Did Christ instruct His Apostles to pray to His earthly mother?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tom55

Love your neighbor as yourself
Sep 9, 2013
FHII said:
Don't really want to defend the Catholic point of view on this topic, but I'm afraid tom55 is right on one tiny detail. 1 Tim 2:1 says prayers and intercessions should be made for all men. So yes, we can intercede for others.
We are not defending the Catholic point of view. We are defending the truth of scripture which is what we are supposed to do as Christians.

I do highly doubt Paul meant to ask saints who've passed to do it for us though. It reads more like we should pray and intercede for and by those still on earth. And hey... why not Timothy himself since he was the one Paul told to make intercession for all men? Why not Paul, or Peter or Timothy? Are they not in heaven?

Just looking at that one verse you are correct. If you go to Revelations it talks about the prayers of the saints that go to God via incense. I assume saints are people who have died and their souls are in heaven (not a saint on earth like Tom55 :huh: ). It seems logical that the prayers the saints are sending to heaven are the prayers of humans on earth. So it seems that saints do hear our prayers and take them to God? I think Mary, Paul and Timothy would be "saints"!!

Another thing I don't understand is why mary? Hear me out... IF it is true that we can ask the saints who've passed to pray for us, why not Paul? Or Peter, who has the keys to heaven? How about Simon the zealot? He doesn't get much mention, perhaps he has more free time on his hands...
Why Mary?? I want to make sure we are talking about the same Mary. The mother of God? The one person who when God looked down upon this earth he picked to bear his Son? The "highly favored one"? Who is blessed among women and the fruit of her womb is blessed also? (equating Mary to Jesus in some respect?) All generations will call Her blessed? The one half of Jesus that made him human? The person who raised him to be a man? That Mary??

God obviously held her in high regard and favored her. Jesus and scripture obviously hold her in high regard! I don't think it would be fair to say that after she gave birth to Jesus, God said to her: "Thank you for your service Mary, I am done with you. You are now just an average person and when you die you will be an average soul in heaven. Get in line like everyone else!! You are no better than Tom55 or FHII". She was important to God. She was important to Jesus. Without Mary there would be no Jesus and no bible for us to debate over. She is important to the history of the world and she should be important to us. So if saints can hear our prayers and take them to God I think Mary can also. If you as a human (with a soul) can pray to God for me why can't a dead human (a soul in heaven basking in the glory of God) pray for a man on earth? The body is dead but the soul lives on. It is not my human body here on earth that prays for you. It is my God given soul that prays for you. That soul lives on in heaven after the body has died.

There's just something about Mary!
I laughed out loud on that one. I assume you were talking about the movie? If so, Very witty, I like it!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I suppose it is a bit like the naughty child who wants something but dad wont give it to them so they go to mum, if mum wont do it we will go to uncle bob, till we get what we want. We are al lsaints, living saints all thos who have being sanctified by His blood. We talk to Jesus because He is fairhfull to hear and faithfull to do His fathers will, if we dont trsut Him than ewe go else where, how much closer can you get to God than Jesus if you need something.

In all His Love