Did Jesus claim to be God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The New Testament Jews never accused him of being God. No where did they ever accuse him of that. They accused him of being the son of God... the Messiah.

Incorrect.

Moses said to God that the children of Israel will ask the name of the one who sent him, then asked what name shall he tell them: "Καὶ εἶπε Μωυσῆς πρὸς τὸν Θεὸν, ἰδοὺ ἐγὼ ἐξελεύσομαι πρὸς τοὺς υἱοὺς ᾿Ισραὴλ, καὶ ἐρῶ πρὸς αὐτοὺς, Θεὸς τῶν πατέρων ἡμῶν ἀπέσταλκέ με πρὸς ὑμᾶς: ἐρωτήσουσί με, τί ὄνομα αὐτῷ; τί ἐρῶ. πρὸς αὐτούς; Καὶ εἶπεν ὁ Θεὸς πρὸς Μωυσῆν, λέγων, ἐγώ εἰμι ὃ "Qu: (I AM THE BEING): καὶ εἶπεν, οὕτως ἐρεῖς τοῖς υἱοῖς Ἰσραὴλ, ὁ Ὧν ἀπέσταλκέ με πρὸς ὑμᾶς (say to the children of Israel THE BEING has sent me to you)." (Ex. 3:13-14)

Fast forward to the scene of Jn. 8:58, where Jesus claimed to be eternal and to have existed before Abraham, but more importantly, He called himself by the ancient title ascribed only to God Himself: "...πρὶν (before) Ἀβραὰμ (Abraham) γενέσθαι ἐγὼ (I) εἰμί (AM)." The Pharisees knew exactly what Jesus meant by this. From their perspective, Jesus said specifically, “I am God.” How do we know this was their interpretation of His words? We know it from their reaction. They responded by attempting to stone Jesus for claiming to be God (an act of blasphemy they considered worthy of death): "ἦραν (picked) οὖν λίθους (stones) ἵνα (to) βάλωσιν (throw) ἐπ' (at) αὐτόν (him): Ἰησοῦς δὲ ἐκρύβη καὶ ἐξῆλθεν ἐκ τοῦ ἱεροῦ," but He escaped them (Jn. 8:59).

Now, how was Jesus existing before Abraham was born? As He's always existed: as the Word with God (ὁ (the) λόγος (Word) ἦν (was) πρὸς τὸν (with) θεόν (God), and at the same time also as God (θεὸς (God) ἦν (was) ὁ (the) λόγος (Word) (Jn. 1:1), the eternal God "Θεὸς αἰώνιος" (Gen. 21:33), and the Word (God) became flesh and dwelt among us (Jn. 1:14).

In Jn. 10:22-36, again the Pharisees understood Jesus was calling Himself God, and they wanted to kill him for it, for they said: "ἀπεκρίθησαν αὐτῷ οἱ Ἰουδαῖοι, Περὶ καλοῦ ἔργου οὐ λιθάζομέν (stone) σε (you) ἀλλὰ περὶ (for) βλασφημίας (blasphemy), καὶ ὅτι σὺ ἄνθρωπος ὢν ποιεῖς (making) σεαυτὸν (yourself) θεόν (God)" (Jn. 10:33), and Jesus didn't deny it because He did as He's God Incarnate.

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Incorrect.

Moses said to God that the children of Israel will ask the name of the one who sent him, then asked what name shall he tell them: "Καὶ εἶπε Μωυσῆς πρὸς τὸν Θεὸν, ἰδοὺ ἐγὼ ἐξελεύσομαι πρὸς τοὺς υἱοὺς ᾿Ισραὴλ, καὶ ἐρῶ πρὸς αὐτοὺς, Θεὸς τῶν πατέρων ἡμῶν ἀπέσταλκέ με πρὸς ὑμᾶς: ἐρωτήσουσί με, τί ὄνομα αὐτῷ; τί ἐρῶ. πρὸς αὐτούς; Καὶ εἶπεν ὁ Θεὸς πρὸς Μωυσῆν, λέγων, ἐγώ εἰμι ὃ "Qu: (I AM THE BEING): καὶ εἶπεν, οὕτως ἐρεῖς τοῖς υἱοῖς Ἰσραὴλ, ὁ Ὧν ἀπέσταλκέ με πρὸς ὑμᾶς (say to the children of Israel THE BEING has sent me to you)." (Ex. 3:13-14)

Fast forward to the scene of Jn. 8:58, where Jesus claimed to be eternal and to have existed before Abraham, but more importantly, He called himself by the ancient title ascribed only to God Himself: "...πρὶν (before) Ἀβραὰμ (Abraham) γενέσθαι ἐγὼ (I) εἰμί (AM)." The Pharisees knew exactly what Jesus meant by this. From their perspective, Jesus said specifically, “I am God.” How do we know this was their interpretation of His words? We know it from their reaction. They responded by attempting to stone Jesus for claiming to be God (an act of blasphemy they considered worthy of death): "ἦραν (picked) οὖν λίθους (stones) ἵνα (to) βάλωσιν (throw) ἐπ' (at) αὐτόν (him): Ἰησοῦς δὲ ἐκρύβη καὶ ἐξῆλθεν ἐκ τοῦ ἱεροῦ," but He escaped them (Jn. 8:59).

Now, how was Jesus existing before Abraham was born? As He's always existed: as the Word with God (ὁ (the) λόγος (Word) ἦν (was) πρὸς τὸν (with) θεόν (God), and at the same time also as God (θεὸς (God) ἦν (was) ὁ (the) λόγος (Word) (Jn. 1:1), the eternal God "Θεὸς αἰώνιος" (Gen. 21:33), and the Word (God) became flesh and dwelt among us (Jn. 1:14).

In Jn. 10:22-36, again the Pharisees understood Jesus was calling Himself God, and they wanted to kill him for it, for they said: "ἀπεκρίθησαν αὐτῷ οἱ Ἰουδαῖοι, Περὶ καλοῦ ἔργου οὐ λιθάζομέν (stone) σε (you) ἀλλὰ περὶ (for) βλασφημίας (blasphemy), καὶ ὅτι σὺ ἄνθρωπος ὢν ποιεῖς (making) σεαυτὸν (yourself) θεόν (God)" (Jn. 10:33), and Jesus didn't deny it because He did as He's God Incarnate.
Trinitarians also commonly say that Jesus claimed to be God, and for that reason the Jews hated him and tried to kill him, but that is not the case because Jesus had been stating in various ways that he was the Messiah, and that is what the Jews were upset about. The Jews all throughout their history made a clear distinction between “God” and the “Messiah” and they did not think the Messiah was going to be God or a “Person” in a triune God. The Jews would not have considered Jesus a threat, but insane if he had walked around saying he was God.

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Jews would not have considered Jesus a threat, but insane if he had walked around saying he was God.

I gave you verses where Jesus called Himself God twice and each time the Pharisees said they'd stone Him for blasphemy, because He was calling Himself God. God became human and died for us, He is our Messiah.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Incorrect.

There's no teaching on this anywhere in the Bible. Not in the New or Old Testament. Nowhere do we find a couple of paragraphs or a chapter clearly telling us Jesus is God. One would think if something this big and this important was true that somebody would have taught it. And yet nobody did. Nowhere. All you guys put in front of me are pieces of verses that are scattered all over the Bible and all of them are either a bad translation or not understood how the verse was used in the culture of that time. For an example I will do John 10:33 that you mention...

John 10:33
Had the translators rendered the Greek text in verse 33 as they did in verse 34 and 35, then it would read, "...you, a man, claim to be a god." In the next two verses, John 10:34 and 35, the exact same word (theos, without the article) is translated as "god" and not "God." In Acts 12:22, Herod is called theos without the article, so the translators translate it "god." The same is true in Acts 28:6, when Paul had been bitten by a viper and the people expected him to die. When he did not die, "...they changed their minds and said he was a god." Since theos has no article, and since it is clear from the context that the reference is not about the true God, theos is translated "a god." It is a general principle that theos without the article should be "a god," or "divine." Since there is no evidence that Jesus was teaching that he was God anywhere in the context, and since the Pharisees would have never believed that this man was somehow Yahweh, it makes no sense that they would be saying that he said he was "God." Now since Jesus was clearly teaching that he was sent by God and was doing God's work. Thus, it makes perfect sense that the Pharisees would say he was claiming to be "a god" or "divine."

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I gave you verses where Jesus called Himself God twice and each time the Pharisees said they'd stone Him for blasphemy, because He was calling Himself God. God became human and died for us, He is our Messiah.
John 1:14
The "Word" is the wisdom, plan or purpose of God and the Word became flesh as Jesus Christ. Thus, Jesus Christ was the Word in the flesh, which is shortened to the Word for ease of speaking. Scripture is also the Word in writing. Everyone agrees that the Word in writing had a beginning. So did the Word in the flesh. In fact, the Greek text of Matthew 1:18 says that very clearly: "Now the beginning of Jesus Christ was in this manner..." The modern Greek texts all read "beginning" in Matthew 1:18. Birth is considered an acceptable translation since the beginning of some things is birth, and so most translations read birth. Nevertheless, the proper understanding of Matthew 1:18 is the beginning of Jesus Christ. In the beginning God had a plan, a purpose, which became flesh when Jesus was conceived.

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nowhere do we find a couple of paragraphs or a chapter clearly telling us Jesus is God.

I gave you two scenes where Jesus called Himself God, and each time the Pharisees said they'd stone Him for blasphemy.

• Love

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I gave you two scenes where Jesus called Himself God, and each time the Pharisees said they'd stone Him for blasphemy.
And I gave you my understanding of such nonsense. Here's John 8:58 that you also quoted...

John 8:58
At the last super, the disciples were trying to find out who would deny the Christ. They said literally, "Not I am, Lord" Matthew 26:22, 25. No one would say the disciples were trying to deny they were God because they were using the phrase "Not I am." "I am" was a common way of designating oneself and it did not mean you were claiming to be God. The argument is made that because Jesus was "before" Abraham, Jesus must be God. Jesus figuratively existed in Abraham's time. He did not actually physically exist as a person, but rather he existed in the mind of God as God's plan for the redemption of man. In order for the Trinitarian argument that Jesus' "I am" statement in John 8:58 makes him God, his statement must be equivalent with God's "I am" statement in Exodus 3:14. The two statements are very different. The Greek phrase in John does mean "I am." The Hebrew phrase in Exodus means "to be" or "to become." God was saying "I will be what I will be."

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sa 43:10-11
10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour. (KJV)
What would have happened if God hadn’t sent Jesus?
John 3:16 says, “For God loved the world so much, that He gave His only-begotten son.”

If God hadn’t sent him, Jesus couldn’t have come.

John 10:30-33
30 I and my Father are one.
First off, my cousin, you didn’t answer my question: exactly Who was Jesus praying to, calling Him “My God, my God…”?

Now, to answer:
Please read John 17:21,22…again, Jesus praying to his Father, his God:”…that they [Jesus’ followers] may be one, just as we are one.

Remember, there was no indefinite article (“a”, or “an”) in Greek, as we have in English. (So it must be asked, “Did the Jews mean Jesus was making himself “the God”, or “a god”?)
With that in mind, please read the rest of that incident @ John 10, where Jesus quoted from Psalm 86. Ask yourself, How could Jesus apply that verse, if the Jews meant the God? It wouldn’t apply, would it?

Have a good evening, my cousin.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How about we take that from the Jewish Tanakh since it was written in Hebrew….?

Pease note what what the meaning of God’s name is here in the Hebrew…..It is not a statement of his existence, but a statement his intentions......of what he would “BE” or “BECOME” in connection with them. He was about to reveal himself as a liberator of his people in spectacular fashion, such as they had never experienced him before.

13 And Moses said to God, "Behold I come to the children of Israel, and I say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, 'What is His name?' what shall I say to them?"יגוַיֹּ֨אמֶר משֶׁ֜ה אֶל־הָֽאֱלֹהִ֗ים הִנֵּ֨ה אָֽנֹכִ֣י בָא֘ אֶל־בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵל֒ וְאָֽמַרְתִּ֣י לָהֶ֔ם אֱלֹהֵ֥י אֲבֽוֹתֵיכֶ֖ם שְׁלָחַ֣נִי אֲלֵיכֶ֑ם וְאָֽמְרוּ־לִ֣י מַה־שְּׁמ֔וֹ מָ֥ה אֹמַ֖ר אֲלֵהֶֽם:
14 God said to Moses, "Ehyeh asher ehyeh (I will be what I will be)," and He said, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'Ehyeh (I will be) has sent me to you.'"ידוַיֹּ֤אמֶר אֱלֹהִים֙ אֶל־משֶׁ֔ה אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה אֲשֶׁ֣ר אֶֽהְיֶ֑ה וַיֹּ֗אמֶר כֹּ֤ה תֹאמַר֙ לִבְנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה שְׁלָחַ֥נִי אֲלֵיכֶֽם:
15 And God said further to Moses, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'The Lord God of your forefathers, [יְהֹוָ֞ה] the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is My name forever, and this is how I should be mentioned in every generation.”טווַיֹּ֩אמֶר֩ ע֨וֹד אֱלֹהִ֜ים אֶל־משֶׁ֗ה כֹּ֣ה תֹאמַר֘ אֶל־בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵל֒ יְהֹוָ֞ה אֱלֹהֵ֣י אֲבֹֽתֵיכֶ֗ם אֱלֹהֵ֨י אַבְרָהָ֜ם אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִצְחָ֛ק וֵֽאלֹהֵ֥י יַֽעֲקֹ֖ב שְׁלָחַ֣נִי אֲלֵיכֶ֑ם זֶה־שְּׁמִ֣י לְעֹלָ֔ם וְזֶ֥ה זִכְרִ֖י לְדֹ֥ר דֹּֽר:
Fast forward to the scene of Jn. 8:58, where Jesus claimed to be eternal and to have existed before Abraham, but more importantly, He called himself by the ancient title ascribed only to God Himself: "...πρὶν (before) Ἀβραὰμ (Abraham) γενέσθαι ἐγὼ (I) εἰμί (AM)."
There is no connection between Exodus 3:13-15 and John 8:58 unless you subscribe to what Christendom twisted to get these two remote passages to mean the same thing. They do not. Jesus never said “I Am” to indicate that he was God.....ever.

The Pharisees knew exactly what Jesus meant by this. From their perspective, Jesus said specifically, “I am God.” How do we know this was their interpretation of His words? We know it from their reaction. They responded by attempting to stone Jesus for claiming to be God (an act of blasphemy they considered worthy of death): "ἦραν (picked) οὖν λίθους (stones) ἵνα (to) βάλωσιν (throw) ἐπ' (at) αὐτόν (him): Ἰησοῦς δὲ ἐκρύβη καὶ ἐξῆλθεν ἐκ τοῦ ἱεροῦ," but He escaped them (Jn. 8:59).
The fact is, from the Jewish perspective, “calling Jesus his own Father” was enough to try and pin a charge of blasphemy on him…they wanted to do away with him, but calling God his Father never once meant that he was God or his equal. Do you have no understanding of what they were doing? Theybwanted to silence him! A charge of blasphemy would give them that excuse.
Oh dear, here we go again…it’s lies upon lies that you have been taught is truth…..

Jesus existed in heaven with his Father from the “beginning”….since God is eternal, he had no “beginning”, but his son certainly did as he said in Rev 3:14…he is the “beginning of God’s creation”.

Colossians 1:15-17 also confirms that the pre-human Jesus was “the firstborn of ALL creation”…making him part of that creation….the very first being to exist with his Father.…”begotten” as no god could ever be.
He is the “Master Workman” revealed in Prov 8:30-31, working alongside his Father in creation…he is the “us” and “our” in Genesis 1:26.
Read it in Greek and see that they were not saying that he was calling himself God, but that he was claiming that God was his Father.
John 10:31-36…
”Once again the Jews picked up stones to stone him. 32 Jesus replied to them: “I displayed to you many fine works from the Father. For which of those works are you stoning me?” 33 The Jews answered him: “We are stoning you, not for a fine work, but for blasphemy; for you, although being a man, make yourself a god.” [theos] 34 Jesus answered them: “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said: “You are gods”’? [theos] 35 If he called ‘gods’ [theos] those against whom the word of God [ho theos] came—and yet the scripture cannot be nullified— 36 do you say to me whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You blaspheme,’ because I said, ‘I am God’s [ho theos] Son’?

Do you see that the definite article (“ho”) identifies Yahweh in that passage and the lack of it identifies Christ and others (human judges) whom the Father himself called “gods” because they operated under his authority. Jesus too came in the name of his God and made his name known to all his disciples.
John certainly knew who Jesus was talking about and his apostles never said he was “ho theos” but he could be rightly called “theos” because it means….
  1. “a god or goddess, a general name of deities or divinities” (Strongs)

You see that the word by itself can mean any of those things…..but preceded by the definite article (“ho”) it refers only to Yahweh.

Reactions: TheHC

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fact is, from the Jewish perspective, “calling Jesus his own Father” was enough to try and pin a charge of blasphemy on him…they wanted to do away with him, but calling God his Father never once meant that he was God or his equal.
John 5
18For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.

The narrator is saying that by Jesus saying what He was saying He was making Himself equal with God.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
John 5
18For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.
Read it again.....it was the Jews claiming this, not Jesus. Never once did he claim equality with the one he called his God. Even in heaven the Father is still the God of Jesus. (Rev 3:12) Can God have a God?
The narrator is saying that by Jesus saying what He was saying He was making Himself equal with God.
No, he was not. “Calling God his own Father” would be rather ridiculous if he was God.....think about how twisted this all is.....can God call himself his own Father? It’s ridiculous.

Reactions: TheHC

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read it again.....it was the Jews claiming this, not Jesus.
Okay, I read it again: as was stated, it is the narrator saying Jesus was making Himself equal with God.
Same thing Paul said in Philippians 2.
Your conclusion is reached by ignoring evidence. I'm not going to do that. I'd rather not claim to have an answer when there are facts that complicate and trip my answer up than pretend I have accounted for all the evidence.
Never once did he claim equality with the one he called his God.
Well, you'll "forgive" me for taking the narrator of John's Gospel's interpretation of Jesus's Words over your interpretation of Jesus's Words--"making Himself equal with God".
Even in heaven the Father is still the God of Jesus. (Rev 3:12) Can God have a God? No, he was not. “Calling God his own Father” would be rather ridiculous if he was God.....think about how twisted this all is.....can God call himself his own Father? It’s ridiculous.
At this point, I'm not even saying "Jesus is God", because, at the moment, I'm not sure how clear that is; what I am saying is unambiguous is that we are being taught that Jesus has "equality with God" in a sense that no one else ever has had or can have.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, he was not. “Calling God his own Father” would be rather ridiculous if he was God.....think about how twisted this all is.....can God call himself his own Father? It’s ridiculous.
OK, but, again, you're begging the question--ie, "God has a God" and "God having God as His Father" is only "ridiculous" under your assumptions. I'm actually open to those potential conclusions, how ever they might challenge my perspectives. I'm also open to rejecting them if they are not the best explanations.

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what I am saying is unambiguous is that we are being taught that Jesus has "equality with God" in a sense that no one else ever has had or can have.
So, by calling himself “God’s son”, that makes Jesus equal with God?

Then would you say Luke 3:38, where it says Adam was “son of God”, that makes Adam equal with God?

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.