Did Jesus die on Friday?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jan 24, 2022
Redding California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was,(and Is and always will be), the Passover Lamb). Then there is.. the three-day rule, The morning of the third day, was Sunday. simply count back to, Thursday. It all makes sense when you use God's calendar of official days of worship. P.S. this year I watched more than a few people's salutations, saying, "Happy Good Friday". It must mean that they are agnostic. (joke). Jesus come quickly.

Jan 24, 2022
Redding California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Jewish day ran from 6AM to 6PM.

Friday Crucifixion. Day ends Friday at 6PM first day and night.
Saturday day ends at 6PM second day and night
Sunday ends at 6PM
The resurrection takes place anytime after 6PM on Saturday and 6Am on Sunday. to meet three days and nights in the tomb.

I've read as well, debates about Temple Guard versus Roman Guard. Because of the translation of Pilate's order "Go take a guard" Instead of "Here's a guard, take them."

It has to be a Roman Guard. They are only ones that can apply the seal of Caesar on anything. It was a Roman condemnation of death and crucifixion. Must be a Roman Guard. That means the Guard on duty is anywhere between 12 to 20 on duty on location. I lean toward 12. Shifts of four hours on guard and eight to twelve off duty. It also means at times twelve awake. Four on Guard, Four ending their shift and four in preparation of their shift. The Bible says "Some of the Guard went to the Pharisees to plead for them to represent an excuse for the tomb being open and body missing. And if I remember correctly the Pharisee's went to Pilate to plead the guard's fate. If it was a Temple Guard, why would Pilate care? The Roman punishment for falling asleep is death. There is no mention anywhere of four guards being put to death. The death is brutal for the failure. The entire guard removed from duty. The ones dishonored by the failure of the four are encircled by the remaining guard. The four in the middle beaten and their clothing removed. There leather armor and clothes set on fire while the circle closes in on the failed guards. The beating so severe to the verge on unconsciousness, then the bodies thrown on top of the burning clothing and burned to death. Brutal way emphasis .....do not fall asleep.

There is no mention of the Temple Guard falling under the same punishment of death. If the Temple had that level of punishment for falling asleep. Someone did a lot of talking to get the Roman Guard not put to death.
First day has no morning, go back a day, then count mornings to 3

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I said above in my post that you quoted, "Oh well, have it your way. I am happy for you to claim that your understanding is right, . . ."

Any further discussion with you is pointless.
That's a cop out Jay and you know it.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That's a cop out Jay and you know it.

No, it is not. I just am not interested in continuing a "I am right, and you are wrong discussion," as we will not progress any further than we are now.

So Good Bye for now.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it is not. I just am not interested in continuing a "I am right, and you are wrong discussion," as we will not progress any further than we are now.

So Good Bye for now.
So then, am I to conclude from your statement that you expected me to hold beliefs that aren't right?
Of course I am right. If I wasn't right I wouldn't believe what I believe.
If something else was true, I would believe that instead. Surely you realize that you do the same thing? Don't you?

I am offended that you think I would affirm concepts that I knew to be in error.
I am also offended by your arrogant assumption that I hadn't studied the subject.
I am offended that you came to discuss a video that you apparently hadn't seen.
I am neither amazed nor amused by your contemptuous ridicule and mockery, a clear sign that you aren't comfortable with your own beliefs.
I am neither amazed nor amused by your unwillingness to examine your own beliefs. You are typical of most religious people.
I am neither amazed nor amused by your exit, which in my view, is a clear manifestation of your exaggerated sense of your own importance.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So then, am I to conclude from your statement that you expected me to hold beliefs that aren't right?
Of course I am right. If I wasn't right I wouldn't believe what I believe.
If something else was true, I would believe that instead. Surely you realize that you do the same thing? Don't you?

I am offended that you think I would affirm concepts that I knew to be in error.
I am also offended by your arrogant assumption that I hadn't studied the subject.
I am offended that you came to discuss a video that you apparently hadn't seen.
I am neither amazed nor amused by your contemptuous ridicule and mockery, a clear sign that you aren't comfortable with your own beliefs.
I am neither amazed nor amused by your unwillingness to examine your own beliefs. You are typical of most religious people.
I am neither amazed nor amused by your exit, which in my view, is a clear manifestation of your exaggerated sense of your own importance.

From the tone of your post above, I am sure that few will want to have a conversation with you on this subject matter.

Now I present what I know is true to you once, twice and a third time. After that I chose to withdraw from the conversation. it is pointless to continue if you, as you have stated in your post above, hold to the premise that ,"Of course I am Right."

Now, I too, have done my own research on the Crucifixion story and have used a spread sheet just like you have to present the four gospels in a chronological order to understand what events took place when such that I could see the respective gospel dovetail into each other.

Your rant above does nothing to endear yourself to me or others on this forum and it is for this reason that I really do not want to further this conversation with you. Please respect my desire to finish/end this conversation with you.

Good Bye.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the tone of your post above, I am sure that few will want to have a conversation with you on this subject matter.

Now I present what I know is true to you once, twice and a third time. After that I chose to withdraw from the conversation. it is pointless to continue if you, as you have stated in your post above, hold to the premise that ,"Of course I am Right."

Now, I too, have done my own research on the Crucifixion story and have used a spread sheet just like you have to present the four gospels in a chronological order to understand what events took place when such that I could see the respective gospel dovetail into each other.

Your rant above does nothing to endear yourself to me or others on this forum and it is for this reason that I really do not want to further this conversation with you. Please respect my desire to finish/end this conversation with you.

Good Bye.
You can end the conversation anytime you want Jay. But you should watch my video "balancing the scales" because you don't use just weights. You think that it is okay for you to insult me, while in return you expect me to be endearing back to you. Your scale doesn't balance Jay.

Last edited:

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd think any time after sundown on Saturday. The women found an empty
tomb while it was still dark.
A normal day back then began with sunrise, whereas a calendar day began
with sunset, and a civil day began at 06:00 am whether the sun was up or
not

The differences between normal days, calendar days, and civil days can be
very confusing when some poor soul is trying to figure out the chronology of
Jesus crucifixion and resurrection.

For example: Jesus predicted he would be in the heart of the earth three
days and three nights. (Matt 12:40) Well; was he talking about normal days
and nights, calendar days and nights, or civil days and nights?

And to make matters even more complicated: no less than eleven passages
in the New Testament verify that Jesus' crucified dead body was restored to
life during the third day rather than after the third day was completely over
and done with.
_

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since Sabbath is on Saturday, and Sabbath was (and is) the day of rest (for both God and man), this is incorrect. Furthermore, Christians made the first day of the week -- Sunday -- the day of Christian worship and rest, because Christ rose on this day. Therefore it is also called "the Lord's Day" (Rev 1;10). Christ Himself gave this day a special significance by waiting for seven days before meeting with Thomas after His resurrection on the following Sunday. He could have appeared the very next day, but Jesus was setting a pattern for Christians. Paul also waited for seven days to meet with the disciples on "the first day of the week" in Troas.
It's not incorrect at all.

1. Dan. 9:27 says Jesus was supposed to die on a Wednesday. And since Jesus said He would be dead for 3 full days and nights, that brings His resurrection time to Saturday.

2. Jesus gave no special significance to Sunday at all, because the NT scriptures continually refer to it as "the first day of the week". The fact that the NT continues to refer to it without a name shows there is nothing special about it. On the other hand, the last day of the week is constantly referred to as "the Sabbath". It doesn't say "the Jewish Sabbath" or "the day that was formerly known as the Sabbath".

3. Rev. 1:10 is referring to the last year of the Tribulation when God begins to collectively punish unrepentant people in this world for their sins. A true bible student can know this because plenty of OT books like Joel refers to it. "Christians" would know this if they didn't reject the authority of the OT.

Contrary to what people believe, that passage is not referring to a day of the week whatsoever. And even if it did, it still wouldn't be Sunday because Jesus Himself said He is Lord of the Sabbath(Mar. 2:28). The Sabbath is His day, not any of the other 6 days.

4. Man does not possess the authority to make anything holy, and you won't be able to find any scripture that support this heresy, try as you might to twist Paul's words in Rom. 14. God already consecrated the last day of the week from the very beginning of creation, and He stated in the Decalogue that the 7th day is to be preserved as it was created. You will not find any scripture that says God changed His mind on that.

5. No true Christian ever sanctified Sunday as the "Christian Sabbath" because Acts shows Paul keeping the Sabbath as God commanded it in the Decalogue. It's interesting how Protestants talk so much about Catholics elevating their traditions above scripture when they do the exact same thing, even though most of their customs, doctrines, and habit of rejecting scripture came from the Catholics.

Plenty of Catholic scholars throughout the last 200-300 years alone have all admitted that there is 0 biblical evidence for a change to Sunday, and that everyone who observers Sunday does so on the Catholic church's authority.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. Dan. 9:27 says Jesus was supposed to die on a Wednesday.
The week spoken of in that passage is seven years rather than seven days.
So half way thru would be 3½ years.

FYI: Prophetic years are shorter than normal years. A prophetic year is 360
days, so 3½ of those kinds of years would be 1,260 days. (cf. Rev 11:3 and
Rev 12:6)

Prophetic years consist of twelve prophetic months, which are a nice even 30
days apiece. For example: 1,260 days make up forty-two such months, e.g.
Rev 11:2, and Rev 13:5
_

Last edited:
Reactions: CadyandZoe

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Did Jesus die of a Friday? Who know for sure? but it doesn't matter which day it was. It was his death that is important not the day of it.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Jesus die of a Friday? Who know for sure? but it doesn't matter which day it was. It was his death that is important not the day of it.
Of course, this is true. I explored this issue in order to help Jesus-followers, myself included to gain confidence in the New Testament. I am more confident now, having explored the issue to conclusion, that the New Testament is without error.

But you have put your finger on the most important part. Thanks. :)

Reactions: amadeus

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was,(and Is and always will be), the Passover Lamb). Then there is.. the three-day rule, The morning of the third day, was Sunday. simply count back to, Thursday. It all makes sense when you use God's calendar of official days of worship. P.S. this year I watched more than a few people's salutations, saying, "Happy Good Friday". It must mean that they are agnostic. (joke). Jesus come quickly.

I agree, come quickly Lord Jesus!
I can't understand why Catholics believe Jesus died on a Friday and rose on a Sunday. By my calculation, this is only one day and two nights in the grave, which is a clear contradiction with the New Testament, which predicts three days and three nights. Sunday itself doesn't count because the central focus of the prediction is the time Jesus would spend in the grave. Just as Jonah spent three days and three nights in the belly of a whale, Jesus would spend three days and three nights in the tomb.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No less than eleven passages in the New Testament attest that Jesus'
crucified dead body was restored to life during the third day rather than
after the third day was completely over and done with.

» Matt 16:21
» Matt 20:17-19
» Matt 17:22-23
» Mark 9:31
» Luke 9:22
» Luke 18:31-33
» Luke 24:1-8
» Luke 24:12-21
» Luke 24:41-46
» Acts 10:39-41
» 1Cor 15:4
_

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, Passover is NOT on any particular day of the week. We can't simply assume that it was.
Hey cady,

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying. If so, I apologize.

John 12:1 says that Jesus arrived at Bethany 6 days before Passover. So, it APPEARS that there was a “particular day of the week” that they started Passover. Are you saying that the starting day of Passover changed every year or over time? I think you are saying that since Passover is based on the Hebrew calendar, from the 15th day of the Hebrew month of Nissan (or Nisan) through the 22nd day, that we could not or do not know the day Jesus celebrated Passover?

Which Day Of The Week Is The Passover Meal?
Passover day is observed on a Saturday, with the Sabbath in conjunction. Friday was a “day of preparation for both the Jewish and Christian festivals” (19:31) as they had marked both Sabbath festivals at that particular time.
When Was Passover At The Time Of Jesus?
During the six hours prior to the passover (19:10 – 16), it took place between 11:30 and 1:30 noon. On Friday, Jesus passed away, according to Mark and John. Passover (Passover Day (15 Nisan) began the following day after the evening before’s Passover meal in Bethlehem.

What Day Of The Week Does Passover Start?

Respectfully, Mary

Last edited:

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 14:12 . . And the first day of Unleavened Bread, when they killed the
Passover, his disciples said unto him: Where wilt thou that we go and
prepare that thou mayest eat the Passover?

That passage can be a bit misleading for folks unaware that the seven-day
feast of Unleavened Bread (a.k.a. Passover) consists of a total of eight days.

The "first day" is when all the lambs are slaughtered and roasted with fire,
ready to eat by sunset; which is when the seven-day part of the feast kicks
off seeing as how the Jews' holy days begin and end with sunset.

In other words: the "first day" isn't a holy day. In point of fact it is a very
busy day because of all the preparations that have to be made for dinner
that night; which includes a witch hunt (so to speak) for any and all
leavened bread in the Jews' homes.

Matt 26:3 . .Then the chief priests and the elders of the people assembled
in the palace of the high priest, whose name was Caiaphas, and they plotted
to arrest Jesus in some sly way and kill him. But not during the Feast-- they
said --or there may be a riot among the people.

They failed to accomplish Jesus' death apart from the Feast.

The fixings for Jesus' Passover were prepared on the day leading up to the
night of his arrest. The Jews prepared for their Passover on the day of his
crucifixion. In other words: Jesus' Passover was prepared a day ahead of
theirs.

He being a prophet in direct contact with God would know the correct date of
the "first day" of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, whereas the Jews'
calculations were vulnerable to human error. Consequently the Jews were
unaware that their religious calendar was running behind that year.

So, as it turned out; Jesus was crucified on what the Jews believed was the
day of preparation, but in reality was one of the seven days of the Feast.

* The Jews' mistake worked to Jesus' advantage. Had their calendar been
correct, then Jesus would've lost an opportunity to share one last sacred
event with his men; something he really wanted to do.

Luke 22:14-15 . .Then, at the proper time, Jesus and the twelve apostles
sat down together at the table. Jesus said: I have looked forward to this
hour with deep longing, anxious to eat this Passover meal with you before
my suffering begins.
_

Reactions: CadyandZoe

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
this year I watched more than a few people's salutations, saying, "Happy Good Friday"
Next to his resurrection, I have to agree that Christ's crucifixion is a very
good cause for celebration because that's when Isa 53:5-6 came to pass.

"He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities:
the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are
healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his
own way; and The Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all."

Below are the smartest sixteen words I've ever spoken.

"God, I know I'm a sinner. I would like to take advantage of your son's
death"

Seeing as how The Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all, then God
couldn't very well refuse my request; now could He.

Rom 5:6-8 . . Christ died for the impious. Very rarely will anyone die for a
righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die.
But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still
sinners, Christ died for us.

Rom 8:31-32 . . What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us,
who can be against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him
up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

The bottom line is: Christ's crucifixion is a get-out-of-Hell-free card. Is that
not something that deserves striking up the band and throwing a party?
_

Reactions: Lambano

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Pearl,

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying. If so, I apologize.

John 12:1 says that Jesus arrived at Bethany 6 days before Passover. So, it APPEARS that there was a “particular day of the week” that they started Passover. Are you saying that the starting day of Passover changed every year or over time? I think you are saying that since Passover is based on the Hebrew calendar, from the 15th day of the Hebrew month of Nissan (or Nisan) through the 22nd day, that we could not or do not know the day Jesus celebrated Passover?

Which Day Of The Week Is The Passover Meal?
Passover day is observed on a Saturday, with the Sabbath in conjunction. Friday was a “day of preparation for both the Jewish and Christian festivals” (19:31) as they had marked both Sabbath festivals at that particular time.
When Was Passover At The Time Of Jesus?
During the six hours prior to the passover (19:10 – 16), it took place between 11:30 and 1:30 noon. On Friday, Jesus passed away, according to Mark and John. Passover (Passover Day (15 Nisan) began the following day after the evening before’s Passover meal in Bethlehem.

What Day Of The Week Does Passover Start?

Respectfully, Mary

The Passover isn't on any particular day of the week. The day of the week changes from year to year.

It's like Christmas, which falls on December 25th each year. Accordingly, December 25th falls on a different day of the week each year. For example, in the year 2021 Christmas fell on a Saturday; In the year 2022 it falls on a Sunday. In other words, the day of the week changes each year.

The same goes for Passover. The Jewish Passover falls on Nissan 15, which is a different day of the week each year.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Passover isn't on any particular day of the week. The day of the week changes from year to year.

It's like Christmas, which falls on December 25th each year. Accordingly, December 25th falls on a different day of the week each year. For example, in the year 2021 Christmas fell on a Saturday; In the year 2022 it falls on a Sunday. In other words, the day of the week changes each year.

The same goes for Passover. The Jewish Passover falls on Nissan 15, which is a different day of the week each year.
Got it. That’s what I thought you were referring to (Nissan 15). However, in Mark and John it indicates that it this all occurred on Thursday (Passover celebrated THAT year), Friday (crucifixion) and Sunday (first day of the week). So other passages in Scripture give us clues as to when Passover was celebrated THAT year. Since it as you say changes every year it seems we know when it happened THAT year.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Pearl,

Should we follow in the footsteps and do what the Apostles taught and practiced? If it has been determined that they taught/practiced Sunday worship (gathering to break bread, worship, etc) then it does matter.

Matt. 28:1; Mark 16:2,9; John 20:1,19- the Gospel writers purposely reveal Jesus’ resurrection and appearances were on Sunday. This is because Sunday had now become the most important day in the life of the Church.

Acts 20:7 – this text shows the apostolic tradition of gathering together to celebrate the Eucharist on Sunday, the “first day of the week.” Luke documents the principle worship was on Sunday because this was one of the departures from the Jewish form of worship.

1 Cor. 16:2 – Paul instructs the Corinthians to make contributions to the churches “on the first day of the week,” which is Sunday. This is because the primary day of Christian worship is Sunday.

2 Thess. 2:15 – we are to hold fast to apostolic tradition, whether it is oral or written. The 2,000 year-old tradition of the Church is that the apostles changed the Sabbath day of worship from Saturday to Sunday.

So it DOES matter that we adhere to what Scripture teaches.