Differences Between the Old and New Covenant

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[SIZE=12pt]The Old Covenant was:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Instituted at Sanai [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Ex. 19:5 - “Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Ratified by Sacrifice[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] - Ex. 24:6-8 - “Moses took half of the blood and put it in bowls, and the other half he sprinkled on the altar. 7 Then he took the Book of the Covenant and read it to the people. They responded, “We will do everything the LORD has said; we will obey.” 8 Moses then took the blood, sprinkled it on the people and said, “This is the blood of the covenant that the LORD has made with you in accordance with all these words.” [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Sealed by Circumcision [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Gen.17:13-14 - “Whether born in your household or bought with your money, they must be circumcised. My covenant in your flesh is to be an everlasting covenant. 14 Any uncircumcised male, who has not been circumcised in the flesh, will be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Consists of Outward Rites [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Heb. 9:1-13 - Now the first covenant had regulations for worship…external regulations applying until the time of the new order…He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, having obtained eternal redemption.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Designed to lead to Christ [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Gal.3:21-25 - “Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law. 22 But the Scripture declares that the whole world is a prisoner of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe. 23 Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24 So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The New Covenant was:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Promised in Eden [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Gen. 3:15 - “And I will put enmity between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel
.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Proclaimed to Abraham [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Gen. 12:3 - “I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Fulfilled in Christ [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Luke 1:68-79 - Read it as it’s too long to add here.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Instituted at Christ’s Death and Ratified by His Blood [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Heb. 9:12-26 and Eph. 2:13-22 - same as above[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Remembered in the Lord’s Supper [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- 1 Co. 11:25[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Authored by God [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Eph. 2:4 - “But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. 6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Caused by God’s Love [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- John 3:16 - “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Mediator = Christ [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- 1 Tim. 2:5 - “For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Is the Plan of Salvation [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- 1 Pet. 1:10-11 - “Concerning this salvation, the prophets, who spoke of the grace that was to come to you, searched intently and with the greatest care, 11 trying to find out the time and circumstances to which the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing when he predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Messiah was born Under the Law [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Gal. 4:4-5 - “But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, 5 to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Redeem means to be set free from.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Luke 24:44-45 - And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures (Luke 24:44-45).” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Think not that I am come to destroy the Law and the Prophets (the Old Covenant): I am not come to DESTROY, but to FULFILL (NOT TO INSTITUTE). For verily I say unto you, Till earth and heaven pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the Law, till all be FULFILLED (Matt. 5:17-18; see Lk. 24:37-44-46)."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]This simply means that Jesus the Messiah had to FULFILL the Old Covenant before the New Covenant could come of effect. For example, when the Messiah was born in the city of Bethlehem, this fulfilled the prophecy of Malachi (Mal. 5:2) Does Messiah have to “keep“ being born of virgins to fulfill these prophecies? Being born of a virgin fulfilled Isaiah’s prophesy (Isa. 7:14; 9:6). Judas' betrayal of the Messiah for 30 pieces of silver fulfilled the prophecy of Zechariah (Zec. 11:12-13) Does Judas have to “keep“ betraying Christ to fulfill the prophecy? These are just a few of the 40% of Old Testament prophecies concerning the Messiah.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]In other words, Jesus had to fulfill every jot and tittle of the Old Covenant, remove it (Heb. 10:9), die on the cross (Col. 2:14), sacrifice His blood, resurrect from the dead, and ascend to the Father, BEFORE the New Covenant could become effective. Once something has been “fulfilled”, it is finished, done, completed, over with, not to be visited again. Christ fulfilled ALL aspects of the law, even Sabbath-keeping![/SIZE]

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Jesus said in Matthew 5, "do not think I have come to destroy the law or the prophets, but to fulfill (filled to the fullest and give new meaning) Heaven and earth will pass away but not one thing will be changed in the law until ALL is fulfilled"...well Heaven and earth are still here and not everything is fulfilled obviously.

So Trekkson you misrepresent and misunderstand the word of God...nothing in God's law, the ten commandments has been abolished or done away with...except the sacrificial which is part of the Mosaic law, the 613 sacrificial, food, cleanliness, feast, festival laws system,which instead of lambs being sacrificed, Jesus was the last "lamb"..the lamb of God, the supreme sacrifice...

I believe it is wise for any rationale, prudent, and salvation seeking person to follow God's Commandments..He forgives us our sins by His grace, but after that point we should desire to follow His will and commandmnts...remember "sin is transgression of God's law" according to th Apostle John in 1st John.."those who say they know Him and keep not His commandments are liars and the truth is not in them"

God created the seventh day of creation week as a special day, in which He rested, blessed the day and sanctified it (set aside for Holy purposes)...It was a gift to the human race He had created...Genesis 2

But the so called "christianity" has been deceived by satan, just like Eve in the garden, into thinking they can disobey God's commandments and turn their backs on a gift from God, which harkens back to Creation...The seventh day is as much an integral part of Creation as we are, and everything else God created, so to turn your back on this day is to destroy your belief in God and His Creation. So then who are you really following?

Remember always, salvation is through the Son of God, His days and Commandments, and NOT the sun god/satan and his days of sunday,dec 25th and easter, all of which are pagan based and non Biblical.

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Here, I think the Luke passage says it best.

[SIZE=12pt]Luke 24:44-45 - And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures (Luke 24:44-45).” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]All things concerning Christ were fulfilled. It's over. Finished at the cross. Done. History.[/SIZE]
If you want the truth then read Romans and Hebrews. Reject them and you're rejecting the truth and believing the lies your leaders are feeding you!

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Trekson said:
Hi Here, I think the Luke passage says it best.

[SIZE=12pt]All things concerning Christ were fulfilled. It's over. Finished at the cross. Done[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]You misrepresent the word of God again Trekson...you quote in Luke and the rest of scriptures refers to the "law of Moses", or Mosaic law...you should know that this is referring to the 613 laws of Moses which included the sacrificial, feast, festival, cleanliness, laws...Jesus was the supreme sacrifice and no more lambs needed to be sacrificed, as He is the lamb of God, the last sacrifice! You are brainwashed by all the false teachings out there regarding this subject, and making something simple into a complex issue..it is not complex..just follow God's Commandments, and His example at Creation (Genesis 2)..Jesus said in John 14.15 "if you love me keep my commandments" and in Matthew 19.17 "to enter into life keep the Commandments" He goes on to identify the Ten commandments..God's law..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Anyone who cannot grasp this simple terminology is under the satanic influence of Rome/Babylon and is NOT being led by God's Holy Spirit...then get used to hearing the words.."depart from me I never knew you, you who practice lawlessness" Matthew 7......it's getting late and it is time for "christians" to get off the wide path to destruction, and get on the narrow road to salvation...(which few shall find)...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Remember always salvation is through the Son of God, His days and Commandments and NOT the sun god/satan and his days of sunday, dec 25th and easter, all of which are pagan based and are NOT Biblical.[/SIZE]

haz

Feb 17, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
heretoeternity said:
we should desire to follow His will and commandmnts...remember "sin is transgression of God's law" according to th Apostle John in 1st John.."those who say they know Him and keep not His commandments are liars and the truth is not in them.
Hi hertoeternity,

I differ on the doctrine you offer.

You refer to God's will.
What's His will?
John 6:40
And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and BELIEVES IN HIM may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.”

And yes, sin is transgression of the law, 1John 3:4.
But Whatever the law says, IT SAYS TO THOSE UNDER IT, Rom 3:19.
Note that Christians are NOT under the law, Rom 8:2, Rom 10:4, Gal 3:25, Gal 5:18, hence we cannot be charged with transgression of the law.

Rom 8:33
Who shall lay ANY THING (this includes sin/transgression of the law) to the charge of God's elect?

You quote 1John 2 that those who do not keep his commandments are liars.
Firstly, what are Christ's commandments?
1John 3:23
we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. And this is His commandment: that we should BELIEVE ON THE NAME OF HIS SON JESUS CHRIST and LOVE ONE ANOTHER, as He gave us commandment

and who is the liar that 1John 2 refers to?
It's not, as you propose, those who fail to obey the law. Instead we see in 1John 2:22 that the liar is he who denies that Jesus is the Christ. In other words it's they who disobey Christ's commandment that we believe on him.

So who in fact are those who disobey Christ's commandments?
It's the legalists. Those pushing obedience to the law as proof of "imparted" righteousness.

We simply cannot mix works of the law, with grace, Rom 11:6. To do so is to be lukewarm, Rev 3:15.
In pushing the law the legalists are refusing to submit to God's righteousness, Rom 10:3.
Such reject Christ's sacrifice, and instead seek righteousness by works of the law.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Haz you are confused which law you are talking about....christians are not under the law of Moses..the 613 sacrificial, feast, cleanliness, festival, circumcision etc laws...but if you want to be a Christian you are certainly under God's law, the Ten Commandments...Romans 3 "do we make void the law through faith? God forbid, we establish the law..
Word of advice for you Haz do not confuse "doctrines" for the actual Bible...the Bible is the Holy word of God, and whatever God says, is official...you can follow all the "doctrines" you want, but as Jesus said when he chastised the people "you follow the traditions of man, and not the Commandments of God...then I will say to you depart from me I never knew you, you who practice lawlessness" Mark 7, Matthew 15, Matthew 7

Remember always, Salvation is through the Son of God, His days, and Commandments, and NOT the sun god/satan and his days of sunday, dec 25th and easter, all of which are pagan based and are NOT Biblical.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Hereto,

your quote:

Jesus said in Matthew 5, "do not think I have come to destroy the law or the prophets, but to fulfill (filled to the fullest and give new meaning) Heaven and earth will pass away but not one thing will be changed in the law until ALL is fulfilled"...well Heaven and earth are still here and not everything is fulfilled obviously.
Everything was fulfilled in Christ on the cross...that is everything pertaining to the law of sin and death which is the Mosaic law given to Moses on Mt Sinai. You are making a distinction between the ceremonial, and moral portions of the Law.

https://bible.org/article/mosaic-law-its-function-and-purpose-new-testament

haz

Feb 17, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
heretoeternity said:
Haz you are confused which law you are talking about....christians are not under the law of Moses..the 613 sacrificial, feast, cleanliness, festival, circumcision etc laws...but if you want to be a Christian you are certainly under God's law, the Ten Commandments...Romans 3 "do we make void the law through faith? God forbid, we establish the law..
Word of advice for you Haz do not confuse "doctrines" for the actual Bible...the Bible is the Holy word of God, and whatever God says, is official...you can follow all the "doctrines" you want, but as Jesus said when he chastised the people "you follow the traditions of man, and not the Commandments of God...then I will say to you depart from me I never knew you, you who practice lawlessness" Mark 7, Matthew 15, Matthew 7
Angelina is correct that everything was fulfilled at the cross.
The law (including 10 commandments) was done away.

2Cor 3:7-11
But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
heretoeternity said:

So Trekkson you misrepresent and misunderstand the word of God...nothing in God's law, the ten commandments has been abolished or done away with...except the sacrificial which is part of the Mosaic law, the 613 sacrificial, food, cleanliness, feast, festival laws system,which instead of lambs being sacrificed, Jesus was the last "lamb"..the lamb of God, the supreme sacrifice...
Heretoeternity, trekkson did not misrepresent the word of God. The desciples knew that Jesus was speaking of the temple when he said heaven and earth would pass away. Just to prove this point we only need to read an article by a Jewish educator:

Rachel Adelman, Ph.D.
Jewish Educator

http://www.racheladelman.com/

One can read her article on Jacob's Vision and see that Jacob had his dream at the very place that Abraham was going to sacrifice his son, and the same mount that Solomon built the temple. It was the place where God and man would meet. She refers to this place as "being the obvious channel of communication between heaven and earth" and even more detail in the article.

The temple was destroyed in 70 AD so, Heaven and Earth has passed away.

HearGod

Sep 23, 2014
Some say: The old is in the new concealed, and the new is in the old revealed.
Others say: The old is revealed by the new.
My Bible says something like: If the old is good, why the need for the new?
My Bible also says something like: The old is [only] a shadow (a bad past) of the new (good things to come).
Me say: I am not really tired yet, but yet
Me say: Hasta la vista, baby!

Reactions: Angelina
Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We see how people broke the old covenant but repented and came back to God, this shows grace and shows that their faith in the Word saved them as it still does today.

HearGod

Sep 23, 2014
Trekson said:
[SIZE=12pt]The Old Covenant was:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Instituted at Sanai [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Ex. 19:5 - “Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Ratified by Sacrifice[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] - Ex. 24:6-8 - “Moses took half of the blood and put it in bowls, and the other half he sprinkled on the altar. 7 Then he took the Book of the Covenant and read it to the people. They responded, “We will do everything the LORD has said; we will obey.” 8 Moses then took the blood, sprinkled it on the people and said, “This is the blood of the covenant that the LORD has made with you in accordance with all these words.” [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Sealed by Circumcision [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Gen.17:13-14 - “Whether born in your household or bought with your money, they must be circumcised. My covenant in your flesh is to be an everlasting covenant.[/SIZE] 14 Any uncircumcised male, who has not been circumcised in the flesh, will be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.”
[SIZE=12pt]Consists of Outward Rites [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Heb. 9:1-13 - Now the first covenant had regulations for worship…external regulations applying until the time of the new order…He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, having obtained eternal redemption.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Designed to lead to Christ [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Gal.3:21-25 - “Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law. 22 But the Scripture declares that the whole world is a prisoner of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe. 23 Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24 So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The New Covenant was:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Promised in Eden [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Gen. 3:15 - “And I will put enmity between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel
.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Proclaimed to Abraham [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Gen. 12:3 - “I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Fulfilled in Christ [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Luke 1:68-79 - Read it as it’s too long to add here.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Instituted at Christ’s Death and Ratified by His Blood [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Heb. 9:12-26 and Eph. 2:13-22 - same as above[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Remembered in the Lord’s Supper [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- 1 Co. 11:25[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Authored by God [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Eph. 2:4 - “But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. 6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Caused by God’s Love [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- John 3:16 - “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Mediator = Christ [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- 1 Tim. 2:5 - “For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Is the Plan of Salvation [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- 1 Pet. 1:10-11 - “Concerning this salvation, the prophets, who spoke of the grace that was to come to you, searched intently and with the greatest care, 11 trying to find out the time and circumstances to which the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing when he predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Messiah was born Under the Law [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Gal. 4:4-5 - “But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, 5 to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Redeem means to be set free from.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Think not that I am come to destroy the Law and the Prophets (the Old Covenant): I am not come to DESTROY, but to FULFILL (NOT TO INSTITUTE). For verily I say unto you, Till earth and heaven pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the Law, till all be FULFILLED (Matt. 5:17-18; see Lk. 24:37-44-46)."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]This simply means that Jesus the Messiah had to FULFILL the Old Covenant before the New Covenant could come of effect. For example, when the Messiah was born in the city of Bethlehem, this fulfilled the prophecy of Malachi (Mal. 5:2) Does Messiah have to “keep“ being born of virgins to fulfill these prophecies? Being born of a virgin fulfilled Isaiah’s prophesy (Isa. 7:14; 9:6). Judas' betrayal of the Messiah for 30 pieces of silver fulfilled the prophecy of Zechariah (Zec. 11:12-13) Does Judas have to “keep“ betraying Christ to fulfill the prophecy? These are just a few of the 40% of Old Testament prophecies concerning the Messiah.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]In other words, Jesus had to fulfill every jot and tittle of the Old Covenant, remove it (Heb. 10:9), die on the cross (Col. 2:14), sacrifice His blood, resurrect from the dead, and ascend to the Father, BEFORE the New Covenant could become effective. Once something has been “fulfilled”, it is finished, done, completed, over with, not to be visited again. Christ fulfilled ALL aspects of the law, even Sabbath-keeping![/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Sealed by Circumcision [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Gen.17:13-14 - “Whether born in your household or bought with your money, they must be circumcised. My covenant in your flesh is to be an everlasting covenant.[/SIZE] 14 Any uncircumcised male, who has not been circumcised in the flesh, will be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.”

New Covenant... New Covenant... New Covenant...

This OP doesn't make good sense to me. If the Old Covenant was an everlasting covenant, there can never be any New Covenant.

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Hear, Your words: "[SIZE=12pt]Sealed by Circumcision [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]- Gen.17:13-14 - “Whether born in your household or bought with your money, they must be circumcised. My covenant in your flesh is to be an everlasting covenant.[/SIZE] 14 Any uncircumcised male, who has not been circumcised in the flesh, will be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.”

New Covenant... New Covenant... New Covenant...

This OP doesn't make good sense to me. If the Old Covenant was an everlasting covenant, there can never be any New Covenant.

I guess it depends on what context you consider when one reads this verse. When I read it, I don't read "the old covenant is an "everlasting" covenant. I read it as; it is an everlasting covenant between the circumcised male and God. A covenant is like a contract. It only holds true if both parties obey the rules. We know God always keeps His end of the bargain, but if that same circumcised individual starts to follow after other Gods or becomes a criminal with a continuous sin cycle, then that individual has broken the covenant and it is no longer valid. The specific covenant being spoken of is circumcision and the "everlasting" part is for the "life" of the individual.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
[SIZE=16pt]I have not followed all the post on this thread, but thought what scripture says about the Old Covenant answers the thread’s question.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt](Hebrews 8:13) “By speaking of a new covenant, he implies that the first one is already old. Now anything old only gets more antiquated until in the end it disappears.”[/SIZE]

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Quite simply, the Old covenant provided for the blood of animals to be offered to cover sin debt, as a means of discipline for the people. The New covenant was based on Jesus supreme sacrifice, and His blood paid the sin debt of humankind, and provided for salvation for those repent from sinning and follow His word. Jesus sacrifice was a one time deal, instead of like the old covenant where ongoing sacrifices of animals was required...Paul covers it very well in Hebrews.