Did Jesus die on Friday?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi all,
For anyone new to this forum, I offer my video explanation of Passion week. Enjoy.

Jesus Crucified Wednesday.

One verse destroys that whole video ( I di dnot watch it)

John 19:31
The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the apostles changed the Sabbath day of worship from Saturday to Sunday.
The covenant that Moses' people agreed upon with God per Exodus,
Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy contains neither rules, requirements,
nor specifications for synagogues. They are a man-made invention.

The same covenant designates sabbath days for ceasing from one's labors--
that's all: no more, no less. The covenant did not, nor does it, designate
sabbath days for worship purposes. It's a man-made custom.
_

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
Keeping in mind that Christ died on the day of Passover as the Lamb of God, the next day was the beginning of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. This was a "high Sabbath" and was actually on Thursday. But since unleavened bread was also to be eaten on the Passover, it is combined with the Feast of Unleavened Bread in some passages.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Got it. That’s what I thought you were referring to (Nissan 15). However, in Mark and John it indicates that it this all occurred on Thursday (Passover celebrated THAT year), Friday (crucifixion) and Sunday (first day of the week). So other passages in Scripture give us clues as to when Passover was celebrated THAT year. Since it as you say changes every year it seems we know when it happened THAT year.

@Ronald Nolette @Marymog @Jay Ross @Pearl

Mark and John don't mention Thursday, Friday or any other day of the week by name as you suggest. These are Roman names for days of the week. Also, Jewish culture, contrary to the Romans, begins the day when the sun goes down -- from evening to evening. But while Mark and Luke do not refer to the days of the week according to their Roman names, they refer to the last day of the week as a Sabbath day. As you may know, God instituted a weekly Sabbath, but you might not know that he also instituted other Sabbath days corresponding to the Jewish festivals.

The original passion week took place during the Jewish festival of "Unleavened Bread." This festival is seven days long and contains a day of holy convocation (Sabbath, or High Holy Day) once on the first day of the festival and again on the last day of the festival. Passover day precedes the Feast of Unleavened Bread, and for this reason, the Feast of Unleavened bread came to be known as Passover week or simply "Passover." The day of Passover and the Feast of Unleavened bread combine to form an eight day "festival." Mark mentions them together in the following passage.

Mark 14:1
Now the Passover and Unleavened Bread were two days away; and the chief priests and the scribes were seeking how to seize Him by stealth and kill Him;

Passover and Unleavened Bread were celebrated one after the other in succession. For this reason, during the time of Jesus, Passover was known as "the first day of Unleavened Bread.

Mark 14:12
On the first day of Unleavened Bread, when the Passover lamb was being sacrificed, His disciples *said to Him, “Where do You want us to go and prepare for You to eat the Passover?”

Follow me so far? :)

The Jewish festival of Unleavened Bread combined with the Jewish Passover is eight days running. And the Festival of Unleavened Bread contains two Sabbath days, one at the beginning and one at the end. During that week, the Jews also observed the weekly Sabbath. Thus, except in rare cases, the Festival of Unleavened bread contains THREE sabbath days, two for the Festival itself and one for the weekly Sabbath. Leviticus 23:4-8

Our challenge, as 21th century Bible students is to ascertain which particular Sabbath day is in view in any particular passage of scripture. During the time of Jesus, the weekly sabbath always fell on a Saturday. But since the Festival of Unleavened Bread begins on a different day of the week each year, then the Sabbaths associated with Unleavened Bread fall on different days of the week each year.

Since the Passover comes a day before the first High Holy Day of Unleavened Bread, it is also known as Preparation Day. John 19:14, John 19:31, Mark 15:42, Exodus 12:15. Passover falls on the 14th day of the month, no matter what day of week it might be. Jesus ate the Passover with his disciples on the evening of Nissan 14. He was arrested that night. The following day was also Nissan 14, because remember, the Jewish day begins in the evening and continues through until the evening of the next day. Jesus was crucified on Nissan 14, Passover day, which is also the day of Preparation for the High Holy Day, which began at sundown. The Jews did not want the body of Jesus to remain on the cross after sundown, Nissan 15.

Jesus was in the tomb before sundown, but the late hour didn't allow time for the women to prepare the body of Jesus for burial. The next day was Nissan 15, a high holy day, which also didn't allow the women to prepare the body of Jesus. Nissan 16, which came a day before the weekly sabbath, afforded time for the women to buy the spices and get them ready for the tomb. Nissan 17 was a weekly sabbath and by this time, Jesus had been in the tomb for three days. The next day, Nissan 18, the women arrive at the tomb, prepared to properly bury Jesus when they discovered that the tomb was empty.

In other words, while Jesus was in the tomb, two different Sabbath days occurred, The High Holy Day of Nissan 15 and the weekly Sabbath of Nissan 17. Thus, Jesus spent three days in the tomb just as he said. Nissan 15, 16 and 17. The empty tomb was discovered on Nissan 18, Sunday Morning by our reckoning.

Reactions: amadeus

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One verse destroys that whole video ( I di dnot watch it)

John 19:31
[For a discussion of the preparation day, see my answer to Mary.]

I make videos because people don't like long posts. After many years of posting online I decided to use the visual medium to explain complicated ideas. But lately I have wondered whether to stop making the videos, considering the responses I get. May I ask, do you watch any videos at all or just Christian ones? Other Christians have told me that they don't watch videos either and this is discouraging. What they say is a fair criticism, that most Christian videos are just propaganda. Your thoughts along these lines, whether positive or negative, would be very helpful to me.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Keeping in mind that Christ died on the day of Passover as the Lamb of God, the next day was the beginning of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. This was a "high Sabbath" and was actually on Thursday. But since unleavened bread was also to be eaten on the Passover, it is combined with the Feast of Unleavened Bread in some passages.

That is incorrect. If you go to Jewish culture and learn about Passover, the day of preparation and the feast of unleavened bread, youunderstand the day of Jesus crucifixion.

1. First off, Scripture declares that that particular Sabbath (Saturday ) was a high Sabbath!
2. Caiphas and the priests would not enter Pilates home in Fortress Antonius. Why? It was the day of preparation (for unleavened bread feast). to enter the home of a gentile would ceremonially make them unclean and could not eat that evening!
3. It is also written that the Sabbath drew nigh! That means it was Friday afternoon and sunset was closing in which would start the new day!
4. while Jewish culture had many special "Sabbaths" ( and yes the start of a feast was a sabbath) From the grammar God inspired we know that that Saturday was also a high Sabbath! So in a sense it was a double Sabbath! The normal Saturday observance and the start of teh feast of unleavened bread which was a High Sabbath!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark and John don't mention Thursday, Friday or any other day of the week by name as you suggest. These are Roman names for days of the week. Also, Jewish culture, contrary to the Romans, begins the day when the sun goes down -- from evening to evening. But while Mark and Luke do not refer to the days of the week according to their Roman names, they refer to the last day of the week as a Sabbath day. As you may know, God instituted a weekly Sabbath, but you might not know that he also instituted other Sabbath days corresponding to the Jewish festivals.

The original passion week took place during the Jewish festival of "Unleavened Bread." This festival is seven days long and contains a day of holy convocation (Sabbath, or High Holy Day) once on the first day of the festival and again on the last day of the festival. Passover day precedes the Feast of Unleavened Bread, and for this reason, the Feast of Unleavened bread came to be known as Passover week or simply "Passover." The day of Passover and the Feast of Unleavened bread combine to form an eight day "festival." Mark mentions them together in the following passage

All true, but we use the roman names for days to identify the day. Israel called the m the first day, etc except for Sabbath.

Passover and Unleavened Bread were celebrated one after the other in succession. For this reason, during the time of Jesus, Passover was known as "the first day of Unleavened Bread.

Yes they became one long celebration. But Passover came first, then next came the day of preperation, then came the actual feast of unleavened bread! So even though they were all lumped into one feast, they were divided in those three ways.

The Jewish festival of Unleavened Bread combined with the Jewish Passover is eight days running. And the Festival of Unleavened Bread contains two Sabbath days, one at the beginning and one at the end. During that week, the Jews also observed the weekly Sabbath. Thus, except in rare cases, the Festival of Unleavened bread contains THREE sabbath days, two for the Festival itself and one for the weekly Sabbath. Leviticus 23:4-8

And that year there would have been four sabbaths: two normal saturday sabbaths and two "high Sabbaths".

Since the Passover comes a day before the first High Holy Day of Unleavened Bread, it is also known as Preparation Day. John 19:14, John 19:31, Mark 15:42, Exodus 12:15. Passover falls on the 14th day of the month, no matter what day of week it might be. Jesus ate the Passover with his disciples on the evening of Nissan 14. He was arrested that night. The following day was also Nissan 14, because remember, the Jewish day begins in the evening and continues through until the evening of the next day. Jesus was crucified on Nissan 14, Passover day, which is also the day of Preparation for the High Holy Day, which began at sundown. The Jews did not want the body of Jesus to remain on the cross after sundown, Nissan 15.

But you forget that Sripture tells us that that particular Sabbath was a double Sabbath!

31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

1. Passover is a double day1 It is the Passover and the day of preparation for the feast of unleavened bread!
2. Scripture tells us that that Sabbath (saturday) was a "high Sabbath". So that Saturday was a double sabbath!

In other words, while Jesus was in the tomb, two different Sabbath days occurred, The High Holy Day of Nissan 15 and the weekly Sabbath of Nissan 17. Thus, Jesus spent three days in the tomb just as he said. Nissan 15, 16 and 17. The empty tomb was discovered on Nissan 18, Sunday Morning by our reckoning.

You rreckoning i swrong.

31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away

In Jewish culture, any part of a day conversationally is considered a day! So when Jesus said three days and three nights it also could mean any part of a day. So the fact he was entombed on Friday, spent all day Saturday and rose after sundown was three days! Passover was Friday which was from Sundown thursday to sundown friday. It was a "high sabbath". Friday was the day of preparation, which is why the high priests were only go into the Gabbatha and not enter Pilates residence, lest they be ceremonially unclean to eat that night!

That Sabbath was also a high sabbath (the first day of unleavened bread) or a double sabbath.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[For a discussion of the preparation day, see my answer to Mary.]

I make videos because people don't like long posts. After many years of posting online I decided to use the visual medium to explain complicated ideas. But lately I have wondered whether to stop making the videos, considering the responses I get. May I ask, do you watch any videos at all or just Christian ones? Other Christians have told me that they don't watch videos either and this is discouraging. What they say is a fair criticism, that most Christian videos are just propaganda. Your thoughts along these lines, whether positive or negative, would be very helpful to me.

I love you tube and odysee. I judge each video by its ownmerits. I do not automatically lump all of a class of videos because one may be wrong. I try to judge each by its own content and for Christian videos, how faithful they stay to SCripture and history.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Jesus die on Friday?
OP ^

According to who’s/which of the 20+ World wide CALENDARS?

Scripture:
Gen 1
[1] In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
[2] And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
[3] And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
[4] And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
[5] And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

ANY part of darkness AND then light is a numbered day.
Having from the beginning, a LUNAR calendar record would be sufficient. Anyone have one of those?

Mens printed calendars are MODERN and focused on NUMBERING, not ANCIENT focused on LUNAR cycles.

Ancient men (Hebrews) focused on Lunar cycles, for evenings and mornings; for planting, harvesting, land resting, festivals, celebrating, Feasts, eating, sin offerings, sabbaths, pilgrimages, navigation, etc.

Ancient men (Gentiles) adopted SOME knowledge, planting, harvesting, navigation, INVENTED SOME, man-made calendars, for celebrations, church, taxation, etc. per specific named rotating DAYS, per specific rotating numbered Days, even eliminating some numbered Days. And continues into MODERN currents Days.

Scripturally, any part of darkness and light, is ONE numbered day. Jesus’ body was dead for 3 accounted/numbered light (days) and the same 3 accounted/numbered darkness (days).

Friday to Sunday, according to a man-made MODERN calendar...
(Best reference, a solar calendar)? Not likely.
According to an Ancient lunar calendar? Don’t know if such a WRITTEN calendar existed. Likely, men looked in the SKY, rather than LOOKED at a calendar.

The Remembrance of Jesus’ Sacrifice;
The Celebration of Jesus’ Life;
Is the Point.
The World setting aside particular Times, for all in Belief in the World to:
Acknowledge His Remembrance, His Sacrifice, His Life...
without debate, A good thing.

Glory to God,
Taken

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you forget that Scripture tells us that that particular Sabbath was a double Sabbath!

31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

1. Passover is a double day1 It is the Passover and the day of preparation for the feast of unleavened bread!
2. Scripture tells us that that Sabbath (saturday) was a "high Sabbath". So that Saturday was a double sabbath!
I have never heard of a double Sabbath. But High Holy Day was not on Saturday.

You seem to be confusing the weekly Sabbath with the High Holy day of the Feast, which are two different days in this context.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love you tube and odysee. I judge each video by its ownmerits. I do not automatically lump all of a class of videos because one may be wrong. I try to judge each by its own content and for Christian videos, how faithful they stay to SCripture and history.
Okay, thanks for your answer. It helps.

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Jesus die on Friday?
OP ^

According to who’s/which of the 20+ World wide CALENDARS?

Scripture:
Gen 1
[1] In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
[2] And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
[3] And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
[4] And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
[5] And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

ANY part of darkness AND then light is a numbered day.
Having from the beginning, a LUNAR calendar record would be sufficient. Anyone have one of those?

Mens printed calendars are MODERN and focused on NUMBERING, not ANCIENT focused on LUNAR cycles.

Ancient men (Hebrews) focused on Lunar cycles, for evenings and mornings; for planting, harvesting, land resting, festivals, celebrating, Feasts, eating, sin offerings, sabbaths, pilgrimages, navigation, etc.

Ancient men (Gentiles) adopted SOME knowledge, planting, harvesting, navigation, INVENTED SOME, man-made calendars, for celebrations, church, taxation, etc. per specific named rotating DAYS, per specific rotating numbered Days, even eliminating some numbered Days. And continues into MODERN currents Days.

Scripturally, any part of darkness and light, is ONE numbered day. Jesus’ body was dead for 3 accounted/numbered light (days) and the same 3 accounted/numbered darkness (days).

Friday to Sunday, according to a man-made MODERN calendar...
(Best reference, a solar calendar)? Not likely.
According to an Ancient lunar calendar? Don’t know if such a WRITTEN calendar existed. Likely, men looked in the SKY, rather than LOOKED at a calendar.

The Remembrance of Jesus’ Sacrifice;
The Celebration of Jesus’ Life;
Is the Point.
The World setting aside particular Times, for all in Belief in the World to:
Acknowledge His Remembrance, His Sacrifice, His Life...
without debate, A good thing.

Glory to God,
Taken
All of that having been said, my question assumes a modern accounting of time, because I am responding to the Catholic view that Jesus died on a Friday.

In order to answer the question, we are using the accounting of time known to the New Testament authors. Once we figure that out, we can then translate their time references into modern time references. We begin with the Biblical definitions of Passover, Unleavened Bread, and Weekly Sabbath, which are critical to our understanding of passion week.

Friday to Sunday is NOT three numbered light days and three numbered dark days.

Look at it this way. Suppose we wanted to book a room for two nights in a hotel. We want to stay Friday night and Saturday night. Typically we arrive sometime after noon on Friday and leave sometime before noon on Sunday. As long as we meet the requirements for check-in and check-out times, we are charged for two nights.

What if we wanted to stay three nights in our room and leave on Sunday at 11:00 am? We want to stay for three nights. In this case, we need arrive at the hotel about 1:00pm on Thursday and check-in. We will be allowed to stay Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday night. We will not be charged for Sunday night as long as we leave before 12:00 noon.

Even according to this analogy, the Catholic dogma can not work.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have never heard of a double Sabbath. But High Holy Day was not on Saturday.

a high day called a Sabbath occurred the first day of the feast or if a feast was a single day- then the day was a high Sabbath! As that Saturdasy was the normal Sabbath and the first day of unleavened bread it was a Sabbath two ways, though they only considered the higher Sabbath of unleavened bread.
You seem to be confusing the weekly Sabbath with the High Holy day of the Feast, which are two different days in this context.

No they were not different days! Look at its only mention:

John 19:31-32
King James Version

32 Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him.

Verse 31 is very clear and simple! They wanted the three dead because bodies were not allowed to hang on a sabbath day (Saturday) and that Sabbath day (Saturday) was an high day the first day of unleavened bread after the day of preparation!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of that having been said, my question assumes a modern accounting of time, because I am responding to the Catholic view that Jesus died on a Friday.

Catholics have LOTS of views, I do not agree with, or seek for the truth.

In order to answer the question, we are using the accounting of time known to the New Testament authors. Once we figure that out, we can then translate their time references into modern time references. We begin with the Biblical definitions of Passover, Unleavened Bread, and Weekly Sabbath, which are critical to our understanding of passion week.

English - Hebrew

Sunday Yom Rishon
Monday Yom Shayni
Tuesday Yom Shlishi
Wednesday Yom Rivi’i
Thursday Yom Hamishi
Friday Yom Shishi
Saturday Yom Shabbat

Greenwich Mean Time...
Day is 12 AM to 12 PM
Night is 12 PM to 12 AM (related as afternoon, evening, night)

Typical Gentiles; solar calendar
Day is at sunrise.
Night is at sunset.

Typical Hebrew. Lunar calendar
Day begins at sunset
Day ends at sunrise.

ANY PART, something occurs during ANY portion of sunrise to sunset, is Called by one day.
ANY PART, something occurs during ANY portion of sunset to sunrise, is Called by one day.

Gets confusing, considering the differences.

Friday to Sunday is NOT three numbered light days and three numbered dark days.

3 days, 3 nights. (Includes any portion thereof)
Hebrew Days,
* died during light DAY 1 dead
* buried during light DAY 1 buried

* in grave during light day DAY 1 (supposed Friday)
* in grave during night day Day 2 (supposed Saturday)
* in graved during light day Day 2 (supposed Saturday)
* in grave during night day Day 3 (supposed Sunday)
* in grave during light day Day 3 (supposed Sunday)
* sunrise (Sunday) rises up from grave Day 3 (supposed Sunday)

THAT pertains to Jesus’ BODY.
His soul departed his BODY, at bodily death.
3 days, 3 night, (the entire time his body was dead),
His soul went to hell, Comfort side of hell, where souls of the saved were, where the Tree of Life was. It is the Tree of Life that moves about, where the Tree of Life is; is called Paradise.
(Tree of Life, was IN the Garden of Eden. Then in hell with saved souls. Now in Heaven with saved souls, Shall be on new Earth/future).

Jesus’ soul ministered to the spirits/saved souls in hell. 3 days, 3 nights.
(I speculate notifying them (saved souls) to soon be escorted to heaven).

Look at it this way. Suppose we wanted to book a room for two nights in a hotel. We want to stay Friday night and Saturday night. Typically we arrive sometime after noon on Friday and leave sometime before noon on Sunday. As long as we meet the requirements for check-in and check-out times, we are charged for two nights.

What if we wanted to stay three nights in our room and leave on Sunday at 11:00 am? We want to stay for three nights. In this case, we need arrive at the hotel about 1:00pm on Thursday and check-in. We will be allowed to stay Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday night. We will not be charged for Sunday night as long as we leave before 12:00 noon.

Even according to this analogy, the Catholic dogma can not work.

I look at it this way...I don’t KNOW for sure which “day of the week” Jesus died, was buried, rose up. According to Scripture, Two Sabbaths occurred within a few days of one and another. According to the difference between a lunar calendar (without a record back to the beginning) and solar calendars and mans adding and subtracting hours, minutes, and numbered days....the only thing assured is Jesus Bodily Died, His soul departed, His soul went to hell, for 3 days, 3 nights, returned to His Body and His body revived, and He ministered to and was seen, by men, (for 40 days, I think), and then bodily, soul, spirit, rose up to heaven, and sends His Spirit of Truth INTO, men who freely, heartfully, CONFESS belief, are forgiven, and thus are Converted, by the Works of God IN such men, Once and Forever.

Glory to God,
Taken

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ronald Nolette @Marymog @Jay Ross @Pearl

The original passion week took place during the Jewish festival of "Unleavened Bread." This festival is seven days long and contains a day of holy convocation (Sabbath, or High Holy Day) once on the first day of the festival and again on the last day of the festival. Passover day precedes the Feast of Unleavened Bread, and for this reason, the Feast of Unleavened bread came to be known as Passover week or simply "Passover." The day of Passover and the Feast of Unleavened bread combine to form an eight day "festival." Mark mentions them together in the following passage.

Mark 14:1
Now the Passover and Unleavened Bread were two days away; and the chief priests and the scribes were seeking how to seize Him by stealth and kill Him;

Mark 14:12
On the first day of Unleavened Bread, when the Passover lamb was being sacrificed, His disciples *said to Him, “Where do You want us to go and prepare for You to eat the Passover?”

Follow me so far? :)

Our challenge, as 21th century Bible students is to ascertain which particular Sabbath day is in view in any particular passage of scripture. During the time of Jesus, the weekly sabbath always fell on a Saturday. But since the Festival of Unleavened Bread begins on a different day of the week each year, then the Sabbaths associated with Unleavened Bread fall on different days of the week each year.

Jesus was in the tomb before sundown, but the late hour didn't allow time for the women to prepare the body of Jesus for burial. The next day was Nissan 15, a high holy day, which also didn't allow the women to prepare the body of Jesus. Nissan 16, which came a day before the weekly sabbath, afforded time for the women to buy the spices and get them ready for the tomb. Nissan 17 was a weekly sabbath and by this time, Jesus had been in the tomb for three days. The next day, Nissan 18, the women arrive at the tomb, prepared to properly bury Jesus when they discovered that the tomb was empty.

Thanks Cady...I didn't "suggest" that "Mark and John mentioned Thursday, Friday or any other day of the week by name". I said they "indicate" it. I already briefly spelled out those indications. But let's go deeper:

Scripture mentions the first day of the week when they discovered the tomb empty and He had risen. Acts and Corinthians mentions the first day of the week they came together to break bread and had a collection of goods. The first day of the week for them would be what we now call Sunday!
Revelation and the Didache mention The Lords Day. There are only 7 choices for that day so which one of the 7 did John and the writer of the Didache (written around 65AD) mean as the Lords Day? Letter of Barnabas (74AD) mentions the 8th day as the day on which Jesus rose again from the dead. The 8th day was what we now call Sunday. Ignatios of Antioch (a student of the Apostle John) wrote around 110AD that Christians no longer observe the Sabbath, but live in the observance of the Lord’s day. In 155AD Justin Martyr flat out says Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Savior on the same day rose from the dead.

So, there you have it. The first 80+ years after Christ died of Christian writings that suggest or flat out say Sunday worship and the reason for it.

This post isn't directed at you CadyandZoe. It is for ALL those who reject what Scripture says and reject their own Christian traditions that they refuse to hold fast to: 2 Thessalonians 2:15

I challenge anyone to show me any historical writings that The Church did NOT hold worship on Sunday before Justin Martyr flat out said they do hold it on Sunday.

Mary

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a high day called a Sabbath occurred the first day of the feast or if a feast was a single day- then the day was a high Sabbath! As that Saturdasy was the normal Sabbath and the first day of unleavened bread it was a Sabbath two ways, though they only considered the higher Sabbath of unleavened bread.

No they were not different days! Look at its only mention:

John 19:31-32
King James Version

32 Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him.

Verse 31 is very clear and simple! They wanted the three dead because bodies were not allowed to hang on a sabbath day (Saturday) and that Sabbath day (Saturday) was an high day the first day of unleavened bread after the day of preparation!
If the High Holy day fell on a Saturday that year, then the gospels can not be harmonized. Therefore, if we believe that the gospel writers are in agreement, then we must conclude that the High Holy Day did not fall on a Saturday that year. Therefore John didn't mean to say, "the High Holy Day fell on a Sabbath day" as you suppose. Rather, he knows that the last day of the week and the High Holy Days are both known as Sabbath days and so, for the sake of clarity he specifies which one he means.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Cady...I didn't "suggest" that "Mark and John mentioned Thursday, Friday or any other day of the week by name". I said they "indicate" it. I already briefly spelled out those indications. But let's go deeper:

Scripture mentions the first day of the week when they discovered the tomb empty and He had risen. Acts and Corinthians mentions the first day of the week they came together to break bread and had a collection of goods. The first day of the week for them would be what we now call Sunday!
Revelation and the Didache mention The Lords Day. There are only 7 choices for that day so which one of the 7 did John and the writer of the Didache (written around 65AD) mean as the Lords Day? Letter of Barnabas (74AD) mentions the 8th day as the day on which Jesus rose again from the dead. The 8th day was what we now call Sunday. Ignatios of Antioch (a student of the Apostle John) wrote around 110AD that Christians no longer observe the Sabbath, but live in the observance of the Lord’s day. In 155AD Justin Martyr flat out says Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Savior on the same day rose from the dead.

So, there you have it. The first 80+ years after Christ died of Christian writings that suggest or flat out say Sunday worship and the reason for it.

This post isn't directed at you CadyandZoe. It is for ALL those who reject what Scripture says and reject their own Christian traditions that they refuse to hold fast to: 2 Thessalonians 2:15

I challenge anyone to show me any historical writings that The Church did NOT hold worship on Sunday before Justin Martyr flat out said they do hold it on Sunday.

Mary
So we agree that the Bible doesn't refer to the days of the week by name. And I have no problem with meeting on the first day of the week. And if Christians decided to adopt the Roman names for the days of the week, I have no problem with that either.

I disagree with Justin Martyr's view that Jesus rose on Sunday morning. His empty tomb was discovered Sunday morning but apparently he rose on Saturday night. By the time that the woman came to the tomb, the stone was already rolled away and the tomb was already empty.

But all of that is beside the point. The question posed in the video is NOT "on what day of the week do Christians worship?" The video assumes that Sunday is the first day of the week. The question posed in the video is "on what day of the week was Jesus crucified?" Since Jesus said that he would be in the tomb for three days and three nights, no thinking person would conclude that Jesus hung on the cross Friday afternoon and rose from the dead on Sunday morning.

Let's say for the sake of discussion that the angels rolled away the stone during the second or third watch of the night. How about 3:00 am Sunday Morning? That being the case, we shall count Saturday night as the third night Jesus spent in the tomb, because Jesus himself said that he would spend three nights in the tomb. Matthew 12:40 Counting backwards then, Friday night was the second night in the tomb; and Thursday night was the first night in the tomb.

Now, I don't agree with the scenario above because in order to harmonized all the gospel accounts, Jesus had to have spent the first night in the tomb on Wednesday night. But putting that aside for the moment, hopefully you can see that the official Catholic version of events can't possibly be true. Jesus said three nights, but Friday and Saturday night only amount to two nights.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
* in grave during night day Day 2 (supposed Saturday)
* in grave during night day Day 3 (supposed Sunday)
* sunrise (Sunday) rises up from grave Day 3 (supposed Sunday)
The list above suffers from two conceptual problems.

1. First of all, we are looking for three "light days" and three "night days". Your list above only contains two "night days."
2. Second, your list follows the Roman concept of a day/night, but your names for the days of the week don't follow Roman reconning.

In line two above, you mistakenly place Saturday night immediately after Friday day, but in actuality, Friday night follows Friday day.

If one were to count the last three daylight hours of Friday as one day, then the list would look like this.

* in grave during night day Day 2 (supposed Friday)
* in grave during night day Day 3 (supposed Saturday)

So then, the list is missing a night day. Secondly, it counts the dawn twice, once as night day and again as light day.