Did the disciples know that Jesus was God before his resurrection?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not exactly, but they knew Jesus was the Son of God, and they were learning what that meant.

Gabriel spoke to Mary in Luke 1:

35b “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy—the Son of God
After John baptized Jesus in Matthew 3:

17 a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
The disciples began to learn that Jesus was the special, unique Son of God. What does that mean?

John 3:

17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through Him. 18 Whoever believes in Him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.
They learned that the Son of God would save the world.

Before Jesus resurrected Lazarus in John 11:

4 But when Jesus heard it he said, “This illness does not lead to death. It is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it.
The Son of God shared the glory of God.

Jesus spoke to the antagonistic Jews in (NIV) John 10:

32 Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?”
33“We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”
These Jews thought Jesus claimed to be God. Jesus did not deny that.

34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods” ’ ? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’? 37Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father. 38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.”
The Son of God was God. It was a divine mystery.

Jesus walked on water in Matt 14:

32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 33 And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”
The disciples began to see that the Son of God was God. They did not say, "Truly you are God".

It was a divine mystery. Because of that, they were somewhat ambiguous about it. After the resurrection, however, they asserted that Jesus was God. It was a divine mystery, but they were no longer ambiguous about it.

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not exactly, but they knew Jesus was the Son of God, and they were learning what that meant.

The disciples began to learn that Jesus was the special, unique Son of God. What does that mean?

John 3:

The disciples began to see that the Son of God was God. They did not say, "Truly you are God".

It was a divine mystery. Because of that, they were somewhat ambiguous about it. After the resurrection, however, they asserted that Jesus was God. It was a divine mystery, but they were no longer ambiguous about it.
What isn’t God?

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Please read their prayer at Acts 4:24-30…
Thanks for the reference. This is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
  1. Display and indent the quoted text.
  2. Selectively bold the relevant keywords that are important to the point that you are making. No need to bold the entire sentence. Have a laser-sharp focus.
  3. Be concise and precise to the point. No need to quote the whole chapter.
This is what I do for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee you it will improve your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Err, yes he did deny it! Did you not read the following verses that you quoted? From the NIV which you quoted, John 10:36:

Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’?​

or ISV:

(36) how can you say to the one whom the Father has consecrated and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'?​

Jesus clearly stated that he claimed to be the Son of God, not that he claimed to be God!

No, they never believed that Jesus was Almighty God.

Linking to a discussion on another website is not helpful. If you believe the disciples asserted that Jesus was God then please post your evidence in this thread/website.

I briefly looked at your link. You first referred to Jesus healing a blind man:

Jesus healed a man (B1) born blind in John 9:​

35 Jesus heard that they [the Pharisees] had cast him [B1] out, and having found him he said, “Do you believe in the Son of Man?” 36He answered, “And who is he, sir, that I may believe in him?” 37Jesus said to him, “You have seen him, and it is he who is speaking to you.” 38He said, “Lord, I believe,” and he worshiped him.​
B1 thought Jesus was God.​

That is plainly incorrect! It clearly states that the blind man believed that Jesus was the Son of Man, not that he was God! Just because he worshipped Jesus, that does not mean that he believed that Jesus was God. The word translated as worship means to kneel or prostrate oneself in reverence, as was commonly done before men of rank and honour. The Pharisees standing by and listening did not say anything about the blind man thinking that Jesus was God - they would have said something if that was the case!

Then you wrote:

Paul thought Jesus was God, Romans 9:​

5 Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them proceeds the human descent of Christ, who is God over all, forever worthy of praise! Amen.​

You didn't specify which translation that is, but it is a misleading translation (Trinity bias translation). Other translations say, for example:

Romans 9:5 (KJV):
(5) Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.​
Romans 9:5 (WEB):
(5) of whom are the fathers, and from whom is Christ as concerning the flesh, who is over all, God, blessed forever. Amen.​
Romans 9:5 (ASV):
(5) whose are the fathers, and of whom is Christ as concerning the flesh, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.​
Romans 9:5 (Darby):
(5) whose are the fathers; and of whom, as according to flesh, is the Christ, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.​
Romans 9:5 (Webster):
(5) Whose are the fathers, and from whom according to the flesh, Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.​
Romans 9:5 (YLT):
(5) whose are the fathers, and of whom is the Christ, according to the flesh, who is over all, God blessed to the ages. Amen.​
Romans 9:5 (GNB):
(5) they are descended from the famous Hebrew ancestors; and Christ, as a human being, belongs to their race. May God, who rules over all, be praised forever! Amen.​

Scripture should be used to help translate ambiguous verses of Scripture. Don't forget that Paul also wrote:

1 Corinthians 8:6 (WEB):
(6) yet to us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and we live through him.​

and he often wrote (e.g. 1 Corinthians 1:3, WEB):

(3) Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.​

and also wrote, Colossians 1:3 (WEB):

(3) We give thanks to God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,​

So Paul most definitely did not believe that Jesus was Almighty God.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHC

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia

John 3:

The remnant of Jews saved by grace, basically perceived, Jesus is the Messiah and Son of the living GOD, and followed Him.

They falsely misunderstood His mission, for they believed He came to liberate the Israelites from their carnal enemies.

Peter was the first person to draw his sword on these enemies, when they tried to arrest their Messiah.

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the disciples knew He was God after this encounter with Thomas:

John 20:26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Reactions: TonyChanYT