Did Jezebel commit sexual immorality?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Historically, 1 Kings 18:

19 Now summon the people from all over Israel to meet me on Mount Carmel. And bring the four hundred and fifty prophets of Baal and the four hundred prophets of Asherah, who eat at Jezebel’s table.”
Wiki:

According to the biblical narrative, Jezebel, along with her husband, instituted the worship of Baal and Asherah on a national scale. In addition, she violently purged the prophets of Yahweh from Israel, damaging the reputation of the Omride dynasty.[5][6][7][8] For these offences, the Omride dynasty was annihilated, with Jezebel herself suffering death by defenestration.
Later, in the Book of Revelation, Jezebel is symbolically associated with false prophets.[9]
Rev 2:

14 But I have a few things against you: you have some there who hold the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the sons of Israel, so that they might eat food sacrificed to idols and practice sexual immorality.
In the OT, idolatry worships were often accompanied by the practice of sexual immorality with Canaanite women.

20 But I have this against you, that you tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess and is teaching and seducing my servants to practice sexual immorality and to eat food sacrificed to idols. 21 I gave her time to repent, but she refuses to repent of her sexual immorality.
There is no record of the historical Jezebel being sexually immoral and unfaithful to her husband. However, spiritually speaking, idolatry is often compared to sexual immorality and adultery. Jezebel in Revelation symbolizes that adulterous/idolatrous heart, Ezekiel 6:

9 Then in the nations where they have been carried captive, those who escape will remember me—how I have been grieved by their adulterous hearts, which have turned away from me, and by their eyes, which have lusted after their idols. They will loathe themselves for the evil they have done and for all their detestable practices.
Did Jezebel commit sexual immorality?

I don't think the historical Jezebel did. John used the historical figure to symbolize her infamous spiritual adultery, i.e., idolatry. She was unfaithful to the LORD.

Today, people use the term Jezebel spirit to describe a woman's seduction, deception, manipulation, and control. The term is not explicitly found in the Bible. I would not use it.