divorce and remarriage?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hi @GodsGrace I do think that passages such as Romans 7 and 1 Corinthians 7 are often overlooked.
In Corinthians, paul is speaking of his own opinion.
Which, I think, we could all agree with.
But it's not what Jesus said.
What a conundrum!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
In Corinthians, paul is speaking of his own opinion.
Which, I think, we could all agree with.
But it's not what Jesus said.
What a conundrum!
@GodsGrace The exception clause of which the Lord Jesus spoke can been seen in the context of the Jewish betrothal period, when someone who - for whatever reason - did not want after all to marry the person to whom betrothed, had to obtain a bill of divorcement. This is what Joseph also was thinking about before he realized that the child was conceived of the Holy Ghost; and this episode occurred during the betrothal period, 'before they came together'.

Reactions: GodsGrace

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you are thinking Grailhunter and the ladies!!!
Think.... lite and lively.
I think I can understand where you're coming from now after going back and reading your experiences.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@GodsGrace The exception clause of which the Lord Jesus spoke can been seen in the context of the Jewish betrothal period, when someone who - for whatever reason - did not want after all to marry the person to whom betrothed, had to obtain a bill of divorcement. This is what Joseph also was thinking about before he realized that the child was conceived of the Holy Ghost; and this episode occurred during the betrothal period, 'before they came together'.
Yes, this is what happened.
Joseph loved Mary and did not want her stoned to death.

Think of this:
God said it is not good for man to be alone.
But if a spouse leaves, the other must live out their life alone?
I've never understood this.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, this is what happened.
Joseph loved Mary and did not want her stoned to death.

Think of this:
God said it is not good for man to be alone.
But if a spouse leaves, the other must live out their life alone?
I've never understood this.
It turned out to Joseph that the circumstances were not what he at first thought.

I don't see that regrets over marriage justify people deciding to go against other passages of Scripture.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
It turned out to Joseph that the circumstances were not what he at first thought.

I don't see that regrets over marriage justify people deciding to go against other passages of Scripture.
I said previously that marriage has to be a commitment.
I also think it's wonderful for a married couple to age together and have all their memories of younger days. And when do they need each other more than in their older years?
It saddens me that so many let the evil one have the victory.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I said previously that marriage has to be a commitment.
I also think it's wonderful for a married couple to age together and have all their memories of younger days. And when do they need each other more than in their older years?
It saddens me that so many let the evil one have the victory.
@GodsGrace Commitment is an important word here; it's nothing like the turning on and off of a faucet/tap (which is the way some ppl seem to practise it...)

Reactions: GodsGrace

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In Corinthians, paul is speaking of his own opinion. Which, I think, we could all agree with. But it's not what Jesus said.
Given the fact that Peter placed all of Paul's epistles on the same level as other Scriptures, his "supposed" opinion is in fact what Jesus said. So any time he seems to be expressing a personal opinion, it is expressly by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Take it as Gospel truth.

Reactions: farouk

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, indeed; seems like the divorced are in a different category as per Romans 7.1-3.
I'm not sure what you mean. Since permitted divorce (according to Christ) annuls the marriage, the non-offending spouse is free to remarry. Just like the death of a spouse annuls the marriage.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'm not sure what you mean. Since permitted divorce (according to Christ) annuls the marriage, the non-offending spouse is free to remarry. Just like the death of a spouse annuls the marriage.
I would see the Lord Jesus' 'exception clause' in the Gospels as being in the context of the Jewish betrothal period, in which the parties were considered already married 'before they came together' (as per Joseph and Mary's situation at the time of the Annunciation), which would necessitate a bill of divorcement.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Enoch111 is right in saying this is the only reason God gives for divorce.
Thus my earlier post about this problem.

Ya but it is not biblical....because Christianity never adopted the concept of divorce....and that is part of the point....have we learnt better since the Bible. We have learnt that slavery is immoral and weddings are a good thing and women are human too.

So different.....most people are pulling the scriptures out of a culture and memorizing them and trying to make sense of them. The culture that those words existed, from their perspective and cultural background, does not exist anymore and it is not our culture. Most would be horrified if they wake up in that era because it is very alien to our environment. We are concerned about women and children being abused. Those good Christians were not. Certainly not concerned about happiness or at least the happiness of females.

In this era women are treated in most respects as property. A woman could be married to a man that she did not even like. Another man paid her father a bride price. And she is married. And no one cares how she is treated. Judeo-Christian customs...if a wife ran away for any reason....it was automatically judged that she had committed adultery.... so the man is free to move on. Beat them till they leave.

Jews in polygamous marriages who converted to Christianity were not required to divorce their wives and this continued for around a thousand years after Christ's ministry. There is no biblical moratorium on Polygamy or concubinage. The Catholic clergy practiced concubinage up to around the 12th century....mostly because the Church had decided that they could not have wives. Gentile Christians were not as "aped" to have polygamous marriages...not a lot of information on that. Not their customs or culture?

In the 12th century, Pope Alexander III decreed that valid marriages were by the consent of the spouses themselves, not a decision by their parents or guardians. But Christian arranged marriages were common up to the 18th century. There is not a lot of difference between an arranged marriage and a forced marriage and both would be considered human trafficking today.

Shortly after Christ ministry the Christian leaders became critical of women, sex, and nudity.....women were eventually seen by the Catholic Church as instruments of Satan tempting good men, tempting them away from the love and devotion of God. This became an hysteria, a social-religious insanity, the horror of female parts and those parts became targets of their retaliation and during the witch-hunts and inquisitions women were tortured, chopped up, and burnt by the church....and that is the G-rated description of it. That lasted for about 7 hundred years.

Now all this puts the Bible only people in a position were they have to choose between two cultures...it is not really a Bible thing...But not true to some....no matter how much misery it causes...no matter what stick with one of the 30,000 interpretations of the Bible. Freedom of religion, right?

As far as male-female relationships....we are not animals....we are the children of God and should conduct ourselves accordingly. Respect for ourselves and those we love.
For me male - female relationships are about love and respect...
Love takes time.
And during that time a couple should talk about marriage before they make love.

The Catholic Church made marriage a sacrament in the 13th century. But the Bible nor the Catholic Church had a requirement for weddings ceremonies. Wedding ceremonies were first required by the Protestants who made it a rule in the 1500's, then shortly after that the Catholic Church made wedding ceremonies mandatory. Marriage is a religious thing. The production of life is a holy thing. The family unit is important. In our rat race of a life a married couple can get frustrated, distracted, and confused. All efforts should be taken to keep a marriage happy and together.

Now I am a little on the practical side....some marriages just lose the love and they really have no use for each other....staying together for the kids...I actually agree with that.....waiting to separate until after the kids are out of the home and or school....Sometimes that is just not possible....two people can drive each other crazy, I have seen it many times. Wives dying in gun cleaning accidents....death do you part?

Be good and do good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambano

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If one of the spouses has committed adultery, the other spouse is free to divorce and remarry. Otherwise divorce is forbidden by God.
Hi Enoch111, hope you are well brother, I'm divorced as I've mentioned, I don't believe in divorce and am against it, but my spouse issued me my divorce papers and once that is done you have to abide by the law, there is no saying I don't want the divorce, if the other party, your wife or husband say they want a divorce, you can't contest it, not in N.J., you just have to go through the procedures and do it.

Looking back now I think it was for the best, as I have a son and it's not pleasant for children witnessing their parents fight, though it was the worst feeling I've ever felt having to be separated from my son, he was only 9 at the time, to this day when I think about him, tears well up in my eyes, on all the fatherly things I missed out with him.

My ex wasn't the nicest person and didn't make me seeing my son easy, always playing games and what not, despite me having a court order with visitation rights, I had to keep spending money on the corrupt system with lawyers and then her playing the same games again and having to threaten her to take her back to court to uphold the court order.

The worst feeling in my life since I've been born was being separated from my son, I forgive my ex for the things she done to me, but it's hard for me to forgive her for what she put my son through, with all her games and there were many, to this day I don't speak to my ex only when I extremely have to, my son is an adult now, so the court and her games don't apply to me anymore.

And now I'm engaged to be married again, I feel I'm forgiven as I didn't ask to be divorced, but the State of New Jersey said I had to, and in the long run I think it spared my son more mental abuse seeing his parents fights all the time, and it's actually the best thing that happened to me, her divorcing me.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And now I'm engaged to be married again, I feel I'm forgiven as I didn't ask to be divorced, but the State of New Jersey said I had to, and in the long run I think it spared my son more mental abuse seeing his parents fights all the time, and it's actually the best thing that happened to me, her divorcing me.

In this case, you are the spouse who has been "sent away". Another form of abandonment.

A short prayer for you and your beloved. Mazel Tov!

Last edited: