Do "good", non-Christians, go to Heaven to be with God when they die or do they remain in the grave awaiting the resurrection?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Condemned to what, the grave or to Hell? And if they're sent to Hell, are they then resurrected for the Great White Throne judgment only to be returned to Hell?

Does that make sense?
Good morning Patrick.
There are some parables that might help you in your very good labors here.
What do you think of the parable that ends this way:
make friends for yourselves by means of the wealth of unrighteousness, so that when it is all gone, they will receive you into the eternal dwellings.
Who is the “they” and who are ”they” welcoming into eternal habitations? Why would the man be “commended“ as it says for what appears to amount to stealing from his wealthy employer to help those who couldn’t repay what they owed? And how would those ones that he helped have eternal dwellings to welcome him into? Do you see any relation between this parable and the following passages?

The one who receives you receives Me, and the one who receives Me receives Him who sent Me. 41 The one who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet’s reward; and the one who receives a righteous person in the name of a righteous person shall receive a righteous person’s reward. 42 And whoever gives one of these little ones just a cup of cold water to drink in the name of a disciple, truly I say to you, he shall by no means lose his reward.”

37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing?39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’

Last edited:

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have shocked me very much with your question…! How have you escaped the indoctrination? Do you not go to a church? What makes you think “good“ nonChristians are not cast into fire as the indoctrination teaches? You’ve blown my mind a bit here brother! It’s like I’ve run across a very rare and almost extinct animal. :)
Its 1 am here and I’m fading, but I will come back tomorrow to read and maybe talk with you.

Jesus said that whoever believes will never die. So, the obvious answer is that faithful Christians immediately go to Heaven upon their physical deaths. There is a mistaken belief among many Christians that they are "dead in a grave" awaiting the resurrection. Their bodies are indeed dead but their consciousness (spirit) NEVER dies and goes to Heaven.

Biblethumper

Feb 19, 2023
Delran
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When a believer dies his spirit will be in the lord’s presence until the Rapture to receive his glorified body. An unbeliever’s spirit goes to a place called Hades which is a temporary holding place of torment, a temporary hell if you will. They will be there until the white throne judgement at the end of the millennium where they will be judged for their sins. There are different levels of torment for them according to how sinful they were and then thrown into the lake of fire forever. Just as the saved are judged for rewards according to their good deeds on earth which those are rewarded with crowns and positions of importance in the millennium

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where in scripture does it say that?

Many verses. Here's one.

2 Samuel 14:14, ESV: We must all die; we are like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be gathered up again. But God will not take away life, and he devises means so that the banished one will not remain an outcast.

Biblethumper

Feb 19, 2023
Delran
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Attachments

• 1DAC1AAC-6115-4482-8013-F2607AB81A9D.jpeg
    1DAC1AAC-6115-4482-8013-F2607AB81A9D.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 1
  • B938CBF1-245C-43C4-84DA-AFD68169B356.png
    B938CBF1-245C-43C4-84DA-AFD68169B356.png
    531.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 5A010A22-FF2E-4445-A3D9-5B4924C41047.jpeg
    5A010A22-FF2E-4445-A3D9-5B4924C41047.jpeg
    500 KB · Views: 0
  • 87479232-DEA4-4816-AD2B-BE051E5C7840.jpeg
    87479232-DEA4-4816-AD2B-BE051E5C7840.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 7EF8EEDC-5F5A-437A-8EEC-B6E0DF9893D7.jpeg
    7EF8EEDC-5F5A-437A-8EEC-B6E0DF9893D7.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 1

MissKate13

Mar 12, 2023
Sevierville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do "good", non-Christians, go to Heaven to be with God when they die or do they remain in the grave awaiting the resurrection?
Non Christians do not go to heaven according to Scripture. They go to Tartarus while they await the final judgement. Followers of Jesus, those who do what He says go to Paradise where they will await final judgement.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You must have a different bible

Most English translations are erroneous. Some people are indeed damned, but only for a period of time or perhaps for an "age".

Here is an example of an erroneous translation followed by the correct translation.

Mathew 25:46 ESV
And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

Mathew 25:46 YLT
And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You must have a different bible

This is just one of many verses that demonstrates that ALL mankind will be with God in the end.

1 Timothy 4:10 esv
For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
there no none righteous. No not one. For all have sinned and fall short.

There are no “good people” christIan or non christian.

He who believes is not condemned’’he who does not believe is condemned already

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christian or non-Christian, everyone waits in the grave till the resurrection...
John 11:24
Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 3- there are none righteous. good as we describe is a subjective relative term we use. but good to God is something no man can attain in the flesh. All are lost until one accepts the death and physical resurrection of Jesus for their sin.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christian or non-Christian, everyone waits in the grave till the resurrection...
Only physical bodies or what's left (dust) are in the graves, not a person's soul.
Christians go directly to heaven: "To be absent the body is to be present with the Lord." Stephen was stoned to death a d he said "Lord receive my spirit". Right now, not in two thousand years.
Jesus said to the criminal next to Him on the cross _ who repented _ " Today you will be in Paradise". Moses and Elijah appeared on the Mount of Transfiguration - where do you think they came from ... and went back to?
We HAVE ETERNAL LIFE NOW. We are " in Christ" now. What do you think, we exit Christ and then come back at a later time?
Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day
Yes, bodies will be resurrected and joined with their spirits.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Condemned to what, the grave or to Hell? And if they're sent to Hell, are they then resurrected for the Great White Throne judgment only to be returned to Hell?

Does that make sense?
Maybe you have the answer by now, but if not, here it is. Hades is not the Lake of Fire ( Hell). Hades and Death itself will be thrown into the Lake of Fire and destroyed at the Great White Throne Judgment. 2 Peter 3:10 describes the same event. If Hades is thrown into the Lake of Fire (which should be viewed as Hell) they can't be the same place.