholic preached false doctrine
3)God does require males to be priests
4)seems like America is following the pope....not Christ
5)Simply because science cannot explain something does not mean it is God
6)Mark 6:3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.
Galatians 1:19
But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.
7)Mary is not risen ...Hindus have bleeding statues ...
8)with one side of your mouth you say it is time for another slaughter of human life in the middle east...with the other you say the RCC has apologised for the previous slaughter...protestants are the children of the RCC

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

What can Mary do that Christ cant do, Jesus is the one that intercedes with God on our behalf. You have direct access to Jesus, why would you go to Mary, she is no more special that you or me.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't really want to defend the Catholic point of view on this topic, but I'm afraid tom55 is right on one tiny detail. 1 Tim 2:1 says prayers and intercessions should be made for all men. So yes, we can intercede for others.

I do highly doubt Paul meant to ask saints who've passed to do it for us though. It reads more like we should pray and intercede for and by those still on earth.

Another thing I don't understand is why mary? Hear me out... IF it is true that we can ask the saints who've passed to pray for us, why not Paul? Or Peter, who has the keys to heaven? How about Simon the zealot? He doesn't get much mention, perhaps he has more free time on his hands...

And hey... why not Timothy himself since he was the one Paul told to make intercession for all men?

There's just something about Mary!

newbirth

May 23, 2015
FHII said:
Don't really want to defend the Catholic point of view on this topic, but I'm afraid newbirth is right on one tiny detail. 1 Tim 2:1 says prayers and intercessions should be made for all men. So yes, we can intercede for others.

I do highly doubt Paul meant to ask saints who've passed to do it for us though. It reads more like we should pray and intercede for and by those still on earth.

Another thing I don't understand is why mary? Hear me out... IF it is true that we can ask the saints who've passed to pray for us, why not Paul? Or Peter, who has the keys to heaven? How about Simon the zealot? He doesn't get much mention, perhaps he has more free time on his hands...

And hey... why not Timothy himself since he was the one Paul told to make intercession for all men?

There's just something about Mary!
it is just contrary doctrine...and not of God...there is no scriptural evidence stating that Jesus instructs anyone to pray to Mary

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
newbirth said:
is the resurrection past.???..as far as we know only Christ is resurrected and gone into heaven...in ignorance you teach false doctrine....
John 6:39
And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

John 6:40
And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:44
No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 6:54
Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
How did we go from Jesus being the only intercessor in prayer to quote's from scripture about the resurrection?