Do animals have rights?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do animals have rights?

do animals have an immortal soul?

do animals have an intellect and will?
John Wick would disagree if you said that animals don't have value :D

john-wick-dog-meme-147823-1.jpg

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@devin553344 ~
~ Just noting...
Person denotes a living manKIND of thing.
Dead bodies are no longer called “persons”.
....called the departed, the deceased, the corpse, the dead, called by name, relationship....but not a person.

Reactions: dev553344

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think God is the father of spirits. Animals have spirits. He loves his creation including the animals.

I know all the birds of the mountains, And the wild beasts of the field are Mine.

No they don’t have rights. We have dominion over them.

I do think they have an immortal spirit.

Yes they have will and intellect.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. I love animals, but they don't really love me some of them. But they are intelligent and have souls I think.

Revelation 5:13

“And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.”

1 Timothy 4:4

“For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:”
Awesome bro! Great verses.

Reactions: dev553344

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, yes they can!!!
Man uses animals to farm, to support, to guide, rescue . Animals can be trained to do alot of things.

It's sad really, but most animals are actually much smarter than the humans who presume they are incapable of rational thought.

Reactions: Cassandra

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
most animals are actually much smarter than the humans who presume they are incapable of rational thought.

“…God my maker, who giveth songs in the night; Who teacheth us more than the beasts of the earth, and maketh us wiser than the fowls of heaven” (Job 35:10-11)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“…God my maker, who giveth songs in the night; Who teacheth us more than the beasts of the earth, and maketh us wiser than the fowls of heaven” (Job 35:10-11)

That's the way it should be, yes. Unfortunately it's not always the case. :p

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
look at Balaam, that donkey got his licks in ;)
They can think and learn and love . They are not just appetite oriented.
You must have never know the joy of owning a pet.
"And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honor, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever." (Revelation 5:13)
I think God is the father of spirits. Animals have spirits. He loves his creation including the animals.

I created a fun counter-thread for anyone interested in posting:

Animals Actually Do Think Rationally

Reactions: Nancy

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do animals have rights?

do animals have an immortal soul?

do animals have an intellect and will?

1. Depends what you mean by rights. God in His Word says that righteous people are kind to animals but by the same token they are here for food (which the Lord allows) and in Israel's case were sacrifices. But a person who killed an animal outside of the prescribed sacrificial method was guilty of killing that animal. It's sort of like war. There's a time to kill (as Solomon said) but yet the command says "Do not kill (murder). So if you mean "rights" in the sense that they ought not be mistreated, yes, the Lord Himself says so.
2. No, animals do not have an immortal soul... and neither does man. Our hope is in a future resurrection to life. If the Lord decides to do that with animals I won't argue that c.f. Romans 8:19. The bible teaches only God is inherently immortal and grants by grace immortality and eternal life to those he chose and believes in Him.
3. Yes, but not on the level of man who is created in the image of God. Man has a spirit (mind) capable of connecting with God. Animals have intellect mostly by innate ability but can have a limited learning ability. Animals also have a will most likely related to survival and rudimentary comfort. A dog for example can be a "companion" but is limited compared to a human.

IMO the physical world reflects the spiritual. Animals are to mankind as angels are to God. There are all manners of celestial beings and types just as there are animal variations but they are not at the level of God. The first chapter of Hebrews addresses this.

Reactions: Brakelite

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose if a person confines an animal, the animal would have a right to be cared for.

Yes animals have an immortal soul.

Yes animals have an intellect.

Yes animals have a will.

Only physical body with appetites

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ll ask you this on here as we were talking on another thread that I can’t find

As a Christian do you feel the duty to pray for the conversion of sinners, or for the grace of those who are dying apart from Christ to accept the gospel?

Do you ever say?

precious blood of Jesus save us!

Or eternal Father I offer Thee the precious blood of Jesus!

Or eternal Father I offer the merits of Christ’s passion and death!

Or My Jesus, pardon and mercy thru the merits of Thy holy wounds!