Did Jesus ever test anyone personally?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good answers. Would not all the trials we were promised would come at us in this world be considered tests of a sort? How do we react to trials and tribulations? With fretting and worrying? Or with calm faith, even though we might not see a way out...He is such a Way Maker! ♥ Worldly trials could be considered tests of our faith in this day and age, and it is an awesome thing to actually have that peace of His during the midst of said trials-to see what He will do. Amen!

larry2

Jun 14, 2018
Arapahoe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't find one example of Jesus testing one person.
Am I missing any?
Hi Miss Hepburn, if I’m understanding your use of testing, there is an interesting example of testing, or judging in 1 Cor 5:9-13.

At this present time Jesus spent time with those of the world, but told us to not entertain brethren living in sin.
1Co 5:12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
1Co 5:13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

The word Testing which doesn’t appear in the KJV version of the bible, but Webster has this following caption as to the meaning of JUDGE: “to form an opinion about through careful weighing of evidence and testing of premises..

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Am I missing any?

The disciples in their letters bring up tests...but no examples of Jesus personally
ever testing one person.
Since Jesus only did his Father's Will...and there is a lot of talk of God testing people
...why didn't Jesus?
Unless, I missed it, that is.
Thanks, I figure this group would know. :)

When Yeshua [Jesus] outwardly expressed to Peter, You will Deny me Three time's before the Cock Crow's, and Peter said I will never Deny you!
OOPS! Failed that test, after being warned about it! I guess when the Cock Crowed he realized!

Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Am I missing any?
so, i think you are right, but you would have to define testing more succinctly i guess
remember you are in a room full of lawyers lol

A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out, till he has brought justice through to victory.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good answers. Would not all the trials we were promised would come at us in this world be considered tests of a sort? How do we react to trials and tribulations? With fretting and worrying? Or with calm faith, even though we might not see a way out...He is such a Way Maker! ♥ Worldly trials could be considered tests of our faith in this day and age, and it is an awesome thing to actually have that peace of His during the midst of said trials-to see what He will do. Amen!

Well! That's just excellent!
Remember, it says God let them become very thirsty in the desert...TO SEE WHAT THEY WOULD DO!!
They complained a lot. Failed the test.
We are warned to see that our own hearts do not become evil and unbelieving as Israel in the desert. The man goes into careful detail to try to get us to see: WHO did God later become displeased with? Wasn't it...those He had SAVED?? And then he goes on to say: and WHY did He become displeased with them? Because of their unbelief/ lack of trust.

It's a sobering passage. Because you hear many say that He will not treat any of our lack of trust as He treated Israels lack of trust. Which would make Him a respector of persons, those persons being us of course. It's frightening. I know He is patient and merciful and kind, but why would I think He will demand trust from Israel but not from me? Like...Israel got a raw deal and had to grow in trust, but somehow I will not have to?

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a sobering passage. Because you hear many say that He will not treat any of our lack of trust as He treated Israels lack of trust. Which would make Him a respector of persons, those persons being us of course. It's frightening. I know He is patient and merciful and kind, but why would I think He will demand trust from Israel but not from me? Like...Israel got a raw deal and had to grow in trust, but somehow I will not have to?

Not many have a grip on this! They will SAY! God the Same Yesterday, Today, And Forever, But Not the Same! Malachi 3:6 _ For I Am the Lord, I do not Change [until Jesus come's] ????? What! Everything the Israelite's went through, was for our Admonition!
Thus I Agree with You!

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
It occurs to me God should already know the results of a test before it is administered. Does he still need to give the test then? Or can there be no foreknowledge of an event that never takes place and God truely wouldn't know what could have been?

@ScottA

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It occurs to me God should already know the results of a test before it is administered. Does he still need to give the test then? Or can there be no foreknowledge of an event that never takes place and God truely wouldn't know what could have been?

@ScottA

Well, God sure knew where to find Adam, but still asked him where he was. lol.
"And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?" Genesis 3:9

"Does he still need to give the test then? "
He doesn't need to do anything, to me it seems that God just might be asking the obvious questions (obvious to Him), to see how sincere/honest one will be with Him? Sure, He already can know or make Himself not-know (lol) if it pleases Him.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

@ScottA
I suppose it depends on your definition of "test." Here is a good example:

John 6:4-6
Now the Passover, a feast of the Jews, was near. 5 Then Jesus lifted up His eyes, and seeing a great multitude coming toward Him, He said to Philip, “Where shall we buy bread, that these may eat?” 6 But this He said to test him, for He Himself knew what He would do.

...So, I would have to say that rather than the typical use of the word "test", Jesus used it to engage the times and those things appointed, bringing those with Him into step. He and Peter had a few similar bouts.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, God sure knew where to find Adam, but still asked him where he was. lol.
"And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?" Genesis 3:9

"Does he still need to give the test then? "
He doesn't need to do anything, to me it seems that God just might be asking the obvious questions (obvious to Him), to see how sincere/honest one will be with Him? Sure, He already can know or make Himself not-know (lol) if it pleases Him.
Indeed, probing questions that cause us to think our way through with a little nudge from the Lord. Gotta love it!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Since God always knows the end from the beginning, His foreknowledge is always there. The test is for the *testee*, not the *Tester*.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He tested men who asked Him a question. He said, if you will first answer my question, then I will answer yours.
I understand that, yes. Good one. :)
I suppose I was looking for a BIG test....like did Jesus test someone with a, 'kill your son', or
"I'm going to watch and see what you do when I take every single thing
from you even your health..." that type of test.

Someone could say it was a 'test' saying...'You who are without sin cast the first stone'...sure...
I guess I would call that a directive, then you make a choice;
you do it or don't ...pure and simple...
but not a test, per se.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand that, yes. Good one. :)
I suppose I was looking for a BIG test....like did Jesus test someone with a, 'kill your son', or
from you even your health..." that type of test.

Someone could say it was a 'test' saying...'You who are without sin cast the first stone'...sure...
I guess I would call that a directive, then you make a choice;
you do it or don't ...pure and simple...
but not a test, per se.

I see what you mean. No, I don't think His ministry was about that.

John 12:47 And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.

However, after His church was established, and they were given His Holy Spirit, there was a huge test. Remember Ananais and Saphira...

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Am I missing any?
The disciples in their letters bring up tests...but no examples of Jesus personally
ever testing one person.
Since Jesus only did his Father's Will...and there is a lot of talk of God testing people
...why didn't Jesus?
Unless, I missed it, that is.
Thanks, I figure this group would know. :)
I hereby deem this an example of one person being tested by Jesus - sell up and become my disciple!
Luk 18:18-23

(18) And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
(19) And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.
(20) Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.

(21) And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up.
(22) Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.
(23) And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
from you even your health.
.." that type of test.
Have you read about the Rich Young Ruler? Substitute wealth for health.

Jesus and the rich young man (also called Jesus and the rich ruler) is an episode in the life of Jesus in the New Testament. It appears in the Gospel of Matthew 19:16–30, the Gospel of Mark 10:17–31 and the Gospel of Luke 18:18–30.

Since it is in all three Synoptic Gospels, it is significant.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However, after His church was established, and they were given His Holy Spirit, there was a huge test. Remember Ananais and Saphira...
No, I did not know about them! I do now tho!:)
Now, see, I don't see the test.
They simply lied to make themselves look more generous than they were.
No one was 'testing ' them that I saw. They failed themselves by not being honest.
That's how I see it, I mean.

And I agree Jesus' mission was not about testing...it was about love manifesting mostly as unconditional healing to those far and near..then in his example of immediate forgiveness (aka the criminal on his right), his self sacrifice, and letting us know Heaven is within...there dwells our Father...no more stoning...
....and nothing is what it seems here....you can overcome physical laws because spiritual laws also trump them.
(ie, sickness, death, water, gravity....changing atoms to appear as wine, etc...)

Last edited: