Do you fast?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
No I do not. If it were a command, I couldn't do it either. I get very sick if I don't eat throughout the day.

I agree that Christians aren’t commanded to fast. Some do. Some don’t. Some can. Some can’t.

Some Christian traditions require it. Others encourage it. Some don’t say much about it at all.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Yes I would.

There was a member in the congregation I pastored who had hypoglycemia. That person fasted to the best of their ability and under the advice and care of their physician. I don’t recall the details now but the person ate and drank a little less than they normally would. It seems to me that it was for a time period lasting much less than 24 hours.

I don’t know if something like that would be an option for you or not. I wouldn’t advise any change to your daily eating and drinking routine without first discussing it with your physician.

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was a member in the congregation I pastored who had hypoglycemia. That person fasted to the best of their ability and under the advice and care of their physician. I don’t recall the details now but the person ate and drank a little less than they normally would. It seems to me that it was for a time period lasting much less than 24 hours.

I don’t know if something like that would be an option for you or not. I wouldn’t advise any change to your daily eating and drinking routine without first discussing it with your physician.

I actually have discussed it with my doctor and they said not to change things.

Reactions: Matthias

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Then John’s disciples came to Jesus and asked, ‘Why do we and the Pharisees fast often, but your disciples don’t fast?’ Jesus said to them, ‘The wedding guests cannot mourn while the bridegroom is with them, can they? But the days are coming when the bridegroom will be taken from them, and then they will fast.’”

(Matthew 9:14-15, NET)

For those who self-identify as disciples of Jesus, do you fast?
Yes for 3 to 6 hours at a time

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
If fasting isn’t commanded for Jesus’ disciples, why do some of them choose to fast? Why, other than health reasons, do others not?

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If fasting isn’t commanded for Jesus’ disciples, why do some of them choose to fast? Why, other than health reasons, do others not?
I used to fast for the day before I had to preach until the next afternoon. I allowed myself diet sodas though

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I used to fast for the day before I had to preach until the next afternoon. I allowed myself diet sodas though

I don’t recall ever intentionally fasting before giving a sermon. On days when I preached, I seldom ate or drank anything. I simply had no appetite for physical food and drink on those days.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Then John’s disciples came to Jesus and asked, ‘Why do we and the Pharisees fast often, but your disciples don’t fast?’ Jesus said to them, ‘The wedding guests cannot mourn while the bridegroom is with them, can they? But the days are coming when the bridegroom will be taken from them, and then they will fast.’”

(Matthew 9:14-15, NET)

For those who self-identify as disciples of Jesus, do you fast?

Every day from 2PM to 8AM.

And several times per month for from 40 to 88 hours straight.

Water only—no food or other drink.

It is to me very healthful, prayer-enhancing, and so delightful!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t recall ever intentionally fasting before giving a sermon. On days when I preached, I seldom ate or drank anything. I simply had no appetite for physical food and drink on those days.

Oh, and I never eat in the morning before preaching. :)

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Every day from 2PM to 8AM.

And several times per month for from 40 to 88 hours straight.

Water only—no food or other drink.

It is to me very healthful, prayer-enhancing, and so delightful!
That's interesting. I've thought about fasting before but I couldn't think of anything I'd fast for. I HAVE TO drink water. I get really hungry and I HAVE TO eat something. I LOVE my real fruit smoothies. I LOVE my lattes. If I see clothes I like, I think I might not be able to get something like that in the future, so I want to buy it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's interesting. I've thought about fasting before but I couldn't think of anything I'd fast for. I HAVE TO drink water. I get really hungry and I HAVE TO eat something. I LOVE my antioxidant real fruit smoothies. I LOVE my lattes. If I see clothes I like, I think I might not be able to get something like that in the future, so I want to buy it.

Fast for?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's interesting. I've thought about fasting before but I couldn't think of anything I'd fast for. I HAVE TO drink water. I get really hungry and I HAVE TO eat something. I LOVE my antioxidant real fruit smoothies. I LOVE my lattes. If I see clothes I like, I think I might not be able to get something like that in the future, so I want to buy it.

If I don't fast for a day or two once a month, I start snacking between meals or eating stuff I know I shouldn't have. My family has to hide cocktail peanuts from me. I ate a whole 16oz can in one day once. They have to ration the stuff out to me.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If I don't fast for a day or two once a month, I start snacking between meals or eating stuff I know I shouldn't have. My family has to hide cocktail peanuts from me. I ate a whole 16oz can in one day once. They have to ration the stuff out to me.
I see, I don't think it works that way for me though. I can't seem to fast for food and water and I forgot the criteria for those who can and cannot fast so for me, I think I can fast for my lattes but it can't be just that. That is only a little sacrifice so if you sacrifice only a little, will you only receive a bit of a response from your prayer? So I should fast for clothes. That's something a little bigger. Nice thread topic.

XFire

May 14, 2022
San jose
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. I notice that with doctrinal things that people immediately have excuses as to why I can't do it.

I fast and I do not hunger. When you hunger in the flesh due to fasting then ask the HS to fill you in the flesh. Thats called exercising the HS. After you are filled then you can fast for weeks