Does " Blotting out" a name not mean any acts of righteousness associated with, are not also removed from the records of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the discussions on another's thread:

The word indicates that a wicked person's name is "blotted out" (Ex. 32:33; Deut. 25:19; 29:20; Ps. 69:28) of the Book of Life and therefore it is a record of everyone who ever lived, and expresses that those who love the darkness and do not love the light have their names blotted out (see John 3:19-20).

It is God whom blots out one's name, by his judgment of our actions, lifestyles and beliefs! Just as he " blots" out our sins upon repentance.
Isaiah 43:25 (NIV)
"I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more.

There are those whom think we do not have a part in our walk with him which extends from our salvation, but that it is all ON HIM. The word states it is they that endure unto the endure of their life in him; faithful, that will inherit, enter in and receive all the promises of God.
Revelation 3:5
says, "The one who conquers will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life.

Several verses speak of God blotting or not blotting names out of the book of life: "I will not blot out his name out of the book of life" (Rv 3:5); "God shall take away his part out of the book of life" (Rv 22:19); Ex. 32:32 Moses appealed to God; "...if thou wilt forgive their sin-; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which" ...
Moses understood that if the rebellion of Israel was so great it threatened their entry with God, why then do ppl NOT understand we serve the same God. Just bc Christ is our propitiation does not mean we cannot reject, rebell the same and over-step his grace! The eternal life promise has clauses and or consequences:

God does not lie; he has left us instruction to be able to enter into heaven. We should heed all!

Ezekiel tells us this in many places of this book, about one's righteousness & unrighteousness. ALL Gods word by his grace, is applicable in instruction on the righteousness God requires.

18 When the righteous turneth from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, he shall even die thereby.

May we examine our walk daily to see if we are continuing in the faith
Colossians 1:23
23 if you continue in your faith, established and firm and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.
Your thoughts in order are welcome but this is not a debate but about spirituality.
We grow when we are teachable & learning.

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lets take a good long look at something in that bible .
Remember how i always say YE MUST BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST and not rather another jesus .
Well check this out .
What did paul write to the galations .
HE said he saw a great dissmulation going on . That peter etc walked not according to what .............
what was that word . HE says according to THE GOSPEL . yeah he said that .
Now we all know both peter and barnabas KNEW THE GOSPEL . I dont think folks are gonna like this reminder
but it goes back to what JESUS had said to them . HE said this . WHY DO YOU CALL ME LORD
and yet DO NOT the THINGS that i say . Sin and error must be corrected .

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I personally believe the whole of the word is written for us as followers of God.
I personally believe every word of the New Testament is for those whom claim to be followers of Jesus!
2 Timothy 3:16-17
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in RIGHTEOUSNESS: that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto ALL GOOD WORKS.

• Love

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I see one post bits & pieces of the word, leaving off the whole of the instruction to fit their theology or doctrine, then they, themselves break our fellowship as believers !

It is they that have separated themselves from the truth of believing.
1 Peter 2:9
9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

• Love

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The word indicates that a wicked person's name is "blotted out" (Ex. 32:33; Deut. 25:19; 29:20; Ps. 69:28) of the Book of Life and therefore it is a record of everyone who ever lived, and expresses that those who love the darkness and do not love the light have their names blotted out (see John 3:19-20).

It is God whom blots out one's name, by his judgment of our actions, lifestyles and beliefs! Just as he " blots" out our sins upon repentance.
"I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more.

There are those whom think we do not have a part in our walk with him which extends from our salvation, but that it is all ON HIM. The word states it is they that endure unto the endure of their life in him; faithful, that will inherit, enter in and receive all the promises of God.
says, "The one who conquers will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life.

Several verses speak of God blotting or not blotting names out of the book of life: "I will not blot out his name out of the book of life" (Rv 3:5); "God shall take away his part out of the book of life" (Rv 22:19); Ex. 32:32 Moses appealed to God; "...if thou wilt forgive their sin-; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which" ...
Moses understood that if the rebellion of Israel was so great it threatened their entry with God, why then do ppl NOT understand we serve the same God. Just bc Christ is our propitiation does not mean we cannot reject, rebell the same and over-step his grace! The eternal life promise has clauses and or consequences:

God does not lie; he has left us instruction to be able to enter into heaven. We should heed all!

Ezekiel tells us this in many places of this book, about one's righteousness & unrighteousness. ALL Gods word by his grace, is applicable in instruction on the righteousness God requires.

18 When the righteous turneth from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, he shall even die thereby.

23 if you continue in your faith, established and firm and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.
Your thoughts in order are welcome but this is not a debate but about spirituality.

Regarding the question, "Does "Blotting out" a name not mean any acts of righteousness associated with, are not also removed from the records of God?"-- The answer is, No.

Light is divided from darkness, no light is destroyed with the darkness.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regarding the question, "Does "Blotting out" a name not mean any acts of righteousness associated with, are not also removed from the records of God?"-- The answer is, No.

Light is divided from darkness, no light is destroyed with the darkness.

How say ye " NO", that the acts of righteousness are not removed from the account of one whom is blotted out ?
Maybe you are saying the acts are NOT blotted out but have been done by faith and are no longer accounted to the one they were done by......

Am I getting you.....?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How say ye " NO", that the acts of righteousness are not removed from the account of one whom is blotted out ?
Maybe you are saying the acts are NOT blotted out but have been done by faith and are no longer accounted to the one they were done by......

Am I getting you.....?

Just as the ravens brought food to Elijah, and just as Nebuchadnezzar, an evil king, served the Lord for a time...the good was not their own, but of God. Every good thing is from God.

Last edited:
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just as the ravens brought food to Elijah, and just as Nebuchadnezzar, and evil king, served the Lord for a time...the good was not their own, but of God. Every good thing is from God.
I agree.
However this was not the indication of my title.

Some are under the impression that their righteous works or righteousness will keep them in the lambs book of life.
If ones name is blotted out or removed their works of righteousness are also removed from their account, but all comes via God and our remaining in him !

• Love

XFire

May 14, 2022
San jose
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who cares. Quit worrying the good works you did and worry mire about getting to heaven. This sounds like someone that would sit there and argue with Christ at the judgement seat

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think people have a problem when they do not think of what God has against us.

the unbeliever is the person who lives in sin,, their name will be blotted out. based on unbelief.. Gods charge against them will be their sin.

The believer is adopted into Gods family. His sin issue is removed forever by the blood of the lamb, That's why he does not have to die year after year as was the old way. God said they are righteous, they can not live in sin. and their name will not be blotted out.

There are only two things God says every person will fall under.

He who believes is not condemned

He who does not believe is condemned already

I am massively confused by those who think after the sin issue which made us dead (the penalty of wage of sin) is removed, think we must clean ourselves up in order to be granted entrance to heaven..

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree.
However this was not the indication of my title.

Some are under the impression that their righteous works or righteousness will keep them in the lambs book of life.
If ones name is blotted out or removed their works of righteousness are also removed from their account, but all comes via God and our remaining in him !
not by works of righteousness which we have done, but by his mercy he saved us.

A persons righteouisness in order to keep from being blotted out would be filthy rags,., they would not be works of righteousness.

Reactions: Ritajanice

XFire

May 14, 2022
San jose
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think people have a problem when they do not think of what God has against us.

the unbeliever is the person who lives in sin,, their name will be blotted out. based on unbelief.. Gods charge against them will be their sin.

The believer is adopted into Gods family. His sin issue is removed forever by the blood of the lamb, That's why he does not have to die year after year as was the old way. God said they are righteous, they can not live in sin. and their name will not be blotted out.

There are only two things God says every person will fall under.

He who believes is not condemned

He who does not believe is condemned already

I am massively confused by those who think after the sin issue which made us dead (the penalty of wage of sin) is removed, think we must clean ourselves up in order to be granted entrance to heaven..
I basically agree with all you said. But Jesus died for all sins. So the only sin we will be blotted outfor is not accepting Jesus and Lord and savior

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Matt 7:21-23
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Consider the deeds listed above. Prophecy, casting out demons, and wonders. Which of these can be done without God? None.

So it is God who deserves the glory, as it is with all good works.
Matt 5:16
In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

And you could apply the reasoning from Romans 3 concerning our unrighteous not diminishing God's righteousness.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't know about blotting out as I don't have God's pen to do so and I don't believe anyone here does either. But I think we learn from the bible to do good works, and the spirit guides us to do good works, and then we can just do what we have learned from God. That does not save us but helps to justify us because Jesus may have mercy on us and allow it to justify us.

I'm not sure what works the thief on the cross had before he died.

We are justified in two ways, thru works and thru faith. Those that have no works are justified thru faith.

I think @lforrest made the correct assessment that those that Jesus threw away rested on the works of God for their salvation.

Why are you worried about blotting out and warning against it? The bible already covers that area pretty well.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
'Blotting out' means we have no interest in the values of God. It effectively means one puts his/her hand up and says, I do not want you to rule over my heart, I prefer my own priorities.

Yes, God does not blot out anyone. He has written the name of all humanity in it....in the crucified and risen Jesus. Pauls letter to the Ephesians is clear on this wonder!