Did God give you another name?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did God give you a new name?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was listening to a cover version of a Bob Dylan song from the soundtrack of his film "masked and anonymous" that was sung by Shirley Caesar and called "Gotta serve somebody ". She added a line to the lyrics "you may call me Molly, but my name is Shirley and since God gave me another name, I know I've been born again."
The idea comes from the book of the Revelation:
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.” ’ Revelation 2:17

Now, I didn't receive any white stone with a name on it when I was born again, but many years later, I believed that the Lord spoke to me and gave me a new name that I'm not supposed to share with anyone. This set me thinking first about the Apostle Paul who had been Saul of Tarsus. Who changed His name?
And then I thought of Peter who had been called Simon. Jewish Tradition even gives Solomon multiple names including Lemuel. I've never really understood the point of a new name unless it represents being a new creation.

I'm just wondering how common this experience is. Did God give you another name?

I'm not asking anyone to share their "new name", I'd just like to know if you've had the experience of receiving a new name. As a Catholic we chose another name for ourselves when confirmed, but I mean did God give you another name? Yes or no will do, but if you have a different understanding of the verse, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.” ’ Revelation 2:17

This verse made me think of this:

Jdg 13:2 And there was a certain man of Zorah, of the family of the Danites, whose name was Manoah; and his wife was barren, and bare not.
Jdg 13:3 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and said unto her, Behold now, thou art barren, and bearest not: but thou shalt conceive, and bear a son.
Jdg 13:4 Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing:
Jdg 13:5 For, lo, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and no razor shall come on his head: for the child shall be a Nazarite unto God from the womb: and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines.

Jdg 13:17 And Manoah said unto the angel of the LORD, What is thy name, that when thy sayings come to pass we may do thee honour?
Jdg 13:18 And the angel of the LORD said unto him, Why askest thou thus after my name, seeing it is secret?

Which makes me think of John the Baptist and Jesus. And the Angel's name would be Gabriel.

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches:
Rev 2:12 And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges;
Rev 2:13 I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.
Rev 2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
Rev 2:15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
Rev 2:16 Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
Rev 2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

Mat 19:11 But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.

Just thinking....
Hugs

Reactions: michaelvpardo

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This verse made me think of this:

Jdg 13:2 And there was a certain man of Zorah, of the family of the Danites, whose name was Manoah; and his wife was barren, and bare not.
Jdg 13:3 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and said unto her, Behold now, thou art barren, and bearest not: but thou shalt conceive, and bear a son.
Jdg 13:4 Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing:
Jdg 13:5 For, lo, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and no razor shall come on his head: for the child shall be a Nazarite unto God from the womb: and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines.

Jdg 13:17 And Manoah said unto the angel of the LORD, What is thy name, that when thy sayings come to pass we may do thee honour?
Jdg 13:18 And the angel of the LORD said unto him, Why askest thou thus after my name, seeing it is secret?

Which makes me think of John the Baptist and Jesus. And the Angel's name would be Gabriel.

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches:
Rev 2:12 And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges;
Rev 2:13 I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.
Rev 2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
Rev 2:15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
Rev 2:16 Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
Rev 2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

Mat 19:11 But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.

Just thinking....
Hugs
I like the story of Samson and I've heard sermons that focused on his disobedience to God, but from the beginning of His works done in opposition to the law, the scripture tells us that his behavior was done in God's will.

3 Then his father and mother said to him, “Is there no woman among the daughters of your brethren, or among all my people, that you must go and get a wife from the uncircumcised Philistines?”
And Samson said to his father, “Get her for me, for she pleases me well.”
4 But his father and mother did not know that it was of the Lord—that He was seeking an occasion to move against the Philistines. For at that time the Philistines had dominion over Israel.
Judges 14:3-4

God made Samson a judge over Israel for twenty years, and all some people see is his choice to pursue a pagan as a wife and his refusal to hear his parents. Then at the end of Samson 's story we see this verse:

30 Then Samson said, “Let me die with the Philistines!” And he pushed with all his might, and the temple fell on the lords and all the people who were in it. So the dead that he killed at his death were more than he had killed in his life. Judges 16:30
So, in his death, Samson accomplished the overthrow of all the Lords of the Philistines, and had his greatest victory in the mission he was called to. I can't help but see him as a "type" of Christ, as his birth echoed that of Isaac and his death was his greatest victory. The fact that he was a Nazarite from birth also speaks to the humility of God in Christ taking the form of a servant, and the Lord's vow at the last supper to not taste the fruit of the vine "until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.”

The Nazarite ate no grapes or raisins, nor drank wine until his vow was fulfilled.
If the "angel of the Lord" were identified as Gabriel that would've strengthened the "type" of Christ, but some see the "angel of the Lord" as the preincanate Christ, which only makes our understanding of His person more difficult. The book of Hebrews opposes the view that Christ was an angel, but some cults see Him this way. That's why I'd agree that the angel was Gabriel though his name is secret in the passage. It's interesting that Gabriel wasn't mentioned at all in the Old Testament until the book of Daniel, and Daniel was a prophet to the gentiles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

to give a sign, to signify, indicate
to make known

signify:
1Pe 1:10 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:
1Pe 1:11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.
1Pe 1:12 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.
1Pe 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

This is one of those strong meat parts...
I'm having trouble chewing..
help?

Hugs

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

to give a sign, to signify, indicate
to make known

signify:
1Pe 1:10 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:
1Pe 1:11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.
1Pe 1:12 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.
1Pe 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

This is one of those strong meat parts...
I'm having trouble chewing..
help?

Hugs
OK, let's tackle Peter's passage.
First of all who is it written to? The answer is in verse 1.
To the pilgrims of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, 2 elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ:
Paul was the Apostle to the gentiles, Peter was primarily an Apostle to the Jews and this letter is to "pilgrims of the Dispersion". The Diaspora were Jews removed from Israel hundreds of years before Christ by conquerors and "dispersed" through the Mediterranean world as far as Spain. So this epistle is written to Jewish believers in Christ among the Diaspora.

In one epistle Paul explains that Jews look for signs, but that the Greeks reasoned things out when it came to their beliefs. So when signs are mentioned it's usually indicating that these were works looked for by the Jews. When the prophets ministered in Israel, they worked signs representing things to come by the hand of God. Even Moses spoke of some things as signs for posterity in Israel.

13 Now the blood shall be a sign for you on the houses where you are. And when I see the blood, I will pass over you; and the plague shall not be on you to destroy you when I strike the land of Egypt.
14 ‘So this day shall be to you a memorial; and you shall keep it as a feast to the Lord throughout your generations. You shall keep it as a feast by an everlasting ordinance.
Exodus 12:13-14
The Jews keep the passover, but they can only see the blood as a sign to the destroyer to pass over them, while we see the sign as pointing to the blood of Christ, the Lamb of God.

Now with regard to the prophets in 1 Peter 1:10, the prophets gave signs regarding the coming of the Messiah, but didn't understand what those signs meant. Isaiah even gives the gospel message in the book of Isaiah and in chapter 53, speaking to the sufferings of Christ, His death, and resurrection, and saying:
Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise Him;
He has put
Him to grief.
When You make His soul an offering for sin,
He shall see
His seed, He shall prolong His days,
And the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in His hand.
11 He shall see the labor of His soul,
and be satisfied.
By His knowledge My righteous Servant shall justify many,
For He shall bear their iniquities.
12 Therefore I will divide Him a portion with the great,
And He shall divide the spoil with the strong,
Because He poured out His soul unto death,
And He was numbered with the transgressors,
And He bore the sin of many,
And made intercession for the transgressors.
Isaiah 53:10-12
If Isaiah knew the Lord's name, he kept it to himself, but other prophets gave His name indirectly.

Moses called his servant Hoshea the son of Nun, Joshua.

Jeremiah calls Him a branch of righteousness:
15 ‘In those days and at that time
I will cause to grow up to David
A Branch of righteousness;
He shall execute judgment and righteousness in the earth.
Jeremiah 33:15

Zechariah gives us the name of that branch:
11 Take the silver and gold, make an elaborate crown, and set it on the head of Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest. 12 Then speak to him, saying, ‘Thus says the Lord of hosts, saying:
“Behold, the Man whose name is the BRANCH!
From His place He shall branch out,
And He shall build the temple of the Lord;
13 Yes, He shall build the temple of the Lord.
He shall bear the glory,
And shall sit and rule on His throne;
So He shall be a priest on His throne,
And the counsel of peace shall be between them both.” ’
Zechariah 6:11-13
This passage also identifies Joshua (Jesus) as both High Priest and King (the law had three separate annointed offices, prophet, priest and king. Jesus is all three.)
Joshua the son of Jehozadak could not be both priest and king, but this crown was for a sign to Israel.

These aren't the only examples, because the signs start in Genesis with the curses in chapter 3 and the blood sacrifice to make clothing of animal skin to cover the nakedness of Adam and Eve. The fig leaves were their own covering, the animal skins were God's atonement for them.

What Peter is telling us is, though the prophets looked forward to the "son of promise" starting in Genesis 3:15, and received signs revealing Jesus before Jesus was born, they weren't "saved" by that knowledge until Jesus paid the price of our redemption in His blood. They looked forward to the Messiah and even to the cross, but had to wait for their redemption until the price was paid. We look back at the price paid, as the redeemed, but still awaiting the redemption of our bodies. They wrote about the revelation of God in the person of His Son, without full understanding of what they were writing about in terms of signs, we have the revelation of God in the person of His Christ, who came fulfilling those signs.

17 And I will wait on the Lord,
Who hides His face from the house of Jacob;
And I will hope in Him.
18 Here am I and the children whom the Lord has given me!
We are for signs and wonders in Israel
From the Lord of hosts,
Who dwells in Mount Zion.
Isaiah 8:17-19

Does this help?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziggy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was listening to a cover version of a Bob Dylan song from the soundtrack of his film "masked and anonymous" that was sung by Shirley Caesar and called "Gotta serve somebody ". She added a line to the lyrics "you may call me Molly, but my name is Shirley and since God gave me another name, I know I've been born again."

Now, I didn't receive any white stone with a name on it when I was born again, but many years later, I believed that the Lord spoke to me and gave me a new name that I'm not supposed to share with anyone. This set me thinking first about the Apostle Paul who had been Saul of Tarsus. Who changed His name?
And then I thought of Peter who had been called Simon. Jewish Tradition even gives Solomon multiple names including Lemuel. I've never really understood the point of a new name unless it represents being a new creation.

I'm just wondering how common this experience is. Did God give you another name?

I'm not asking anyone to share their "new name", I'd just like to know if you've had the experience of receiving a new name. As a Catholic we chose another name for ourselves when confirmed, but I mean did God give you another name? Yes or no will do, but if you have a different understanding of the verse, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Brilliant. I love to hear when people share the things God has said to them. He told me he had turned me from a grain of sand into a pearl so that is why I use that name on here. I don't know that it is a new name that he gave me though and he didn't say not to share it.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brilliant. I love to hear when people share the things God has said to them. He told me he had turned me from a grain of sand into a pearl so that is why I use that name on here. I don't know that it is a new name that he gave me though and he didn't say not to share it.
Just curious, but the grain of sand reference is interesting too. Are you of Hebrew descent?

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I received a new name but I'm not totally sure it was God. It was a long time ago and I can't remember if it was the Holy Spirit.
Well, I can't see why anyone other than God would want to give you a new name, but I appreciate your honesty. Did you see something of yourself reflected in that new name?
I'm not asking for the name, but I can see myself in the name He gave me and am wondering if you see some truth in what you were given?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well, I can't see why anyone other than God would want to give you a new name, but I appreciate your honesty. Did you see something of yourself reflected in that new name?
I'm not asking for the name, but I can see myself in the name He gave me and am wondering if you see some truth in what you were given?
@michaelvpardo Saul became Paul......

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reminds me also of what John the Baptist said about himself: "He must increase, but I must decrease" (john 3.30).
I was thinking more along these lines:

Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:19
Paul has been frequently misrepresented as promoting sin by teaching grace and even had to defend himself with regard to liberty versus licentiousness. I think that whoever gave him that name, just had a sense of humor.

Reactions: Lambano

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Pearl Similarly, I suppose, someone with pearl earrings, etc., could use them as a conversation-starter, using them as a lead in to testimony...

(2 c....)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure. But there are only so many names to pass out and so many people.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just curious, but the grain of sand reference is interesting too. Are you of Hebrew descent?

No. The sand reference comes from a song the Lord gave me at the start of my Christian life. It came to me the first time I ever used my new gift of tongues. I was just in my kitchen doing housewife stuff and started to sing in my new spiritual language. I sang the same tune repeatedly for ages - verse and chorus, verse and chorus and then I started to sing it in English and never forgot the words. One of the lines is You are mine said the Lord, you are mine said he from the day you were born again in me. I will hold you tight in my mighty hand, you will no longer be just a grain of sand. It was like a prophecy.

That must have been forty years ago and then a few years ago as I sat quietly with the Lord at the start of a new day, just being at peace and drinking my tea with that song nowhere in my mind, God whispered into my spirit saying, ‘I have turned you into a pearl.’ It was staggering.

Now it took me a couple of minutes to understand the significance of this but when I did my spirit soared within me as I realised he was telling me that the first part of that personal prophecy had been fulfilled in me.

Since then I have been meditating about how pearls get to be pearls and God has shown me that the grain of sand which gets into an oyster can’t make itself beautiful. The sand has no inherent beauty of its own. It is the oyster that does all the work;, wrapping layer upon layer of beauty round the grit, covering it with its own natural covering so that it glows and gleams and shines not with it’s own beauty but that of the oyster.

So it is with us who are in Christ. We start off as bits of grit, worthless of ourselves but once in him we begin the transformation as he covers us with layer upon layer of his own beauty, turning us into pearls. Wherever we are and whatever we are doing and whoever we are with this beauty should be obvious. We should gleam and glow and shine with the beauty of Jesus.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

'name' represents character. In Hebrew culture they waited some days after the birth before the child was named. After a time of observation they gave it a name closely suited its character. Maybe the indigenous of the Northern Americas practiced something similar?

A change of name represents a change of character.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pearl, I love your story. I had something similar happen, and I used that name on a couple of long defunct forums. I decided to retire it when I joined CB, though.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure. But there are only so many names to pass out and so many people.
Yes, when I was born " Michael " was the most popular name for newborns and there are thousands if not millions of Michaels born in that year. Yet names typically have meaning. My mom claimed that she named me after the Archangel and the name "Michael" is an exclamatory question of praise meaning "Who is like God!"

Last edited:
Reactions: dev553344