Did Jesus claim to be God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Did Jesus claim to be God?​

MOST CERTAINLY!! Jesus made many direct and indirect stunning claims that He is God, in which some have already been written in this thread.

My two cents worth....
I believe you need some lessons in Hebrew and Greek because the scriptures you chose do not even hint at, let alone “stunningly” state, that Jesus is Almighty God Yahweh/Jehovah, at all.
Isaiah 42:8 reads:
I [am] the LORD: that [is] my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.
The LORD there is Yahweh/Jehovah which is his “name” not a mere title….and the “glory” of the heavenly beings is not the same glory that the Creator has, but they are glorious nonetheless as creations of God.
And, yet Jesus in His prayer to the Father, we read in John 17:5:
And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
Yes indeed…’the glory that he had before the world was’…..the same glory he attained upon his ascension to heaven after his spiritual resurrection.…..where Yahweh/Jehovah the Father, was still his God. (Rev 3:12)
Isaiah 43:11 reads:
I, [even] I, [am] the LORD; and beside me [there is] no savior.

This means Jesus IS God, because we read of Him as the Savior of the world (John 4:42).
No!….the fact is that the one who sends the savior (Yahweh/Jehovah, the LORD) is also a savior. It is not a title exclusive to Yahweh. In the past, men whom God used in freeing his people Israel from oppression were called “saviors”.
We read: “Jehovah raised a savior up for the sons of Israel that he might save them, Othniel the son of Kenaz, the younger brother of Caleb.” (Judges 3:9)
Then again we are told: “The sons of Israel began to call to Jehovah for aid. So Jehovah raised up for them a savior, Ehud.” (Judges 3:15)

So Im sorry, but your scriptural references do not hold up under scrutiny.

Reactions: Spyder

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is nothing more than a pretext to continue in the same confusion, because where there is confusion anyone can invent "clarifications" and so glorify themselves.

The clear reality is evident in the Bible and if we want to be honest to ourselves we must accept it as it is: Jesus is the Son of God; he has a God; he received everything from God ... so we can't invent another different God based on speculation.
Do you beleive you are indwelt by Jesus? Spirit of Christ?

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus definitely claimed to be God… He claimed to be God in the flesh not God the Father.

Every time Jesus said “ your sins are forgiven” He was claiming to be God, as only God can forgive sin.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There has never been a teaching on it anywhere in the Bible. The Jews never saw it anywhere in the entire Old Testament nor anyone in the New Testament ever taught it. The Catholics who invented this nonsense have used only about 8 verses that they have to piece together from statements that are scattered all over the New Testament. One should think if such nonsense was true and important that it would have been taught by someone. And it is not. Only in the minds of Catholics who cannot explain it.

Why are you here on a Christian forum, and claim to be a Christian in your avatar, if you do not believe Jesus Christ is One Person in the 3 Person GODHEAD of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit?

Your trying to say there is no Scripture support of mention of all Three is certainly a LIE; so is your LIE that the Old Testament lacks mention of The Son also representing part of The Godhead...

Matt 28:19
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
KJV

I count THREE PERSONS in That Godhead there which Jesus said, "the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost". Why then would you lie that there is no such Bible doctrine as the Trinity of The Godhead?

By the way, the PROTESTANT CHURCH also believes in the TRIUNE nature of the 3 Persons of The Godhead. So the origin of the Trinity is... from The Bible, and NOT just a Catholic doctrine they started. The word Trinity simply means 'three'.

Your false statements only reveal doubt about you being an actual Christian, simply because you are heeding doctrines of the Jews while not being very familiar with New Testament Bible Scripture and Christian doctrine.

Matt 1:21-23
21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call His name
JESUS: for He shall save His people from their sins.
22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,
"Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel", which being interpreted is, God with us.
KJV

That above in red is about Jesus of Nazareth, The Christ, quoting the below prophecy from the Book of Isaiah, which is OLD TESTAMENT in case you didn't know!

Isa 7:14
14 Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign;
Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
KJV

Immanuel means - 'with us is God'; that is one of Lord Jesus Christ's Titles.

Isa 9:6-7
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
KJV

That again is about Jesus Christ, note He is to be called there, "The mighty God, The everlasting Father"! That makes Jesus Christ CO-EQUAL with GOD The Father.

ALL... true Christians believe what those Bible Scriptures say as written.

ALL... antichrists reject those Bible Scriptures as written.

Last edited:

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are you here on a Christian forum, and claim to be a Christian in your avatar, if you do not believe Jesus Christ is One Person in the 3 Person GODHEAD of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit?

Your trying to say there is no Scripture support of mention of all Three is certainly a LIE; so is your LIE that the Old Testament lacks mention of The Son also representing part of The Godhead...

baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
KJV

I count THREE PERSONS in That Godhead there which Jesus said, "the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost". Why then would you lie that there is no such Bible doctrine as the Trinity of The Godhead?

By the way, the PROTESTANT CHURCH also believes in the TRIUNE nature of the 3 Persons of The Godhead. So the origin of the Trinity is... from The Bible, and NOT just a Catholic doctrine they started. The word Trinity simply means 'three'.

Your false statements only reveal doubt about you being an actual Christian, simply because you are heeding doctrines of the Jews while not being very familiar with New Testament Bible Scripture and Christian doctrine.

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for He shall save His people from their sins.
22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,
"Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel", which being interpreted is, God with us.
KJV

That above in red is about Jesus of Nazareth, The Christ, quoting the below prophecy from the Book of Israel, which is OLD TESTAMENT in case you didn't know!

Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
KJV

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
KJV

That again is about Jesus Christ, note He is to be called there, "The mighty God, The everlasting Father"! That makes Jesus Christ CO-EQUAL with GOD The Father.

I was speaking with someone and asked them, who is the savior… they said Jesus.

Then I posted…

Isaiah 43:11
I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour

Creates quite the quagmire if one doesn’t believe Jesus is God.

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We see….

Psalm 22 is the prophecy of Jesus Christ. Jesus fulfilled the prophecy. Jesus was teaching from the cross that He was the One which was prophesied to come.​
You didn’t answer the question….who was Jesus praying to? Himself?
John 10:30-33
30 I and my Father are one.
31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. KJV
How are God and his son “one”? Does it really mean that they are one person? Or is there another way to understand this “oneness”?
John 17:20-23…
”I make request, not concerning these only, but also concerning those putting faith in me through their word, 21 so that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in union with me and I am in union with you, that they also may be in union with us, so that the world may believe that you sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you have given me, in order that they may be one just as we are one. 23 I in union with them and you in union with me, in order that they may be perfected into one, so that the world may know that you sent me and that you loved them just as you loved me.”

There is way more scripture that argues against what you support, rather than agrees with it.
1 John 5:7
7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. KJV
You should know that this is a spurious verse not written in any English translation apart from the pro-trinitarian KJV and its derivatives. Look it up…it says….
“For there are three that testify: the Spirit and the water and the blood; and these three agree. (ESV)
There is no trinity there….
Titus 2:13
13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; KJV
Read with Greek phrasing it says….”the glorious appearing of the great God and of our Saviour Jesus Christ“. Was Christ the image of his God…a reflection of all that his Father was in human form?
In this scripture, two distinct persons, Jehovah God and Jesus Christ, are mentioned. Throughout the Holy Scriptures Jehovah and Jesus are never identified as being the same individual.
1 Tim 3:16
16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. KJV
Or as it is correctly translated…
”Indeed, the sacred secret of this godly devotion is admittedly great: ‘[he or who] was made manifest in flesh, was declared righteous in spirit, appeared to angels, was preached about among nations, was believed upon in the world, was received up in glory.’”
There is no “God” in the Greek. It is speaking about “godliness” or “godly devotion”…not “God”. It is a reference to Jesus as the one who was “made manifest in flesh, was declared righteous in spirit, appeared to angels, was preached about among nations, was believed upon in the world, was received up in glory.’”
John 1:1-14
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
...(continued) ...
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. KJV
Read it in Greek…and see that the Word was with “ho theos” (Yahweh) but the Word was just “theos” (a divine personage) and it was “the Word who became flesh”…..not “ho theos”.
He is the the one whose glory three of his apostles beheld at his transfiguration….”and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father…..they knew he wasn’t God, but his glory came from his Father.
Jesus definitely claimed to be God… He claimed to be God in the flesh not God the Father.

Every time Jesus said “ your sins are forgiven” He was claiming to be God, as only God can forgive sin.
There is only “God the Father” in the Bible…but not once will we see written “God the Son” or “God the Holy Spirit”. If you know of such verse please post them, not ambiguous verses that have the trinity read into them by suggestion. Such an important foundational doctrine has to have direct statements, not implied ideas forced into scripture.

When Jesus healed the paralytic, saying that the man’s sins were forgiven…..we see in the scriptures that it was the Pharisees who said “who can forgive sins but God alone?”…but Jesus answered them…
”Which is easier, to say, “Your sins are forgiven you,” or to say, “Get up and walk”? But in order for you to know that the Son of man has authority on the earth to forgive sins—’ he said to the paralyzed man: ‘I say to you, Get up and pick up your little bed and be on your way home.’” (Luke 5:20-24)

Who has to give the son “authority” to do anything if he is God? (Matt 28:18)

I was speaking with someone and asked them, who is the savior… they said Jesus.

Then I posted…

Isaiah 43:11
I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour

Creates quite the quagmire if one doesn’t believe Jesus is God.
The “quagmire” is created by this trying to make scripture say what it never did…..

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

That is true….but as it was in the days when Jesus walked the earth…is it the pot calling the kettle, black?
Is it those who are putting two other equal “gods” in place of the Father, who are thus breaking the first Commandment? (Exodus 20:3):

Last edited:

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

KJV

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call His name
JESUS: for He shall save His people from their sins.
KJV

That above in red is about Jesus of Nazareth, The Christ, quoting the below prophecy from the Book of Israel, which is OLD TESTAMENT in case you didn't know!

KJV

KJV

There's no lie from me. It's not taught anywhere. Look at your post above. You're using pieces (in your case 4 different sections of Scripture) that are statements scattered all over the New and Old Testament.

There has never been a teaching on it anywhere in the Bible. The Jews never saw it anywhere in the entire Old Testament nor anyone in the New Testament ever taught it. The Catholics who invented this nonsense have used only about 8 verses that they have to piece together from statements that are scattered all over the New Testament. One should think if such nonsense was true and important that it would have been taught by someone. And it is not. Only in the minds of Catholics who cannot explain it.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once again, God's Word as written clears up any confusion about Jesus Christ's place as a Person in the triune GODHEAD...

Heb 1:1-3
1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son, Whom He hath appointed heir of all things, by Whom also He made the worlds;

Who being the brightness of His glory, and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
KJV

1 Cor 15:24-28
24 Then cometh the end, when He shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when He shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.

25 For He must reign, till He hath put all enemies under His feet.

26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

27 For He hath put all things under His feet. But when He saith, all things are put under Him, it is manifest that He is excepted, Which did put all things under Him.

28 And when all things shall be subdued unto Him, then shall the Son also Himself be subject unto Him That put all things under Him, that God may be all in all.
KJV

In the above, Apostle Paul reveals more than one Person in The Godhead. The Father was not born in the flesh to die on the cross; that was The Son's duty. Yet it in no way meant that The Son stopped being a Person in The Godhead. Likewise, when Jesus returns to reign with the "rod of iron" over all nations, putting all enemies under His feet, The Father is excepted in that reign like Paul says. Then when that future reign by Jesus Christ and His elect is over after the 'thousand years", then Jesus The Son will be subject unto The Father, that God may be all in all. That means the return of the FULL GODHEAD back to this earth.

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should know that this is a spurious verse not written in any English translation apart from the pro-trinitarian KJV and its derivatives. Look it up…it says….
“For there are three that testify: the Spirit and the water and the blood; and these three agree. (ESV)

The “quagmire” is created by this trying to make scripture say what it never did…..
Ok…. Let’s look it up…

1st Jn 5:7-8:

SCRIPTURE
KJV
(King James Version)​
NIV
(New International Version)​
NASB
(New American Standard Bible)​
1st Jn 5:7-87 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. (KJV)
7 For there are three that testify:
8 the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement. (NIV)
*(And similarly in all newer Bible versions)
7 And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is the truth.
8 For there are three that bear witness, the Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement. (NASB)

Latin Manuscripts: There are between 10,000 extant (existing) Latin manuscripts, 29 of them don't have it, all the rest of the 10,000 of them that contain the verse do have the key words.
Sirac Version: The Sirac version also has them.
German Bibles: As well, all pre-Luther German Bibles have the verse. Martin Luther then omitted it as he based his Bible on Erasmus' corrupt 2ndedition manuscript which does not contain the verse. Two years after that, the German Bibles put it back in. Then in 1956 to the present time it has once again been omitted.
Greek Texts: There are only six to eight Texts out of the some 5,000 extant Greek Texts that do not have the key words in the verse!
Perhaps one of the most telling proofs that the verse was included in the original manuscripts is evidenced by the writings of one of the early Church Fathers - Cyprian, who in his writing: "Treatises" found in The Ante-Nicene Christian Library (5:423): included a quote from 1st John 5:7. In the verse quote from Cyprian he writes: "...and again it is written of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy spirit, 'And these three are one' "

Cyprian died in A.D. 258, some one-hundred years before the compilation of the corrupt Sinaiticus and Vaticanus manuscripts from which all the newer Bible versions are based upon. And his (Cyprian's) quote of 1st John 5:7 supports the King James Bible version's inclusion of the key words and opposes the newer Bible versions in their omission of them!

• SYRIAC Version: The Syriac version of the New testament Scriptures is the oldest in its various forms: the "Peshitto" (2nd century), and the "Curetonian Syriac" (3rd century). Both are older than any Greek Manuscript in existence, and both contain these twelve verses. So with the "Philoxenian" (5thcentury) and the "Jerusalem" (5th century).
  • The LATIN Versions: Jerome (A. D. 382), who had access to Greek Manuscripts older than any now extant, includes these twelve verses; but this Version (known as the Vulgate) was only a revision of the VETUS ITALA, which is believed to belong to the 2nd century, and contains these verses.
  • The GOTHIC Version: (A. D. 350) contains them.
  • The EGYPTIAN Versions: the 'Memphitic' (or Lower Egyptian, less properly called "Coptic"), belonging to 4th or 5th century, contains them; as does the'Thebaic' (or Upper Egyptian, less properly called the "Sahidic"), belonging to 3rd century.
  • The ARMENIAN: (5th century), The ETHIOPIC: (4th - 7th century), and The GEORGIAN: (6th century) also bear witness to the genuineness of these verses.
This brings us to the early writings of the Church Fathers: Whatever may be their value (or otherwise) as to doctrine and interpretation yet, in determining actual words, or their form, or sequence, their evidence, even by an allusion, as to whether a verse or verses existed or not in their day, is more valuable than even manuscripts or Versions.

There are nearly a hundred ecclesiastical writers older than the oldest of our Greek codices; while between A. D. 300 and A. D. 600 there are about two hundred more, and they all refer to these twelve verses.

• PAPIAS: (about A. D. 100) refers to v. 18 (as stated by Eusebius, Hist. Ecc 3, 39).
  • JUSTIN MARTYR: (A.D. 151) quotes v. 20 (Apol. I. c. 45).
  • IRENAEUS: (A. D. 180) quotes and remarks on v. 19 (Adv. Hoer. lib. iii. c. x.).
  • HIPPOLYTUS: (A. D. 190 - 227) quotes vv. 17-19 (Lagarde's ed., 1858, p. 74).
  • VINCENTIUS: (A.D. 256) quoted two verses at the seventh Council of Carthage, held under Cyprian.
  • The ACTA PILATI: (2nd century) quotes vv. 15, 16, 17, 18 (Tischendorf's ed., 1853, pp. 243, 351).
  • The APOSTOLICAL CONSTITUTIONS: (3rd or 4th centuries) quotes vv. 16, 17, 18.
  • EUSEBIUS: (A.D. 325) discusses these verses, as quoted by Marinus from a lost part of his History.
  • APHRAARTES: (A.D. 337), a Syrian bishop, quoted vv. 16 -18 in his first Homily (Dr. Wright's ed., 1869, i., p. 21).
  • AMBROSE: (A. D. 374 - 97), Archbishop of Milan, freely quotes vv.15 (four times), 16, 17, 18 (three times), and v.20 (once).
  • CHRYSOSTOM: (A. D. 400) refers to v. 9; and states that vv. 19, 20 are "the end of the Gospel".
  • JEROME: (born 331, died 420) includes these twelve verses in his Latin translation; besides quoting vv. 9 and 14 in his other writings.
  • AUGUSTINE: (Fl. A.D. 395 - 430) more than quotes them. He discusses them as being the work of the Evangelist MARK, and says that they were publicly read in the churches.
  • NESTORIUS: (5th century) quotes V. 20, and:
  • CYRIL of ALEXANDRIA: (A.D. 430) accepts the quotation.
  • VICTOR of ANTIOCH: (A.D. 425) confutes the opinion of Eusebius, by referring to very many Manuscripts which he had seen, and so had satisfied himself that the last twelve verses were recorded in them.

• Love

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The book of Matthew states Jesus had the ability to forgive sins. It does not say anything about God.

Matthew 9:6
But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins,

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's no lie from me. It's not taught anywhere. Look at your post above. You're using pieces (in your case 4 different sections of Scripture) that are statements scattered all over the New and Old Testament.

Still in DENIAL of New Testament doctrine per The New Testament Scripture, that's all that above is, just a repeat of your previous denial posts.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The book of Matthew states Jesus had the ability to forgive sins. It does not say anything about God.

Matthew 9:6
But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins,

... more of your continued... DENIAL of relevant Bible Scripture about Jesus Christ as God per New Testament Scripture I showed.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still in DENIAL of New Testament doctrine per The New Testament Scripture, that's all that above is, just a repeat of your previous denial posts.
This one is really hard to answer isn't it? I mean there really is not even one place in the entire Bible where it's taught using a whole section meaning a chapter or even a couple paragraphs.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This one is really hard to answer isn't it? I mean there really is not even one place in the entire Bible where it's taught using a whole section meaning a chapter or even a couple paragraphs.

It's very easy for me, only one need do is STICK to what The Bible Scriptures declare as written... . No one needs a full chapter that declares Jesus Christ as Immanuel, with us is God, come in the flesh. All that is needed is to STOP listening to Satan's servants, and instead heed what God said in His Word of Truth...

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call His name JESUS: for He shall save His people from their sins.
23 "Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel", which being interpreted is, God with us.
KJV

14 Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
KJV

6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
KJV

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ok…. Let’s look it up…

1st Jn 5:7-8:

SCRIPTURE
KJV
(King James Version)​
NIV
(New International Version)​
NASB
(New American Standard Bible)​
1st Jn 5:7-87 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. (KJV)
7 For there are three that testify:
8 the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement. (NIV)
*(And similarly in all newer Bible versions)
7 And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is the truth.
8 For there are three that bear witness, the Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement. (NASB)

Perhaps one of the most telling proofs that the verse was included in the original manuscripts is evidenced by the writings of one of the early Church Fathers - Cyprian, who in his writing: "Treatises" found in The Ante-Nicene Christian Library (5:423): included a quote from 1st John 5:7. In the verse quote from Cyprian he writes: "...and again it is written of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy spirit, 'And these three are one' "

Cyprian died in A.D. 258, some one-hundred years before the compilation of the corrupt Sinaiticus and Vaticanus manuscripts from which all the newer Bible versions are based upon. And his (Cyprian's) quote of 1st John 5:7 supports the King James Bible version's inclusion of the key words and opposes the newer Bible versions in their omission of them!

• SYRIAC Version: The Syriac version of the New testament Scriptures is the oldest in its various forms: the "Peshitto" (2nd century), and the "Curetonian Syriac" (3rd century). Both are older than any Greek Manuscript in existence, and both contain these twelve verses. So with the "Philoxenian" (5thcentury) and the "Jerusalem" (5th century).
  • The LATIN Versions: Jerome (A. D. 382), who had access to Greek Manuscripts older than any now extant, includes these twelve verses; but this Version (known as the Vulgate) was only a revision of the VETUS ITALA, which is believed to belong to the 2nd century, and contains these verses.
  • The GOTHIC Version: (A. D. 350) contains them.
  • The EGYPTIAN Versions: the 'Memphitic' (or Lower Egyptian, less properly called "Coptic"), belonging to 4th or 5th century, contains them; as does the'Thebaic' (or Upper Egyptian, less properly called the "Sahidic"), belonging to 3rd century.
  • The ARMENIAN: (5th century), The ETHIOPIC: (4th - 7th century), and The GEORGIAN: (6th century) also bear witness to the genuineness of these verses.
This brings us to the early writings of the Church Fathers: Whatever may be their value (or otherwise) as to doctrine and interpretation yet, in determining actual words, or their form, or sequence, their evidence, even by an allusion, as to whether a verse or verses existed or not in their day, is more valuable than even manuscripts or Versions.

There are nearly a hundred ecclesiastical writers older than the oldest of our Greek codices; while between A. D. 300 and A. D. 600 there are about two hundred more, and they all refer to these twelve verses.

• PAPIAS: (about A. D. 100) refers to v. 18 (as stated by Eusebius, Hist. Ecc 3, 39).
  • JUSTIN MARTYR: (A.D. 151) quotes v. 20 (Apol. I. c. 45).
  • IRENAEUS: (A. D. 180) quotes and remarks on v. 19 (Adv. Hoer. lib. iii. c. x.).
  • HIPPOLYTUS: (A. D. 190 - 227) quotes vv. 17-19 (Lagarde's ed., 1858, p. 74).
  • VINCENTIUS: (A.D. 256) quoted two verses at the seventh Council of Carthage, held under Cyprian.
  • The ACTA PILATI: (2nd century) quotes vv. 15, 16, 17, 18 (Tischendorf's ed., 1853, pp. 243, 351).
  • The APOSTOLICAL CONSTITUTIONS: (3rd or 4th centuries) quotes vv. 16, 17, 18.
  • EUSEBIUS: (A.D. 325) discusses these verses, as quoted by Marinus from a lost part of his History.
  • APHRAARTES: (A.D. 337), a Syrian bishop, quoted vv. 16 -18 in his first Homily (Dr. Wright's ed., 1869, i., p. 21).
  • AMBROSE: (A. D. 374 - 97), Archbishop of Milan, freely quotes vv.15 (four times), 16, 17, 18 (three times), and v.20 (once).
  • CHRYSOSTOM: (A. D. 400) refers to v. 9; and states that vv. 19, 20 are "the end of the Gospel".
  • JEROME: (born 331, died 420) includes these twelve verses in his Latin translation; besides quoting vv. 9 and 14 in his other writings.
  • AUGUSTINE: (Fl. A.D. 395 - 430) more than quotes them. He discusses them as being the work of the Evangelist MARK, and says that they were publicly read in the churches.
  • NESTORIUS: (5th century) quotes V. 20, and:
  • CYRIL of ALEXANDRIA: (A.D. 430) accepts the quotation.
  • VICTOR of ANTIOCH: (A.D. 425) confutes the opinion of Eusebius, by referring to very many Manuscripts which he had seen, and so had satisfied himself that the last twelve verses were recorded in them.
Please tell this to someone who is remotely interested in anything the “church fathers” wrote, especially in view of the fact that Christ and his apostles foretold that an “apostasy” would overtake Christianity like “weeds” deliberately sown by an enemy in a farmer’s “field” to destroy his crop. They said that it was “already at work” whilst the apostles were still alive, but that they acted as a restraint until it was time to let it grow……it did with a vengeance with the death of the last apostle John at the end of the first century….so anything written after than I take with many grains of salt, as we see “Christianity” degenerate into what eventually became “The Roman Catholic church.“….an ugly counterfeit that did not resemble what Christ began at all. All false Christianity grew from the trunk of that corrupted, power hungry ‘tree’. Christ has never set foot in that building or in any of the buildings that teach her lies. (Matt 7:21-23; Matt 15:7-9)

Status
Not open for further replies.