Do Christians have a desperately wicked heart?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the book of Jeremiah it says,

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Does this apply to Christians? Or have we been given a new heart that is not desperately wicked?

Ezekiel 36:26
King James Version

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Does having a heart of flesh mean it's no longer desperately wicked?

The reason I ask is because I don't trust my heart. I don't follow my heart because sometimes the things I want are just no good.

So I figured I'd ask for insight.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Does this apply to Christians? Or have we been given a new heart that is not desperately wicked?

King James Version

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

The reason I ask is because I don't trust my heart. I don't follow my heart because sometimes the things I want are just no good.

If you have the courage to enquire about your own heart; if you have insight and self honesty about the same, the answer to your question will be evident.

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Good morning, Wynona. Only by God’s wonderful amazing GRACE are our stony hearts softened. Please never doubt that your Father in heaven has done this. He has melted your heart by the precious blood of your Savior. View attachment 17261

jb
is your heart used to be like a stone before?
just like a person died on the news or a person got into car accident died on your way home yet you feel nothing

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"I don't trust my heart" is the wisest thing I've heard today.
The more truth I have in my heart, the freer I am.

Reactions: Wynona and Nancy

jessiblue

Aug 21, 2021
a Heavenly place
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
is your heart used to be like a stone before?
just like a person died on the news or a person got into car accident died on your way home yet you feel nothing

I think that, as humans, our emotions will always be fickle (all over the place—even numb, whereby we don’t feel anything at all), but feelings and emotions cannot harden a heart that has been touched and softened by our Father. I think this could not even be possible. I’ve had much tragedy in my life, but even the grief in my heart has not turned it stony. On the contrary… And if I hear someone trash (blaspheme) the beloved name of my Savior, my heart inside feels the pain and grief that I imagine Jesus feels ….because it is God that has put a new heart and a new spirit inside of me. I haven’t done it; He has.

Blessings,
jb

Last edited:

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We love His name because of His great love for us. We are called to hang on that cross with Him and say, "Father, forgive."
What an awesome God we serve!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The carnal heart: God's truth hangs down the middle, it is the plumbline of His truth.
To the left is the cardinal, or foundational stone of unbelief. Sins like rejection, shame, self-hatred, etc., are lies that, when stacked on top of each other, form a wall of protection.
To the right, is the cardinal, or foundational stone of pride. Sins like self-righteousness, superiority, stubbornness, etc, are lies, that when stacked on top of one another, form another wall of protection.
Satan leads one to build these walls of protection, which lead to a stony heart.

Reactions: Taken

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The carnal heart: God's truth hangs down the middle, it is the plumbline of His truth.
To the left is the cardinal, or foundational stone of unbelief. Sins like rejection, shame, self-hatred, etc., are lies that, when stacked on top of each other, form a wall of protection.
To the right, is the cardinal, or foundational stone of pride. Sins like self-righteousness, superiority, stubbornness, etc, are lies, that when stacked on top of one another, form another wall of protection.
Satan leads one to build these walls of protection, which lead to a stony heart.

How specific!

Reactions: Truman

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

King James Version

Given a New Heart...a place for the Lords Spirit...when the man becomes converted.

Circumcision of the natural heart is part of the WORKS the Lord does in a man...when a man agrees to accept the Lords Offering of Salvation.

Reactions: Truman and Wynona

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

King James Version

@Wynona I think the Fruit of the Spirit passage in Galatians is relevant...

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
@Wynona

Do Christians have a desperately wicked heart?

No.

And that is because God had created them anew. And having been created anew, they have been given a new heart and so become a new man. Now concerning the old man, God said that the intents or the imaginations or the thoughts of his heart is evil from his youth (Gen.8:21). God had done away with that in the new creation of the Christian. He gave him a new heart, and which definitely is not one that is desperately wicked.

Tong
R4158

Reactions: Wynona and marks

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Im starting to think that the bad stuff I don't trust is really my flesh. All believers war against the flesh.

But my heart is the new heart promised in Ezekiel.
The heart of the Christian desires good. And I would agree with you that any bad stuff has nothing to do with such heart, but with the still corrupted flesh where sin dwells (Rom.7:17).

Tong
R4159

Reactions: Wynona and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

For me the answer is here:

2 Corinthians 5
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

Ephesians 4
21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

We've been born from God, and now we are His kids, not Adam's kids. The child of Adam's heart is deceiptful and wicked, but God created us new, patterned after Him, righteous, holy. Saints.

The flesh is the one born from Adam, with it's "deceiptful lusts". We become deceived when we fail to differentiate between the desires of the old man and the new man. We are to put off the old and put on the new.

The better we know the Bible, the more we can see which is which. And the more we choose for the Godly life, the better we get at doing that.

Much love!

Reactions: Wynona

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The heart of the Christian desires good. And I would agree with you that any bad stuff has nothing to do with such heart, but with the still corrupted flesh where sin dwells (Rom.7:17).

Tong
R4159
Or to say this more simply than I managed!

:)

Much love!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

King James Version

Our hearts are what we make them. Being Christian doesn't automatically give us good hearts. We make our hearts good by obeying the Lord.

Reactions: GodsBeloved11