Did Jesus die on Friday?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
You are caught with your fingers in the cookie jar!

Davy said: ↑
3 days and 3 nights, is what He said, and it was pretty clear how He meant that, seeing as how He used the event of Jonah being in the belly of the great fish for 3 days and 3 nights.
And since that has to be figured per the Hebrew calendar reckoning for a day, which was sunset to sunset, a Friday to Sunday morning ain't 3 days and 3 nights. You need to face up to the fact that the early Church had their 'own' traditions in opposition to the actual Scripture, just as it still is today.
https://www.christianityboard.com/.../did.../page-19...
GE:
Reject! You answered:
2764.png
days and 3 nights, is what He said, and it was pretty clear how He meant that, seeing as how He used the event of Jonah being in the belly of the great fish for 3 days and 3 nights.> Pretty clear, yes - what's got it to do with my question? Sultsch! Meaningless vacuous weightless words launched into open space far above any gravity.
You continue your 'answer': <And since that has to be figured per the Hebrew calendar reckoning for a day>. <THAT has to be figured> What is <that>? <THAT> is what I asked you: What does "IN THE HEART OF THE EARTH" mean, and you tell me: <since that has to be figured per the Hebrew calendar reckoning for a day>!!!!!
I cannot send you anywhere, Not back to Kindergarten because they don't take in critical cases; not to an asylum because they only take in cases where there's still some hope; and I cannot send you to hell because they only take in cases with scope for demotion.
You need to face up to the facts of life.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a visual illustration of your view. View attachment 23731

Y&^es that is an accurate graph of the timeline. but you still to continue to ignore that in the Jewish culture of Jesus' day (which Jesus was most definitely a part of), Jews counted any part of a day as a day! You can disagree all you wish, but that is what they did. so when Jesus said three days- it coiuld be as little as 27 hours and sdtill in that culture and mindset be considered three days.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can you count a physical phenomenon differently. Again, take a look at the picture I sent. How many purple halves to you see?

YOu fail to recognize that it is not me but the Jews of the day that counted days as they did. I had nothing to do with it.

So let us make some assumptions. Sundown which started the new day in Jewish culture was 7 pm.

Jesus died at c. 3PM. So 3-7 pm friday= one day
7pm friday to 7 pm saturday= one day.

Let us assume Jesus arose at 8pm saturday night (which in Jewish reckining is Sunday)
7pm saturday to 8pm saturday= a third day

so by the reckining of teh Jewish culture in Jesus' time these 28 hours would equal three days in time reckoning! So Jesus did not lie that He most likely spent less than 1 1/2 days in the tomb.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can you count a physical phenomenon differently. Again, take a look at the picture I sent. How many purple halves to you see?

YOur biggest obstacle to understanding Scripture here is that you refuse to accept the 1st Century Jewish mindset in how they counted days as far as an activity went. YOu arew trying to force your 21 st century mindset onto a long gone cultural way of doing things.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is IMPOSSIBLE YOU CANNOT LIE. Copy and paste quote me, cowboy!

Oh , I can lie with the best of them. but here I am just quoting history. It is you that has Passover both in Abib and Nisan according to your blown up fancy little charts! You do know they are separate Jewish months don't you?

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YOur biggest obstacle to understanding Scripture here is that you refuse to accept the 1st Century Jewish mindset in how they counted days as far as an activity went. YOu arew trying to force your 21 st century mindset onto a long gone cultural way of doing things.
It's just that I don't believe that anyone would count a partial day as a whole day, or that two nights can be considered as three. I gave an example from our time period in which partial days are counted as whole days, but the nights are not counted as partial nights. I don't think my place in history has anything to do with it, since human being are basically the same with regard to social aspects. For example, I was amazed and delighted to find out that JOB puts salt on his eggs, just like I do.

As I demonstrated in my illustration, even if we counted Friday and Sunday as partial days, it is impossible to count Friday and Saturday night as three nights. It's not a matter of culture at that point. It's simply a matter of physics.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's just that I don't believe that anyone would count a partial day as a whole day, or that two nights can be considered as three. I gave an example from our time period in which partial days are counted as whole days, but the nights are not counted as partial nights. I don't think my place in history has anything to do with it, since human being are basically the same with regard to social aspects. For example, I was amazed and delighted to find out that JOB puts salt on his eggs, just like I do.

As I demonstrated in my illustration, even if we counted Friday and Sunday as partial days, it is impossible to count Friday and Saturday night as three nights. It's not a matter of culture at that point. It's simply a matter of physics.

I understand our modern day way of looking at this completely and on the surface, you make a strong case. But when one studies the culture and learns from the historical record how they counted a day to reckion many things, whether it makes sense to us or not- it is th eway they did things. We can either accept that fact and adjust, or force our mindset into the ancient culture and then come out wrong.

Let me give a poor example. We know that 2+2=4 in base ten which is what we use and have been indoctrinated in.

But say the ancinet Parthians used a base two and would write 2+2=10 (if that is right, I will assume it is for the example) . We look at it as nonsense. but if that is the way they did things, then we must look at their calculations that way or we will will always com eup with oincorrect answers. Same as how Jews counted a part of a day for things and events. If a Jew said on Friday morning, he would bring you a mule in three days, the man expecting the mule would expect it on sunday! Even though three days have not gone by. thj esame would hold true if the man said it 1 hour before sundown friday and delivered it one hour after sunup sunday- it would be three days Friday, Saturday, sunday! They simply co0unted part of a day as a day in many of their reckonings.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are caught with your fingers in the cookie jar!

Davy said: ↑
3 days and 3 nights, is what He said, and it was pretty clear how He meant that, seeing as how He used the event of Jonah being in the belly of the great fish for 3 days and 3 nights.
And since that has to be figured per the Hebrew calendar reckoning for a day, which was sunset to sunset, a Friday to Sunday morning ain't 3 days and 3 nights. You need to face up to the fact that the early Church had their 'own' traditions in opposition to the actual Scripture, just as it still is today.
https://www.christianityboard.com/.../did.../page-19...
GE:
Reject! You answered:
2764.png
days and 3 nights, is what He said, and it was pretty clear how He meant that, seeing as how He used the event of Jonah being in the belly of the great fish for 3 days and 3 nights.> Pretty clear, yes - what's got it to do with my question? Sultsch! Meaningless vacuous weightless words launched into open space far above any gravity.
You continue your 'answer': <And since that has to be figured per the Hebrew calendar reckoning for a day>. <THAT has to be figured> What is <that>? <THAT> is what I asked you: What does "IN THE HEART OF THE EARTH" mean, and you tell me: <since that has to be figured per the Hebrew calendar reckoning for a day>!!!!!
I cannot send you anywhere, Not back to Kindergarten because they don't take in critical cases; not to an asylum because they only take in cases where there's still some hope; and I cannot send you to hell because they only take in cases with scope for demotion.
You need to face up to the facts of life.

Don't know if this was meant for me or you are now just insulting people generally now.

But you need to go to a Scholar on Jewish history and simply ask if that in the first century Jews reckoned a day as any portion of a day! and then be humble and learn. YOu and I do not have to understand why they did it. They simply counted that way and we must adjust our arrogant brains to account for that.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
YOu fail to recognize that it is not me but the Jews of the day that counted days as they did. I had nothing to do with it.

If it is the Jews of the day that counted days as they did, it guarantees it is not the Biblical day.
Those silly 'illustrations' in white and purple and pieces in yellow which you and your mate consider <correct>, in no single aspect of the Bible-day, is/are correct, but is ludicrous at best. NO Friday or Saturday or Sunday EVER was or can or will be a Bible-day! And no day or cyclic combination of day and night or of night and day belonging to TWO SEPERATE AND DIFFERENT Bible-days, ever can be <part> of the same Bible-day. The Bible-day, by the buy, consists of its full night beginning halve and the full day-long ending halve of the self-same Bible-day, "whether of week's or of month's or of season's or of year's days". "It was the evening (and night halve) and it was the morning (and daylight halve) The First Day / The Second Day / The Third Day" etc..

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it is the Jews of the day that counted days as they did, it guarantees it is not the Biblical day.
Those silly 'illustrations' in white and purple and pieces in yellow which you and your mate consider <correct>, in no single aspect of the Bible-day, is/are correct, but is ludicrous at best. NO Friday or Saturday or Sunday EVER was or can or will be a Bible-day! And no day or cyclic combination of day and night or of night and day belonging to TWO SEPERATE AND DIFFERENT Bible-days, ever can be <part> of the same Bible-day. The Bible-day, by the buy, consists of its full night beginning halve and the full day-long ending halve of the self-same Bible-day, "whether of week's or of month's or of season's or of year's days". "It was the evening (and night halve) and it was the morning (and daylight halve) The First Day / The Second Day / The Third Day" etc..

Well there is no such thing as a biblical day! Unless of course you consider evening and morning a first day.

but you can believe or not believe whatever you wish. I have historic fact on my side, so I rest in what the culture of the day reckined manythings.

3 days+ Friday (or any part thereof) Saturday and Sunda (or any part thereof). so Jesus was three days in the tomb- Friday Saturday and Sunday, even if Jesus was in the tomb for only one hour on Friday or Saturday or 26 hours altoether.

YOu do better insulting people than trying to deal with a culture you show you have not studied.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand our modern day way of looking at this completely and on the surface, you make a strong case. But when one studies the culture and learns from the historical record how they counted a day to reckion many things, whether it makes sense to us or not- it is th eway they did things. We can either accept that fact and adjust, or force our mindset into the ancient culture and then come out wrong.

Let me give a poor example. We know that 2+2=4 in base ten which is what we use and have been indoctrinated in.

But say the ancinet Parthians used a base two and would write 2+2=10 (if that is right, I will assume it is for the example) . We look at it as nonsense. but if that is the way they did things, then we must look at their calculations that way or we will will always com eup with oincorrect answers. Same as how Jews counted a part of a day for things and events. If a Jew said on Friday morning, he would bring you a mule in three days, the man expecting the mule would expect it on sunday! Even though three days have not gone by. thj esame would hold true if the man said it 1 hour before sundown friday and delivered it one hour after sunup sunday- it would be three days Friday, Saturday, sunday! They simply co0unted part of a day as a day in many of their reckonings.
As I say, I understand the partial day example. Nonetheless, there can only be two nights between three partial days.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I say, I understand the partial day example. Nonetheless, there can only be two nights between three partial days.

Yes in hard actual reckoning of time that is true. but in the idioms of the day, Friday 1 hour before sunset through Sunday one hour after sunrise, many many would simply say he was in the tomb three days! So:

On the third day.
Three days,
After three days,
three days and three nights

all are saying the same thing- Jesus was in the tomb Friday-Sunday. It is simply how they talked in thne day.

Just like when we say "It is hot as hell outside" It actually factually is not hot as hell, but is an idiom to describe that it is indeed hot outside!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why do you insist Jesus died in the month Abib? when history proves you 100% wrong?

Nisan 2022 begins in the evening preceding April 2 Nisan (or Nissan), the first month on Jewish calendar (according to the Torah), coincides with March-April on the civil calendar. The Torah calls it chodesh ha-aviv —the month of spring, as it marks the beginning of the spring months.
The Hebrew Month of Nisan - Jewish Calendar - Chabad
upload_2022-6-27_10-20-43.png
www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/2164005/jewish/Nisan.htm

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes that is true! Bvut if you cannot accept that it did not matter when Jews spoke in Jesus day- then you will always be in a conundrum over this.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes that is true! Bvut if you cannot accept that it did not matter when Jews spoke in Jesus day- then you will always be in a conundrum over this.
I'm not confused or puzzled. I have my explanation and it makes sense of the gospel accounts.