Did Jesus rise Good Friday to Easter Sunday Morning according the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know, right? Some folks liken Jesus' time in the tomb as a hotel reservation. When making a hotel reservation, a partial day is counted as a full day. :)
Same thing for rental car agencies. I tried to argue that 2 PM Monday to noon Thursday was 70 hours, but they still charged me for 4 days. There was no way I was going to win that argument.

Reactions: CadyandZoe

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet there wasn't even a part of a 3rd night in that timeline.

Jesus was specific, three days and three nights, thus eliminating that timeline.

Much love!

I won't argue the point but provide the following as explained many years ago on another forum, by a Greek Orthodox priest:

So the question is, how can Christ have risen on the third day, after three days, and once three days and nights have passed? Was Christ contradicting himself? No, but Christ was speaking in such a manner that not everyone could understand him, but that biblically both statements were true at the same time.

Remember that we have to look at how the early Christians thought about these things. They were taught directly by the Apostles and handed down the very Scriptures we have today. The early Church Fathers, the early liturgical sources, and Scripture itself answers this question.

Remember that Scripture clearly defines the first definitions of day and night. "The light he called day, and the darkness he called night." This was before sun and moon starts. Scripture is clear that there was darkness over all the earth (land) from noon to 3pm. St. Mark states that Christ was crucified at the 3rd hour of the day (9am). That means, for 3 hours light (day 9am-noon), or 3 hours darkness (night noon-3pm), for another three hours day again (3pm-sundown), then night (sundown to sunrise), then day again (sunrise to dark on Saturday), then night again.

This gives us three days and three nights.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I won't argue the point but provide the following as explained many years ago on another forum, by a Greek Orthodox priest:

So the question is, how can Christ have risen on the third day, after three days, and once three days and nights have passed? Was Christ contradicting himself? No, but Christ was speaking in such a manner that not everyone could understand him, but that biblically both statements were true at the same time.

Remember that we have to look at how the early Christians thought about these things. They were taught directly by the Apostles and handed down the very Scriptures we have today. The early Church Fathers, the early liturgical sources, and Scripture itself answers this question.

Remember that Scripture clearly defines the first definitions of day and night. "The light he called day, and the darkness he called night." This was before sun and moon starts. Scripture is clear that there was darkness over all the earth (land) from noon to 3pm. St. Mark states that Christ was crucified at the 3rd hour of the day (9am). That means, for 3 hours light (day 9am-noon), or 3 hours darkness (night noon-3pm), for another three hours day again (3pm-sundown), then night (sundown to sunrise), then day again (sunrise to dark on Saturday), then night again.

This gives us three days and three nights.
Darkness and light are not a day,

Genesis 1:5 KJV
And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Genesis 1:8 KJV
And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

Also, that 3 hours of darkness was before He died, and was buried.

Much love!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, I get that. But Jesus' prediction is not "everyday conversation." And as far as I know, no one would say that two nights is three nights.
We may not, but they did it was how they spoke in everyday language. Jesus was not conversing in some other culture outside of normal day to day Jewish culture.
I don't think we need to play games with what Jesus said, since there is a way to work this out so that Jesus was in the tomb for three whole days and three whole nights.
Not according to the Scriptures.

Unleave3ned bread- the seven days always went from a sabbath (saturday to saturday) to a sabbath. Passover fell on a friday whixch was teh day of preparation.

The Pharisees wished for the bodies to be killed so they would not hang there on the sabbath for it was a high sabbbath!

Jesus ate the Seder the night before He was killed- which would make it our Thursday night but Friday in Jewish reckoning!

It isn't any clearer and explicit than that according to Gods Word as written.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Darkness and light are not a day,

Genesis 1:5 KJV
And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Genesis 1:8 KJV
And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

Also, that 3 hours of darkness was before He died, and was buried.

Much love!
Consider only verses 1-4 of Genesis One. Day and Night were not defined before verse 5. I provided what I did for information and study. What is time to God? What is time to men? Do what you will with it.

Reactions: marks

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Barnabas. . . so? "kata heortehn" "for / according to the custom of the feast"
And how does <Matthew 27:16> have anything to do with John who nowhere says the Last Supper was the day before Passover?
View attachment 44034
You asked where it is said that the Last Supper was on the Passover.
Didn't I say Matthew 26:17? I think I did.

Of course, the NT authors don't call it "The Last Supper." That name came later, but it refers to the same meal.

Jesus ate the Passover on the same day everyone else did.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Jesus ate the Passover on the Day of Passover.
Yes, Jesus ate the Passover on the Day of Passover, and no, because, 1. Jesus did not eat any meal - food, at all; and 2. Jesus did "eat" - experientially, SUFFERING the death for sin, alive, and then SUFFERING death, actually DYING the death for sin -- our sin; and 3. It was <the Passover on the Day of Passover>, but there were THREE days "the first day of Passover":
Last Week:

“THREE DAYS” 1. <DEATH> THURSDAY Abib 14 was "THE FIRST DAY" Last Week: 1 day “before” (Friday) Abib 15 2Chronicles 35:4,6,10,14 “prepared passover … KILLED the passover” = Exodus 12:15a “when they REMOVED leaven” = Leviticus 23:22,10 “when ye REAP the corners ... bring the first sheaf” Mark 14:12—
15:41 “WHEN THEY ALWAYS KILLED THE PASSOVER” = Luke 22:7—23:49 “WHEN THEY HAD TO KILL THE PASSOVER” = Mark 14:2 “not on the feast” = Matthew 26:5 “not on the feast” = John 19:14-30 “THE PREPARATION OF THE PASSOVER” = Matthew 26:17—27:56THE FIRST DAY LEAVEN WAS REMOVED / THE FIRST DAY WITHOUT LEAVEN” = John 12:32,34; 8:28 “the Son of Man must be LIFTED UP” = John 13:1—19:30 “before the feast ... HIS HOUR ... it was NIGHT ...” = 1CORINTHIANS 11:23 "THE NIGHT IN WHICH THE LORD WAS BETRAYED" = JOHN 16:32 “THE HOUR ... ye shall be scattered every man”

Last Week:

“THREE DAYS” 2. <BURIAL> FRIDAY “Abib 15” the SECOND of “Three days” was the “rest”–“store”–“prostrate down” “FEAST” Day of Passover Exodus 12:15,17,18,42,51 = “THE FIRST DAY OF SEVEN DAYS YE SHALL EAT UNLEAVENED BREAD” Exodus 12:15b;
12:18b Leviticus 23:6 Mark 15:42-47 “HAVING BEEN EVENING ALREADY since the Preparation WHICH IS THE FORE-SABBATH HAVING BEGUN” = John 19:31-42 “SINCE THE PREPARATION HAD BEGUN ... BECAUSE THAT DAY WAS great-day-sabbath (of passover)” = Matthew 27:57-61 = Luke 23:50-56a

Last Week:

“THREE DAYS” 3. <RESURRECTION> FRIDAY EVENING : “Three days”, “the third day” of: BEGINNING: Luke 23:50-56b “THEY BEGAN TO REST THE SABBATH according to the (Fourth) Commandment” “The third day I RISE” “The third day I FINISH”. NO Women, NO Man = “the next day that followed”: Matthew 27: “62 Now the next day, that followed the Day of the Preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate, 63Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again. 64Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first. 65Pilate said unto them, Ye have a watch: go your way, make it as sure as ye can. 66So they went, and made the sepulchre sure, sealing the stone, and setting a watch, 28:1however, in the end of the Sabbath, late, as it began to dawn toward the First Day of the week and Mary Magdalene and the other Mary set out to see the sepulchre, 2behold, there was a great earthquake! For the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and cast back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. 3His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow: 4And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men
And THIS the "third", "first day", was the "first day counted" of the fifty days up to and until 'Pentecost', 'The Fiftieth Day' or 'Shavuot'.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We may not, but they did it was how they spoke in everyday language. Jesus was not conversing in some other culture outside of normal day to day Jewish culture.
No but everyday culture doesn't use precise language. Jesus' prediction uses precise language because the details of a prophecy are the elements of falsification. If Jesus was only in the tomb for two nights, when he said he would be in the tomb for three nights, that would be an error.
Not according to the Scriptures.
I disagree. According to the proper interpretation of all four Gospel accounts, Jesus was in the tomb for three whole days and three whole nights.
Unleave3ned bread- the seven days always went from a sabbath (saturday to saturday) to a sabbath. Passover fell on a friday whixch was teh day of preparation.
Okay, we agree on that.
It isn't any clearer and explicit than that according to Gods Word as written.
Apparently, it isn't as straightforward as you suggest since Christians and atheists both argue the issue.

The solution is simple once one accounts for both the High Sabbath and the Weekly Sabbath.

As you say, the Jews account for the days from sunset to sunset. The Weekly Sabbath runs from Sunset Friday to Sunset Saturday. Let me abbreviate this as Friday/Saturday.

Passion Week

Passover -- Tuesday/Wednesday (crucifixion)
High Sabbath -- Wednesday/Thursday (Day one)
Day of preparation -- Thursday/Friday (Day two)
Weekly Sabbath -- Friday/Saturday (Day three)
Resurrection day -- Sunday

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear friend, WHERE have you read this?
Easy to look up.

Matthew 12:40

for just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the sea monster, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Jonah 1:17
17 And the Lord appointed a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the (A)stomach of the fish three days and three nights.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Jesus ate the Passover on the Day of Passover, and no, because, 1. Jesus did not eat any meal - food, at all; and 2. Jesus did "eat" - experientially, SUFFERING the death for sin, alive, and then SUFFERING death, actually DYING the death for sin -- our sin; and 3. It was <the Passover on the Day of Passover>, but there were THREE days "the first day of Passover":
Wow, imaginations run wild.

Yes, Jesus ate food. Read and review Matthew 26 where it says that Jesus ate food.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Easy to look up.

Matthew 12:40

for just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the sea monster, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Jonah 1:17
17 And the Lord appointed a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the (A)stomach of the fish three days and three nights.

But you said: <Jesus said he would be in the ground the same amount of time that Johah was in the whale.>
That is not <easy to look up>, it's impossible.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Wow, imaginations run wild.

Yes, Jesus ate food. Read and review Matthew 26 where it says that Jesus ate food.

Lukas 22:14b-20
Καὶ . . . ἀνέπεσεν, καὶ οἱ (δώδεκα) ἀπόστολοι σὺν αὐτῷ. καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτούς Ἐπιθυμίᾳ ἐπεθύμησα
And ... He sat down and the twelve apostles with him. And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat

τοῦτο τὸ πάσχα φαγεῖν μεθ’ ὑμῶν πρὸ τοῦ με παθεῖν· λέγω γὰρ ὑμῖν ὅτι οὐκέτι οὐ μὴ φάγω αὐτὸ (ἐξ αὐτοῦ)
this passover with you before I suffer. For I say unto you I will not however eat thereof/out of it

ἕως ὅτου πληρωθῇ ἐν τῇ βασιλείᾳ τοῦ Θεοῦ.
until it is fulfilledin the Kingdom of God.

καὶ δεξάμενος (τὸ) ποτήριον εὐχαριστήσας εἶπεν Λάβετε τοῦτο καὶ διαμερίσατε (ἑαυτοῖς) εἰς ἑαυτούς·
And he took the cup and gave thanks and said, Take ye this and divide it among yourselves:

λέγω γὰρ ὑμῖν, (ὅτι) οὐ μὴ πίω ἀπὸ τοῦ νῦν ἀπὸ τοῦ γενήματος τῆς ἀμπέλου
for I say unto you, I will not drink from now on of the fruit of the vine

ἕως (ὅτου) οὗ ἡ βασιλεία τοῦ Θεοῦ ἔλθῃ. καὶ λαβὼν ἄρτον εὐχαριστήσας ἔκλασεν

as long as it might take the Kingdom of God to come. And he took bread and gave thanks and brake it

καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτοῖς λέγων Τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ σῶμά μου τὸ ὑπὲρ ὑμῶν
and gave unto them, saying, This is the Body of Mine

διδόμενον· τοῦτο ποιεῖτε εἰς τὴν ἐμὴν ἀνάμνησιν.
given in behalf of you, this do ye, in remembrance of me.

καὶ τὸ ποτήριον ὡσαύτως μετὰ τὸ δειπνῆσαι, λέγων
Likewise to supper’s procedure the cup, having said

Τοῦτο τὸ ποτήριον ἡ καινὴ διαθήκη ἐν τῷ αἵματί μου, τὸ ὑπὲρ ὑμῶν ἐκχυννόμενον.
This cup [of my Suffering] is the New testament in my blood which is shed out for you.

And there are three more Gospels saying no different.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lukas 22:14b-20
Καὶ . . . ἀνέπεσεν, καὶ οἱ (δώδεκα) ἀπόστολοι σὺν αὐτῷ. καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτούς Ἐπιθυμίᾳ ἐπεθύμησα
And ... He sat down and the twelve apostles with him. And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat

τοῦτο τὸ πάσχα φαγεῖν μεθ’ ὑμῶν πρὸ τοῦ με παθεῖν· λέγω γὰρ ὑμῖν ὅτι οὐκέτι οὐ μὴ φάγω αὐτὸ (ἐξ αὐτοῦ)
this passover with you before I suffer. For I say unto you I will not however eat thereof/out of it

ἕως ὅτου πληρωθῇ ἐν τῇ βασιλείᾳ τοῦ Θεοῦ.
until it is fulfilledin the Kingdom of God.

καὶ δεξάμενος (τὸ) ποτήριον εὐχαριστήσας εἶπεν Λάβετε τοῦτο καὶ διαμερίσατε (ἑαυτοῖς) εἰς ἑαυτούς·
And he took the cup and gave thanks and said, Take ye this and divide it among yourselves:

λέγω γὰρ ὑμῖν, (ὅτι) οὐ μὴ πίω ἀπὸ τοῦ νῦν ἀπὸ τοῦ γενήματος τῆς ἀμπέλου
for I say unto you, I will not drink from now on of the fruit of the vine

ἕως (ὅτου) οὗ ἡ βασιλεία τοῦ Θεοῦ ἔλθῃ. καὶ λαβὼν ἄρτον εὐχαριστήσας ἔκλασεν

as long as it might take the Kingdom of God to come. And he took bread and gave thanks and brake it

καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτοῖς λέγων Τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ σῶμά μου τὸ ὑπὲρ ὑμῶν
and gave unto them, saying, This is the Body of Mine

διδόμενον· τοῦτο ποιεῖτε εἰς τὴν ἐμὴν ἀνάμνησιν.
given in behalf of you, this do ye, in remembrance of me.

καὶ τὸ ποτήριον ὡσαύτως μετὰ τὸ δειπνῆσαι, λέγων
Likewise to supper’s procedure the cup, having said

Τοῦτο τὸ ποτήριον ἡ καινὴ διαθήκη ἐν τῷ αἵματί μου, τὸ ὑπὲρ ὑμῶν ἐκχυννόμενον.
This cup [of my Suffering] is the New testament in my blood which is shed out for you.

And there are three more Gospels saying no different.
So Jesus DID eat and drink. :)

Perhaps you don't know that the Passover meal is a scripted event known as a Seder. The Passover meal is intended as a pedagogical event intended to teach the children about the Exodus and to strengthen the bond of all those who shared this common experience. During the Passover meal, the father of the household raises one of several elements, perhaps the matzah or the wine. The children ask, "What is the meaning of the Matzah Father?" The Father then gives the interpretation of the bread according to the Midrash.

During the last Passover meal, Jesus purposefully reinterpreted the meaning of the Seder elements, giving them a new Midrash. Jesus held up the matzah, and instead of giving the old interpretation according to the typical Midrash, he gave the Matzah a new interpretation: "This (bread) is my body," he said. From that moment forward, Christians unite around the New interpretation of the elements, which form the common experience of the New Covenant.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
So Jesus DID eat and drink. :)

Perhaps you don't know that the Passover meal is a scripted event known as a Seder. The Passover meal is intended as a pedagogical event intended to teach the children about the Exodus and to strengthen the bond of all those who shared this common experience. During the Passover meal, the father of the household raises one of several elements, perhaps the matzah or the wine. The children ask, "What is the meaning of the Matzah Father?" The Father then gives the interpretation of the bread according to the Midrash.

During the last Passover meal, Jesus purposefully reinterpreted the meaning of the Seder elements, giving them a new Midrash. Jesus held up the matzah, and instead of giving the old interpretation according to the typical Midrash, he gave the Matzah a new interpretation: "This (bread) is my body," he said. From that moment forward, Christians unite around the New interpretation of the elements, which form the common experience of the New Covenant.

Re: <So Jesus DID eat and drink.>
So you can't read - which is untrue of course, meaning you are bullshitting with the things of God.