Did Jesus really do magic?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

yellowstar

Feb 27, 2008
Hello everyone, God bless.My preacher Howard is very good at answering questions on the Bible. Last week I asked him if Jesus could really do magic like in the Bible. He said that he does'nt believe that Jesus had any magical powers, but that the important thing is that people learn the stories in the Bible.Howard really turned his life arround after he got out of jail, and became a preast, my dad says. So I guess I agree with Howard. Well some kids at school say that Jesus did'nt have any powers or magic, but they dont go to church. So I dont know. Maybe he was a magician like Criss Angel on TV.I remember Howard telling stories of Jesus flying and changing perfume into oil. I wish I could do that! Maybe if I pray enough. Anyway, I'm not very good with understanding the Bible, but I try.So I say like Howard, he probably did'nt have magical powers. My brother also thinks he was a magician like Criss angel or David Blain on TV. But the Bible stories are cool anyway so we go to church on sundays.:bible:

GospelJazz

Feb 27, 2008
It wasn't magic, it was the anointing: "How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him." Acts 10:38

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
It's not magic. Jesus is the Son of God, and He could have done anything He wanted in a command.

yellowstar

Feb 27, 2008
But if he was the son of God, why did he get on a cross to be killed?You say he can do anything, but my grandmother is sick and he can't heal her.

kentots

Feb 20, 2008
Jesus died on the cross to save us. Think about it like this a group of people were in trouble, all but one was guilty. Then this person took the punishment of all the people who were in trouble so that they would be saved. Jesus sacrificed himself to atone for our sinfulness. Without his sacrifice we would still be guilty of sin. Jesus loves us, that is why he died for us.

lilithb

Dec 5, 2007
Right! It was not magic, it was anointing. Magic is, any art that invokes supernatural powers. Jesus was anointed and his power came from God not just any art which invoked supenatural powers.Jesus chose to die on that cross , he did not have to do it. By doing so he gave us eternal life. It was through his willing sacrifice that we do have eternal life. Spirit never dies.He can heal your grandmother, yellowstar. Everything is done to his will. Everything in its own time. Paul was not healed from his afflictions and prayed to be released from it but God told Paul that HIS grace from sufficient enough and never did heal him from it.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(yellowstar;38418)
But if he was the son of God, why did he get on a cross to be killed?You say he can do anything, but my grandmother is sick and he can't heal her.
He took our place on the cross. He died legally for us, and went to hell for us. (But was then resurrected and taken to heaven.)The reason why I said legally, is because any other way would have been unjust.

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
(yellowstar;38288)
My preacher Howard is very good at answering questions on the Bible. Last week I asked him if Jesus could really do magic like in the Bible. He said that he does'nt believe that Jesus had any magical powers..
Jesus brought dead bodies to life, so if that's not 'magic' I don't know what is..
smile.gif
I mean, not even David Blaine or Criss Angel can do that as far as I know?Look at it this way -Jesus was a young country-boy carpenter from a group of mud huts called Nazareth in the middle of nowhere, yet 2000 years later he's a household name and is the founder of the world's biggest religion, so what do you think it was that made him so famous if not his 'magic'?

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
(yellowstar;38418)
Hello Yellowstar, Not only can Jesus heal your grandmother, but He wants to.Jesus died on the cross for everyone, and those that believe on Him, and receive His free gift of salvation,[ By asking Jesus into their lives, and live for Him]. will be saved. Healing was also provided for on the cross, and Jesus told His followers to Heal the sick. Tell your grandmother, "Jesus died for her, and wants to heal her".

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
(Wakka;38302)
It's not magic. Jesus is the Son of God, and He could have done anything He wanted in a command.
If that is true why didn't Jesus heal the people in Mark 6: 5--6.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(Alanforchrist;38585)
If that is true why didn't Jesus heal the people in Mark 6: 5--6.
Also Christ could not do anything of his own, without his fathers permission.Can't remember the verse right now.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(yellowstar;38288)
Hello everyone, God bless.My preacher Howard is very good at answering questions on the Bible. Last week I asked him if Jesus could really do magic like in the Bible. He said that he does'nt believe that Jesus had any magical powers, but that the important thing is that people learn the stories in the Bible.Howard really turned his life arround after he got out of jail, and became a preast, my dad says. So I guess I agree with Howard. Well some kids at school say that Jesus did'nt have any powers or magic, but they dont go to church. So I dont know. Maybe he was a magician like Criss Angel on TV.I remember Howard telling stories of Jesus flying and changing perfume into oil. I wish I could do that! Maybe if I pray enough. Anyway, I'm not very good with understanding the Bible, but I try.So I say like Howard, he probably did'nt have magical powers. My brother also thinks he was a magician like Criss angel or David Blain on TV. But the Bible stories are cool anyway so we go to church on sundays.:bible:
Jesus didn't do magic as you are describing did he do miracles ? yes, but what does that mean ?? In those days if he had created electricity it would have been called a miracle. Today we understand it as science. Gods universe operates on laws rather it be the laws of Nature or the laws of gravity.The fact that Christ understood the Laws of things and could use them or suspend them for a time Was no more magic to him then turning on a light switch to us. These are simply laws and rules of the Universe that as humans we do not fully understand nor have the power to manipulate

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
Jesus was not magical in a sense. Miracles I agree with Kriss. The only one I know that practiced any form of magic was Moses. There was a 7,8,9 chapters of the Bible that never got published because Moses practiced magic and they were left out of the Bible for that reason.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(Two;38698)
Jesus was not magical in a sense. Miracles I agree with Kriss. The only one I know that practiced any form of magic was Moses. There was a 7,8,9 chapters of the Bible that never got published because Moses practiced magic and they were left out of the Bible for that reason.
How did Moses practice magic?

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(setfree;38704)
God granted Moses the ability to turn his staff into a snake.Read Exodus.

Dragon

Jun 11, 2007
Here's the way I look at it.When someone does something. there is always going to be a certain perseption made about it, reguardless if you know about it or not.Magic is the feeling you get when you witness or experience something. Unfortunetely, most people can only get this feeling of magic when something happens if they don't inderstand how, because their senses will become dulled to it otherwise. Please remember this definition of magic.See, a miricle is an accomplishment that makes you feel magic. A Miricle happens every single day, and don't let anyone tell you any different. The thing is, are people's definition of miricle. A miricle can be a pregnant woman falling 30,000 feet out of a plane and landing stomach first, and still have both her and her baby survive, or a miricle can be a snow flake falling out of the sky or a flower growing. It's just that one makes you feel magic, and the other one dosen't, because it's being taken for granted, and therefor, only one of those scenerios will be labelled a miricle.Jesus performed miricles.Here's the thing with magic though, because of our nature of dulled senses and taking things for granted, you have to not understand the physical workings of something in order to consider it magic. It's really bad, because it's at the point now where it can be a dirty phrase to say that everything has a physical working.I say It's dumb, because everything does indeed have a physical working, but it dosen't make it any less magical or a miricle. people will say "no, there wasn't a physical working, it was magic!" as if It's got to be one or the other.If you lived 3000 years ago and you saw me pull up in a car, you would say it was magic, and you'd most definitely be right. but once someone learns how to make a car, they say "hey, you have to put these parts with these parts over here! It's not magic after all!" People that think like that don't get it.When you see someone perform a miricle, there is a way they are doing it, and It's even enough to still concider it magic if you know that they have a way of doing it, as long as that way of doing it is beyond your abilities. But once someone else gains those abilities, they don't look at it as a gain of ability, they just act like a diproval of magic.When Jesus turns water into wine, we say it's a miricle, and it is. So i would ask, "how did jesus perform that miricle" and I'd try to find out. Lets say that ina 1000 years from now, (extremely hypothetically speaking) we find out that by meditating and getting your blood to be very hot, that you can burn water molecules with your hand, and in that state, you can extract other molecules from those, and when your hand cools down, those leftover molecules will turn to wine, people would say that turning water to wine isn't a miricle, that your "just" using a molecule technique.What they wouldn't understand is that the molecule techniques IS the maghic, it IS the miricle, the technicalities don't matter, they never did. The REAL miricles in life are the snowflakes falling from the sky, our senses are dulled to that.If every single one of us had magical powers, we wouldn't consider then magical powers at all, it would just be a normal way of life. Therefor, that wouldn't even be the definition of magic in the first place.Magic is the feeling you get when you see or experience something.If we were somehow all knowing, then every act would seem just as important as the other, even the concequences. our senses would be dulled to nothing, and nothing would be taken for granted. Something being contributed to the world would be equally looked at from one circumstance to the other. Building a planet would be looked at the same way as putting together a piece of grass. Building a rocket to the moon would be looked at the same way as walking to your friends house. You already know how to do it, you already know what's there. That's not the point, the point is weather or not you're happy with that information, because If you're happy with the ability to fly to the moon, then in your omniscient state, you would be just as happy walking to your friends house.This is what Jesus is teaching us, be in awe of the things we understand and not just the things we don't.Jesus was a healer, he understood the universe and everything in it and how it worked. To him, turning water to wine and making the blind see, or making the lame walk, was absolutely no different than watering a flower growing out of the ground.

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
(setfree;38586)
Also Christ could not do anything of his own, without his fathers permission.Can't remember the verse right now.
You will find them in John 5: 19 & 30, John 8: 28--29,

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
(setfree;38704)
Thats the mystery of it...chapters 7,8, and 9 were never put in the bible I do not know the particulars of it I have seen the book on the Bay but did not buy it. Sounds ridiculous I know because it does not fit neatly into our little Christian Doctrine but there was a 7,8,9 that never got put into the Bible. I should rephrase that to mean book 7 8 9 not chapters sorry...........this gives some insight though it is confusing:http://www.esotericarchives.com/solomon/sword.htmYou can actually order the 6th and 7th books here:http://www.sorcerers-apprentice.co.uk/67moses.htmThough I do not know if they are still available.One thing you have to understand is that Moses spent 40 years in Egypt and he learned a lot of the magical rituals and Egyptian rhetoric in the way of magic. This is a little known fact about one of the most famous prophets in the bible......

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
I see God doing miracles(divine intervention) through Moses. Magic on the other hand is more like illusions(sleight of the hand). Magic- people can learn to do, but miracles can only be done by God.

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
There is a distinct difference in the 2 thats for sure but people deny the unpublished works which do exist but like I said they are hard to come by and Google has very info on them..G-d performed miracles through Moses such as parting the Red Sea but as was said Moses spent 40 years in Egypt he learned some of the Egyptian culture and the perfroming of magic was one.