Did Jesus have faith ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'
Our faith is in Christ as the One who died in our place, bearing our reproach, and suffering sin's penalty, but we are saved by His life, His resurrection life. For now we, in Him, walk before the Father in newness of life, for having died to sin we now live unto God.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
I'm with you 100% above !

Reactions: charity

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a good verse if a person is a KJV only but these I believe are the more accurate translations below :

English Standard Version
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Berean Study Bible
I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

New American Standard Bible
"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

New King James Version
I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
There's no difference unless you're looking for one.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's no difference unless you're looking for one.
So you agree that the faith of Jesus actually means faith in Christ correct ?

New International Version
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

English Standard Version
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Berean Study Bible
I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

Berean Literal Bible
I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. And that which I now live in the flesh, I live through faith from the Son of God, the One having loved me and having given up Himself for me.

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

New King James Version
I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Christian Standard Bible
I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Contemporary English Version
I have died, but Christ lives in me. And I now live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave his life for me.

Good News Translation
so that it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. This life that I live now, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave his life for me.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

New Heart English Bible
I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I that live, but Christ living in me. That life which I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live I live by believing in God's Son, who loved me and took the punishment for my sins.

New American Standard 1977
“I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered Himself up for me.

American Standard Version
I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I that live, but Christ living in me: and that life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, the faith which is in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And I live, now not I; but Christ liveth in me. And that I live now in the flesh: I live in the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered himself for me.

English Revised Version
I have been crucified with Christ; yet I live; and yet no longer I, but Christ liveth in me: and that life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, the faith which is in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me.

Weymouth New Testament
I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I that live, but Christ that lives in me; and the life which I now live in the body I live through faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself up to death on my behalf.

World English Bible
I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I that live, but Christ living in me. That life which I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me.

hope this helps !!!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i WILL NOT DERAIL THIS THREAD TO DISCUSS THE SDA CHURCH ANY FURTHER. ATTEMPTS TO DO SO WILL BE REPORTED.
You forgot to say "The Great And Powerful Oz has spoken!" I guess you'll report me, too. Whatever it takes to control the conversation, eh?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

English Standard Version

Berean Study Bible

Berean Literal Bible
I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. And that which I now live in the flesh, I live through faith from the Son of God, the One having loved me and having given up Himself for me.

New King James Version

Christian Standard Bible
I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

I have died, but Christ lives in me. And I now live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave his life for me.

Good News Translation
so that it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. This life that I live now, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave his life for me.

and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

New Heart English Bible

GOD'S WORD® Translation
I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live I live by believing in God's Son, who loved me and took the punishment for my sins.

“I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered Himself up for me.

I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I that live, but Christ living in me: and that life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, the faith which is in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And I live, now not I; but Christ liveth in me. And that I live now in the flesh: I live in the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered himself for me.

English Revised Version
I have been crucified with Christ; yet I live; and yet no longer I, but Christ liveth in me: and that life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, the faith which is in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me.

Weymouth New Testament
I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I that live, but Christ that lives in me; and the life which I now live in the body I live through faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself up to death on my behalf.

World English Bible

hope this helps !!!
The faith of Christ = faith in Christ (objective genitive).

Reactions: ChristisGod

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

English Standard Version

Berean Study Bible

Berean Literal Bible

New King James Version

Christian Standard Bible

Good News Translation

New Heart English Bible

GOD'S WORD® Translation

Douay-Rheims Bible

English Revised Version

Weymouth New Testament

World English Bible

hope this helps !!!
I could take the bait or I could say not necessarily in every case. Especially (without having read the entire thread) since I suspect you're trying to solidify some position on the matter by being able to say "But you said _______."

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The SDA brand of "salvation"is graceless, based on works such as proper diet, proper attendance on Saturdays, and adherence to the medical quackery of the late 18th century in which she was so much involved Did you know that one of Ellen's favorite foods was oysters, and that she was addicted to drinking vinegar?

I have read her, and I found some of the things she wrote about masturbation to be hilariously stupid. I found her "prophesy about Great Britain entering our civil war to be worthy of stoning (See Deuteronomy 18) and the stuff surrounding the "Investigative Judgment" to be absolute heresy. I can say that because it totally negates the Atonement of Jesus Christ on the cross.

I can unequivocally state that you have been misinformed. One can Google up any kind of muck-raking slander they wish for.

john t

Aug 15, 2020
finger lakes
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have read her, [books, letters and articles about health (clarified)] and I found some of the things she wrote about masturbation to be hilariously stupid. I found her "prophesy about Great Britain entering our civil war to be worthy of stoning (See Deuteronomy 18) and the stuff surrounding the "Investigative Judgment" to be absolute heresy. I can say that because it totally negates the Atonement of Jesus Christ on the cross.

I can unequivocally state that you have been misinformed. One can Google up any kind of muck-raking slander they wish for.

I can unequivocally state that you do not read well Perhaps your comprehension will increase with the clarified version.

I used PRIMARY SOURCE material (meaning stuff that she wrote) when I posted them on CARM; I clearly remember the content of what I posted.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can unequivocally state that you do not read well Perhaps your comprehension will increase with the clarified version.

I used PRIMARY SOURCE material (meaning stuff that she wrote) when I posted them on CARM; I clearly remember the content of what I posted.
It's so painful to try to reason with you. I have no doubt that CARM was instrumental in making you such a great Adventism-hater. Odd that you don't remember the account of how Mrs. White overcame her addiction to vinegar or that the oyster business did not come from her own pen. The difficulties surrounding the ministry of Mrs. White are easily explained, but what incentive would you have to seek them out? You're satisfied just being an accuser of the brethren. You remember what is pleasing to you. I hope you will never have to answer for your words. Because, contrary to your determined belief in your own mental powers, you could never hope to.

Acts 5
38And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: 39But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.

Doubtless, you will have some pompous, high-handed blustering in response.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On your own authority you mislabel as "goofy" two of the findings of the Fourth and Fifth Ecumenical Councils and do not take the time to examine them sufficiently to make an accurate evaluation. That is simply empty, inaccurate pontification bordering on foolishness.
First of all, you have no idea how much I have studied this out. Secondly, Jesus, not some ecumenical council, is my authority.

You enjoy the comfort and security of allowing others to do your thinking. Your comments display the devils bargain with authoritarian rule: He gives you comfort and a sense of security in exchange for blind obedience. You have "religious beliefs" rather than "rational beliefs". You believe various goofy ideas, not because they make sense in the real world, but out of loyalty to your religion. Rather than placing complete trust and confidence in Jesus Christ, you are placing your confidence in other men, who are hamstrung by their culture. You have a strong belief in a dogma of your religion, which is not based in truth. It's goofy.

Your so-called doctrine of the hypostatic union is goofy. Silly, wacky foolish, whatever you want to call it. The idea that Jesus is 100% God and 100% man is absurd. Your goofy doctrine is inconsistent with reason and common sense. Only someone committed to a religious dogma will affirm the irrational belief that something or someone can have more than one nature. pbbbt.

Consider any other dichotomy or antithesis and one can see the problem.

100% hot, 100% cold; Either something is hot or it is cold. It isn't hot and cold at the same time.
100%out, 100%safe (baseball); Either the player was out or he was safe. Not both.
100%dark, 100%light; Either a man is a son of darkness or he is a son of light
100%fictional, 100%real; Either Micky Mouse is a real person or a cartoon character
100%alive, 100%dead; A person placed into a coffin better be dead.
100%God, 100%man. Either Jesus is a man or he isn't.

All goofy ideas.

Due to the fact that an ecumenical council, hamstrung by Aristotle, an ancient philosopher/scientist's incorrect theories about how the world works, and death threats from a diabolical institution claiming to represent Jesus, we have this goofy idea, which is like an electrified fence. Anyone who touches it gets killed.

But our faith is not contrary to reason. Reason isn't the enemy of faith; fantasy is.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First of all, you have no idea how much I have studied this out. Secondly, Jesus, not some ecumenical council, is my authority.

You enjoy the comfort and security of allowing others to do your thinking. Your comments display the devils bargain with authoritarian rule: He gives you comfort and a sense of security in exchange for blind obedience. You have "religious beliefs" rather than "rational beliefs". You believe various goofy ideas, not because they make sense in the real world, but out of loyalty to your religion. Rather than placing complete trust and confidence in Jesus Christ, you are placing your confidence in other men, who are hamstrung by their culture. You have a strong belief in a dogma of your religion, which is not based in truth. It's goofy.

Your so-called doctrine of the hypostatic union is goofy. Silly, wacky foolish, whatever you want to call it. The idea that Jesus is 100% God and 100% man is absurd. Your goofy doctrine is inconsistent with reason and common sense. Only someone committed to a religious dogma will affirm the irrational belief that something or someone can have more than one nature. pbbbt.

Consider any other dichotomy or antithesis and one can see the problem.

100% hot, 100% cold; Either something is hot or it is cold. It isn't hot and cold at the same time.
100%out, 100%safe (baseball); Either the player was out or he was safe. Not both.
100%dark, 100%light; Either a man is a son of darkness or he is a son of light
100%fictional, 100%real; Either Micky Mouse is a real person or a cartoon character
100%alive, 100%dead; A person placed into a coffin better be dead.
100%God, 100%man. Either Jesus is a man or he isn't.

All goofy ideas.

Due to the fact that an ecumenical council, hamstrung by Aristotle, an ancient philosopher/scientist's incorrect theories about how the world works, and death threats from a diabolical institution claiming to represent Jesus, we have this goofy idea, which is like an electrified fence. Anyone who touches it gets killed.

But our faith is not contrary to reason. Reason isn't the enemy of faith; fantasy is.
So you do not believe Jesus is God ?

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you believe Jesus was a real man correct ?
Correct. Jesus is a real man. He was born of the woman Mary in the house of David; he grew in wisdom and knowledge of the scriptures; he worked in the family business until he was called into ministry; he cried, got tired, ate supper, prayed, walked places, and slept outdoors. He obeyed his father even unto death. Upon his resurrection, he ascended to sit at the right hand of the father, making intercession for the saints.

And yet, according to Paul,

Hebrews 1:1-4
God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world. And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much better than the angels, as He has inherited a more excellent name than they.

What is the name the Father gave Jesus? "Son"

All of this makes total sense outside and apart from the hypostatic union doctrine.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct. Jesus is a real man. He was born of the woman Mary in the house of David; he grew in wisdom and knowledge of the scriptures; he worked in the family business until he was called into ministry; he cried, got tired, ate supper, prayed, walked places, and slept outdoors. He obeyed his father even unto death. Upon his resurrection, he ascended to sit at the right hand of the father, making intercession for the saints.

And yet, according to Paul,

Hebrews 1:1-4
God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world. And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much better than the angels, as He has inherited a more excellent name than they.

What is the name the Father gave Jesus? "Son"

All of this makes total sense outside and apart from the hypostatic union doctrine.

I think you believe in the HU but not the way its articulated. JMHO.

If you believe Jesus is God and man then its a confirmation of the theological doctrine known as the Hypostatic Union, the 2 natures in Christ as both Divine and human, God and man.

It appears to me you believe it without all the theological lingo that goes along with explaining it.

hope this helps !!!

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Did Jesus have Faith ?
There are many scriptures that testify that Jesus have faith. Here's a couple.

Jesus was born under the law. He submitted to the Law and obeyed the commandments therein. That would tell us that He believed the Law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good. That clearly is having faith in God who gave the Law.

Jesus always pray to the Father in heaven. That is clearly having faith in the Father in heaven.

Tong
R1130

Reactions: CadyandZoe

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you believe in the HU but not the way its articulated. JMHO.

If you believe Jesus is God and man then its a confirmation of the theological doctrine known as the Hypostatic Union, the 2 natures in Christ as both Divine and human, God and man.

It appears to me you believe it without all the theological lingo that goes along with explaining it.

hope this helps !!!
I do not believe that anything or anyone, including Jesus has two natures. This includes the Eucharist, which, Catholics teach, is literally the body of Christ even though it looks, smells, and tastes like bread.

For further reading see Accident (philosophy) - Wikipedia