Do "good", non-Christians, go to Heaven to be with God when they die or do they remain in the grave awaiting the resurrection?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Condemned to what, the grave or to Hell? And if they're sent to Hell, are they then resurrected for the Great White Throne judgment only to be returned to Hell?

Does that make sense?
Hell obviously.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, that was a parable.

I believe the ungodly are in the grave, aware of nothing and where they will remain until resurrection, when they will be judged.
Who told you that? It's totally literal.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Condemned to what, the grave or to Hell? And if they're sent to Hell, are they then resurrected for the Great White Throne judgment only to be returned to Hell?

Does that make sense?
Condemned is pronounced, sentenced at the great white throne judgement. It makes perfect sense. Both the wicked dead and the righteous dead are resurrected. Dead meaning they physically died.

And they dont go from hell to hell, they go from hell to the lake of fire at the final judgement

First comes the resurrection, then the final eternal judgement by God of them.
Hebrews 6:2
of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Acts 24:15
I have hope in God, which they themselves also accept, that there will be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and the unjust.

Acts 24:21
unless it is for this one statement which I cried out, standing among them, ‘Concerning the resurrection of the dead I am being judged by you this day.’ ”

John 11:25
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.

John 5:28-30

28 Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice 29 and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. 30 I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me.

A resurrection means to be put back into a living body, so their spirit is given a new body. Graves means they had died.

To come forth, means they are walking around in a resurrected body.

Last edited:

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People who do not believe in Christ fail to bear good fruit to GOD.
If you do not bear good fruit, you will be cast away from Him and perish in the fire.

They might seem to bear good fruit to men by doing good works, but that is not helping them. If you do not gather with Christ, then you scatter.

The work of GOD is that you believe in HIM whom HE has sent.
So when yo do not believe, well there was no good fruit of the SPIRIT of God in your life.

John 6:28 Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”
John 6:29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
  1. Matthew 3:10
    And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
  2. Matthew 7:17
    Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.
  3. Matthew 7:18
    A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit.
  4. Matthew 7:19
    Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
  5. Matthew 13:23
    But he who received seed on the good ground is he who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and produces: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.”
  6. Mark 4:20
    But these are the ones sown on good ground, those who hear the word, accept it, and bear fruit: some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some a hundred.”
  7. Luke 3:9
    And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.”
  8. Luke 6:43

A Tree Is Known by Its Fruit

“For a good tree does not bear bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit.
  9. Luke 8:15
    But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience.
  10. John 15:4
    Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruitof itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
  11. John 15:5
    “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.
  12. John 15:8
    By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.
  13. John 15:16
    You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.
Great post!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do "good", non-Christians, go to Heaven to be with God when they die or do they remain in the grave awaiting the resurrection?
I must argue with your premise. No one is good (Mark 10:18).

I think people who obey the two great commandments (Matthew 22:34-40) have nothing to worry about, either in this world or the world to come.

Reactions: Patrick1966

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I must argue with your premise. No one is good (Mark 10:18).

I think people who obey the two great commandments (Matthew 22:34-40) have nothing to worry about, either in this world or the world to come.
Yes, I understand. That's why I used quotation marks around "good". What I meant was people who, while still sinful, believe in and try to follow God's commandments as opposed to people who willfully live in their sin with no regrets, aka "bad" people. :)

Reactions: Bob Estey

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At the end of life today - I believe all people are judged with their resurrected body at death. According to John the beloved, the Heavenly Kingdom, consist of 2 parts - the inside of the gates; outside of the gates. Which symbolizes the difference between those whom had faith and desired to be with God; and those who did not want anything to do with God are unfaithful and they are on the outside of the kingdom. The gates of the kingdom never close, and the Spirit calls out, and maybe as people in Gods Kingdom, we can go and help those outside.

I don't know but it's a better view - with Jesus having victory over; hell, satan, false prophet, beast, hades, and sin. That is what I have in my view is the victory over all things now today already; done by Jesus Christ.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's like Jesus showed in Luke 16 about the story of Lazarus and the rich man. All go to Paradise when they die, either to one side or the other. In Romans 8, Paul said there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus that walk after The Spirit.

But those who go to the side in Paradise where the rich man was, in hell, a holding place for the unsaved, they still are not destroyed yet. They will stand in judgment throughout Christ's future "thousand years" reign with His elect.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Haven't read all the posts but the answer is no!

Jesus did not give a plan B for those who do not hear teh gospel.

As for being good- none are good enough before God to be saved. Goodness or baqdness are not the issue, whether one has trusted Jesus is the only issue that matters.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No "non-Christians" go to heaven. "Christian", meaning "Christ followers." Only those whom Christ has chosen (Israel) and those who choose Christ (of the other nations), follow Him (into heaven).

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ecc_3:20 All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.
That is strictly a reference to the human body, which eventually becomes dust. That has nothing to say about the soul and spirit. So why did you even post it?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is it possible that Godly people who lived before Jesus's sacrifice were indeed "asleep" but were then sent to Heaven afterward?
As we know from the words of Christ, no one sleeps in Hades. And Jesus did take all the OT saints to Heaven after His resurrection, where they all are very much AWAKE AND ALIVE.

Reactions: Davy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
You don't believe the unrighteous and righteous go to Hades and sleep in death until the resurrection, so be it.
"buried with Him in death, raised to new life in Him" but you really dint respond to the post Barn :)
used to that tho narf
although i sincerely hope Death, More Abundantly works out for you
cuz then it might for me too!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
As we know from the words of Christ, no one sleeps in Hades. And Jesus did take all the OT saints to Heaven after His resurrection, where they all are very much AWAKE AND ALIVE.
ha you cult of sol guys lol
you might splain why Jesus said "life, more abundantly" and "No one has ever gone up to heaven" then

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The first person to be resurrected and go into heaven was Jesus Christ. Then those who died faithful to Jesus are resurrected and go to heaven during the second presence of Jesus Christ. This would include Jesus apostles and disciples.