Homosexual acts are sinful?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TinMan

Mar 26, 2023
Michigan Saginaw
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First I'm hearing of it.

He probably thought the Garden Of Eden, Abraham, Joseph, etc. stories would get the point across well enough.
If that were the case then why all the rule making about polygamy?
I know that much of that's just mythology to skeptics but I think Moses was pretty serious about it. I usually try my best to explain this stuff in great detail to folks who are interested. And by "interested" I don't mean the social media equivalent of "looking for a good place to deposit some bodily waste."
well aren't you colorful today
What do you think the children of Israel would have done if God had straightened out all the wicked curves they picked up in Egypt?
and what were those?

No, I just have this remarkably superhuman ability to recognize patterns of discussion.

Just not your own.

TinMan

Mar 26, 2023
Michigan Saginaw
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:watching and waiting:

Are you Matt Dillahunty?

'Cause I think you are -lol.

Either you think someone out there knows why God does everything He does or you sincerely want to see people lose their faith in Him. I don't see any third way. But, then, I'm not your judge and you have to be free to follow the dictates of your conscience as you are convicted by God himself.

So why do you think people have to clean themselves up before they can come to Jesus for peace and rest?

That seems like a much bigger concern to me than isolated objections to God's strategies and tactics—maybe even a third way.

Some insults and no response to the actual post. Recognizing any patterns?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and what were those?

All the stuff you're whining about

Just not your own.
Some insults and no response to the actual post. Recognizing any patterns?

I'm not above exhibiting patterns.

Why are you pointing out "insults" and "non-responses?"

Do you think your own manner of discussion is characteristically devoid of these things or are we in some kind of score-keeping contest here?

Why don't we get some of the empty rhetoric out of the way and talk a little?

I'm trying to get you to discuss issues without just parroting pre-programmed, juvenile objections past people.

I think I'm actually having some success. coffee: (<---not coffee)

So, why do you think folks need to clean themselves up before they can come to Jesus to get peace and rest for their souls?

Reactions: mr mxyzptlk

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to my current reading of the Bible using First-Order Logic, yes homosexual acts are sinful. As usual, I could be wrong. FOL isn't the be-all and end-all. I am not a prophet of the Lord.

Leviticus 18:

Leviticus 20:

Romans 1:

1 Corinthians 6:

NIV Footnotes: [a] The words men who have sex with men translate two Greek words that refer to the passive and active participants in homosexual acts.

1 Timothy 1:

Jude 1:

1 Corinthians 7:

Are homosexual acts sinful?

For each of the above passages, list the pros and cons factors. Be exhaustive and objective in listing the factors. Then for each factor, assign a weight between 0 and 10. I would put a higher weight on Bible verses and a lower weight on extra-biblical writings. Try not to let your preconceived notions influence your weighting. Do this for all the pros and cons for all the passages, Sum up the weights for the pros. Sum up the weights for the cons. Decide for yourself probabilistically.

I use Occam's razor as one of the hermeneutic tools when I interpret Bible verses. Each of the above passages can be explained away by some ad-hoc nuance as referring to a man having sex with a temple prostitute, or a man having sex with a boy, or men having sex with angelic beings, etc. However, there is a simple unifying explanation: it is talking about a man having sex with another man, consented or not. This simple explanation satisfies all 7 passages nicely. To me, this simple unifying factor is worthy of a heavy weight.

See also:

I hope you decided homosexual acts ARE sinful. Leviticus 18:22 makes that quite clear.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to my current reading of the Bible using First-Order Logic, yes homosexual acts are sinful. As usual, I could be wrong. FOL isn't the be-all and end-all. I am not a prophet of the Lord.

Leviticus 18:

Leviticus 20:

Romans 1:

1 Corinthians 6:

NIV Footnotes: [a] The words men who have sex with men translate two Greek words that refer to the passive and active participants in homosexual acts.

1 Timothy 1:

Jude 1:

1 Corinthians 7:

Are homosexual acts sinful?

For each of the above passages, list the pros and cons factors. Be exhaustive and objective in listing the factors. Then for each factor, assign a weight between 0 and 10. I would put a higher weight on Bible verses and a lower weight on extra-biblical writings. Try not to let your preconceived notions influence your weighting. Do this for all the pros and cons for all the passages, Sum up the weights for the pros. Sum up the weights for the cons. Decide for yourself probabilistically.

I use Occam's razor as one of the hermeneutic tools when I interpret Bible verses. Each of the above passages can be explained away by some ad-hoc nuance as referring to a man having sex with a temple prostitute, or a man having sex with a boy, or men having sex with angelic beings, etc. However, there is a simple unifying explanation: it is talking about a man having sex with another man, consented or not. This simple explanation satisfies all 7 passages nicely. To me, this simple unifying factor is worthy of a heavy weight.

See also:

You need to stop ! The bible condemns all sexual activity outside of a marriage between a man and woman. If any of these "tools of logic" would lead you somewhere else, you need to reject that.
Proverbs 16:25
There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Whihle tools of human logic can be helpful- they are created by man and can run counter to Scripture.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
All the 'gay' people I have know have been very nice people and some were good friends too.

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the 'gay' people I have know have been very nice people and some were good friends too.

2 Corinthians 6:14
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion has light with darkness?