Is lying a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Exodus 20:

16 You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
Leviticus 19:

11b You must not lie or deceive one another. 12You must not swear falsely by My name and so profane the name of your God. I am the LORD. 13a You must not defraud your neighbor or rob him.
Revelation 21:

8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”
On the other hand, there were excusable occasions in the Bible.

Midwives lied to Pharaoh in Exodus 1:

19 The midwives answered Pharaoh, “Hebrew women are not like Egyptian women; they are vigorous and give birth before the midwives arrive.”
Rahab lied in Joshua 2:

3 So the king of Jericho sent this message to Rahab: “Bring out the men who came to you and entered your house, because they have come to spy out the whole land.”
4But the woman had taken the two men and hidden them. She said, “Yes, the men came to me, but I did not know where they had come from.
Samson lied to Delilah in Judges 16:

6So Delilah said to Samson, “Please tell me the source of your great strength and how you can be tied up and subdued.”
7Samson told her, “If they tie me up with seven fresh bowstrings that have not been dried, I will become as weak as any other man.”
Is it always wrong to tell a lie or untruth?

No, but let the Paraclete guide you in your conscience. As a rule of thumb, we should tell the truth.

Reactions: marks and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 20:

Leviticus 19:

Revelation 21:

On the other hand, there were excusable occasions in the Bible.

Midwives lied to Pharaoh in Exodus 1:

Rahab lied in Joshua 2:

Samson lied to Delilah in Judges 16:

Is it always wrong to tell a lie or untruth?

No, but let the Paraclete guide you in your conscience. As a rule of thumb, we should tell the truth.
In 1 Samuel we also see David pretending to be insane to escape the Philistines, that would also be lying or, bearing false witness of his true self.
Now, if my neighbor came over to show me her new dress that she loves, and I found it to be gaudy and not attractive, how could I ever say to her smiling face "ew, it's way gaudy, you should take it back"? I could not tell her that so...is it sin on my part to tell her the dress looks ravishing on her?
Brother, you have wonderful threads, I do like how you take small bits and draw much from them.
Be blessed.