Do you forgive easily?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
The Holy Spirit helps us in all of our needs..regarding forgiveness also.....for we are NOTHING without him.
You are correct.

We cannot forgive in our own strength......
My fear of not being forgiven by God compels me to forgive others, regardless of their transgressions, with the hope that in the future, God will extend His forgiveness to me as well. This is also written in his word.

The promises of God are unlike those of humans, who may fail to uphold their commitments. If God makes a promise, I am confident that He will fulfill it.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was hoping the group could get into discussing what "Forgiveness" is - and what it isn't.

Of course, that may just be me trying to find a loophole so I can get out of doing what I should be doing. Jesus ain’t buying it.

Last edited:
Reactions: St. SteVen

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You are correct.

My fear of not being forgiven by God compels me to forgive others, regardless of their transgressions, with the hope that in the future, God will extend His forgiveness to me as well. This is also written in his word.

The promises of God are unlike those of humans, who may fail to uphold their commitments. If God makes a promise, I am confident that He will fulfill it.
God is the only one who can open our heart to receive his “ Living” word.

I’m already forgiven by God and under grace...I am Born Again/ Born of God....the Holy Spirit is in my spirit he is the one who brings everything to my attention.

Like I said many ,if not all....are in much ignorance....only God can remove us from a mindset of ignorance.

Like he did to me....he was the one who showed me my bitterness and he was the one who helped me understand it and let it go.

He doesn’t do it through fear either.....He does it Through his Love and mercy for us...he understands us like NO other.....

Praise God...All Glory belongs to him.

God is in control of all of his true children’s lives and I rest in Him.

Last edited:

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is possibly what happens with all of these mass shooters. That they cannot forgive or that they keep thinking about what perceived wrongs others have done to them.

It's important to learn to move on from things.
That is likely the case with some of the mass shooters, but the majority are victims of MK (governmental trauma-based mind control) and are programmed to carry these shootings out for the purpose of instilling fear in society, and implementing more laws to control society.

Reactions: Ritajanice

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
God is the only one who can open our heart to receive his “ Living” word.

I’m already forgiven by God and under grace...I am Born Again/ Born of God....the Holy Spirit is in my spirit he is the one who brings everything to my attention.

Like I said many ,if not all....are in much ignorance....only God can remove us from a mindset of ignorance.

Like he did to me....he was the one who showed me my bitterness and he was the one who helped me understand it and let it go.

He doesn’t do it through fear either.....He does it Through his Love and mercy for us...he understands us like NO other.....

Praise God...All Glory belongs to him.

God is in control of all of his true children’s lives and I rest in Him.
You do not fear God?

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm fortunate that no one has ever hurt me or someone I love bad enough that I would want to, say, put a 9mm hollow point in their skull, or take an acetylene torch to their genitalia. But I see on the 11 o'clock news these families who had their children raped and murdered, and some of the atrocities that happen in the world's war zones... How do you forgive that? And even if you can pass over the desire for revenge, can you ever be friends with the perp? (And I really should stop watching the 11 o'clock news.)
My father was one of my abusers, and as a child, I felt a lot of anger toward him. But as soon as I accepted Jesus at age 13, my heart was softened and I forgave him.

I yearned for my father's love all those years. Often, I would walk up to him and say, "I love you, Daddy." He wouldn't even look at me ... he'd cross his arms and say, "I love me, too." And that ...if I was desperate enough, would prompt me to hug him ....which was responded to with sexual abuse. What child wouldn't feel betrayed, and feel hatred and bitterness? But God helped me forgive him while abuse continued.

Years later, my older sister is puzzled as to how I could forgive our parents. And others who hurt me remarked that I forgave easily. It is Jesus' doings. But He does work within our will.

I carried a lot of shame and guilt as a small child that maybe I asked to be abused because .....why did I still love a man who hurt me like he did? It had to be my own fault. My love was tainted and dirty bc I loved my father who abused me so horribly. (That was my belief.) My view of myself was so bad that I wouldn't "touch" people that I saw as good for fear of tainting or dirtying them. I kept myself from them, bc if I let my love touch them, I'd get them dirty. That's what I believed about myself.

One day as an adult, I was working through that shame and guilt with the Lord, and He took me back to the time when I was 3 years old. He showed me a huge dark ugly mass of evil (the abuse, trauma, betrayal, etc) and I saw a beautiful pure light shining out of the midst of it. He spoke to my heart and showed me that ....the beautiful light I saw was the love I felt toward my daddy. It was not tainted by the darkness. It was a gift from God that helped me survive the trauma. It wasn't dirtied or tainted by the filth of abuse and trauma. It was that love that drew me to Himself, and helped me forgive my father ....and then that love that ultimately came from Him, drew my father to Himself before he passed away in 2005 (Thanksgiving Day).

That truth He showed me set me free from the shame and guilt!

BUT .....although I forgave my dad, that didn't mean I trusted him. And I certainly didn't bring my children around him. That would've been irresponsible and dangerous. After my dad was dying, and I could see he had accepted the Lord ....he was a different man. We did go see him ...he was very sick ....but I made sure my children weren't in danger. You have to use wisdom. But .....the change in my dad at the end was amazing.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do not fear God?
It's God's love that enables us to love and forgive others.

We love Him because He loved us first. Christ's love in us enables us to love others. The same with forgiveness. I've experienced this.

These scriptures confirm the link between love and forgiveness.

2 Corinthians 2:1-11

[1]But I determined this with myself, that I would not come again to you in heaviness.
[2]For if I make you sorry, who is he then that maketh me glad, but the same which is made sorry by me?
[3]And I wrote this same unto you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow from them of whom I ought to rejoice; having confidence in you all, that my joy is the joy of you all.
[4]For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you.
[5]But if any have caused grief, he hath not grieved me, but in part: that I may not overcharge you all.
[6]Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many.
[7]So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.
[8]Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him.
[9]For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things.
[10]To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ;

[11]Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.

And yet we are told that in order to be forgiven, we must forgive ....so that may bring an element of fear. But consider this.... there is no fear in love.

1 John 4:15-21
[15]Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
[16]And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
[17]Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
[18]There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
[19]We love him, because he first loved us.
[20]If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
[21]And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

And love is the key to keeping the commandments. When we love God, His commandments aren't grievous...not a heavy burden. So when we know that we are loved of God, our response is to love Him, and to love others. Forgiveness flows from a place of love ....and knowing that we are loved, we are forgiven, so we can let that flow to others.

1 John 5:1-3
[1]Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.
[2]By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

[3]For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was hoping the group could get into discussing what "Forgiveness" is - and what it isn't.
Let's lead the way.

To me, it's a cut and dried transaction with no emotion required.
If we fasten emotion to it, we make it more complicated than it needs to be.
- "Did I REALLY forgive?"
- "Have I REALLY forgotten?"
- "It still hurts, I MUST not have forgiven them."

I like the lyrics on this one. "We bury the hatchet, but leave the handle stickin' out."

/

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

We love Him because He loved us first. Christ's love in us enables us to love others. The same with forgiveness. I've experienced this.

[1]But I determined this with myself, that I would not come again to you in heaviness.
[2]For if I make you sorry, who is he then that maketh me glad, but the same which is made sorry by me?
[3]And I wrote this same unto you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow from them of whom I ought to rejoice; having confidence in you all, that my joy is the joy of you all.
[4]For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you.
[5]But if any have caused grief, he hath not grieved me, but in part: that I may not overcharge you all.
[7]So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.
[9]For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things.
[10]To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ;

[11]Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.

And yet we are told that in order to be forgiven, we must forgive ....so that may bring an element of fear. But consider this.... there is no fear in love.

[15]Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
[16]And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
[17]Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
[18]There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
[20]If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
[21]And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

And love is the key to keeping the commandments. When we love God, His commandments aren't grievous...not a heavy burden. So when we know that we are loved of God, our response is to love Him, and to love others. Forgiveness flows from a place of love ....and knowing that we are loved, we are forgiven, so we can let that flow to others.

[1]Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.
[2]By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

[3]For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
This is what I call spiritual food.....100% Amen!!!....Praise God for His Precious Holy Spirit!!..

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BUT .....although I forgave my dad, that didn't mean I trusted him. And I certainly didn't bring my children around him. That would've been irresponsible and dangerous. After my dad was dying, and I could see he had accepted the Lord ....he was a different man. We did go see him ...he was very sick ....but I made sure my children weren't in danger. You have to use wisdom. But .....the change in my dad at the end was amazing.
This is a great point to add. Thanks.

People can do whatever they choose, but they can do it for free.

/

Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Furthermore ...what we have freely received from God, we are to freely give.

We saw this in Peter's testimony as well. I've shared this at length before, but in short (hopefully), Peter was a changed man after his experience in the storm when Jesus commanded the disciples to "get into the boat and go to the other side." There are so many lessons within that account ...but Peter learned during the storm to walk by faith and not by sight. As long as he kept his gaze on Jesus, he could walk on the stormy sea and not sink. Later, Peter met a lame man at the gate of the temple and said to him, "Silver and gold have I none, but such as I have give I unto thee. In the name of Jesus, rise up and walk."
Wow! Peter gave what he had received from Jesus in the midst of the storm. (Walk by faith in Jesus Christ.)

Acts 3:1-9

[1]Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour.
[2]And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple;
[3]Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms.
[4]And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us.
[5]And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them.
[6]Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.
[7]And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.
[8]And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God.
[9]And all the people saw him walking and praising God:

2 Corinthians 1:3-7
[3]Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;
[4]Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.
[5]For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ.
[6]And whether we be afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effectual in the enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer: or whether we be comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation.

[7]And our hope of you is stedfast, knowing, that as ye are partakers of the sufferings, so shall ye be also of the consolation.

• Love
Reactions: Debp and Ritajanice

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's lead the way.

To me, it's a cut and dried transaction with no emotion required.
If we fasten emotion to it, we make it more complicated than it needs to be.
- "Did I REALLY forgive?"
- "Have I REALLY forgotten?"
- "It still hurts, I MUST not have forgiven them."

I like the lyrics on this one. "We bury the hatchet, but leave the handle stickin' out."

/
I've experienced both. And where it comes to people who have harmed my children and grandchildren, it is not as easy. But God has helped me to turn my anger toward satan instead, and see these people as victims of satan ....and that enables me to pray for them. And during prayer (which I did/do at His prompting) God is able to move, to pull the weeds of pain, hurt, hate, etc .....and fill those places with HIS love and HIS passion and compassion, giving us His eyes to see .... it's pretty amazing!! And I think the more we practice that, the more God works within our own hearts.... win, win!!

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've experienced both. And where it comes to people who have harmed my children and grandchildren, it is not as easy. But God has helped me to turn my anger toward satan instead, and see these people as victims of satan ....and that enables me to pray for them. And during prayer (which I did/do at His promoting) God is able to move, to pull the weeds of pain, hurt, hate, etc .....and fill those places with HIS love and HIS passion and compassion, giving us His eyes to see .... it's pretty amazing!! And I think the more we practice that, the more God works within our own hearts.... win, win!!
That’s exactly where he’s turned me to look also, Sis.

The Devil just wanted me to hold onto my unforgiveness...Praise God, he had other plans....I will never forget the emotional abuse I suffered....but, I see where the abuse truly came from.and it wasn’t from God.

I also thank God for the pain I suffered...where there’s no pain...there is NO gain....Praise God in every situation.

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines

I have known that all that God doth is to the age, to it nothing is to be added, and from it nothing is to be withdrawn; and God hath wrought that they do fear before Him.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are correct.

This is a start.... but once you move into love, it is less of a chore. We can maybe get by with just doing the basics ....or not? Jesus says that if we only go as far as obeying commands for the sake of obeying, we are an unprofitable servant.

Luke 17:7-10
[7]But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
[8]And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
[9]Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.

[10]So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

Reactions: Debp and Ritajanice

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have known that all that God doth is to the age, to it nothing is to be added, and from it nothing is to be withdrawn; and God hath wrought that they do fear before Him.
Amen. Can you connect this with forgiveness?

Proverbs 1:7

[7]The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 9:10

[10]The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

Yes, it is the beginning point ....but love fulfils the law.

Romans 13:8-10

[8]Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
[9]For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

[10]Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 6:15
But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Yes, let's make the decision to forgive others even as the Lord has forgiven us.

Colossians 3:13
Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

If one refuses to forgive others sowing un-forgiveness, then they will reap un-forgiveness..... this is another proof text that OSAS is not a true biblical doctrine taught in God's Word

Galatians 6:7-8 (see Gen 8:22)
Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
For
he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

We should all remember the teaching Jesus gave about the guy that refused to forgive his fellow servant after having been forgiven himself in Matthew 18:21-35

In this teaching Jesus says those refusing to forgive will be given over to the tormentors (demons).

I've known numerous people over the years that were continually agitated and always troubled and when talking to them I'd ask if by chance had they been done wrong by someone in life.

And in each case they said yes somebody had done something bad to them... and they all said they refused to forgive them and would never forgive them.

This is why they live in a state of demonic oppression that can easily turn in to demonic possession that leads to their lives being destroyed with them dying and going to hell.

A word of caution... those refusing to forgive others may very well do some terrible thing to you too because they have demons controlling their lives!

Last edited:

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
let's make the decision to forgive others even as the Lord has forgiven us
Question that no one has addressed.
How does the Lord forgive us?

Does God just forgive every sinner?

those refusing to forgive others may very well do some terrible thing to you too because they have demons controlling their lives
Another question no one has thought of.

What does the Lord expect us to do for those who hate us?

Answers:-
No one is forgiven by the Lord who has not repented.
Parable of the unjust servant is he repented and was shown forgiveness, but when an offender against him repented he did not forgive.

Our example is always Jesus, who while being crucified did not forgive them, but prayed for them asking God to forgive them.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just wondering do you find it hard to forgive others?

I forgive easily. I guess I just take the words of Jesus about forgiving very simply....and just do it.

People who will not forgive only hurt themselves. It can cause bitterness within a person and a lack of peace because the Holy Spirit is grieved within them.

30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. 32And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.
Ephesians 4:30-32
Do I forgive easily? If someone comes over to my condo everyday and kicks me in the shin, I'd like to be allowed to wait till he stops kicking me in the shin before I forgive him.