Do We as Christians Keep the Mosaic Law?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
0bed said:
No way have the Ten Commandments been abolished.
The old Covenant was based on the Ten Commandments with you just acknowledged has been abolished. So if the Covenant was abolished and became obsolete then obviously whatever the Covenant was based on was abolished and became obsolete. If God writes his laws on our hearts why are the Ten Commandments still relative when there many more things that God writes on our hearts Than Just the Ten Commandments? You don't seem to be able to make up your mind on which side of the issue you're on here. That's called vacillating and you need to stop doing that.

0bed

Feb 21, 2010
StanJ said:
The Jews were God's chosen people with whom we made a covenant, they weren't the only people in the world that worship Him. Moses his father-in-law Jethro worship God and he was not a Jew. Moses did not marry a Jew. I think you need to get your facts straight before making these kind of assertions.
What they did wrong is irrelevant. What is relevant is that they were God's chosen people. Even today Christians do many things that would be considered just as bad as what the ancient Israelites did. Abraham was about to sacrifice Isaac based on God's command. If you can't accept that or don't understand the rationale that's your problem not God's.
Was there a point somewhere in that? All you seem to be doing is pointing out negative things that men did and that's a given that made it negative in simple things. What point are you trying to make?
Well I for one believe we don't and are not supposed to keep the Mosaic law as I've already stated in this thread but you seem to want to strive about words instead of dealing with the concept of the OP?
The Yhwh cult
Moses married Zipporah who was the daughter of a Midianite priest (Exo 2:16-22V). She was not a Jew as you say. They worshipped YAHWEH and not the I AM. It was the same with the Kenites with whom another tradition connects Moses, seem to have been worshippers of Yahweh. The tribes of this region probably belonged to some branch of the great Arab stock, and the name Yahweh has, accordingly, been connected with the Arabic hawa, " the void " (between heaven and earth), " the atmosphere," or with the verb hawa, cognate with Heb. hawah, " sink, glide down " (through space); hawwa " blow " (wind). " He rides through the air, He blows " (Wellhausen), would be a fit name for a god of wind and storm. There is, however, no certain evidence that the Israelites in historical times had any consciousness of the primitive significance of the name. (Source Encyclopaedia Britannica with scriptures.)

Genesis 4:16 tells us that Cain went out from the presence of the LORD ( meaning they were pagans), and dwelt in the land of Nod. This was the Kenite tribe on the east of Eden, see the Jewish Encyclopaedia. They also worshipped the pagan god Yahwah, hence the change from the I AM to Yahweh. This is who Moses and the Jews came to worship.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/3904-cain

Baal and YHWH.
Whatever facts can be gathered from the original accounts of that time in regard to this Yhwh cult at the old Canaanite sanctuaries, which was perhaps also influenced by the ritual of the Canaanites themselves, are confirmed by the accounts referring to several of these places of worship.

http://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/9052-judges-period-of

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
0bed said:
The Yhwh cult
Moses married Zipporah who was the daughter of a Midianite priest (Exo 2:16-22V). She was not a Jew as you say. They worshipped YAHWEH and not the I AM. It was the same with the Kenites with whom another tradition connects Moses, seem to have been worshippers of Yahweh. The tribes of this region probably belonged to some branch of the great Arab stock, and the name Yahweh has, accordingly, been connected with the Arabic hawa, " the void " (between heaven and earth), " the atmosphere," or with the verb hawa, cognate with Heb. hawah, " sink, glide down " (through space); hawwa " blow " (wind). " He rides through the air, He blows " (Wellhausen), would be a fit name for a god of wind and storm. There is, however, no certain evidence that the Israelites in historical times had any consciousness of the primitive significance of the name. (Source Encyclopaedia Britannica with scriptures.)
Genesis 4:16 tells us that Cain went out from the presence of the LORD ( meaning they were pagans), and dwelt in the land of Nod. This was the Kenite tribe on the east of Eden, see the Jewish Encyclopaedia. They also worshipped the pagan god Yahwah, hence the change from the I AM to Yahweh. This is who Moses and the Jews came to worship.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/3904-cain

Baal and YHWH.
Whatever facts can be gathered from the original accounts of that time in regard to this Yhwh cult at the old Canaanite sanctuaries, which was perhaps also influenced by the ritual of the Canaanites themselves, are confirmed by the accounts referring to several of these places of worship.

http://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/9052-judges-period-of
I can quote websites too, but it doesn't mean anything if you don't make a point.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No way have the Ten Commandments been abolished
The Law will stand forever, in that you are right,but the law being Holy will kill all whom touch it for we are carnal by nature. For those whom insist on the law, like the man who touched the arc to steady it , will die, for we are unworthy of teh Law, only Christ was ever found worthy. For it is only by His grace by faith that we can be saved, for that covers in His righteousness, we have none of our own.

As for the law, to keep it is to break it, for to keep the law is to commit adultry, we we have being promised to Christ, to keep the law is to be with another mans husband,which by the law is death.

Rom 7:1 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?
Rom 7:2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
Rom 7:3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.
Rom 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

So choose wisely is it death or life??

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
The Law will stand forever, in that you are right,but the law being Holy will kill all whom touch it for we are carnal by nature. For those whom insist on the law, like the man who touched the arc to steady it , will die, for we are unworthy of teh Law, only Christ was ever found worthy. For it is only by His grace by faith that we can be saved, for that covers in His righteousness, we have none of our own.

As for the law, to keep it is to break it, for to keep the law is to commit adultry, we we have being promised to Christ, to keep the law is to be with another mans husband,which by the law is death.

Rom 7:1 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?
Rom 7:2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
Rom 7:3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.
Rom 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

So choose wisely is it death or life??
Yea... Look 2 cor 3 clearly says the 10 commandments have been abolished mjrhealth.

Open an shut case. Case closed... Except fpr those who refuse to believe what the Bible says.

0bed

Feb 21, 2010
StanJ said:
I can quote websites too, but it doesn't mean anything if you don't make a point.
The point is quite simple. The I AM (Jesus) brought the Israelites out of Egypt and continued with them every step of the way, guiding and protecting and giving Moses the Ten Commandments. Despite this, the Israelites turned to local Canaanite gods, the Golden Calf is an example of this, even saying these are the Gods that brought them out of Egypt. During their apostasy, which continues to this day, for still the Jews reject Jesus, they codified the 613 Mitzvot Laws which they zealously follow even into the present day. This law condemns all those who seek to live by them, while the The Ten Commandments that the I AM taught and revived under the New Covenant and that sets us free from the law, have fallen by the wayside except for those who have accepted the Lord Jesus Christ into their hearts and lives and whose teaching is written on their hearts. The law that is ended of which Jesus spoke is not his own law, but is the law of the apostate Jews.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
0bed said:
The point is quite simple. The I AM (Jesus) brought the Israelites out of Egypt and continued with them every step of the way, guiding and protecting and giving Moses the Ten Commandments. Despite this, the Israelites turned to local Canaanite gods, the Golden Calf is an example of this, even saying these are the Gods that brought them out of Egypt. During their apostasy, which continues to this day, for still the Jews reject Jesus, they codified the 613 Mitzvot Laws which they zealously follow even into the present day. This law condemns all those who seek to live by them, while the The Ten Commandments that the I AM taught and revived under the New Covenant and that sets us free from the law, have fallen by the wayside except for those who have accepted the Lord Jesus Christ into their hearts and lives and whose teaching is written on their hearts. The law that is ended of which Jesus spoke is not his own law, but is the law of the apostate Jews.
Well there are a two things wrong with this...
First, Jesus didn't lead anybody out of Israel, and
Second, the Jews of his day and today couldn't be apostate because they never believed in Jesus in the first place.

0bed

Feb 21, 2010
StanJ said:
Well there are a two things wrong with this...
First, Jesus didn't lead anybody out of Israel, and
Second, the Jews of his day and today couldn't be apostate because they never believed in Jesus in the first place.
I thought you believed Jesus was God incarnate?

The Jews believed in God.

0bed

Feb 21, 2010
StanJ said:
I do, why would you think different? I know exactly what the Jews believed in the Old Testament.
StanJ said:
I do, why would you think different? I know exactly what the Jews believed in the Old Testament.
You said, "Jesus didn't lead anybody out of Israel." I assume you mean Egypt. Yet you say you believe Jesus is God incarnate. Seeing as there is only one God how can you say Jesus did not lead the Israelites out of Egypt?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
FHII said:
Yea... Look 2 cor 3 clearly says the 10 commandments have been abolished mjrhealth.

Open an shut case. Case closed... Except fpr those who refuse to believe what the Bible says.
For One it was not abolished for us gentiles for it was never given to us ever, not even in the first instance, how can something that was never given to you be taken from you,?? it was to the Jews and them only. Please get your fact right and read my posts if you need to respond.

Secondly

Mat_5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Luk_16:17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

Not everything has being fulfilled for us,"death where is your sting". that is the final end, when there is no death.

In case you didnt notice I agree we are not under the law, the Law is death to all who keep it, Grace is life to all who choose it.

God bless

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
FHII said:

For One it was not abolished for us gentiles for it was never given to us ever, not even in the first instance, how can something that was never given to you be taken from you,?? it was to the Jews and them only. Please get your fact right and read my posts if you need to respond.

Secondly

Mat_5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Luk_16:17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

Not everything has being fulfilled for us,"death where is your sting". that is the final end, when there is no death.

In case you didnt notice I agree we are not under the law, the Law is death to all who keep it, Grace is life to all who choose it.

God bless

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You said, "Jesus didn't lead anybody out of Israel." I assume you mean Egypt
He didnt God did, Jesus was still yet a part of God, He was not yet born, still the voice of His father. One day when you ask you might understand.

0bed

Feb 21, 2010
mjrhealth said:
He didnt God did, Jesus was still yet a part of God, He was not yet born, still the voice of His father. One day when you ask you might understand.
Jesus was God made flesh (John 1:14).
Where was God when the Israelites escaped Egypt?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
0bed said:
Jesus was God made flesh (John 1:14).
Where was God when the Israelites escaped Egypt?
You really should read.

Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh.

not God but His word, how do you think Mary got pregnant. God speaks life happens.Of course Jesus can say "before Abraham was I am", because He is Gods word and was always with God, it is by His word that life came . How can Jesus be at the right hand of God if He is God, unless God is beside Himself with frustration with christains leaning on there own understanding and not asking Him how things are.

Heb_10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

0bed

Feb 21, 2010
mjrhealth said:
You really should read.

Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh.

not God but His word, how do you think Mary got pregnant. God speaks life happens.Of course Jesus can say "before Abraham was I am", because He is Gods word and was always with God, it is by His word that life came . How can Jesus be at the right hand of God if He is God, unless God is beside Himself with frustration with christains leaning on there own understanding and not asking Him how things are.

Heb_10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
Jesus is the Word made flesh. Who was the Word in the beginning?
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:1 KJV

Hebrews 10:12 tells us the Word (God) became man (flesh)

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hebrews 10:12 tells us the Word (God) became man (flesh)
How the simple things of God confuse so many. You know your words can bring peace to a person and also condemn, They are your words they dont end when they are spoken, they can change ones life forever. Now explain how God can sit at His own right Hand

or

Joh_5:20 For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.

now how can Jesus be God son, if He is God. He has Gods nature, a bit like my son, know one can tell the difference between us when we speak on the phone, yet when they speak to us in view they can see who does the talking.

0bed

Feb 21, 2010
mjrhealth said:
How the simple things of God confuse so many. You know your words can bring peace to a person and also condemn, They are your words they dont end when they are spoken, they can change ones life forever. Now explain how God can sit at His own right Hand

or

Joh_5:20 For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.

now how can Jesus be God son, if He is God. He has Gods nature, a bit like my son, know one can tell the difference between us when we speak on the phone, yet when they speak to us in view they can see who does the talking.
The Father is spirit. Jesus is flesh. The Father dwells in Jesus. They are One.
"I and the Father are one." (John 10:30.)
“the Father is in me and I am in the Father." (John 10:38.)
"Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me," (John 14:11)

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:

Secondly

God bless
2 Corinthians 3:13 KJV
And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:

IT's RIGHT THERE! This Paul writing about the 10 commandments, to the Corinthians, who happened to be gentiles! What facts do I not have right?

The gentiles may not have been given the law, but they sure as Rev 21 are going to be judged by it. Yes, i know the big question at the White Throne will be why didn't they accept Jesus, but the law will be what condemns them.

Jesus fulfilled all as spoken of in Matt 5. 1 Cor 15 tells of that and I am surprised you don't see that since you did quote it.

Now what's the real reason you jumped all over my case?

0bed

Feb 21, 2010
FHII said:
2 Corinthians 3:13 KJV
And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:

IT's RIGHT THERE! This Paul writing about the 10 commandments, to the Corinthians, who happened to be gentiles! What facts do I not have right?

The gentiles may not have been given the law, but they sure as Rev 21 are going to be judged by it. Yes, i know the big question at the White Throne will be why didn't they accept Jesus, but the law will be what condemns them.

Jesus fulfilled all as spoken of in Matt 5. 1 Cor 15 tells of that and I am surprised you don't see that since you did quote it.

Now what's the real reason you jumped all over my case?
So you believe God's Ten Commandments given to Moses have been done away with, and we shall all, Gentiles included, be judged by Jewish Law,

You have it the wrong way round.