Do you forgive easily?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just wondering do you find it hard to forgive others?

I forgive easily. I guess I just take the words of Jesus about forgiving very simply....and just do it.

People who will not forgive only hurt themselves. It can cause bitterness within a person and a lack of peace because the Holy Spirit is grieved within them.

30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. 32And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.
Ephesians 4:30-32

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Matthew 5:7 NHEB Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.
Matthew 6:14-15 NHEB
"For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
James 2:13 CEB There will be no mercy in judgment for anyone who hasn’t shown mercy. Mercy overrules judgment.

You have no alternative but to extend forgiveness to others for their transgressions. For in demonstrating mercy, you shall, in turn, receive mercy.

Just envision someone requesting your forgiveness, and you respond by saying, "I am still harboring anger, and I cannot forgive you yet." Then, if God were to convey the same message to you, you would find yourself compelled to forgive, no matter how challenging it may be.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

I forgive easily. I guess I just take the words of Jesus about forgiving very simply....and just do it.

People who will not forgive only hurt themselves. It can cause bitterness within a person and a lack of peace because the Holy Spirit is grieved within them.

30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. 32And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.
I do now with the help of the Holy Spirit but I didn't always. It has been a learned thing and a practiced thing. I heard a brilliant talk about it, giving four key steps which I have forgotten. I do think though that a lot of Christians can be held back in their spiritual life by unforgiveness towards others. The bible is very clear about this.

Matthew 6:15
But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not in general.
May depend on the size of the transgression and the wound received.
Not that I refuse to forgive, it just makes it more difficult.

Right. We only hurt ourselves FURTHER when we don't forgive.
The double whammy.

Thanks for including the context of verse 30 with verses 31-32. Seldom seen together.
It connects the WHOLE thought.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only the Holy Spirit can help me forgive....

Bitterness no longer reigns in my hearts.

God has walked me through the forgiveness process....and it’s been a very long and painful process..my opinion and belief.
Agree.
I've seen a lot of Christians get hung up on a few things that get in the way of forgiveness.
The emotional and mental aspects, I suppose.
- You have to feel the forgiveness (the right emotional response)
- You have to forget the transgression (forgive and forget)
Neither is true. IMHO

Forgiveness was easier for me when I saw it as a simple transaction
between myself, God, and the offending party.

/

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Agree.
I've seen a lot of Christians get hung up on a few things that get in the way of forgiveness.
The emotional and mental aspects, I suppose.
- You have to feel the forgiveness (the right emotional response)
- You have to forget the transgression (forgive and forget)
Neither is true. IMHO

Forgiveness was easier for me when I saw it as a simple transaction
between myself, God, and the offending party.

/
I look at it this way ,Brother......we can only forgive in and through the help of the Spirit, he softens our hearts in order to forgive.

It’s a process.....I had years of councilling , God brought to a place of understanding why I was bitter, ....it’s a long story......God is in control...

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we are ill mentally, it's what's eating us.
That is possibly what happens with all of these mass shooters. That they cannot forgive or that they keep thinking about what perceived wrongs others have done to them.

It's important to learn to move on from things.

• Love
Reactions: Pearl

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some more verses that help one to forgive and move on...

12Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; 13bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. 14But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection. 15And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful.
Colossians 3:12:15

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not in general.
May depend on the size of the transgression and the wound received.
Not that I refuse to forgive, it just makes it more difficult.
I'm kinda glad you brought the size of the wound into the discussion, because I don't think forgiveness in real life is as easy as in theory.

I'm fortunate that no one has ever hurt me or someone I love bad enough that I would want to, say, put a 9mm hollow point in their skull, or take an acetylene torch to their genitalia. But I see on the 11 o'clock news these families who had their children raped and murdered, and some of the atrocities that happen in the world's war zones... How do you forgive that? And even if you can pass over the desire for revenge, can you ever be friends with the perp? (And I really should stop watching the 11 o'clock news.)

I've never had an offense so bad that I broke a relationship because of it. But I don't form relationships easily anyway, and I certainly won't pursue a relationship with a person who has offended or hurt me in the past. Is that a lack of forgiveness?

And even if I maintain the relationship, is it a lack of forgiveness if you keep the person at arm's length and take precautions to prevent them from hurting you again? Especially if the offending behavior is repeated? A lack of forgiveness, or simple prudence? My wife stayed in an abusive relationship with her first husband and got beat up again and again. I've seen crap like that more than once. Is that godly behavior, or just plain foolish?

I take Jesus's words very seriously - but I don't think it's that simple. (But Jesus knows that.)

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Can't the fear of the Lord enables you to forgive others unconditionally?
The Lord is in my heart...only he can soften my heart to forgive...plus he has to lead us , he shows us that we are bitter and holding onto forgiveness.

Many are in ignorance and don’t even know they are holding onto unforgiveness...I was one such person.....oh dear....I see ignorance on your post as well...
Your post above imo, is “ religious talk”.....religious nonsense.

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Why don't you provide an explanation?
Before I provide mine.
Why don't you provide an explanation?
Before I provide mine.
Dear Merciful Lord, Thank you for your gift of forgiveness. Your only Son loved me enough to come to earth and experience the worst pain imaginable so I could be forgiven. Your mercy flows to me in spite of my faults and failures. Your Word says to “clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony.” (Col. 3:14) Help me demonstrate unconditional love today, even to those who hurt me

The Holy Spirit helps us in all of our needs..regarding forgiveness also.....for we are NOTHING without him.

We cannot forgive in our own strength......

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm kinda glad you brought the size of the wound into the discussion, because I don't think forgiveness in real life is as easy as in theory.
A large tree that loses a big limb never regains its balance. Life after a HUGE wound will never be the same as before.
We never get over it, we can only get through it.

I've never had an offense so bad that I broke a relationship because of it. But I don't form relationships easily anyway, and I certainly won't pursue a relationship with a person who has offended or hurt me in the past. Is that a lack of forgiveness?
I have had to do that. Although I wasn't able to do it without help.
My wife and a pastor FORBID to have further contact with this person due to the poison relationship.

I take Jesus's words very seriously - but I don't think it's that simple. (But Jesus knows that.)
It's imperative that we comply, no matter the difficulty.

/

Last edited: