trying to interpret "love" passage

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

1 Corinthians 13:1-8​

New International Version​

13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
-----
What does it mean that love does not envy and it does not boast? For example in real life I think envy means that you look up to others who have something that you do not have so love is not being like that, right? Is that what it means?
And it does not boast, wow, that seems hard, like you cannot say something you're proud of about yourself that you did, or that you have?
And always trusts, what does that mean since there are people who you can't or shouldn't trust out there???

Can anyone make these things clear to me? Thanks a lot.

And what does verse 8 mean... "But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away"? Thanks!

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
-----
What does it mean that love does not envy and it does not boast? For example in real life I think envy means that you look up to others who have something that you do not have so love is not being like that, right? Is that what it means?
And it does not boast, wow, that seems hard, like you cannot say something you're proud of about yourself that you did, or that you have?
And always trusts, what does that mean since there are people who you can't or shouldn't trust out there???

Yes, there are 2 spirits involved with the things you're describing. One can boast in the Lord in a right spirit, because it is properly giving glory to God, whose glory it is. Or, one can boast in himself, as if he doesn't need the Lord to accomplish things. This is a bad spirit.

So when Paul is saying that love doesn't boast, he is talking about boasting with a bad spirit, an unloving spirit because it is not boasting in the Lord, who is the source of love.

The same thing with envy. There is a proper looking up to good examples, admiring them and wishing to have the same qualities. This is a good spirit. It's something the Lord wants us all to have.

But there is also an evil envy, a spirit that plans and plots to take away things that belong to others. That is an evil spirit that isn't what the Lord wishes of us, who has given each of us our own gifts to be properly used, and not stolen from us.

If God has rewarded us with a nice car or house, He certainly doesn't want others, who have not earned this particular reward, to come and take them away from us. That envy is of an evil spirit.

And what does verse 8 mean... "But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away"? Thanks!
These are things that can unite or divide people, depending on whether there is a spirit of love in them. They are designed by the Lord to lead to righteousness and unity. When God finally judges sin and removes it, there will be no more need for distinguishing between one and the other in terms of good and evil spirits. The knowledge of God's love will unite us all.

Zachariah.

Jan 22, 2024
Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

-----

There are I think 5 different kind of "Loves" referred to in the bible. However to keep it simple we can look at love in 2 forms. One form being a "projection" of love which is the giving of your love to somone or something else. The second form of love is exactly the same as the first only it is in reverse, it is not a "giving" rather it is a "taking".

To set apart these two modalities of Love takes alot of self work and introspection. The taking of love is described best with the word desire. If we desire something, we want it for ourselves. Pride, self esteem and desire are all "selfish/taking" forms of love however this does not mean they are necessarily bad.

The giving of love is best described with the word "empathy". This is the act of self sacrifice and the giving of life (love). Empathy, compassion and courage are a few words used to describe a "projection" or a giving of love.

In these scriptures it is specifically talking about compassion, and what's its saying is that compassion itself holds within it all these natures it is describing. For example, if you are feeling compassionate towards somone, you have forgotten about what they have done wrong to you in the past. This is the nature of compassion.

To help you understand more the nature of compassion, the Holy Spirit, the white dove and the Moon are all symbols of this area of consciousness. Words like pure, virgin, agape, freedom, salvation, law, Truth all natures of this area of consciousness.

• Love
Reactions: thelord's_pearl

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

-----

Have a look at what is said at the end of verse five.....'love holds no record of wrongs'...interesting?

Sin condemns itself, God does not need to condemn it because sin destroys itself. Sin nailed Jesus to the cross thinking it had one on Jesus but what it actually did was reveal its murderous and suicidal characteristic. Sin does not always appear like this...Sin often appears plausible but this is the deception it inherently has.

This raises another question, what is the Judgement of God about if God holds no record of wrongs? You might want to explore this?

Reactions: Pisteuo

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, there are 2 spirits involved with the things you're describing. One can boast in the Lord in a right spirit, because it is properly giving glory to God, whose glory it is. Or, one can boast in himself, as if he doesn't need the Lord to accomplish things. This is a bad spirit.

So when Paul is saying that love doesn't boast, he is talking about boasting with a bad spirit, an unloving spirit because it is not boasting in the Lord, who is the source of love.

The same thing with envy. There is a proper looking up to good examples, admiring them and wishing to have the same qualities. This is a good spirit. It's something the Lord wants us all to have.

But there is also an evil envy, a spirit that plans and plots to take away things that belong to others. That is an evil spirit that isn't what the Lord wishes of us, who has given each of us our own gifts to be properly used, and not stolen from us.

If God has rewarded us with a nice car or house, He certainly doesn't want others, who have not earned this particular reward, to come and take them away from us. That envy is of an evil spirit.

These are things that can unite or divide people, depending on whether there is a spirit of love in them. They are designed by the Lord to lead to righteousness and unity. When God finally judges sin and removes it, there will be no more need for distinguishing between one and the other in terms of good and evil spirits. The knowledge of God's love will unite us all.
Thanks! You made this very clear to me! How about the always trusts question in the op? Do you have an answer of clarity for that? Thanks for the responses everyone.

Last edited:

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

-----

Not urgent for you but the Love Chapter (13) is in a nest of specific chapters.
(11) Communion
(12) Gifts
(13) Love
(14) Conduct
(15) Resurrection

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

-----

You are to be commended for your desire to obey Paul.

Even so, Paul didn't mean for us to turn his observations about Love into rules to follow. :)

I think Paul's message about love in this context is meant to highlight the general principle that says, "You can't get sweet water from a bitter well." (James 3:11) The saying suggests that just as a well containing bitter water cannot produce sweet water, similarly, negative or harmful sources cannot yield positive or beneficial results.

In 1 Corinthians 13, Paul compares love to negative emotions such as envy, pride, arrogance, and competitiveness. He asks the reader to consider the type of person who is capable of loving others, and contrasts this with the type of person who exhibits those negative emotions. This comparison speaks to the importance of motive. When a minister or someone speaking in tongues engages in these practices, it's essential to consider what they hope to accomplish or gain from them. What kind of minister is he? Does he produce fresh water or poison?

My pastor once told me a story about a traveling evangelist. He gave a moving speech, and afterward, he asked people to come forward who wanted prayer. While folks were kneeling at the altar, the minister was praying in tongues over each person, one by one. While he was doing this, a little girl, also kneeling at the altar, was talking to her neighbor next to her. The minister shouted at the little girl, "Can you please be quiet?!"

Paul might wonder if this man was truly a minister of God, given his lack of patience. Is the man motivated by a love of people or some other thing?

See what I mean? The only true motive for ministry is both love and truth in equal measure. And Paul wants his readers to know that without love, all forms of Christian ministry are meaningless -- worthless.

Reactions: Nancy

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul is contrasting the transitory with what will endure. Some folks believe that Paul is saying that prophecy itself will cease. I don't think that is what he meant. Rather, the transitory nature of prophecy is the fact that, eventually, prophecies come to pass. Once a particular prophetic message comes to pass, the message has done its work and is no longer relevant. In other words, that particular prophecy has ceased.

The same is true for a message given through the vehicle of tongues. Once the message has been sent and received by those who need to hear it, the message has done its work and is no longer relevant. If someone gives me a word of knowledge, that particular word of knowledge has served it's purpose and will fade into history like an echo in a canyon.

Prophetic messages, tongues, and words of knowledge fade like a photograph, losing intensity, freshness, and significance over time. But Love never fades or becomes insignificant.

"Love will always remain relevant. And why is that important? Because not all of us are prophets, teachers, or ministers. People who are not prophets or knowledge-givers might mistakenly believe that they are not as good or holy as them. But this isn't true. Love is more important and enduring than prophetic messages, tongues or words of knowledge. An average person with a heart filled with love can do more good and have a greater impact than those in the spotlight."

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Paul is contrasting the transitory with what will endure. Some folks believe that Paul is saying that prophecy itself will cease. I don't think that is what he meant. Rather, the transitory nature of prophecy is the fact that, eventually, prophecies come to pass. Once a particular prophetic message comes to pass, the message has done its work and is no longer relevant. In other words, that particular prophecy has ceased.

The same is true for a message given through the vehicle of tongues. Once the message has been sent and received by those who need to hear it, the message has done its work and is no longer relevant. If someone gives me a word of knowledge, that particular word of knowledge has served it's purpose and will fade into history like an echo in a canyon.

Prophetic messages, tongues, and words of knowledge fade like a photograph, losing intensity, freshness, and significance over time. But Love never fades or becomes insignificant.

"Love will always remain relevant. And why is that important? Because not all of us are prophets, teachers, or ministers. People who are not prophets or knowledge-givers might mistakenly believe that they are not as good or holy as them. But this isn't true. Love is more important and enduring than prophetic messages, tongues or words of knowledge. An average person with a heart filled with love can do more good and have a greater impact than those in the spotlight."
Wow!!!!! Thank you for this insight! Very helpful.
And @Randy Kluth or @CadyandZoe or anyone else, what does it mean when it says love always hopes? Thanks!

Reactions: amadeus

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

That is so true and some people in the church who are Christians and in the spotlight still don't know "love" like the way God/Jesus does. It has nothing to do with business, "professionalism" explanations, it's about being in fellowship with one another and helping others by being there with them, even if just a little and because you care, not "robotic" encounters business or professionalism as you might term or word it better and how someone can act that way just shows they don't have enough love in them and they need prayer to at least learn it through the Holy Spirit and God. Just something that I wanted to share.

Last edited:
Reactions: CadyandZoe

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow!!!!! Thank you for this insight! Very helpful.
And @Randy Kluth or @CadyandZoe or anyone else, what does it mean when it says love always hopes? Thanks!
Well, I can't say for sure, but as I reflect on love and hope, I know that there is no guarantee with love. Love is inherently uncertain. We cannot predict or control the outcome despite our hopes and desires. Also, love doesn't promise permanence or predictability. Like life itself, love is a journey filled with twists, turns, and unexpected moments.

Love always hopes because those who love others, faced with uncertainty about the outcome are motivated by an optimistic state of mind that is based on an expectation of a positive outcome, especially if our love for others is motivated by our love for God. Our love for God is our guarantee. (so to speak.)

Does this make sense? Maybe I got this wrong.

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it mean that love does not envy and it does not boast?
For love there is not other nor things.

For love there is no doer doing. As love is self love doesn’t have a self.

For love there are no people as love is being.

No, you have to question your nature and self-discovery until absolutely satisfied.
The Truth can’t be spoken or told.

Prophecies, words and knowledge are all appearance of love. Upon self-realization, as love, it is clear there never were these things.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, I can't say for sure, but as I reflect on love and hope, I know that there is no guarantee with love. Love is inherently uncertain. We cannot predict or control the outcome despite our hopes and desires. Also, love doesn't promise permanence or predictability. Like life itself, love is a journey filled with twists, turns, and unexpected moments.

Love always hopes because those who love others, faced with uncertainty about the outcome are motivated by an optimistic state of mind that is based on an expectation of a positive outcome, especially if our love for others is motivated by our love for God. Our love for God is our guarantee. (so to speak.)

Does this make sense? Maybe I got this wrong.
I guess why it says love always hopes, it means that love always hopes for the best for people but I'm not sure.

Reactions: CadyandZoe

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Actually these answers can be found on the internet if you type the meaning of the verse, lol
So love always hopes means that you never consider others to be a lost cause. edit: you never bring a final judgment to them when they fail at something.
And love always trusts means that you're not always acting suspicious of someone because it's hard to love when you're suspicious of someone but you are a person who gives others second chances even if they've failed in the past.