Did Jesus really do magic?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
Moses didn't do magic. God gave Him the ability to turn His staff into a snake. It's a devine gift that no magician can replicate.

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
This has nothing to do with what G-d gave Moses its what Moses gained from 40 years in Egypt.Not disputing the factual statements in the Bible we know those are truths........Need to look outside the Christian Left and Right because things are not always in a neat little package if you know what I mean......

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(Wakka;38956)
Moses didn't do magic. God gave Him the ability to turn His staff into a snake. It's a devine gift that no magician can replicate.
:amen:

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
Might as well accept it for what it is.....proofs in the pudding no amount of Amens are going to change it..........sorry.

Dunamite

Nov 15, 2007
(yellowstar;38288)
Hello everyone, God bless.My preacher Howard is very good at answering questions on the Bible. Last week I asked him if Jesus could really do magic like in the Bible. He said that he does'nt believe that Jesus had any magical powers, but that the important thing is that people learn the stories in the Bible.Howard really turned his life arround after he got out of jail, and became a preast, my dad says. So I guess I agree with Howard. Well some kids at school say that Jesus did'nt have any powers or magic, but they dont go to church. So I dont know. Maybe he was a magician like Criss Angel on TV.I remember Howard telling stories of Jesus flying and changing perfume into oil. I wish I could do that! Maybe if I pray enough. Anyway, I'm not very good with understanding the Bible, but I try.So I say like Howard, he probably did'nt have magical powers. My brother also thinks he was a magician like Criss angel or David Blain on TV. But the Bible stories are cool anyway so we go to church on sundays.:bible:
There is no such thing as magic. Jesus did not need magic. God made the natural laws and can manipulate them for his purposes. Magic suggests that natural laws are being broken and that there is no natural explanation.In his book the Physics of Christianity, Frank J. Tipler goes through the miracles of the Bible and provides a scientific explanation for each, including the virgin birth. It appears that God is a scientist too. He knows the natural laws because he made them. If you know the laws then you do not need to break them. You just need the sort of power (infinite) and knowledge (infinite) and you can do anything without breaking a natural law.This is not to say that God could not break the laws if he chose. However, it isn't necessary because he does have the power and the knowledge needed. Breaking his own laws would actually be a sign of weakness. It would mean that God's knowledge and power had limits. When he wrote the rules by which the universe worked he made them such that they were perfect for his purposes. To think that he had to violate or suspend his own natural laws would show poor planning. If you believe that God is sovereign and all knowing then you would think that he did foresee everything.If you read the book you will need a strong background in science. It is a great read if you persevere. This is an eminent scientist who is willing to put his reputation on the line saying that God exists and that miracles were real events that are not only possible but are plausible, if you know what God knows and what we are beginning to see.Tipler makes a case that God does exist. He is as real as the universe that he made. He makes a case that there is good science to back up what God has done in making the universe and into revealing himself to us. From the parting of the Red Sea to his ascension and resurrection there is no magic.He has written several other books. There are other Christians who are also scientists who are willing to step out in faith and obedience and say that God has the whole universe in his hands and can do whatever he wants in it without resorting to trickery or magic. Some people may have a problem with his Roman Catholicism. He talks at length about Mary, saints and relics such as the Shroud of Turin.Another is Francis Collins who headed the Human Genome Project. He has written much about how he sees the hand of God in strings of DNA. One caution is that he believes in evolution and sees no contradiction between evolution and Christianity. He calls his view of evolution based on God, BioLogos. If you can get past this then his writings are as compelling as Tipler's and he is easier to read. An interview with him can be found here: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...7/findrelig.DTL

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
again depends on your defenition of magic if you call understanding the laws of universeand being able to controll or suspend them magic then I guess you could be right in a sense I prefer that God knows his naturals Laws better than us and can use them as he sees fit. I think of magic as an illusion so in my case I wouldnt call it magic

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
(GospelJazz;41775)
Because of their unbelief.
I think you should read that agian.Here it refers to healing: 56And whithersoever he entered, into villages, or cities, or country, they laid the sick in the streets, and besought him that they might touch if it were but the border of his garment: and as many as touched him were made whole.

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
(kriss;39332)
again depends on your defenition of magic if you call understanding the laws of universeand being able to controll or suspend them magic then I guess you could be right in a sense I prefer that God knows his naturals Laws better than us and can use them as he sees fit. I think of magic as an illusion so in my case I wouldnt call it magic
I prefer God knows his laws better than all,He made the laws for a reason he knows what he did is not magic,yet a miracle of his creation in my mind. I have been a magic assistant for a while now,I see how the tricks work you would say wow thats magic. I would say wow that is trickery,the magician tricks you into believing his dove dissapeared,when it is right there. By saying God does magic is that not saying he is a trickster? Because what God did was no trickery,he truly healed the unhealable,he unblinded the blinded. Stuff we say is "magic" but look how could it be magic(trickery) when it truly happened? When the healed walked,the blind saw? So I am saying God knows how to work his laws of nature!