Do you forgive easily?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Question that no one has addressed.
How does the Lord forgive us?

Does God just forgive every sinner?

You should learn the Gospel of Jesus Christ by studying God's written Word!

No, He does not forgive every sinner automatically... but their forgiveness has been purchased by Jesus going to the Cross to taste of death for every man (Hebrews 2:9)

Our example is always Jesus, who while being crucified did not forgive them

Jesus does not teach us to forgiver others... and then refuse to forgive others Himself.

He walks in God's Word Himself... because He IS God's Word.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you forgive easily?

Sure.

Questions:
Does God forgive without repentance?

Are men supposed to forgive when an offender is not repentant?

Curious on others thoughts.

Reactions: Pisteuo

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You must not be a Christian having asked such a question...
Actually I am testing your theological and biblical knowledge.

You are aware arn't you that the entire bible teaches that forgiveness is dependant on forgiveness?

Look at the sacrificial system in the OT, it points towards Jesus, but for the devout Israelite to obtain forgiveness they had to offer an animal sacrifice, placing there hand on its head as it was killed.
As God repeated proclaimed, " If my people will turn from their wicked ways ( repentance ) and pray, then I will hear in heaven and forgive their sins/heal their land. "

Jesus taught repentance, read the parable of two men went to the temple to pray. Luke 18:10-14.
Who did Jesus was justified before God?

Look at the thieves crucified with Jesus. Who did Jesus say would be with him and why did Jesus say that? Because he repented?

Another question for you.
What group of people added to scripture?
Why do you add to scripture?

If there is repentance we Must forgive, no matter how often they have offended against us.

Reactions: Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that people who refuse to forgive only hurt themselves, and also can become bitter. They will not have true peace from the Lord in their hearts and minds.

An offense covers a wide range in how people think and react.

Meaning for example…
You hit “my” child….”I’m” offended.

I sort of lean toward an Offense being one on one.

Then further….men use, the DEMAND approach.
Example:
You hit “my” child…”I’m” offended…”I” demand you apologize.

Then further….the “ACCUSATORY” approach.
Example;
I’m offended Because…You Lied to me.
What if you DIDN’T and say you DIDN’T?
Yet “they” still ACCUSE and
Yet “they” are still OFFENDED…
Do you “apologize” for what you DID NOT DO?

Then further….the “OFFENDED” by the TRUTH.
Example:
God does not exist.
“Yes He does”
That is offensive for you to say that to me.
Do you apologize for what you DID DO, but an other says it is Offensive “to them”?

I do forgive those who have offended me, know it, and “apologize, repent, ask to be excused” etc.

I will point out a false accusation. And they can do with that what they will.
I know my truth, I am not offended if my truth differs from an other.
I do not apologize for my truth.
I do not ask or demand apologies from anyone.

Being “Offended” has become a modern catch word for numerous things…a look, a huff, a turning the back toward, a gesture, and of course words.

I believe Jesus’ teaching on OFFENSES are based in rather basic principles, of lying, cheating, stealing….

Jesus example;
Offense of one of these little ones…
Lying….not telling them of Truth of Jesus.
Cheating….Keeping the Truth of Jesus from them.
Stealing….Subverting the Truth of Jesus From them.

And the same basic principle (lying, cheating, stealing) of men between men, is my perspective of committing an Offense to an other, or an other committing an Offense against you.

I would say YES, to forgive those who HAVE committed such an OFFENSE against you…
Whether or not they admit, know, or apologize.

BECAUSE…you MAY have “unknowingly” done the same to an other, even having a brief encounter with a stranger, realize it later, and you can not, even if you wanted to, find them, to apologize.

THUS….IF you forgive Offenses (which ARE Trespasses, also called DEBTS) men have committed toward you…Then ALSO God shall Forgive Trespasses/Debts you have (knowingly, unknowingly, intentionally, unintentionally), committed to others.

Trespass is the ACT of man against man.
Debt is the unresolved result of that Trespass.
When a man Trespasses, IS repentant, seeks forgiveness, is given forgiveness, his DEBT for that Trespass is PAID.

Glory to God,
Taken

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if you DIDN’T and say you DIDN’T?
Yet “they” still ACCUSE and
Yet “they” are still OFFENDED…
Do you “apologize” for what you DID NOT DO?
No, I wouldn't apologize for something I didn't do... especially if it was something led by the Holy Spirit to say. How can a person go against their own clear heart/conscience in a matter. I surely can't.

Reactions: TLHKAJ and Taken

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually I am testing your theological and biblical knowledge.

I'm not interrogating you... consequently I'm not accepting interrogations at this time.

Why do you add to scripture?

Only in your vague imagination... have I added anything to scripture.

If there is repentance we Must forgive, no matter how often they have offended against us.

I never said this was not true... we reap what we sow (Gal 6:7,8) so if we sow un-forgiveness by refusing to forgive... then we will reap un-forgiveness as the Lord will refuse to forgive us

Matthew 6:15
if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Only in your vague imagination... have I added anything to scripture

Scripture teaches that forgive is conditional on repentance.
You in teaching that forgiveness is unconditional are adding to scripture.

Every question I have asked has been intended to get you to look at forgiveness and repentance.
From your replies you have not tried to think about the connection.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You in teaching that forgiveness is unconditional are adding to scripture.

I never said God's forgiveness was unconditional.... quite the contrary actually.

You either aren't reading what I've posted or you have issues understanding what you are reading.

Just because the Lord has purchased salvation for every human He ever created.... does not mean it's unconditional or that all are saved (universalism)

It simple means Jesus desires for all to be saved and that He has made a way for all to be saved... which proves limited atonement taught in calvinism is in opposition to what God's Word says making it false doctrine.

Romans 8:29,30
For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Ephesians 5:1
Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children

Romans 1:19-21
Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Titus 2:11,12
For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Acts 17:30
And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

John 12:32
And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

Hebrews 2:9
But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You either aren't reading what I've posted or you have issues understanding what you are reading
I've read your replies to me and they are either insulting or have nothing to say about repentance.
Look for yourself at posts 43, 49 + 51.

Saint of Light

Aug 22, 2023
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just wondering do you find it hard to forgive others?

I forgive easily. I guess I just take the words of Jesus about forgiving very simply....and just do it.

People who will not forgive only hurt themselves. It can cause bitterness within a person and a lack of peace because the Holy Spirit is grieved within them.

30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. 32And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.
Ephesians 4:30-32

I forgive anyone for whatever wrong they committed against me, even when they aren’t entirely sorry. Before I became born-again, I was quick to hold grudges and give into anger. But now I'm a believer, and God continually worked on my heart and made me merciful and tolerant towards others whose conduct against me might be less than stellar.

Never forget Matthew 6:14-15: If you don’t forgive others, then God doesn’t forgive you. Every Christian must forgive to receive mercy from God for their sins against him.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLHKAJ and Lambano

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Never forget Matthew 6:14-15: If you don’t forgive others, then God doesn’t forgive you. Every Christian must forgive to receive mercy from God for their sins against him.

And what are the conditions that God imposes on forgiveness?

Why did God say of Israel, " If my people who are called by my name will turn from their wicked ways , humble themselves, and pray. Then I will hear from heaven, forgive their sins and heal their land."

Is God different in the old and new testaments?

Why did Jesus while being crucified, pray for his killers asking God to forgive them?
Note Jesus did not forgive them!

So why do you believe that Christians should do what Jesus didn't do.

Please note Jesus taught that when there is repentance, we Must forgive and it is in that context that every verse you know about forgiveness is relevant.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God the Son wouldn't ask God the Father to forgive anyone He wasn't prepared to forgive, after all, He suffered and died to procure pardon for sinners.
Jesus's words were " Father forgive them!"

He did not say ' I forgive them?'

Yes he died and rose again to pay for our sins,but those who do not repent end up unforgiven in he'll.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Jesus's words were " Father forgive them!"

He did not say ' I forgive them?'

Yes he died and rose again to pay for our sins,but those who do not repent end up unforgiven in he'll.
The point is that Christ offers everyone forgiveness, and many take up the offer, as did many who called for his crucifixion.

Act 2:37-41 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?" (38) Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (39) For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call." (40) And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, "Be saved from this perverse generation." (41) Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them.

Act 6:7
Then the word of God spread, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests were obedient to the faith.

Reactions: Debp and L.A.M.B.