divorce and remarriage?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
would it be a sin for a single never married to marry a divorced person? many people believe the spouse is still married to the first spouse.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
would it be a sin for a single never married to marry a divorced person? many people believe the spouse is still married to the first spouse.
I was divorced when I married my husband but he hadn't been married before - BUT that was before we became Christians and we were both assured by our vicar that when we came to Jesus we were forgiven.

Reactions: Nancy and Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It depends on the circumstances of the divorce, i.e. was there adultery, was a believing spouse abandoned by a non-believer, etc.

I married a wonderful lady who divorced her husband because she got tired of being kicked and thrown into walls. Our pastor, who took Jesus's words seriously, judged it okay. Abuse is effectively abandonment. We've been married 37 happy years now. :) If it was sin, I trust in Christ's atoning blood, and in the Father's forgiveness. And so should you.

I'm curious as to why you ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLHKAJ and Nancy

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am divorced but not by my choosing, and am engaged to be married again to my Fiance who has never been married, and my ex was divorced from her first husband when we got married.

I kept my vows, my ex didn't, so I would assume in the eyes of God I would not be committing a sin by remarrying again.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was divorced when I married my husband but he hadn't been married before - BUT that was before we became Christians and we were both assured by our vicar that when we came to Jesus we were forgiven.

Exactamundo....!
When you come out of that water......the person that was.....is no more.....Hallelujah!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pearl and Lambano

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the Bible mentions remarriage being okay if there was adultery or for death of a spouse. I would have to look up those scriptures though if you want to see them.
...and if your spouse abandons you. Which is the same as them divorcing you, just minus all the paperwork.

Reactions: Lambano

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems like Romans 7:3 and 1 Corinthians 7:11 are so often overlooked...

@lilygrace @Mayflower

Matthew 5:31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: 32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

His words does confirm this sin as ongoing in aligning with those verses. Romans 7:3 & 1 Corinthians 7:11

Romans 7:3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

Here, when someone does marry another after a divorce, if the original spouse dies, the surviving spouse is not in sin any more.

At least, that is how I read that verse to mean. Any contentions or reproofs on that conclusion?

1 Corinthians 7:11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

Here is stressed for believers that do depart or get separated, not to get a divorce at all or else reconcile.

My question now is.. what happens to that saved believer that has gotten a divorce but not because of adultery, but marries another anyway, and so living in sin as an adulterer for when the Bridegroom comes? Do they get left behind?

P.S. I believe those left behind are still saved but just missed out on the firstfruits of the resurrection. But I do wonder how that applies to this issue, because it looks like they will be, but how can they repent?

Just confess their sins and ask Him for help not to do that again?

Last edited:

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It depends on the circumstances of the divorce, i.e. was there adultery, was a believing spouse abandoned by a non-believer, etc.

I married a wonderful lady who divorced her husband because she got tired of being kicked and thrown into walls. Our pastor, who took Jesus's words seriously, judged it okay. Abuse is effectively abandonment. We've been married 37 happy years now. :) If it was sin, I trust in Christ's atoning blood, and in the Father's forgiveness. And so should you.

I'm curious as to why you ask.
why do i ask?
;)
but seriously. i as a single, many men close to my age are divorced or single fathers, or some men are undesirable and icky.

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i do believe and feel led by God at some point to discuss with the person their reasons for divorce. i am not entitled to this information as of now.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i do believe and feel led by God at some point to discuss with the person their reasons for divorce. i am not entitled to this information as of now.
I agree, and it is something you need to know if and when the relationship gets serious.

My wife was very transparent about the reasons for her divorce, and I appreciated her willingness to discuss it openly. Both for personal and legal reasons, I might add.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLHKAJ

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@lilygrace @Mayflower

Matthew 5:31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: 32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

His words does confirm this sin as ongoing in aligning with those verses. Romans 7:3 & 1 Corinthians 7:11

Romans 7:3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

Here, when someone does marry another after a divorce, if the original spouse dies, the surviving spouse is not in sin any more.

At least, that is how I read that verse to mean. Any contentions or reproofs on that conclusion?

1 Corinthians 7:11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

Here is stressed for believers that do depart or get separated, not to get a divorce at all or else reconcile.

My question now is.. what happens to that saved believer that has gotten a divorce but not because of adultery, but marries another anyway, and so living in sin as an adulterer for when the Bridegroom comes? Do they get left behind?

P.S. I believe those left behind are still saved but just missed out on the firstfruits of the resurrection. But I do wonder how that applies to this issue, because it looks like they will be, but how can they repent?

I liked everything up to the p.s. then had to unlike it, because I'm not sure what to think about that if it is living in adultery or not/left behind. Homosexual marriage would. My husband was sadly cheated on, so I had no problem marrying him. But some who remarry are lonely and their sin is greater in that loneliness. Love covers a multitude of sin.

Reactions: Christ4Me

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hidden In Him @Nancy @Mayflower @lilygrace

I added this to my previous post :

That was posted after you had liked it, Mayflower. So if that changes how you liked it, do feel free to unlike it if that be the case and share some reproof by scripture if need be. Just thought you should know.

In Christ's love, I love someone as my Christian sister in that situation is why I am asking. I hope to see her in Heaven at the rapture event.

Reactions: Nancy

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I liked everything up to the p.s. then had to unlike it, because I'm not sure what to think about that if it is living in adultery or not/left behind. Homosexual marriage would. My husband was sadly cheated on, so I had no problem marrying him. But some who remarry are lonely and their sin is greater in that loneliness. Love covers a multitude of sin.

I had written a long post about this and then shortened it before just posting it now before writing this post!

So I understand the unliking part. Thank you for replying though.

I can wonder and then hope that the man's first wife had cheated on him for why he would be free to marry that girl I care about.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry sister but, the sin of adultery and the sin of homosexuality are no different, same as sex outside of marriage, it's all fornication. It's just that so many want to change the clear cut verses to fit their own desires...or excuse their own choices, right or wrong. Hetrosexual's do it just as much as homosexuals do...if not even more, yet theirs is more acceptable because it's at least the right sex! Pfft. It's all sin. And if we are going to the abomination thingy, there are way more instances of this word in Proverbs, concerning the heart and the mind.
All were made in Gods image and need forgiveness for sin.
Hope that was not harsh sister but, it just irks me because SO many have been indoctrinated to develop the "ick" factor with that ONE sin. Like, it is always singled out of all the MANY, MANY other sins. JMHO.
xo

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our pastor, who took Jesus's words seriously, judged it okay. Abuse is effectively abandonment.
Did your pastor give scripture for this? This has been a question in my mind for a long time.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

For this alone? No. These were commands of the Lord, and breaking them is indeed displeasing to God, but remarrying doesn't cancel out His grace entirely. The bigger question is this: Is she living her life in service to the Lord Jesus Christ? This is what will make or break her.
I added this to my previous post :

Now you are deep into eschatology, but after the rapture the world will be handed over the Antichrist and be subjected to the wrath of God. Being left behind in such a context would be a very bad deal, IMO.

Also, it is unlikely IMO that anyone alive right now will live to see the rapture, at least for the next 20-30 years for certain. But many wish to disagree with me on that.

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1Co 7:27 Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed (divorced) from a wife? seek not a wife.
1Co 7:28 But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you.

Reactions: Mayflower