Differences in killing/murder

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Red_Letters88

Jan 5, 2008
Hello again,I was just wondering, after spending some time in the OT, has the Lord through Jesus made killing in His namesake invalid in these days?Jesus tells us to love our enemys and even pray for them. But where, according to scripture, does Jesus ever encourage the OT type of killings for the Lord in his day or after?I also wonder, if someone was treating one of your family members- to the point of you NEED to do something, is this ok to take their life?Ive always seen the need to understand the difference between murders from killings- I would just hate to kill a man who may one day be a Saul-Paul.Where are gentiles taught to kill for the Lord? Or for their Country?

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
Killing is only permitted as self defense of yourself or another person. Even that is the last resort.There is a reference in the Bible where Jesus tells the twelve apostles to sell their robes and buy swords.God blessed us during the second world war because we came to help our allies survive and fend off the evil Nazi dictator, Adolf Hitler. But when we invaded Vietnam, God wasn't blessing us. Same can be said for the Iraqi war we have today.

kalixx

Nov 19, 2007
The bible NT tells us in several places to obey our authorities (e.g. Rom 13:1 , Tit 3:1 ). If a person is a member of the army then they have to obey their commanders (with perhaps some exceptions to this general rule).And the bible NT does not condemn being a soldier, otherwise John the Baptist would surely have said so in: Luke 3:14So I guess the system works the same way except that taking life now takes place through the intermediatory structure of social authority - although many countries no longer exercise capital punishment in practice (however it still remains an option).