Do Christians really show love one to another?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
Do Christians tend to show love to other Christians even when their views are different? I myself have tried to learn what others believe so that I can show love to them. I have tried to put myself in the shoes of others and try not to offend and try to put love and compassion ahead of my own viewpoint. I recently made a facebook post on this subject and it was only one minute before one of my Christian friends was, In my opinion, being unkind to another of my Christian friends. He actually called her a liar. I concluded--No Christians are not careful to show love to each other b/c they are too busy defending their own opinions. These are not things God revealed to them- they are opinions. Christians call each other liars, Stupid, going to hell, etc.etc. the list of slams towards others never ends. I am a very compassionate and loving person and often wear my heart on my sleeve, although I will stand up and fight hard when I see cruelty. Many people up here conduct themselves in an awesome manner but many talk so much that any non Christian looking would just say well they are just crazy-just like we always knew. It seems to me that the Devil lives hard and strong in almost every religion. Do we Christians show the love of Christ in spite of our differences? I came from an extremely legalistic religion and they basically told us the whole world was going to hell. My sensitive heart was injured and still is!!! I would like to challenge every member up here to ask themselves and I will ask myself also----Am I loving others as well as Jesus? How close to Christ's guidance can I get? Was the Holy Spirit guiding what I said? What is wrong with saying I apologize when we are harsh? Does not being kind trump being right? Did you rebuke in Christ or in ego? I am not judged to even be a Christian at all by many up here---Thats ok. I am not a teacher but I have been taking your temperature. Ego is everywhere.

Do you love even close to Christ who loved the masses and the sick and the demonic? I do not see Christians being more loving than the secular overall! Do you stand out as loving like Christ did? Was it not written "you will know them by their love for one another?"

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I came to love the truth through my relationship with God. I have to believe all Christians love the truth, and this is why most hold to their opinions doggedly. They think their own opinions and the truth that they love are one and the same.

This is how I show reverence to the truth, I delete a vast majority of what I write, just because it doesn't quite sound right. And when I do write it is succinct and to the point.

Reactions: Shirley

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Loving the truth....I guess. I love the Truth, as in God, yes! but truth? How can I truly love an idea? I believe we are called to love God and neighbor.......

I fear that Christians get 'truth' confused with their opinion of truth......and then, fall in love with their opinion. This is not a good thing....it is actually idolatry. We cannot know truth apart from God and even when you do know God, it is still tough because it is no longer intuitive, like it was before the Fall. I think we are called to be perfect - perfection is doing what we were created to do - loving outwardly. Truth is more of a fact than an object of love. I enjoy being in nature, but I do not love it like a person or God - it just 'is', like truth.

Reactions: Shirley

DanielGarneau

Apr 19, 2014
Quebec City, Province of Quebec, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Defending the truth of God's Word is important, but that should be made not only with the contents expressed in our postings but also in the way we choose to express these contents. If we talk disrespectfully to someone about a truth the Bible teaches we are untrue to the Bible's teaching in the way we write.

"Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone" (Colossians 4:6, NIV, 2011).

"Your speech should always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you should answer each person" (Colossians 4:6, HCSB)

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
Thank you folks for caring!

I've always used IITim.3:16, "refutable" and "correctable" (declares publicly) as to whether I or others have an agape for the "Truth."

Secondly, I've always used Jn.3:16, "God agape the world" as to whether I or others have a true understanding of God's agape so that we can agape one another waaaay beyond the touchy touchy feely feely pervasively taught today.

Old litmus tester Jack hopefully not too legalistic?

B

brakelite

aspen said:
Loving the truth....I guess. I love the Truth, as in God, yes! but truth? How can I truly love an idea? I believe we are called to love God and neighbor.......

I fear that Christians get 'truth' confused with their opinion of truth......and then, fall in love with their opinion. This is not a good thing....it is actually idolatry. We cannot know truth apart from God and even when you do know God, it is still tough because it is no longer intuitive, like it was before the Fall. I think we are called to be perfect - perfection is doing what we were created to do - loving outwardly. Truth is more of a fact than an object of love. I enjoy being in nature, but I do not love it like a person or God - it just 'is', like truth.
Not only do Christians get confused between their own opinion and "Truth" (not capital 'T'), but they also get confused between Truth and what churches teach and claim to be truth, thus is merely their church's opinion.

Yet I do believe we are getting a little off topic....the OP was more concerned about the love we ought to have for one another, and rightly so. We can have all the "Truth" in the world, yet if we do not have love, we are but ringing in everyone's ears.

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
RANDOR said:
It's time to be bold for Christ............

Did not the truth set you free?
You got it again! The Godman Jesus is the actual embodiment of the Truth.

He broke those chains...thank you Jesus!

Old thankful Jack
So God could embrace and kiss a world full of sin, ie, a cesspool in Jn.3:16...not ringing in truth...missing something here?

Old Jack

B

brakelite

Remember the parable Jesus shared of the house on sand or rock? He described the house built on sand, its ultimate demise, then said...he who hears My sayings but doeth them not...
then went on to describe the house on the rock, its ultimate destiny, and said,,,he who hears My sayings and doeth them...

Hearing and believing the truth isn't enough to guarantee an entrance into God's kingdom. We may know the truth of the gospel...we may even believe it ans receive it...and in so doing be legally justified before the Father, yet, if we dont not allow the truth of the gospel to sanctify us...(sanctify them My Father through thy truth; they word is truth) while we may have passed through or past the altar of sacrifice, we have not yet entered into the sanctuary proper, and have yet to taste and partake of the Bread of Life, ands become wholly surrendered to God's will. Without obedience, without the doing of Jesus sayings, we are building our salvation on sand. While being legally qualified for glory, we ultimately will miss the mark. Love for our brothers and sisters is the beginning...love for our enemies is the goal...and is the fruit and evidence of a gospel that has taken root in the heart and soul of the repentant sinner.

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
Thank you for caring!

So if we love our enemies trying to give them a hug and end with a black eye...something wrong with this? How do we "love" our enemies without getting punched out?

Old ducking Jack

btw isn't the 'doing of the Word' here at Matt.7:24, etc. is where one's life is lived in a valid faith effected through a genuine repentance.
How can God hug a cesspool world of sin giving it a kiss? I don't thing so?

Reactions: JPPT1974

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Shirley said:
Do Christians tend to show love to other Christians even when their views are different? I myself have tried to learn what others believe so that I can show love to them. I have tried to put myself in the shoes of others and try not to offend and try to put love and compassion ahead of my own viewpoint. I recently made a facebook post on this subject and it was only one minute before one of my Christian friends was, In my opinion, being unkind to another of my Christian friends. He actually called her a liar. I concluded--No Christians are not careful to show love to each other b/c they are too busy defending their own opinions. These are not things God revealed to them- they are opinions. Christians call each other liars, Stupid, going to hell, etc.etc. the list of slams towards others never ends. I am a very compassionate and loving person and often wear my heart on my sleeve, although I will stand up and fight hard when I see cruelty. Many people up here conduct themselves in an awesome manner but many talk so much that any non Christian looking would just say well they are just crazy-just like we always knew. It seems to me that the Devil lives hard and strong in almost every religion. Do we Christians show the love of Christ in spite of our differences? I came from an extremely legalistic religion and they basically told us the whole world was going to hell. My sensitive heart was injured and still is!!! I would like to challenge every member up here to ask themselves and I will ask myself also----Am I loving others as well as Jesus? How close to Christ's guidance can I get? Was the Holy Spirit guiding what I said? What is wrong with saying I apologize when we are harsh? Does not being kind trump being right? Did you rebuke in Christ or in ego? I am not judged to even be a Christian at all by many up here---Thats ok. I am not a teacher but I have been taking your temperature. Ego is everywhere.

Do you love even close to Christ who loved the masses and the sick and the demonic? I do not see Christians being more loving than the secular overall! Do you stand out as loving like Christ did? Was it not written "you will know them by their love for one another?"
Some do some don't, and thus it always has been and will be to the end. Empathy is not an easy thing to have nor are we perfect in using it. I don't believe God empathizes with anyone. He loves the WORLD and sent His SON for it. That is ALL mankind. That is LOVE.
We do our best I guess, and some could do better but not on sights like this. Love involves personal touch and involvement, not words. I don't come here to love as much as I come here to discuss. I very rarely discuss with non-Christians.

As to how well I do it, only Jesus is able to tell me, or at least He will on that day.

JPPT1974

Flowers of May
Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 23, 2012
East TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is very hard to love our enemies. As we need to have God let us love them. As we need to do. It is the right thing to do. Christ does so and so do we?!

Reactions: judd

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
StanJ said:
Some do some don't, and thus it always has been and will be to the end. Empathy is not an easy thing to have nor are we perfect in using it. I don't believe God empathizes with anyone. He loves the WORLD and sent His SON for it. That is ALL mankind. That is LOVE.
We do our best I guess, and some could do better but not on sights like this. Love involves personal touch and involvement, not words. I don't come here to love as much as I come here to discuss. I very rarely discuss with non-Christians.

As to how well I do it, only Jesus is able to tell me, or at least He will on that day.
Not picking on you my brother, wanted to bring forth another unpopular view.

God couldn't from the English view of "love," love the cesspool world of men in sin hugging and kissing them; however God could agape the cesspool world of men sort of thing. Little different my brother.

Old Jack two-bits

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
shturt678s said:
Not picking on you my brother, wanted to bring forth another unpopular view.

God couldn't from the English view of "love," love the cesspool world of men in sin hugging and kissing them; however God could agape the cesspool world of men sort of thing. Little different my brother.

Old Jack two-bits
No problem Jack....we don't need three different words for love. We understand by the context it is used in.

ccfromsc

Jul 13, 2012
North Charleston, SC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK I will bite. In word NO. Christians shoot their wounded. It may also be a title to a book, but it is so true. Ever notice to "Forgive?" Well Christians may "forgive" but they do not let you "forget" and that is true. Also sometimes it is better to be one's enemy rather than their friend. Why? Cause a lot of the time one does take advantage of their friends.Take them for granted too. Whereas being an enemy garners more respect.

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
Thank you folks for caring and because this is an important thread for sure.

God couldn't love (embrace and kiss) a cesspool world of sinners in altruistic or affectionate love, however He could and did "understand" with a higher divine "Purpose" to bring in His own thus in this way He did and could agape them.

Old Jack just thinking out loud again.

kbrenton

Dec 13, 2014
Delaware
I have always tried to know my bible and live accordingly. First we are to love and treat others as I would want to be treated.We are to lead by example by not jugding other,,share with them in truth and do nothingm to hinder thwir walk with Jesus. It says in the Bible that if someones faith is new we should not let our confidence make them uncomfortable.in all ways live in peace with everyone not tending toward controversy. I try to live as Jesus desired for us and turning the other cheek whenever possible. I think it is a stronger faith not needing the last word but show by example without harsh words or harshness. What would Jesus do, should be our first thought.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I have mentioned before, the true love of Christ is powerful! If you truly live for Christ and walk with Him, you feel it and have a burning desire to share it with others.