Do Men Have Authority Over Women?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If all men loved their wives as Christ loved the Church planet Earth would be a better place.

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride!"

Why do you attack the men sir?

Why assume men are the issue first?

“And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.” (1 Timothy 2:14)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you attack the men sir?
Attack? I was simply bringing things into balance with the words of another scripture. Consider where God is in it:

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Gal 3:28

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 2:18

18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”

Who is also called Helper?

John 14:26
26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

Also again in verse 26 in John 15

26 “But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me.

Both man and woman were created in God's image, they were created in the image of the Holy Trinity. Just because wives are to submit to husbands, doesn't make them any less, and just because man is the head of woman doesn't make the woman any less, just like the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are all equal, man and woman are also equal.

The Church of Christ is the bride of Christ, and whether male or female Christian believers we are all still the bride or Christ.
I had never made that connection in Genesis. Thank you!

In Ephesians 5:25, St. Paul exhorts men to love their wives “even as Christ loved the church.” So what does that mean? Paul said that Christ endured his crucifixion to sanctify the Church, his Bride, so that he may present her “without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.” Through this saving act of agape, Christ, acting according to the will of the Father, took up his cross for our sake, and set the example for the type of self-sacrificing love that husbands are called to have for their wives. The head of every man is Christ. The head of a woman is her husband, and the head of Christ is God" (1 Cor. 11:3). For a husband to be truly head of his family he must himself be submitted to Jesus Christ.

Reactions: Illuminator

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
To put it simply, if you follow Scripture, yes.

Wives are to submit to husbands.
Women are not to have authority over men in the church.
Women are to remain quiet in the church (yes that means women pastors is wholly against Scripture).

Reformed,

I follow Scripture and it says that:
  • On the Day of Pentecost, “‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.
    Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy" (Acts 2:17-18 NIV)
  • The ministry of prophecy is for both men and women. This is also affirmed in 1 Cor 11:5 (NIV). "But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved," This is a verse with some challenges in interpretation. A woman can't pray or prophesy without opening her mouth.
Oz

Reactions: Lambano

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reformed,

I follow Scripture and it says that:
  • On the Day of Pentecost, “‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.
    Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy" (Acts 2:17-18 NIV)
  • The ministry of prophecy is for both men and women. This is also affirmed in 1 Cor 11:5 (NIV). "But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved," This is a verse with some challenges in interpretation. A woman can't pray or prophesy without opening her mouth.
Oz
So what do you think that means?

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Paul prohibited women teaching men

reformed,

Paul does not prohibit women in ministry in 1 Cor 14:26: "What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up" (NIV).

It does not say "each of you except women has . . . a word of instruction"!

Oz

Reactions: Josho and Lambano

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Women are to remain quiet in the church (yes that means women pastors is wholly against Scripture).

But what you need to do is see TO WHO those commands were given, and under what circumstances (Clue: Diana Artemis worship was matriarchal and the WOMEN, since they believed the Eve was created FIRST, and had the authority over Adam, and the Spiritual horsepower to boot). So naturally Paul didn't want the gentile church with these generational social beliefs tainted by the inclusion of pagan but socially acceptable doctrines.

You don't find female Muzzling in the Jerusalem Church - it's all in the Gentile churches that were Paul's wheelhouse.

Obviously Paul wasn't completely succesful, since we've got Pagan inclusion in Catholicism - Mariology, Purgatorial Sanctification, Salvation by Works, etc.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I remember watching this guy on YouTube go into a shopping mall and ask women if they submit to their husbands. Almost all of them said no and most of them with a condensending tone. That is the general attitude of most modern women, even some Christian ones.

Half of marriages end up in divorce and most of them of petty little stuff like what to eat or the arrangement of the house.

When my parents build their house my mum wanted the kitchen one way and my dad wanted it the other. They disagreed but in the end a decision had to be made and my dad made it. My mum resented it for years until they renovated it according to her wishes.

In a modern relationship that would be enough to divorce these days. You go to a marriage counsellor and they advocate for divorce straight away if your not happy instead of working through the issue.

But feminism is like the snake on the garden of Eden tempting woman to go against man

Last edited:
Reactions: Michiah-Imla

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do Men Have Authority Over Women?
OP ^

Vague, incomplete.
All men and women are individuals.

What men?
What women?

Order and Way...

Follow the Order and Way It IS ALWAYS the Lord God Almighty First.

The Order and Way...pertaining to PEOPLE, is solely dependent on
Man, Woman, Child..........WHO ‘IF” they ARE following according to God First.

Man, who REJECTS Gods WAY, fails establishing his household according to God, then abuses, abandons, neglects providing, etc. for his WIFE.....
The WIFE...should ALSO reject God and yield to the Authority of the man? Eh, no.

Glory to God,
Taken

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It does not say "each of you except women has . . . a word of instruction"!

It doesn’t have to.

If you’ve been paying attention to biblical doctrine you would know that women are excluded from that scripture you referenced.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That is not ALL women being in submission to ALL men.

I have no AUTHORITY over YOUR wife … she is to be under the authority of her husband.
It is a specific call for order and responsibility over what God has made us responsible for (the man over his household and the shepherd over God’s flock).

Reactions: marks and RLT63

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

These days you first have to define what a woman is and we have a Supreme Court judge who can't do it

Reactions: marks

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ohhh Cristo, be careful, be careful, be careful!

I find it all very funny. I am not a fundamentalist. The Bible accounts for about the first 65 years of Christianity, and God has been very active in Christianity for over 2000 years now. LOL Bible only means their beliefs are static and they believe that the Holy Spirit had nothing else to teach Christianity, that nothing would change. So the fundamentalists can rule over their wives and own slaves. And why not, in the biblical era Christian women were still being treated as property. You are not going to read a story of a woman dating in the Bible or having a choice of who her husband would be. No male or female in Christ? Someone did not get that memo?

I have no desire to rule over anyone, much less someone I love.

Reactions: Lambano

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ohhh Cristo, be careful, be careful, be careful!

Shhh between you and I, im not blaming women or calling them evil. I love them. It's the feminist movement that's the problem. Trying to distort Gods truth.

Iv seen what it does first hand to women like my sister. She was a good Christian girl when she finished high school. By the time university was done she had turned into a feminist who was challenging our parents on lgbt issues at the dinner table and calling us evil for not agreeing with her twisted ideology. It's was abhorrent to us to be hearing such perversion from her.

And try finding a woman to settle down with these days. I won't even go there.

So I make no apologies for my opinions. Feminism is poison. It seeks to turn women against men. It seeks to pull women away from their children. It seeks to destroy family. It seeks to degrade men. It turns women into lesbians and men. It creates masculine women and feminine men.

The feminist movement is evil.

Last edited: