Discussion vs. Debate

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Strat said,

Again you display your complete ignorance of the bible and christianity,the law existed before people ever did and it was the breaking of that law that brought sin and death into the world and it was the restoration of that law in a God's son who obeyed that law flawlessly that brought redemption of our fallen condition....we because of our sin nature cannot obey the law perfectly but because it was obeyed perfectly by Jesus we can be saved...it is the height of wickedness to hold that law in contempt.

Well, I am glad that we have established how ignorant I am. All of creation is governed by laws, as soon as we stopped behaving like we were created to behave we stepped outside the law. The law is not burdensome for those who remain inside of it - in fact it is the ultimate freedom. My dogs are free because they act within their created definition - therefore, they do not even know they are following any laws at all. After Adam and Eve were kicked out of the Garden, they had to survive outside the law - it must have been a terrible shock to them. Later God reintroduced the law to let his creation know how far away they had strayed from their definition - we were created to love and now we were murdering and warring and living for the survival of the self. Remember, the sum of the law is love. We were sheep that had wandered off from the flock and God sent Jesus to find us and bring us back.

How foolish it is to on one hand claim to want to be more like Jesus who kept the law perfectly and on the other hand show such contempt for that law..."Legalism" says the law saves and i have never advocated that so you are bearing false witness.

Not at all. I want to be like Jesus by loving perfectly (perfect focus on the Father, and therefore, following the law effortlessly) and give up sinning (self focus). We only know the law because we can feel the consequences of not following it. When we are in Heaven and able to finally love perfectly once more, we will no longer notice the law. Legalism is forcing people to go through the motions of following the law without realizing that the only reason for the law is to show is that we are not loving perfectly. Feeling the consequences for not following the law is like seeing the idiot light come on in your car when it runs out of oil.

The work of Jesus and faith is what saves...what you are is lawless,you have contempt for the law of God which is why truth and deoctrine mean nothing to you and you try to excuse your heresy and lies with a sappy spineless "love" that has nothing to do with the love of God and everything to do with the wide easy path to Hell....you also make idiotic comparisons like comparing arcane cultural norms and sin...cultural norms are man's laws carrying little if any signifigance while sin is the breaking of the only laws that matter....fact is you hate anything that calls your reprobate heart to account....please dust off your bible if you own one and read some of it before posting such ignorance.

So why is it that you are the one that sounds hate-filled and bitter?

aspen2 - I am going to agree with you .... you have it exactly right ....

I am a mature Christian ...... one who likes discussion ..... and at times I learn from it ..... sometimes I have to eat a bit of pride ... and modify my thinking (beleifs) ... and learn from it.

I feel that should be the purpose of all bible study and bible discussions.

However Christianity has more than it's fair share of folks who are not scholars ..... but defend pet doctrines as though they are beyond question. Their minds are slammed shut either out of insecurity , or brainwash , weak faith, or denominational influences.

It seems to be an exercise in futility to have them consider anything outside what they firmly beleive.

I was the very same as a young Christian many years ago ..... I would read my bible and mistakenly apply teachings and powers and gifts and ministries designated for The 12 Apostles ..... then assume it was meant for me as well.

I am not one of the 12 .... rather I am one who is the recipient of the teachings of the 12 .... I am a beleiver .... that is my function.

These mistakes and errors will not keep us out of Heaven ..... but they sure cause division and friction within the Christian community. I wish it were not so.

Thanks
Arnie

Ha - great post! I was just like that too - and sometimes I can fall back into the same old pattern.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Ha - great post! I was just like that too - and sometimes I can fall back into the same old pattern.

Me too .... often when I am sure of my position ..... someone will show me differently ..... I retreat to the bible to re-read the pertinent scriptures and then decide if I have missed something or not.

I find it more productive than attacking the one who has a different viewpoint than I.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Strat said,

Again you display your complete ignorance of the bible and christianity,the law existed before people ever did and it was the breaking of that law that brought sin and death into the world and it was the restoration of that law in a God's son who obeyed that law flawlessly that brought redemption of our fallen condition....we because of our sin nature cannot obey the law perfectly but because it was obeyed perfectly by Jesus we can be saved...it is the height of wickedness to hold that law in contempt.

Well, I am glad that we have established how ignorant I am. All of creation is governed by laws, as soon as we stopped behaving like we were created to behave we stepped outside the law. The law is not burdensome for those who remain inside of it - in fact it is the ultimate freedom. My dogs are free because they act within their created definition - therefore, they do not even know they are following any laws at all. After Adam and Eve were kicked out of the Garden, they had to survive outside the law - it must have been a terrible shock to them. Later God reintroduced the law to let his creation know how far away they had strayed from their definition - we were created to love and now we were murdering and warring and living for the survival of the self. Remember, the sum of the law is love. We were sheep that had wandered off from the flock and God sent Jesus to find us and bring us back.

How foolish it is to on one hand claim to want to be more like Jesus who kept the law perfectly and on the other hand show such contempt for that law..."Legalism" says the law saves and i have never advocated that so you are bearing false witness.

Not at all. I want to be like Jesus by loving perfectly (perfect focus on the Father, and therefore, following the law effortlessly) and give up sinning (self focus). We only know the law because we can feel the consequences of not following it. When we are in Heaven and able to finally love perfectly once more, we will no longer notice the law. Legalism is forcing people to go through the motions of following the law without realizing that the only reason for the law is to show is that we are not loving perfectly. Feeling the consequences for not following the law is like seeing the idiot light come on in your car when it runs out of oil.

The work of Jesus and faith is what saves...what you are is lawless,you have contempt for the law of God which is why truth and deoctrine mean nothing to you and you try to excuse your heresy and lies with a sappy spineless "love" that has nothing to do with the love of God and everything to do with the wide easy path to Hell....you also make idiotic comparisons like comparing arcane cultural norms and sin...cultural norms are man's laws carrying little if any signifigance while sin is the breaking of the only laws that matter....fact is you hate anything that calls your reprobate heart to account....please dust off your bible if you own one and read some of it before posting such ignorance.

So why is it that you are the one that sounds hate-filled and bitter?

Grow up Aspen,and quit thinking that the only way somebody can disagree with you is if they are hate filled and bitter,you spout lies,excuses and nonsense plain and simple and you have contempt for the law of God yet claim to be a christian....you have even gone so far as to say that sin has no negative effect on society and that you wouldn't vote against abortion....the murder of innocent children.....now there's the heart of Jesus and the perfect love you are always patheticlly whinning about.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grow up Aspen,and quit thinking that the only way somebody can disagree with you is if they are hate filled and bitter,you spout lies,excuses and nonsense plain and simple and you have contempt for the law of God yet claim to be a christian....you have even gone so far as to say that sin has no negative effect on society and that you wouldn't vote against abortion....the murder of innocent children.....now there's the heart of Jesus and the perfect love you are always patheticlly whinning about.

Umm...people disagree with me all the time - and they mostly do so with love and kindness. I think you may only know how to disagree using name-calling, labeling, and sarcasm - but you are in the minority. It really is shocking to me to see how much you hate what I have to say - yet, it is the Christian message!

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
aspen2,

You may agree that to learn about Jesus's sayings a person may need some knowledge and wisdom of an early church father, an example may be John Chrysostom of about 4th century A.D. You may read from a link below an explanation of Sermon on the Mount of Matthew 5. 1,2. until the end of Matthew 7. 28.

Part of.

Homily XV.

Matt. V. 1, 2.

“And Jesus seeing the multitudes went up into the mountain, and when He was set, His disciples came unto Him. And He opened His mouth, and taught them saying, Blessed,” etc.
See how unambitious He was, and void of boasting: in that He did not lead people about with Him, but whereas, when healing was required, He had Himself gone about everywhere, visiting both towns and country places; now when the multitude is become very great, He sits in one spot: and that not in the midst of any city or forum, but on a mountain and in a wilderness; instructing us to do nothing for display, and to separate ourselves from the tumults of ordinary life, and this most especially, when we are to study wisdom, and to discourse of things needful to be done.

http://www.ccel.org/...110.iii.XV.html

With all respect Thomas Kelly guessed ... I would much rather hear two sentences from you than ten pages from John Chrysostom (who is not here)

John Chrysostom points out very well the meekness of Christ .... and how we should be also ...... but Christ also has (had) a nasty side to some of his responses as well ....

(In my opinion) we must study both sides to have a balanced understanding of Christ .... but that still has nothing to do with who we are ..... and what we are supposed to be like .... we are not Christ .... we are the recipient of what he has in store for those who beleive.

How then should we live ..... how then should we discuss this privelege we have .... ??

Our meekness should come from our profound realization that we do not deserve any of this .... yet Christ accepts us .... faults and all .... too bad we cannot accept each other the same way.

Many denominations would try to keep me from heaven .... many Christian debators would try to keep me from Heaven ... but I count on my beleif in Christ to get me there. Hope it works. thanks.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Umm...people disagree with me all the time - and they mostly do so with love and kindness. I think you may only know how to disagree using name-calling, labeling, and sarcasm - but you are in the minority. It really is shocking to me to see how much you hate what I have to say - yet, it is the Christian message!

You spout lies and half truths...what names have i called you other than liberal which is not a name but a political ideology...do you deny that you are a liberal ? sarcasm is at times the most polite way to confront lies and distortions,it is only those who are thin skinned and self absorbed that protest it the most as if no matter what they say everyone is supposed to bow reverently before it as if it were the truth and not a lie.

Apr 24, 2012
Arnie Manitoba,
With all respect Thomas Kelly guessed ... I would much rather hear two sentences from you than ten pages from John Chrysostom (who is not here)

John Chrystom's words are useful.

John Chrysostom points out very well the meekness of Christ .... and how we should be also ...... but Christ also has (had) a nasty side to some of his responses as well ....

That's not enough for me to have enough knowledge of what you wanted to show me.

(In my opinion) we must study both sides to have a balanced understanding of Christ ....

I don't know what you meant by "both sides".

but that still has nothing to do with who we are ..... and what we are supposed to be like .... we are not Christ .... we are the recipient of what he has in store for those who beleive.

I reasoned to add scripture which you may look at below.

[sup]48 [/sup]He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” [sup]49 [/sup]Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. [sup]50 [/sup]For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

Matthew 12

New International Version (NIV)

http://www.biblegate... 12&version=NIV

How then should we live ..... how then should we discuss this privelege we have .... ??

If a person can use reason of the scripture in how words are used that helps in our lives. You may look below at part of The New Testament which may reveal some wisdom and knowledge of judging the use of words.

If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God.

Part of 1 Peter 4:11

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?

Our meekness should come from our profound realization that we do not deserve any of this .... yet Christ accepts us .... faults and all .... too bad we cannot accept each other the same way.

Some scripture below to help. Its in bold because that's how it pasted into the post.

Do not think of yourselves as wise.

Part of Romans 12:16

Good News Translation (GNT)

http://www.biblegate... 12&version=GNT

Many denominations would try to keep me from heaven .... many Christian debators would try to keep me from Heaven ... but I count on my beleif in Christ to get me there. Hope it works. thanks.

Maybe what you may read below will help you.

A comparison of 2 translations and some knowledge and wisdom.

Philippians 2:4

Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

King James Version (KJV)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Philippians+2&version=KJV

You may have seen the word "also" in that, so not only your own things.

The other

Philippians 2:4

not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Philippians+2&version=NIV

You may have seen the word "but" which sometimes may show that the desire is to show that each sentence before and after the word "but" is different in purpose but in the part of the bible you may have read before this, Philippians 2:4, the purpose of each command is one and the same, to benefit everyone including yourself.

If you reason of this when being near enemies you may learn when to be silent or speak to benefit them in not giving them what they may believe benefits them or what they desire by their words or actions.

Apr 24, 2012
Arnie Manitoba,

Both sides of Christ ..... in that he was meek at times .... and the very opposite of meek many times.

I'm not persuaded that's correct after reading a command of The New Testament, which you may look at below.

2 Be always humble, gentle, and patient. Show your love by being tolerant with one another.3 Do your best to preserve the unity which the Spirit gives by means of the peace that binds you together.4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as there is one hope to which God has called you.

Ephesians 4

I might see more scripture like that.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
2 Be always humble, gentle, and patient. Show your love by being tolerant with one another.3 Do your best to preserve the unity which the Spirit gives by means of the peace that binds you together.4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as there is one hope to which God has called you.

Ephesians 4

I might see more scripture like that.
.... agreed ..... but the Ephesian verse above is talking about Christians (and how we should treat each other etc)

My original point was that being meek to the world was not Jesus' approach ..... he was actually very harsh (toward the unbeleivers).

My point is that "being meek" should not be a blanket statement applied to Jesus and Christian .... (as implied by John Chrysostom in your article)

Apr 24, 2012
Arnie Manitoba,

.... agreed ..... but the Ephesian verse above is talking about Christians (and how we should treat each other etc)

My original point was that being meek to the world was not Jesus' approach ..... he was actually very harsh (toward the unbeleivers).

My point is that "being meek" should not be a blanket statement applied to Jesus and Christian .... (as implied by John Chrysostom in your article)

Part of Ephesians 4

2 Be always humble, gentle, and patient.

Do you reason the apostle commanded always to act like that and Jesus wasn't ?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus always saved His anger for the believers - the Pharisees.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Arnie Manitoba,

Part of Ephesians 4

2 Be always humble, gentle, and patient.

Do you reason the apostle commanded always to act like that and Jesus wasn't ?

Ephesians is about how Chritsians are to treat each other, Ephesians 4/1......"That we henceforth be no more children tossed to and fro and carried about with every WIND OF DOCTRINE,by the sleigh of men and cunning craftiness whereby they lie in wait to deceive"....the King James version

It is not hard for the cunning and crafty to quote scripture out of context to excuse the cowardice of the modern lukewarm,carnal and liberal christian in regard to defending the faith and doctrine of the Bible....the Bible says let any man who preached another gospel be damned....how's that for lollipops and sunshine.

Apr 24, 2012
Strat,

Ephesians is about how Chritsians are to treat each other, Ephesians 4/1......"That we henceforth be no more children tossed to and fro and carried about with every WIND OF DOCTRINE,by the sleigh of men and cunning craftiness whereby they lie in wait to deceive"....the King James version

I'm not persuaded the commands of Ephesians 4 are only to be used with Christians. You may look at scripture below to see why.

1 Corinthians 4

12 We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; 13 when we are slandered, we answer kindly.

What do judge of the documents of the man known as St John Chrysostom and the ones known as the Church Fathers ?

It is not hard for the cunning and crafty to quote scripture out of context to excuse the cowardice of the modern lukewarm,carnal and liberal christian in regard to defending the faith and doctrine of the Bible....the Bible says let any man who preached another gospel be damned....how's that for lollipops and sunshine.

It appeared you don't know the difference between speaking of unpleasant events and how it should be done. You may see the signs of the spirit below.

Galatians 5

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
Too often, debating turns into arguing and name calling--as well as questioning another person's Christianity because they disagreed with someone. Forums like this one are supposedly for the purpose of discussing the word of God and its meaning. Too many have the disallusioned belief that they are always right and never make a mistake. Such people are impossible to have a meaningfull discussion of scripture with without arguing and name calling.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Strat,

I'm not persuaded the commands of Ephesians 4 are only to be used with Christians. You may look at scripture below to see why.

1 Corinthians 4

12 We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; 13 when we are slandered, we answer kindly.

What do judge of the documents of the man known as St John Chrysostom and the ones known as the Church Fathers ?

It appeared you don't know the difference between speaking of unpleasant events and how it should be done. You may see the signs of the spirit below.

Galatians 5

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

It also appears that you don't know that in today's world all of those things are subjective to both beleivers and unbeleivers alike....the truth no matter how it is delivered is hated and scorned and one will be accused of being unkind,inloving ect etc....also in todays world of supposedly no absolutes staing something as being absolute is considered offensive....the bible contains absolutes.

Too often, debating turns into arguing and name calling--as well as questioning another person's Christianity because they disagreed with someone. Forums like this one are supposedly for the purpose of discussing the word of God and its meaning. Too many have the disallusioned belief that they are always right and never make a mistake. Such people are impossible to have a meaningfull discussion of scripture with without arguing and name calling.

Depends on what the discussion is about...if someone tells me that i don't have to have faith in Jesus to be saved,or that Jesus was is not the son of God i have no problem questioning their christianity...if they want to argue over what size sandals Jesus wore or what the measure of his stride was thats a different story....today we are supposed to beleive that people's sensetivities come first and all else including truth is second....the bible does not support this....the truth,foundational that is, is to be heard,spoken and defended regardless of how anyone feels about it.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
It also appears that you don't know that in today's world all of those things are subjective to both beleivers and unbeleivers alike....the truth no matter how it is delivered is hated and scorned and one will be accused of being unkind,inloving ect etc....also in todays world of supposedly no absolutes staing something as being absolute is considered offensive....the bible contains absolutes.

Depends on what the discussion is about...if someone tells me that i don't have to have faith in Jesus to be saved,or that Jesus was is not the son of God i have no problem questioning their christianity...if they want to argue over what size sandals Jesus wore or what the measure of his stride was thats a different story....today we are supposed to beleive that people's sensetivities come first and all else including truth is second....the bible does not support this....the truth,foundational that is, is to be heard,spoken and defended regardless of how anyone feels about it.
I think the Word defends itself as we speak it, but to keep going on and on about something turns into something ugly and often futile...at that point I just release the person to the Holy Spirit's convicting power...that's just my take on it.

Apr 24, 2012
Strat,

It also appears that you don't know that in today's world all of those things are subjective to both beleivers and unbeleivers alike....

I did reason people are bias sometimes, the commands are useful.

the truth no matter how it is delivered is hated and scorned and one will be accused of being unkind,inloving ect etc

Delivered to who ?

....also in todays world of supposedly no absolutes staing something as being absolute is considered offensive....the bible contains absolutes.

I did reason some people believe knowledge doesn't exist and they have stated knowledge doesn't exist which I reason is wrong because in that they have shown they believe they know something.

Sometimes being silent to someone is beneficial to them and you and all of us.