divorce and remarriage?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are barking up the wrong tree with me. I haven't brought up Mosaic law. I simply asked for clear Biblical support that says abuse annuls a marriage or gives her a right for divorce. You're talking to a woman who left her husband because of not only domestic violence, but cult abuse, adultery/forced adultery, and his fear of those who threatened our lives. I stood for myself and our children when he was unable or unwilling to do so. I left, but never divorced him. I prayed for him all these years.

I know and totally agree.
Not sure if you noticed.....some humor in my post.

Reactions: Nancy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
You definitely said a mouth full there.
And I do believe if you are a member of the denomination, you should abide by the rules or the denomination. That gets a little sticky. Then is it actually a sin to break one of the church rules? And then do they actually know what those rules are?

View attachment 20015

Not being a fundamentalist or a Catholic I look at all that has been changed and all that has been adopted after the Bible and most don't even know about it....they just think it has always been part of their religion.
I'm not a member of any denomination.
Used to be a Catholic.
Left many years ago.
Used to be a Nazarene.
It was nice...no Nazarene churches closer than Florence. No can do.
I go to a CC. I know catholic priests. It's good enough. I don't pay attention
to some of the doctrine - which is why I can't call myself a Catholic. But it's good in many ways -
Catholics aren't always looking around "for a good church" like Protestants are.

I abide by what God said...not what a denomination said.
And your image above:

hysterical.gif
hysterical.gif
hysterical.gif

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know and totally agree.
Not sure if you noticed.....some humor in my post.
None whatsoever. It felt very hurtful, and like gloating coming from a man, commenting about fantasizing of living in a polygamist and abusive marriage with no way out. I didn't read any further.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None whatsoever. It felt very hurtful, and like gloating coming from a man, commenting about fantasizing of living in a polygamist and abusive marriage with no way out. I didn't read any further.
Duly Noted
I did spell it out.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
You definitely said a mouth full there.
And I do believe if you are a member of the denomination, you should abide by the rules or the denomination. That gets a little sticky. Then is it actually a sin to break one of the church rules? And then do they actually know what those rules are?

View attachment 20015

Not being a fundamentalist or a Catholic I look at all that has been changed and all that has been adopted after the Bible and most don't even know about it....they just think it has always been part of their religion.
@Nancy

Hey Nancy,
I think Grailhunter's chart is the funniest one I've ever seen!
The more I followed the arrows, the more I laughed.

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i dont really care for crude humor in my thread. i am an abuse survivor and some stuff can be triggering as it is. but all insights from the Bible and experience are welcome.
i am not sure if the Bible addresses everything

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i dont really care for crude humor in my thread. i am an abuse survivor and some stuff can be triggering as it is. but all insights from the Bible and experience are welcome.
i am not sure if the Bible addresses everything
I have seen no crude humor in your thread so you are good.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
would it be a sin for a single never married to marry a divorced person? many people believe the spouse is still married to the first spouse.
If one of the spouses has committed adultery, the other spouse is free to divorce and remarry. Otherwise divorce is forbidden by God.

Oceanprayers

Jan 5, 2022
Panama City
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@GodsGrace @Oceanprayers @TLHKAJ

Are you ladies fantasizing about being in a polygamous marriage or want to be concubines? I am sure you ladies would fetch a good price! If not? Why are you talking about the Mosaic Law....why are you concerned with the conversation that Christ had with the Jews about the Mosaic Law?

We are Christians. Right? If you are going to focus on anything focus on what Paul said.
Fundamentalists...you guys have a hard enough time keeping up with what is in the Bible...there is some humor there!
Biblically speaking, there was no such thing as a Christian divorce. They just left each other, no religious process for divorce in Christianity. That is why the word divorce does not appear outside the Gospels. The relationship was severed when one or the other had sex with someone else after they separated. The sin that keeps compounding! I find humor in this! That would be a new type of sin not found in the Bible. LOL If we get drunk....and in order to repent or get forgivness.....do we have to go back and puck the whiskey on the bartender?

Legally women could not divorce their husbands until around 1643.

Common sense applies. Marriage is for two people that are in love. The 5 O' clock news documents couples that are married that are not in love. Ever see two cats with their tails tied together thrown over a clothes line? Common sense applies.....are we going to punish the children?....growing up in a home that has no love?

With all this concern through the centuries, you would think some one in church would come up with some relationship counseling before conducting a marriage.
Did you get all that out of your system? Feel better now?
You have demonstrated you are unable to lecture any woman about the Bible way of things.

Oceanprayers

Jan 5, 2022
Panama City
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Christians get divorced just as much as non-Christians.
We all know this.

Actually, what Jesus taught is very difficult for me to make peace with.
When we speak about marriage I have to state what the bible states...I don't believe
we're allowed to have our own opinion about what Jesus spoke.

However, I'd have to agree with much of what you say.
The problem today, I THINK, is that persons leave each other for the sake of convenience.
Or maybe they don't "like" each other anymore.
Sometimes there is not a "real" reason..although to them it seems like a real reason.

So if we're going to speak biblically, yes, when 2 persons get married, they are married until one of them dies...except for some
good reason. MOST don't have a "good" reason that would annul the marriage.

What to do? If a man leaves a woman with two children to raise and she meets a man she would like to share her life with -- it seems that Jesus' words are very harsh. (to divorce, legally, ONLY in case of adultery).

Some of His sayings are difficult to bear.
Maybe 2 Timothy 4:3 ?
Maybe Acts 7:57 ?
I think of the system of edits and controls that went into compiling what is today's bible. And particularly the new testament .Man's rule and rules and politics at the time .

Then I realize God forgives and is love. And I believe. Because I've witnessed marriages where the people in them hate one another but stay together for any number of reasons.
And I feel if someone wants to know hell in this life there it is .

Were I married and found it unbearable, I'd leave. Because God forgives. And if I found someone I wanted to marry again, I would.
And if God damns me to hell for that, I'll know I worshipped the devil all along. But at least while human I was happy in a marriage not hell on earth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambano

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If one of the spouses has committed adultery, the other spouse is free to divorce and remarry. Otherwise divorce is forbidden by God.

Do you beat your wife?
Was your mother beat?
Marriage is not slavery?
You impose a very cruel nature on God.
Maybe turn the other cheek applies to men.....but just beat me long and hard anywhere....applies to women?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambano

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you get all that out of your system? Feel better now?
You have demonstrated you are unable to lecture any woman about the Bible way of things.

Not a lecture. humor. common sense....humor is a wonderful thing...get some. I will write you down as having none....and restrict my conversations with you......anybody else want on the list?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Christians get divorced just as much as non-Christians.
We all know this.

Actually, what Jesus taught is very difficult for me to make peace with.
When we speak about marriage I have to state what the bible states...I don't believe
we're allowed to have our own opinion about what Jesus spoke.

However, I'd have to agree with much of what you say.
The problem today, I THINK, is that persons leave each other for the sake of convenience.
Or maybe they don't "like" each other anymore.
Sometimes there is not a "real" reason..although to them it seems like a real reason.

So if we're going to speak biblically, yes, when 2 persons get married, they are married until one of them dies...except for some
good reason. MOST don't have a "good" reason that would annul the marriage.

What to do? If a man leaves a woman with two children to raise and she meets a man she would like to share her life with -- it seems that Jesus' words are very harsh. (to divorce, legally, ONLY in case of adultery).

Some of His sayings are difficult to bear.
Maybe 2 Timothy 4:3 ?
Maybe Acts 7:57 ?
Hi @GodsGrace I do think that passages such as Romans 7 and 1 Corinthians 7 are often overlooked.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Do you beat your wife?
Was your mother beat?
Marriage is not slavery?
You impose a very cruel nature on God.
Maybe turn the other cheek applies to men.....but just beat me long and hard anywhere....applies to women.
@Enoch111 is right in saying this is the only reason God gives for divorce.
Thus my earlier post about this problem.