Do Dogs Have Souls ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please.... insulting each other is not a Christian attitude. Perhaps a little respect for another's views and responding with love will go a long way.

Aspen,<br />
I have a little dog, a cat. I love my little dog very much and his father to. But, I lost Buddy (the daddy) last December. He was a very special dog and my constant companion. It hurt to loose him and I was sadden and miss him very much.&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes, Buddy had a heart, he loved me and was protective of me, but I know he didn&#39;t have a soul because God made man in his likeness(not a monkey!) and gave him dominion over animals. I had a hen who followed me everywhere I went in the yard. She woke me every morning crowing, Honestly! she crowed wanting me to feed her. She would sit by me on the steps and cluck to me when I talked to her. Roberta was special and I was very fond of her. One morning there was no crowing and all we found of her was feathers. I still miss my feathered friend, but I know she had no soul.<br />

I never understood how hard it was to lose a pet until I got my dogs....now I know! I am sorry you lost Buddy and I hope that you wil see him again one day. Pets are such a gift.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.

Define creature -

Oh, I know, it's like the ones in heaven -

6 Before the throne there was a sea of glass, like crystal. And in the midst of the throne, and around the throne, were four living creatures full of eyes in front and in back. 7 The first living creature was like a lion, the second living creature like a calf, the third living creature had a face like a man, and the fourth living creature was like a flying eagle. 8 The four living creatures, each having six wings, were full of eyes around and within. And they do not rest day or night, saying: "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, Who was and is and is to come!" 9 Whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to Him who sits on the throne, who lives forever and ever,

Never mind, I found it in scripture.

Thanks, JLB
They were 'like', it said ? and so they were not as so.
Read verse 9 again it's saying about the creatures in the story is what's it's all about. noting to do with our animals at all.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Going Home by Jon Katz

Going Home
Jon Katz has written many books about animals, both fiction and non fiction. His writing comes from deep within his heart. And I love his writing. GOING HOME is his newest book. Katz delves deeply into a sensitive subject. And he does it as he does all things; with simplicity and love.
Orson, a much beloved but troubled border collie, had to be put down after biting three people one a child. A horrible decision to make. This is how Katz begins his sensitive new book.

I am so grateful for Jon Katz for writing this amazing book. I picked it up last week after hearing of the death of Jon’s beloved dog Rose. After reading about Rose for years, I felt as if I knew her. I certainly knew how Jon felt about her. And I knew immediately that he would be devastated. I actually broke down sobbing at my desk as I read his moving post about Rose.

I can’t tell you how many times customers have approached me asking for a book about dealing with grieving for a pet, both for adults and children. Katz takes both these issues under his wing with a delicate sense of balance. I believe every pet owner should have a copy of GOING HOME in their library. At first, reading it will break your heart, but, you will come through on the other end with a better understanding about death and animals.

Katz bares his soul in this amazing book as he shares unselfishly how and why he has had to put animals down in the past. No easy decision. Ever. But there are times when you have to think of your loving pet, and stop being selfish. When a pet is in pain and their quality of life is suffering, it is time to help them through. Thank God I have not had to do this. But my sweet Maurice is 20 now. He is arthritic, deaf as a stone, and has tummy troubles. But Maurice is mostly good. I pray when it is his time, he goes in his sleep.

Katz has managed to give us pet lovers exactly what we need in this thought provoking and heartrending book.
I fell in love with another boarder collie, Izzy, in the book Izzy and Lenore, written a few years ago. The story of how Izzy became a hospice dog, going with Jon to visit dying patients, touched my heart.

The book is riddled with insightful chapters full of useful information that can be read quickly and easily. One chapter deals specifically on helping children get through the death of a pet and actually preparing for this in a very special way.
I loved hearing Jon’s plan for preparation. He recommends planning a day with your pet doing all the special things they love. Little did he know as he wrote this lovely book that he would be dealing with the death of his sweet Rose soon.
This book is a must if you are a pet owner. Oddly, it is uplifting even as it is sad.

Jon Katz lives on Bedlam Farm with his wife Maria and their menagerie of dogs, cats, chickens, donkey’s and various other animals. You can follow Jon at http://www.bedlamfarm.com

Article from "Maurice on Books"

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
Going Home by Jon Katz

Going Home
Jon Katz has written many books about animals, both fiction and non fiction. His writing comes from deep within his heart. And I love his writing. GOING HOME is his newest book. Katz delves deeply into a sensitive subject. And he does it as he does all things; with simplicity and love.
Orson, a much beloved but troubled border collie, had to be put down after biting three people one a child. A horrible decision to make. This is how Katz begins his sensitive new book.

I am so grateful for Jon Katz for writing this amazing book. I picked it up last week after hearing of the death of Jon’s beloved dog Rose. After reading about Rose for years, I felt as if I knew her. I certainly knew how Jon felt about her. And I knew immediately that he would be devastated. I actually broke down sobbing at my desk as I read his moving post about Rose.

I can’t tell you how many times customers have approached me asking for a book about dealing with grieving for a pet, both for adults and children. Katz takes both these issues under his wing with a delicate sense of balance. I believe every pet owner should have a copy of GOING HOME in their library. At first, reading it will break your heart, but, you will come through on the other end with a better understanding about death and animals.

Katz bares his soul in this amazing book as he shares unselfishly how and why he has had to put animals down in the past. No easy decision. Ever. But there are times when you have to think of your loving pet, and stop being selfish. When a pet is in pain and their quality of life is suffering, it is time to help them through. Thank God I have not had to do this. But my sweet Maurice is 20 now. He is arthritic, deaf as a stone, and has tummy troubles. But Maurice is mostly good. I pray when it is his time, he goes in his sleep.

Katz has managed to give us pet lovers exactly what we need in this thought provoking and heartrending book.
I fell in love with another boarder collie, Izzy, in the book Izzy and Lenore, written a few years ago. The story of how Izzy became a hospice dog, going with Jon to visit dying patients, touched my heart.

The book is riddled with insightful chapters full of useful information that can be read quickly and easily. One chapter deals specifically on helping children get through the death of a pet and actually preparing for this in a very special way.
I loved hearing Jon’s plan for preparation. He recommends planning a day with your pet doing all the special things they love. Little did he know as he wrote this lovely book that he would be dealing with the death of his sweet Rose soon.
This book is a must if you are a pet owner. Oddly, it is uplifting even as it is sad.

Jon Katz lives on Bedlam Farm with his wife Maria and their menagerie of dogs, cats, chickens, donkey’s and various other animals. You can follow Jon at http://www.bedlamfarm.com

Article from "Maurice on Books"

Thank you...it sounds like a good read !!!

kay-gee

Oct 23, 2009
I think of it this way. Let's suppose for a moment that yes, animals go to heaven.

Now, my question is this...is that just the cute and cuddly ones or does that apply to ALL animals? Why should a rattlesnake not go to heaven? After all it only lives in the flesh according to its God given instinct as does a dog or cat.

Something to ponder.

all the best...!

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Thank you...it sounds like a good read !!!

-- I have only had the strength to read part of it.
A very dear friend's dog of 14 years - yes, 14 years - was sick and deteriorating and she scheduled to have her put down in a couple of days.

I had heard of this book so I went and got it for her. I read parts of it in Barnes & Noble but had to quit. I was tearing up and becoming overwhelmed there in the store.

She read it (and reread parts) in the days after she put her dog down. She has told me several times what a great comfort that book was for her.

I bought another copy for myself and have it on my bookshelf.

My dog - my very best friend of ten-plus years - had a very serious health scare about two months ago and we almost lost him. I literally thought I would be leaving the vetenary clinic that day with only half my heart.

I hope it is a very long time before I have to take that book down off the shelf.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
-- I have only had the strength to read part of it.
A very dear friend's dog of 14 years - yes, 14 years - was sick and deteriorating and she scheduled to have her put down in a couple of days.

I had heard of this book so I went and got it for her. I read parts of it in Barnes & Noble but had to quit. I was tearing up and becoming overwhelmed there in the store.

She read it (and reread parts) in the days after she put her dog down. She has told me several times what a great comfort that book was for her.

I bought another copy for myself and have it on my bookshelf.

My dog - my very best friend of ten-plus years - had a very serious health scare about two months ago and we almost lost him. I literally thought I would be leaving the vetenary clinic that day with only half my heart.

I hope it is a very long time before I have to take that book down off the shelf.

I pray that God will comfort your friend in the days and months ahead and may He keep your precious dog in the best of health for a very, very long time.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
I think of it this way. Let's suppose for a moment that yes, animals go to heaven.

Now, my question is this...is that just the cute and cuddly ones or does that apply to ALL animals? Why should a rattlesnake not go to heaven? After all it only lives in the flesh according to its God given instinct as does a dog or cat.

Something to ponder.

all the best...!
Rattlesnakes go to, don't you know, as does the Devil ?

I must have to go back to all the places i have lived and remember were we buried all the dogs cats horses cows etc and put a Cross above them.
Why because Jesus Christ came to save us people and that is why his name was called Emmanuel (God with us) this is what he is to us.
As no Dog came to save them as they do not need saving, now do they, as they can't be saved and if you think so then all must be saved.
Only the saved go and it's Jesus who gives the OK. no one other can say so, can they !

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
There is not a single human being on the planet hat has the slightest clue about what goes on in the brain or heart of an Animal and it is foolishness to claim otherwise,it might also be worth mentioning that the reason so many people turn to Animals for comfort is the fact that people can make such lousy husbands,wives,mothers,fathers,friends,siblings,ect,ect that Animals seem pristine by comparison......their popularity is more of a reflection on us and our failures in the various roles we play in each others lives than it is on them.

grandma dolittle

May 23, 2012
Missouri

Something to ponder.

all the best...!

Good thought. Will ticks, fleas, misquitoes, fire ants, etc. also be in heaven? They are all God's creatures and act according to how God programmed them to act.

acebopata

May 19, 2012
On God's blue marble, Earth.
I think Red wasp and fleas are cute. But that's just my opinion.

I can just imagain it, walking on the streats of gold, talking to the cat at my side, and the wasp on my solder humming a tune of worship to the Lord.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
It's easy to tell the animal lovers from the non-animal lovers...compassion

It's also easy to tell the self rightous and self appointed judges of compassion,those who claim the right to define what it is and is not....by their own standards of course....i am an Animal lover by the way and have turned to them many times when people failed me.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I pray that God will comfort your friend in the days and months ahead and may He keep your precious dog in the best of health for a very, very long time.

-- From the bottom of my heart, thank you, HollyRock.
I truly appreciate it. I mean that.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
There is not a single human being on the planet hat has the slightest clue about what goes on in the brain or heart of an Animal and it is foolishness to claim otherwise,it might also be worth mentioning that the reason so many people turn to Animals for comfort is the fact that people can make such lousy husbands,wives,mothers,fathers,friends,siblings,ect,ect that Animals seem pristine by comparison......their popularity is more of a reflection on us and our failures in the various roles we play in each others lives than it is on them.
People weak in Christ seem to be more content with pets as some are looking up to them as equal to a family member.
It's pathetic to put old Fritz the dog on the same position as a loved person.
I killed one of our dogs and it was the best dog we ever had and yes i was upset about it, but it was not a person. i was towing a trailer and our other dog pushed the other dog into the trailer as i was taking off and that was it dead on the spot in a instant. most of the others killed by snakes and another one nothing could kill it. got it for 50c run over by more then 10 cars and had to pull about 50 ticks of it every week.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Rosey, if you were Native American, your name would be "Buzz Kill."

There are a couple of things you need to realize:

1. Just beause you have never had a heartfelt loving relationship with a dog that has changed your life, that doesn't mean that others haven't.

2. Just because someone has a deep heartfelt relationship with dog to the point where they feel like a member of the family, that doesn't mean they are doing something wrong or that YOU should criticize it.

3. If you have never experienced it then you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how it has impaced others who HAVE. Hence, you can't speak from insight or experience.

Give it a rest, huh?

Please give it a rest.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Rosey, if you were Native American, your name would be "Buzz Kill."

There are a couple of things you need to realize:

1. Just beause you have never had a heartfelt loving relationship with a dog that has changed your life, that doesn't mean that others haven't.

2. Just because someone has a deep heartfelt relationship with dog to the point where they feel like a member of the family, that doesn't mean they are doing something wrong or that YOU should criticize it.

3. If you have never experienced it then you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how it has impaced others who HAVE. Hence, you can't speak from insight or experience.

Give it a rest, huh?

Please give it a rest.
Fact is Dogs don't go to heaven. got it ! they do not and the fact is one should not let people believe such nonsense.

We have idiots in aus that go to extreme lengths with pampering their dogs and it's sickening to see such rubbish as they are putting a dog in the same category as a human if not more so. and when talking to some of them they are creepy self centered looneys.

And i can speak from experience with a love for ones pets.

You are trying to push more bull again mate, give it a rest. as the Christian God is not the flying spaghetti monster, some try to make out. and most poor clowns believe it to be something like that.