Did Jesus ever test anyone personally?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't find one example of Jesus testing one person.
Am I missing any?

The disciples in their letters bring up tests...but no examples of Jesus personally
ever testing one person.
Since Jesus only did his Father's Will...and there is a lot of talk of God testing people
...why didn't Jesus?
Unless, I missed it, that is.
Thanks, I figure this group would know. :)

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Am I missing any?

The disciples in their letters bring up tests...but no examples of Jesus personally
ever testing one person.
Since Jesus only did his Father's Will...and there is a lot of talk of God testing people
...why didn't Jesus?

By test, do you mean by tempting someone to do wrong? It's not clear.

James 1:13-15
13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. 14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. 15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.

God gives us "tests" to improve our character. They are called trials.

James 1
My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 4 But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

D

Dave L

Am I missing any?

ever testing one person.
...why didn't Jesus?
“Because you have kept my admonition to endure steadfastly, I will also keep you from the hour of testing that is about to come on the whole world to test those who live on the earth.” (Revelation 3:10)

Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good question.
I have never seen that question ever before.. :)

I guess when he spoke to the Rich Young Ruler it was a test.
"Sell all that you have and follow Me." ..and he went away sad...

Also in a way, ever time he healed He told them to do something...even the 10 lepers...
...and "Arise take up your bed and walk.."
I guess faith is always a test?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Am I missing any?

ever testing one person.
...why didn't Jesus?

He did tell his followers, to drink his blood and eat his flesh, causing many to leave. Perhaps he could have explained better instead of letting them assume he wanted them to become cannibals.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He did tell his followers, to drink his blood and eat his flesh, causing many to leave. Perhaps he could have explained better instead of letting them assume he wanted them to become cannibals.

Oh that is a good one...I had forgotten that one. :)
A major test.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tempting to do wrong? No, it never crossed my mind Jesus would
tempt someone to do wrong. No, like Job or Abraham...a test of faith.
Thank you all so far.

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Am I missing any?

ever testing one person.
...why didn't Jesus?

24 Jesus got up and went away from there to the region of Tyre. And when He had entered a house, He wanted no one to know of it; yet He could not escape notice. 25 But after hearing of Him, a woman whose little daughter had an unclean spirit immediately came and fell at His feet. 26 Now the woman was a Gentile, of the Syrophoenician race. And she kept asking Him to cast the demon out of her daughter. 27 And He was saying to her, “Let the children be satisfied first, for it is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs.” 28 But she answered and said to Him, “Yes, Lord, but even the dogs under the table feed on the children’s crumbs.” 29 And He said to her, “Because of this answer go; the demon has gone out of your daughter.” 30 And going back to her home, she found the child lying on the bed, the demon having left.”

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Am I missing any?

ever testing one person.
...why didn't Jesus?

Smart and a deep question Miss Hepburn. Can be answered on several levels.

The Father’s plan for Jesus’ mission on earth was to establish who Jesus was, bring the truth of the gospel to the people and atone for our sins, with the glory of eventual immortality…and much more

God did not instruct Jesus to ‘test’ believers because there were none to test during his time in earth.

The Father did test many people through Jesus and with Jesus’ authority given by the Father however, before his death on the cross. I’m defining ‘test’ here as to know their hearts and faith., what was their spiritual health. God via Jesus and Jesus himself in the will of his Father tested the disciples, the Pharisees, the Romans, poor and rich folks….many people.

As believers, Jesus tests us directly and periodically for disciplinary and loving reasons for our own benefit and growth. We are to become as he as the new creature in him.

God tests unbelievers today by his son Jesus who has this authority now in himself to do so, the ruler of heaven and earth. He will continue to test them until his work given to him is complete. It is an effort to reveal to themselves, their weak and miserable spiritual health in the hope they will repent and return and trust in God.

The consequences of continued rejection is separation from God's presence.

Blessings,

APAK

D

Dave L

Tempting to do wrong? No, it never crossed my mind Jesus would
tempt someone to do wrong. No, like Job or Abraham...a test of faith.
Thank you all so far.
".....And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.” (Matthew 6:12–13)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He was sifting them then. Notice that that was when many left him. Like with the rich young ruler already mentioned on this thread he was asking too much for many of them. People still want to live with knowledge when we are to live by faith. In time God will provide us with knowledge when He deems it the proper time... not when we think it is time:

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace." Ecc 3:1-8

God's time always rather than ours! Even believers are often still selfish and impatient.
How can we get past these shortcomings? Not without His help. We need to be asking for the right kind of help in the proper times.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And we somehow begin to LIKE the testing of our faith (or lackthereof). I can't explain how that is even possible...But we see it has grown and that we are more able to stand firm than before and we begin to rejoice over the trials that grow it...odd, isn't it?

D

Dave L

“Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that [false] prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the Lord your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul.” (Deuteronomy 13:3)