• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did God commend or approve of Rahab’s lie?

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did God commend or approve of Rahab’s lie?

James 2:25
“Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?”

Joshua 2:4-6
4 “And the woman took the two men, and hid them, and said thus, There came men unto me, but I wist not whence they were:
5 And it came to pass about the time of shutting of the gate, when it was dark, that the men went out: whither the men went I wot not: pursue after them quickly; for ye shall overtake them.
6 But she had brought them up to the roof of the house, and hid them with the stalks of flax, which she had laid in order upon the roof.”

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So did Rahab lie?

How do we explain this in the Bible?

Well, at this point: I hold to two possibilities or positions on this.
Granted, my second explanation (or position) I will attempt to explain or defend here (seeing it is my preferred explanation or possibility).
Anyways, here are my two explanations:

#1. Rahab lied, but it was not done for entirely selfish motives (but to protect others), and God was able to look past her transgression, and look to her faith because she may have later confessed of this sin of lying to the Lord.

#2. Rahab did not actually lie, but she used clever word play with the guards. There is a difference between declaring a person's current location that you last remembered, vs. declaring where a person is going or headed (of which you may not know). In other words, in Joshua 2:5, Rahab was telling the guards that she did not know the destination of where the two spies were going in regards to either their destination within the city, or their return destination, or some other headed destination, etc.; She basically said this as a form of distraction away from from the bit of information of her hiding them on top of her roof. The KJV is a little less clear on this fact in Joshua 2:5 unless you closely examine the word "whither" as meaning, "To what place, absolutely" and to understand that the definition of "went" is simply "the past tense of go." (Which can be interpreted as: "were going"). So Rahab's words to the guards would read like this:

"whither [i.e. To what place, absolutely] the men went [were going]
I wot [know] not:" (Joshua 2:5) (KJV).
As a matter of fact, even Modern Translations confirm this. In the Christian Standard Bible, Rahab says,

"I don’t know where they were going." (Joshua 2:5) (CSB).
In the New English Translation, Rahab says,

"I don’t know where they were heading." (NET).
This is not a lie to say that she did not know where they were headed to (i.e. Their ultimate destination). For it was true that Rahab had no clue where the two spies were headed. The last part of her words may seem also like a lie, but they are not. For she said, "pursue after them quickly; for ye shall overtake them." (Joshua 2:5).
Again, taking these words a generic way can be interpreted as merely words of encouragement and not words of certainty that she was confident that her directions were going to truly help them. How so? Well, she is basically being like a cheerleader at this point. "You can do it, guys!" But she did not know if victory would be in their hands or not because she cannot predict the future. She is saying, "if you pursue or hunt for them quickly, you find them." "You can do it. Go guys." Just like a cheerleader cheers her team on to succeed (and yet she does not know the certainty of their success or not).​

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the King James, the word "whither" is key.

One definition that helps here is: "To what place, absolutely."

full

Below in blue is the words of focus here.

Joshua 2:3-8 KJV Says,

3 "And the king of Jericho sent unto Rahab, saying, Bring forth the men that are come to thee, which are entered into thine house: for they be come to search out all the country.
4 And the woman took the two men, and hid them, and said thus, There came men unto me, but I wist not whence they were:

5 And it came to pass about the time of shutting of the gate, when it was dark, that the men went out: whither [i.e. To what place, absolutely] the men went [were going] I wot [know] not: pursue after them quickly; for ye shall overtake them.
6 But she had brought them up to the roof of the house, and hid them with the stalks of flax, which she had laid in order upon the roof.
7 And the men pursued after them the way to Jordan unto the fords: and as soon as they which pursued after them were gone out, they shut the gate.
8 And before they were laid down, she came up unto them upon the roof;"

She is basically saying to the guards, "To what place absolutely the men were going, I know not."

In other words, while Rahab knew that she had hidden these two spies on the top of her roof (i.e. they had went outside on the roof), she did not know whether they stayed on top of her roof or not, and she did not know where they were ultimately or absolutely headed in regards to their destination.

Two Modern Translations confirm this truth in the KJV.

"At nightfall, when the city gate was about to close, the men went out, and I don’t know where they were going. Chase after them quickly, and you can catch up with them!”"

(Joshua 2:5) (CSB) (Christian Standard Bible).

It's true. She did not know where they were ultimately going or their destination.
So she was not lying about this. Her failing to give them the details about how she hid them on the roof was hiding a truth from them. She was using clever word play about talking about their ultimate place of returning back from where they came from.

"When it was time to shut the city gate for the night, the men left. I don’t know where they were heading. Chase after them quickly, for you have time to catch them!”"
(Joshua 2:5) (NET) (New English Translation).

Again, it is a true statement that Rahab did not know where the two spies were headed (i.e. their end destination of return). This wording in Modern Translations again supports what is said with the word "whither" in the King James Bible.

For here are some interesting definitions for the word "whither" in the Macmillan Dictionary, that help to shed light on what could have possibly Rahab meant.

full

So based on this data, it is very possible that she simply did not lie at all, and she was using clever word play to protect them.

Sources used:
WHITHER - Definition from the KJV Dictionary

WOT - Definition from the KJV Dictionary
WHITHER (adverb) American English definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rahab also stated told the guards that she did not know where the men were from.

She said,

“There came men unto me, but I wist not whence they were:” (Joshua 2:4) (KJB).

“Yes, the men came to me, but I did not know where they had come from.” (Joshua 2:4) (NIV)​

This is a true statement. She did not in reality know the exact location of where these two spies came from. So she was not lying here.

Rahab also told the guards:

“And it came to pass about the time of shutting of the gate, when it was dark, that the men went out:” (Joshua 2:5).
Was this a lie?

Well, some may think Rahab is describing to the guards how she witnessed them going outside the gates at night. Others may think she was telling the guards about how the two spies left her home in the direction of the gates at dark. However, there is a chance she may not be saying this (Although the guards could have mistakenly read that into her words).

In this statement: There is a chance Rahab may not be lying again here.

Rahab could have merely said that at sundown (Which just so happens to be the time at the shutting of the gate) the guards had went out of her home (Which is true because she hid them outside on the roof). So again, there is a possibility here that she was not lying, but merely using clever word play with the guards.

Side Note:

It is also possible that Rahab may have had time to rehearse all of what she wanted to say to the guards so as to convince them and yet not lie.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would like to talk a little more about the last part of Rehab's words in Joshua 2:5 that were said to the guards in relation to the two spies.

In Joshua 2:5 (KJV), Rehab says to the guards,

"...pursue after them quickly; for ye shall overtake them."

Here the word "for" read from our perspective on this word sounds like Rehab was 100% confident that if they were to pursue after the two spies quickly, they will most certainly overtake them (Which would be a lie).

But when we look at the KJV Dictionary for the word "for," we can see a good number of definitions.
One such definition that could fit really well here to protect the innocence of Rehab is definition 7.
It says, "In advantage of."

full

Source:
FOR - Definition from the KJV Dictionary

Lets read these words from her with this in mind.

"...pursue after them quickly; for [to the advantage of] ye [you-all] shall overtake them."
(Joshua 2:5).

In other words, she said,

"...pursue after them quickly and you shall take advantage in overtaking them."

Which again is a true statement. For if they were truly quick or fast enough to pursue after the two spies, they could very well technically take advantage in overtaking them. But she is not saying they are fast or quick to pursue. She is merely saying that it is possible to overtake them if they are quick to pursue them. If they had men on their team who were expert super trackers, they would be quick to find them. Some folks are not really good trackers (i.e. quick to pursue those that they are looking for). She most likely realizes this fact. But she merely makes a statement that if they were super trackers, they would find them regardless of what she said.

So from a certain point view, these words by her are true, and not a lie.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here are a couple of translations that back this line of thinking in the KJV.

" I don’t know where they were going, but if you hurry, maybe you can catch them.” (Joshua 2:5) (CEV).

"Go after them quickly, and you might overtake them.”
(Joshua 2:5) (ISV).

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s also possible that Rahab knew that these guards (looking for the two spies) are not all that good at tracking down or pursuing others.
So if this was true, she would be backhandedly insulting them by encouraging them that if they were quick to pursue the two spies, they would overtake them.

If indeed this was true, it definitely would be funny, for sure.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So in conclusion:

While I do hold to two possibilities on what happened with Rahab, I do tend to lean heavily on the possibility that Rahab did not even lie but she used clever word play with the guards. Her words were true, but they could be misread in the wrong way by her clever word play. So in short, it’s possible Rahab did not lie and so God commending Rahab for her faith for her sending out the spies another way would not have been a problem because her sending out the spies another way was not tied to any kind of lie. Anyways, whatever truly happened, I know for sure God did not commend Rahab for lying (if indeed she did lie).

I hope that what I have written here has been a blessing to someone reading here.

May God’s love and good ways shine upon you all greatly today.

Last edited:

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Bible Highlighter that’s quite a bit of thinking time spent on a simple issue.

She lied to evil men to protect good men.

God did not seem to be displeased.

It doesn’t bother me either.

God doesn’t seem to mind when Sarah lied in fear here:

“And the LORD said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, which am old?” (Genesis 18:13)

“Then Sarah denied, saying, I laughed not; for she was afraid. And he said, Nay; but thou didst laugh.” (Genesis 18:15)

And when God sent Samuel to anoint David king:

“And the LORD said unto Samuel, How long wilt thou mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? fill thine horn with oil, and go, I will send thee to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided me a king among his sons. And Samuel said, How can I go? if Saul hear it, he will kill me. And the LORD said, Take an heifer with thee, and say, I am come to sacrifice to the LORD. And call Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will shew thee what thou shalt do: and thou shalt anoint unto me him whom I name unto thee.” (1 Samuel 16:1-3)

See? God told Samuel to not announce that he was come to anoint David king.

Lying and withholding the whole truth is okay in certain situations depending on the reason and motivation.

Knowing the full counsel of scripture gives us wisdom in this area.

“Ye shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another.” (Leviticus 19:11)

If a wicked man can achieve his evil purpose (especially against a brother) in my honest answer, I will lie to that wicked man without reservation.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Bible Highlighter that’s quite a bit of thinking time spent on a simple issue.

She lied to evil men to protect good men.

God did not seem to be displeased.

It doesn’t bother me either.

God doesn’t seem to mind when Sarah lied in fear here:

“And the LORD said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, which am old?” (Genesis 18:13)

“Then Sarah denied, saying, I laughed not; for she was afraid. And he said, Nay; but thou didst laugh.” (Genesis 18:15)

Lying and withholding the whole truth is okay in certain situations depending on the reason and motivation.

Knowing the full counsel of scripture gives us wisdom in this area.

“Ye shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another.” (Leviticus 19:11)

If a wicked man can achieve his evil purpose in my honest answer, I will lie to that wicked man without reservation.

Revelation 21:8 says,
“But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 21:8 says,
“But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”

Do you suppose Obadiah will be in the lake of fire for doing this?

“Was it not told my lord what I did when Jezebel slew the prophets of the LORD, how I hid an hundred men of the LORD'S prophets by fifty in a cave, and fed them with bread and water?” (1 Kings 18:13)

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you suppose Obadiah will be in the lake of fire for doing this?

“Was it not told my lord what I did when Jezebel slew the prophets of the LORD, how I hid an hundred men of the LORD'S prophets by fifty in a cave, and fed them with bread and water?” (1 Kings 18:13)

Hiding is not lying. Even certain forms of deception is not lying. For example: Jesus said to the Jews that they were gods. He obviously did not mean deity by these words, but how they were kings. This was clearly a form of misdirecting them away from His previous claim to deity so He could accomplish His mission in going to the cross. For they wanted to stone him over it.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So if you were Obadiah and asked if you knew where there were any prophets of the Lord you would divulge their location so that they could be executed???

You can talk about what ifs all you like. The reality is that hiding is not lying.
Anyways, if I was faced with a situation of Nazi’s showing up at my house and I was hiding Jews inside the walls of my home, I could say to them…

“Do you see any Jews around here? I don’t see any Jews here? Please feel free to look around if you like.”

So… my above words would be true, and not technically a lie.
So one does not have to lie to protect life. One can use clever word play with one’s words instead.
That’s what I believe Rahab did.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can talk about what ifs all you like. The reality is that hiding is not lying.

I’m looking for honesty from a fellow brother.

If you hid prophets in a cave from an evil government that was executing prophets and they asked you if you knew where any prophets were, would you divulge where those hidden prophets were?

What would your answer be?

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m looking for honesty from a fellow brother.

If you hid prophets from an evil government that was executing prophets and they asked you if you knew where any prophets were, would you divulge where those hidden prophets were?

What would you’re answer be?

Look. I am not a “Master mind clever snap to it word smith.” Maybe some people are. But I am sure if somebody put a gun to my head and told me to come up with one, I probably could do so, but you missing the point. I just gave you a scenario in protecting the Jews from Nazi’s without me having to lie (Which shows you it is possible). Why are discarding this means or solution?

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, convenient scenario that allows your escape from my scenario.

Stop dancing around my question @Bible Highlighter

Look. I don’t have to bow my knee to your demands. Your not my Master. Jesus is. I don’t have to answer all your what if scenarios to prove that it is possible to use clever word play to get out of a bad situation without lying. I just gave you one involving the Jews. That right there is all the proof I need that it is possible. So why are you ignoring this and demanding for yet another example?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joshua 2:1-8
Young's Literal Translation

2 And Joshua son of Nun sendeth from Shittim, two men, spies, silently, saying, `Go, see the land -- and Jericho;' and they go and come into the house of a woman, a harlot, and her name [is] Rahab, and they lie down there.

2 And it is told to the king of Jericho, saying, `Lo, men have come in hither to-night, from the sons of Israel, to search the land.

3 And the king of Jericho sendeth unto Rahab, saying, `Bring out the men who are coming in unto thee, who have come into thy house, for to search the whole of the land they have come in.

4 And the woman taketh the two men, and hideth them, and saith thus: `The men came in unto me, and I have not known whence they [are];

5 and it cometh to pass -- the gate is to [be] shut -- in the dark, and the men have gone out; I have not known whither the men have gone; pursue ye, hasten after them, for ye overtake them;'

6 and she hath caused them to go up on the roof, and hideth them with the flax wood, which is arranged for her on the roof.

7 And the men have pursued after them the way of the Jordan, by the fords, and the gate they have shut afterwards, when the pursuers have gone out after them.

8 And -- before they lie down -- she hath gone up unto them on the roof,

Joshua 2:1-8
New Living Translation

Rahab Protects the Spies
2 Then Joshua secretly sent out two spies from the Israelite camp at Acacia Grove. He instructed them, “Scout out the land on the other side of the Jordan River, especially around Jericho.” So the two men set out and came to the house of a prostitute named Rahab and stayed there that night.

2 But someone told the king of Jericho, “Some Israelites have come here tonight to spy out the land.” 3 So the king of Jericho sent orders to Rahab: “Bring out the men who have come into your house, for they have come here to spy out the whole land.”

4 Rahab had hidden the two men, but she replied, “Yes, the men were here earlier, but I didn’t know where they were from. 5 They left the town at dusk, as the gates were about to close. I don’t know where they went. If you hurry, you can probably catch up with them.” 6 (Actually, she had taken them up to the roof and hidden them beneath bundles of flax she had laid out.) 7 So the king’s men went looking for the spies along the road leading to the shallow crossings of the Jordan River. And as soon as the king’s men had left, the gate of Jericho was shut.

8 Before the spies went to sleep that night, Rahab went up on the roof to talk with them.