Did Christians invent the Trinity-2

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
II. Rabbinical Citations. The most ancient scribes and rabbis taught the Trinity; these generally predate 200 C. E.. The less ancient rabbis, those generally associated with post-Christian compilation of Talmud (ending 400 C. E. for the Palestinian, 500 C. E. for Babylonian) and Midrashim (from 200 C.E. to 900 C. E.) are unitarian. The shift, in my opinion, is based on factors including the following: the abandonment of the normative hermeneutic or grammatico-historical method in interpreting Scripture in favor of the allegorical method governed by Oral Tradition, and the debates with the Church; i.e., the abandonment of Scriptura Sola coupled with the desire to defend the Pharasaic tradition.

A. The Targumim. These are the translations of the Hebrew Scriptures into Chaldee (or Aramaic or Syriac), and these, when compared with the Hebrew, give us crystal clear indication of what many ancient rabbis taught concerning the doctrine of the Trinity. Especially clear is their perception of the Word of Jehovah called The Memra of Jehovah as a distinctive Person of Deity Who personally articulates and manifests the Father to His People. They understood this Person to be the same as Angel Jehovah. The weight of historical evidence clearly places these works prior to the "Christian" era; this proves that ancient rabbis understood the Trinity on the basis of the Hebrew Scriptures, thus verifying what has See [J. W. Etheridge, The Targums of Onkelos and Jonathan ben Uzziel ...; A. Edersheim, Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah, Appendices II, IX]. Frequently in the following references, the Hebrew reading is converted to the Chaldee reading by replacing Jehovah by Word of Jehovah, and in such a way as to teach the personal Deity of the Word; and any passage teaching the Deity of the Memra of Jehovah teaches that the Memra is a Person of Deity distinct from the Person denominated Jehovah the proof of this assertion is analogous to that given in the introduction in I.C. above. Finally, Memra is the Chaldee equivalent of the Greek Logos.

(1) Targum of Onkelos. In over 79 undisputed passages in the Penteteuch alone (!), Memra of Jehovah is used of Deity and hence a Person in the Godhead distinct from another Person called Jehovah. We give a few representative passages. These must be compared with the Hebrew text.

Gen 3:8,10. And they heard the voice of the Memra of Jehovah Elohim walking in the garden ... The voice of Thy Memra heard I in the garden, and I was afraid.

Gen 6:6-7.And it repented Jehovah in His Memra that He had made man upon the earth. And He said in His Memra that He would break their strength according to His pleasure.

Gen 15:6. And he believed in the Memra of Jehovah, and He reckoned it to him unto justification.

Gen 17:2,7,10. And I will set a covenant between My Memra and thee, ... And I will establish My covenant between My Memra and thee, and thy sons ... This is My covenant which you shall keep between My Memra and you ... And you shall circumcise ... for the sign of the covenant between My Memra and you.

Gen 28:20-1. And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If the Memra of Jehovah will be my help, and will keep me in that way in which I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to wear, and bring me in peace to my father's house, the Memra of Jehovah shall be my God.

Gen 31:49-50. ... The Memra of Jehovah will observe between me and thee ... see the Memra of Jehovah is witness between me and thee.

Ex 3:12. Because My Memra shall be thy helper ...

Lev 20:23. ... and My Memra hath abhored them.

Num 14:9. Only be not rebellious against the Memra of Jehovah, ... and the Memra of Jehovah is our helper.

Deut 33:27. The habitation of Eloha is from eternity, and the world was made by His Memra; ...

(2) Targum of Palestine / "Jonathan ben Uzziel". In over 212 undisputed passages in the Penteteuch alone (!), Memra of Jehovah is used of Deity and hence a Person in the Godhead distinct from another Person called Jehovah. We give a few representative passages. These must be compared with the Hebrew text.

Gen 2:8. And a garden from the Eden of the just was planted by the Memra of Jehovah Elohim ...

Gen 4:26 5:2 That was the generation in whose days they began to err, and to make themselves idols, and surnamed their idols by the Name of the Memra of Jehovah. Male and female created He them, and blessed them in the Name of His Memra, ...

Gen 22:16. By My Memra have I sworn ...

Ex 33:16-21. ... and by Thy speaking by the Holy Spirit to me and to Thy people. that we may be distinguished from all the peoples on the face of the earth? And Jehovah said to Mosheh, This thing will ... I also do ... And he said, Show now unto me Thy glory: but He said, Behold, I will make all the measure of My goodness pass before thee, and I will give utterance in the Name of the Memra of Jehovah before thee; and I will have compassion And He said, Thou canst not see the visage of My face; for no one can see Me and abide alive. And Jehovah said, Behold a place is prepared before Me, and thou shalt stand upon the rock. And it shall be that when the glory of My Shekhinah passeth before thee, I will put thee in the cavern of the rock, and will overshadow thee with My Memra until I have passed by.

Ex 34:5. And Jehovah revealed Himself in the cloud of the glory of His Shekhinah, and Mosheh stood with Him there; and Mosheh called upon the Name of the Memra of Jehovah.

Lev 1:1. ... and the Memra of Jehovah spake with him from the tabernacle of ordinance

Num 23:20. Behold, from the mouth of the Holy Memra I have received this benediction.

Deut 1:10. The Memra of Jehovah our Elohim hath multiplied you; and behold ...

(3) Jerusalem Targum. In over 70 undisputed passages in the Penteteuch alone (!), Memra of Jehovah is used of Deity and hence a Person in the Godhead distinct from another Person called Jehovah. We give a few representative passages. These must be compared with the Hebrew text.

Gen. 1:27. And the Memra of Jehovah created man in His likeness, ...

Gen. 16:13. And Hagar gave thanks, and prayed in the Name of the Memra of Jehovah Who had been manifested to her, saying, Blessed be Thou, Eloha, the Living One of all Ages, Who has looked upon affliction.

Ex 3:14 And the Memra of Jehovah said to Mosheh, He Who spake to the world, Be, and it was; and Who will speak to it, Be, and it will be. And He said, Thus shalt thou speak to the sons Israel EHEYEB [I will be] hath sent me unto you.

Comment. Many examples are common to the various Targumim. This proves that the doctrine of the Trinity was commonly believed amongst the Jews before the time of Christ. I cannot overemphasize the abundance of all the pertinent examples.

B. LXX (Septuagint). This is the translation by the seventy-two rabbis in Alexandria of the Hebrew Scriptures and Apocrypha into Greek; this work was carried from approximately 250 B.C.E. to 100 B.C.E. Here the word for the Second Person used by these rabbis is Logos (just as in the N. T.).

Book of Wisdom 18:14-6. For while all things were in quiet silence, and that night [of the first Passover] was in the midst of her swift course, Thine Almighty Logos leaped from heaven out of Thy Royal Throne, as a fierce Man of War into a land of destruction, and brought Thine unfeigned commandment as a sharp sword, and standing up filled all things with death,

C. Philo of Judaeus Alexandria. Born circa 25 B.C.E. and died circa 50 C.E., this Hellenistic Jewish rabbi took the concept of the Logos from Platonic philosophy, and refashioned it along the lines of the traditional Jewish understanding. Philo's concept of the Logos may be viewed then as another indication of the Trinitarian views of the most ancient rabbis. We give a sampling of descriptions from Philo. (See [J. W. Etheridge, op. cit., Volume I, 20-23] for full quotes; see also [H. A. Wolfson, Philo, Volume I, 200-94] for a thorough discussion, apparently written on the assumption that the most ancient Judaism was unitarian, which runs counter to Etheridge's views. After looking at many Philonic scholars who would disagree with Etheridge, it is my view their documentation is more easily explained by Etheridge's thesis especially scrutinize [Wolfson, op. cit., 291, lines 8-25] which makes Philo very self-contradictory unless a Personal distinction within the Divine Essence be assumed (and this is only one of many incongruities I found).)

(1) Philo describes the Logos in the following terms: "the Eternal Logos of the Everlasting God is the strongest and steadfast support of the universe", "Image of God", "Creator", man is "His copied image", "His [God's] Angel" who sits over the Cherubim, "the Father begat Him [Logos], "His [God's] First-Begotten Son", "Second God", "advocate the Son" for the high priest before the Father, "holds and directs the universe", "Mediator" Who "should determine between the creature and Creator", "receives the charge of the sacred flock", we should "regard the Image of God, Who is His Angel, the Logos, as God Himself" and "pledge our faith by the Begotten [Logos] and ... invoke the Divine Logos to witness", etc., etc., etc.

The Doctrine of the Trinity in the Hebrew Scriptures and Ancient Rabbis

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God 'invented' the Trinity as we call it today but he didn't call it that because it is just who he is - our One God with three persons. Just as all of have three parts to us.

But why do we need yet another thread on this subject?

Reactions: RLT63 and Nancy

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Johann, and how are you all? Good question in OP, 1 John Five:7--Deliberate Hoax? Or Inspired Scripture?

How did this verse get into the bible? Was it originally inspired by scripture? Or was it inserted by a meddler in the middle ages? Would allow a mere man to tamper with His inspired Word? What does the evidence show?

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Concerning Christ Being The Son Of God | Christian Forums @ Christianity Board

Love, Walter

Last edited:
Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Johann, and how are you all? Good question in OP, 1 John Five:7--Deliberate Hoax? Or Inspired Scripture?

How did this verse get into the bible? Was it originally inspired by scripture? Or was it inserted by a meddler in the middle ages? Would allow a mere man to tamper with His inspired Word? What does the evidence show?

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Love, Walter
How fitting that this verse is called
The Johannine Comma
The Johannine Comma
I don't always agree with modern textual criticism but there is a strong case for omitting this phrase.

Reactions: Matthias

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IMU, having read the word of God multiple times and studied it under the teacher, the Holy Spirit of God, this is my conclusion............that God cannot lie and his word is TRUTH.

Now it is up to every individual to lean NOT on our own understanding but to trust and believe God at his word......all his word is TRUTH !

We can debate , discuss, differ, and disagree but it changes NOTHING. It also does NOT impact the plan of salvation for in that we must only believe Jesus as God's Son came in the flesh, born of a virgin, lived as God among humanity, then chose to sacrifice himself for all the sins of the world bc of Gods love for us.

Jesus plainly said " I and the Father are ONE", NOT TWO BUT ONE. The Spirit is God's Spirit NOT; of humanity as we are but divine in nature. He ONLY reveals what he has seen and heard in heaven. We can ONLY testify to what we have witnessed; NOW I know there are those who repeat gossip, slander and lies with abandon not knowing nor caring if it's true.

There are NOT 3 GODS in heaven; there is ONE GOD !
HE IS THE FATHER, THE SON AND THE HOLY GHOST. !

All parts of himself and his character.

Do any of us display our character on here as anything but a believer?
Yet you are more !

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IMU, having read the word of God multiple times and studied it under the teacher, the Holy Spirit of God, this is my conclusion............that God cannot lie and his word is TRUTH.

Now it is up to every individual to lean NOT on our own understanding but to trust and believe God at his word......all his word is TRUTH !

We can debate , discuss, differ, and disagree but it changes NOTHING. It also does NOT impact the plan of salvation for in that we must only believe Jesus as God's Son came in the flesh, born of a virgin, lived as God among humanity, then chose to sacrifice himself for all the sins of the world bc of Gods love for us.

Jesus plainly said " I and the Father are ONE", NOT TWO BUT ONE. The Spirit is God's Spirit NOT; of humanity as we are but divine in nature. He ONLY reveals what he has seen and heard in heaven. We can ONLY testify to what we have witnessed; NOW I know there are those who repeat gossip, slander and lies with abandon not knowing nor caring if it's true.

There are NOT 3 GODS in heaven; there is ONE GOD !
HE IS THE FATHER, THE SON AND THE HOLY GHOST. !

All parts of himself and his character.

Do any of us display our character on here as anything but a believer?
Yet you are more !

Hello LaWhana, Great post, until we come to this, we must hear and DO His commandments.

BIBLE VERSES ABOUT RIGHT HAND OF GOD (kingjamesbibleonline.org)

Love, Walter

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Admins have already answered this, and their stance on it, no use in discussing these types of topics.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello LaWhana, Great post, until we come to this, we must hear and DO His commandments.

BIBLE VERSES ABOUT RIGHT HAND OF GOD (kingjamesbibleonline.org)

Love, Walter

Thank you,Walter.

I totally agree that we MUST HEAR AND DO HIS COMMANDMENTS; NOT THOSE OF THE LAW GIVEN TO MOSES FOR THE DISOBEDIENT CHILDREN OF ISRAEL BUT THOSE GIVEN BY GOD OF GRACE, BY THE SHED BLOOD OF JESUS, OUR REDEEMER.

This issue of Gods personality and character has been made complicated, distorted, and way to involved. Does this issue involve God's plan of salvation or our belief of Jesus' work ?

There are mysteries of God, should these cause division and confusion and dessention of those who believe in him ?

The lake of fire is real, those choosing to go there through disbelief of the TRUTH or that cling to what man says pains my heart.I want none to go the ; NONE.

I dont know what to say anymore !
Maybe I should just walk away.

The spirit of futility has taken me over and causes me to feel useless among these ppl.

In Him,
LaWhana

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Admins have already answered this, and their stance on it, no use in discussing these types of topics.

Some just step over what the site states as their affirmations and continue to rip at the word.

Maybe a list of acceptable topics needs to be developed.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello Johann, and how are you all? Good question in OP, 1 John Five:7--Deliberate Hoax? Or Inspired Scripture? How did this verse get into the bible?
The more relevant question would be "How did this verse get removed from the Bible when it is integral to this passage and this chapter?" While we all may not agree with Jerome's Latin Vulgate in its entirety, that translation was made in the 4th century and includes 1 John 5:7. No doubt Jerome found it in the manuscripts he had before him.

Quoniam tres sunt, qui testimonium dant in caelo : Pater, Verbum, et Spiritus Sanctus : et hi tres unum sunt.
And there are three who give testimony in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost. And these three are one.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The more relevant question would be "How did this verse get removed from the Bible when it is integral to this passage and this chapter?" While we all may not agree with Jerome's Latin Vulgate in its entirety, that translation was made in the 4th century and includes 1 John 5:7. No doubt Jerome found it in the manuscripts he had before him.

Quoniam tres sunt, qui testimonium dant in caelo : Pater, Verbum, et Spiritus Sanctus : et hi tres unum sunt.
And there are three who give testimony in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost. And these three are one.
Thank you!

Love, Walter

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
II. Rabbinical Citations. The most ancient scribes and rabbis taught the Trinity; these generally predate 200 C. E.. The less ancient rabbis, those generally associated with post-Christian compilation of Talmud (ending 400 C. E. for the Palestinian, 500 C. E. for Babylonian) and Midrashim (from 200 C.E. to 900 C. E.) are unitarian. The shift, in my opinion, is based on factors including the following: the abandonment of the normative hermeneutic or grammatico-historical method in interpreting Scripture in favor of the allegorical method governed by Oral Tradition, and the debates with the Church; i.e., the abandonment of Scriptura Sola coupled with the desire to defend the Pharasaic tradition.

A. The Targumim. These are the translations of the Hebrew Scriptures into Chaldee (or Aramaic or Syriac), and these, when compared with the Hebrew, give us crystal clear indication of what many ancient rabbis taught concerning the doctrine of the Trinity. Especially clear is their perception of the Word of Jehovah called The Memra of Jehovah as a distinctive Person of Deity Who personally articulates and manifests the Father to His People. They understood this Person to be the same as Angel Jehovah. The weight of historical evidence clearly places these works prior to the "Christian" era; this proves that ancient rabbis understood the Trinity on the basis of the Hebrew Scriptures, thus verifying what has See [J. W. Etheridge, The Targums of Onkelos and Jonathan ben Uzziel ...; A. Edersheim, Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah, Appendices II, IX]. Frequently in the following references, the Hebrew reading is converted to the Chaldee reading by replacing Jehovah by Word of Jehovah, and in such a way as to teach the personal Deity of the Word; and any passage teaching the Deity of the Memra of Jehovah teaches that the Memra is a Person of Deity distinct from the Person denominated Jehovah the proof of this assertion is analogous to that given in the introduction in I.C. above. Finally, Memra is the Chaldee equivalent of the Greek Logos.

(1) Targum of Onkelos. In over 79 undisputed passages in the Penteteuch alone (!), Memra of Jehovah is used of Deity and hence a Person in the Godhead distinct from another Person called Jehovah. We give a few representative passages. These must be compared with the Hebrew text.

Gen 3:8,10. And they heard the voice of the Memra of Jehovah Elohim walking in the garden ... The voice of Thy Memra heard I in the garden, and I was afraid.

Gen 6:6-7.And it repented Jehovah in His Memra that He had made man upon the earth. And He said in His Memra that He would break their strength according to His pleasure.

Gen 15:6. And he believed in the Memra of Jehovah, and He reckoned it to him unto justification.

Gen 17:2,7,10. And I will set a covenant between My Memra and thee, ... And I will establish My covenant between My Memra and thee, and thy sons ... This is My covenant which you shall keep between My Memra and you ... And you shall circumcise ... for the sign of the covenant between My Memra and you.

Gen 28:20-1. And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If the Memra of Jehovah will be my help, and will keep me in that way in which I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to wear, and bring me in peace to my father's house, the Memra of Jehovah shall be my God.

Gen 31:49-50. ... The Memra of Jehovah will observe between me and thee ... see the Memra of Jehovah is witness between me and thee.

Num 14:9. Only be not rebellious against the Memra of Jehovah, ... and the Memra of Jehovah is our helper.

Deut 33:27. The habitation of Eloha is from eternity, and the world was made by His Memra; ...

(2) Targum of Palestine / "Jonathan ben Uzziel". In over 212 undisputed passages in the Penteteuch alone (!), Memra of Jehovah is used of Deity and hence a Person in the Godhead distinct from another Person called Jehovah. We give a few representative passages. These must be compared with the Hebrew text.

Gen 2:8. And a garden from the Eden of the just was planted by the Memra of Jehovah Elohim ...

Gen 4:26 5:2 That was the generation in whose days they began to err, and to make themselves idols, and surnamed their idols by the Name of the Memra of Jehovah. Male and female created He them, and blessed them in the Name of His Memra, ...

Ex 33:16-21. ... and by Thy speaking by the Holy Spirit to me and to Thy people. that we may be distinguished from all the peoples on the face of the earth? And Jehovah said to Mosheh, This thing will ... I also do ... And he said, Show now unto me Thy glory: but He said, Behold, I will make all the measure of My goodness pass before thee, and I will give utterance in the Name of the Memra of Jehovah before thee; and I will have compassion And He said, Thou canst not see the visage of My face; for no one can see Me and abide alive. And Jehovah said, Behold a place is prepared before Me, and thou shalt stand upon the rock. And it shall be that when the glory of My Shekhinah passeth before thee, I will put thee in the cavern of the rock, and will overshadow thee with My Memra until I have passed by.

Ex 34:5. And Jehovah revealed Himself in the cloud of the glory of His Shekhinah, and Mosheh stood with Him there; and Mosheh called upon the Name of the Memra of Jehovah.

Lev 1:1. ... and the Memra of Jehovah spake with him from the tabernacle of ordinance

Num 23:20. Behold, from the mouth of the Holy Memra I have received this benediction.

(3) Jerusalem Targum. In over 70 undisputed passages in the Penteteuch alone (!), Memra of Jehovah is used of Deity and hence a Person in the Godhead distinct from another Person called Jehovah. We give a few representative passages. These must be compared with the Hebrew text.

Gen. 16:13. And Hagar gave thanks, and prayed in the Name of the Memra of Jehovah Who had been manifested to her, saying, Blessed be Thou, Eloha, the Living One of all Ages, Who has looked upon affliction.

Ex 3:14 And the Memra of Jehovah said to Mosheh, He Who spake to the world, Be, and it was; and Who will speak to it, Be, and it will be. And He said, Thus shalt thou speak to the sons Israel EHEYEB [I will be] hath sent me unto you.

Comment. Many examples are common to the various Targumim. This proves that the doctrine of the Trinity was commonly believed amongst the Jews before the time of Christ. I cannot overemphasize the abundance of all the pertinent examples.

B. LXX (Septuagint). This is the translation by the seventy-two rabbis in Alexandria of the Hebrew Scriptures and Apocrypha into Greek; this work was carried from approximately 250 B.C.E. to 100 B.C.E. Here the word for the Second Person used by these rabbis is Logos (just as in the N. T.).

Book of Wisdom 18:14-6. For while all things were in quiet silence, and that night [of the first Passover] was in the midst of her swift course, Thine Almighty Logos leaped from heaven out of Thy Royal Throne, as a fierce Man of War into a land of destruction, and brought Thine unfeigned commandment as a sharp sword, and standing up filled all things with death,

C. Philo of Judaeus Alexandria. Born circa 25 B.C.E. and died circa 50 C.E., this Hellenistic Jewish rabbi took the concept of the Logos from Platonic philosophy, and refashioned it along the lines of the traditional Jewish understanding. Philo's concept of the Logos may be viewed then as another indication of the Trinitarian views of the most ancient rabbis. We give a sampling of descriptions from Philo. (See [J. W. Etheridge, op. cit., Volume I, 20-23] for full quotes; see also [H. A. Wolfson, Philo, Volume I, 200-94] for a thorough discussion, apparently written on the assumption that the most ancient Judaism was unitarian, which runs counter to Etheridge's views. After looking at many Philonic scholars who would disagree with Etheridge, it is my view their documentation is more easily explained by Etheridge's thesis especially scrutinize [Wolfson, op. cit., 291, lines 8-25] which makes Philo very self-contradictory unless a Personal distinction within the Divine Essence be assumed (and this is only one of many incongruities I found).)

(1) Philo describes the Logos in the following terms: "the Eternal Logos of the Everlasting God is the strongest and steadfast support of the universe", "Image of God", "Creator", man is "His copied image", "His [God's] Angel" who sits over the Cherubim, "the Father begat Him [Logos], "His [God's] First-Begotten Son", "Second God", "advocate the Son" for the high priest before the Father, "holds and directs the universe", "Mediator" Who "should determine between the creature and Creator", "receives the charge of the sacred flock", we should "regard the Image of God, Who is His Angel, the Logos, as God Himself" and "pledge our faith by the Begotten [Logos] and ... invoke the Divine Logos to witness", etc., etc., etc.

And if God wanted to be a human would be no issue the vessel was created in His image and likeness except the knowledge. Since God doesn't bypass his own laws of nature on how He created physical beings, all what God knows can't fit in human consciousness it would burst every circuitry in it. Though He can do the impossible of emptying that yet being human in the likeness and image of God.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Christians invented the word Trinity ( as opposed to triad) but the Bible shows the tri-unity of God.

Reactions: marks and RLT63

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you seriously going to cite the rabbis as "proof" of the trinity? The same teachers Jesus called false teachers in the Gospel accounts? You know, for people who say that the Christian is supposed to only rely on the NT for doctrines, you people sure do have a habit of quoting Jews who reject Christ.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Are you seriously going to cite the rabbis as "proof" of the trinity? The same teachers Jesus called false teachers in the Gospel accounts? You know, for people who say that the Christian is supposed to only rely on the NT for doctrines, you people sure do have a habit of quoting Jews who reject Christ.

It’s a misguided attempt by some to persuade Jews to convert - “the ancient rabbis were trinitarians.”

Most Jews see through it quickly and easily. The ancient rabbis weren’t trinitarians.

The argument makes trinitarians look foolish.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The source of trinitarianism is found in Church history, not in rabbinical Judaism.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is wrong with this last age !

All we do is blame, twist, distort,and lie about what God is, says, demmands and wills.

It's the ____ fault, no it's ______ way of denying. Oh it's the _______ church !

Come on ppl grow up,get off the teat, eat the meat of the Word.

If you are NOT maturing, it's YOUR OWN FAULT!

We have God's will in our hands to read and do, yet we DO NOT WANT TO TAKE OWNERSHIP OF OUR OWN ACCOUNTABILITY !

• Haha
Reactions: stormymonday

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

“The facts are as follows. First, it does not occur in any Greek manuscript earlier than the 14th century. The great manuscripts belong to the 3rd and 4th centuries [most scholars date them to the 4th and 5th centuries], and it occurs in none of them. None of the great early fathers of the Church knew it. Jerome's original version of the [Latin]Vulgate does not include it.

William Barclay
pp. 110-111, The Letters of John and Jude, The Daily Study Bible Series, Revised Edition, The Westminster Press, 1976.

“The passage is absent from the manuscripts of all ancient versions (Syriac, Coptic, Armenian, Ethiopic, Arabic, Slavonic), except the Latin; and it is not found (a) in the Old Latin in its early form (Tertullian Cyprian Augustine), or in the Vulgate (b) as issued by Jerome (codex Fuldensis [copied A. D. 541-46] and codex Amiatinus [copied before A. D. 716]) or (c) as revised by Alcuin (first hand of codex Vercellensis [ninth century]).”
pp. 716-718, A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament, United Bible Societies, 1971.

Status
Not open for further replies.