Do you pray for yourself and for your needs and desires?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Many will say NO, I pray for others needs and help, but I do not dare ask God for help or things for myself, that is sinful.

I will say to them.... so you don't need God or His help in your life.... BUT others DO? How is it that we think that we are perfect and don't need help from God to work in us. Or that we can make our own way in life by GETTING our own cars, homes, clothes, big screen tv, vacation funds without falling into sin by asking God for them!!! We would never seek wealth or material needs from God they shout!

Do you know that to not seek God's help, provision and protection, you are really showing PRIDE?
You are, pride says I don't need God, I can work hard and gain them for myself.
Oh, this does not mean that we don't have to work... but it is when we work in ethics according to His Word, that as our soul prospers in thespiritual things of God, He can bless us to prosper us and heal us in the natural things of life.
3 John 2
2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.
KJV

And as for us praying for other's to be shown the light and hopefully changing THEIR sinful ways.
We better pray for ourself DAILY and continueally Otherwise we are saying to God... I don't need any help Lord... but THIS ONE.. they need all the help you can muster. Self righteous PRIDE!!
Before I pray or at least when I pray for others... I make sure I let God know that I KNOW that I need much work done in me as well.
Each person is responsible for their own spiritual growth... No one else can do this for you. We can never make someone love God or come to Christ, for they are master of their own heart.

So the biggest example of pride, is when you don't seek God and His Word for every area of your life with requests, expectations and thanksgiving for what you do have, especially for your financial needs, otherwise you are displaying to Him that you are putting your trust in your own hands, your own ability, your own accomplishments as if God is not the giver of them all.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
That is assuming one fears they will be engaging in pride if they pray for themselves. Careful not to paint with too broad a brush, you wind up getting as much paint on yourself as you do the canvas.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
afaithfulone4u said:
And as for us praying for other's to be shown the light and hopefully changing THEIR sinful ways.
We better pray for ourself DAILY and continueally Otherwise we are saying to God... I don't need any help Lord... but THIS ONE.. they need all the help you can muster. Self righteous PRIDE!!
Before I pray or at least when I pray for others... I make sure I let God know that I KNOW that I need much work done in me as well.
Each person is responsible for their own spiritual growth... No one else can do this for you. We can never make someone love God or come to Christ, for they are master of their own heart.

So the biggest example of pride, is when you don't seek God and His Word for every area of your life with requests, expectations and thanksgiving for what you do have, especially for your financial needs, otherwise you are displaying to Him that you are putting your trust in your own hands, your own ability, your own accomplishments as if God is not the giver of them all.
-- Pride is only ONE reason why people do not pray to God for their needs.

Another is that they feel they are not worthy to ask God for help via prayer because they know they have sin in their lives.

Yet another is because they simply do not think God will answer them. They have asked with their whole heart in the past and God - in their eyes - did absolutely nothing.

And yet another is because people feel He isn't concerned with "the little stuff" and that what they ask for has to be "pretty important" before they should bring it before God.

Right or wrong, these reasons are far from rare.

Ignorance of who God really is and His expectations of us have left many feeling He doesn't answer our prayers when in fact it is our lack of wisdom and understanding as to what He expects from us that is the problem.

Pride is the problem? Yes. But FAR from the only problem.

I'm with Andy. You are perhaps painting with too broad a brush.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
If you follow the principles in the Lord's Prayer, you will pray for yourself.

I have never really heard of anyone boasting that they did not pray for themselves. What would be the reason for admitting such a thing (boasting or not)? Anyone that is in fellowship with the Lord will express their desires to be close to Him, to have patience, to love as He loved to bear their cross, for help in time of need. I would say anyone who does not have this kind of normal relationship with their Father is probably not praying for others, either. I'm trying to visualize what kind of a person this looks like in real life. Since it is the Spirit of God praying in and through us, I can't imagine someone quenching the Spirit of God making requests on their behalf.

Examples of praying for yourself:

Mar_11:24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
Mar_13:18 And pray ye that your flight be not in the winter.

Luk_21:36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

Rom_8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

1Co_14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

Jas_5:13 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.

Job, David, Jeremiah, Jonah and others prayed for themselves. The Psalms are replete with examples of David praying for himself.

Axehead

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Axehead said:
If you follow the principles in the Lord's Prayer, you will pray for yourself.

I have never really heard of anyone boasting that they did not pray for themselves. What would be the reason for admitting such a thing (boasting or not)? Anyone that is in fellowship with the Lord will express their desires to be close to Him, to have patience, to love as He loved to bear their cross, for help in time of need. I would say anyone who does not have this kind of normal relationship with their Father is probably not praying for others, either. I'm trying to visualize what kind of a person this looks like in real life. Since it is the Spirit of God praying in and through us, I can't imagine someone quenching the Spirit of God making requests on their behalf.

Examples of praying for yourself:

Mar_11:24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
Mar_13:18 And pray ye that your flight be not in the winter.

Luk_21:36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

Rom_8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

1Co_14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

Jas_5:13 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.

Job, David, Jeremiah, Jonah and others prayed for themselves. The Psalms are replete with examples of David praying for himself.

Axehead

I have heard people say I don't pray for myself for my needs, I only pray for others. You can take this two ways. One is that they don't believe that God is a blesser and that this is the whole reason that God wants to draw us to His Word.. so that He can bless us in all things that we need. And two is that they think it selfish to ask God for provisions when in reality, it is WRONG to not ask Him to provide our needs. The more of our own hand or the governments hand or the doctor man's hand we depend on, the less of His hand in the matter we get. Faith is what moves Him, not needs, not tears, not desires. For if tears, needs or wants moved God, there wouldn't be a poor, hungry, sick person in the world. But the failure to ask Him and not doubt in our heart is hard, because man believes after he sees. We must believe, Before we shall see anything from God.

There is no limit to what we can pray for.. but the greatest thing we can pray for is spiritual wisdom and understanding to walk in the Word. Because when you have the PEARL... you have everything God has to offer for His Wisdom is better than rubies and gold and NOTHING can compare. Really if we take a look at David's prayers, he didn't ever need to ask for material things because David was favoured of God because he looked to God to give him wisdom of His law and protection from his enemies who hate a righteous person who abides in God's Word to do Justice. Jesus told us to pray not to fall into temptation also, for we are being tried and tested so be on our guard. Satan used Peter's mouth as he stood right next to Jesus.

Luke 22:40
40 And when he was at the place, he said unto them, Pray that ye enter not into temptation.
KJV
Mark 11:24-26
24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.
26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.
KJV
Matt 26:53-54
53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?
54 But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?
KJV
Matt 26:41-42
41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
42 He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.
KJV
Luke 11:2-4
2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.
3 Give us day by day our daily bread.
4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.
KJV
Luke 22:46
46 And said unto them, Why sleep ye? rise and pray, lest ye enter into temptation.
KJV
John 14:16-18
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
KJV
John 16:26
26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:
KJV

When we come to the Father and we ask using the name of Jesus, as he told us to do, the Father sees us as His beloved Son Jesus.

BiggAndyy said:
That is assuming one fears they will be engaging in pride if they pray for themselves. Careful not to paint with too broad a brush, you wind up getting as much paint on yourself as you do the canvas.
Why are you so defensive with me all of the time? I am just sharing some of my manna with you.

Foreigner said:
-- Pride is only ONE reason why people do not pray to God for their needs.

Another is that they feel they are not worthy to ask God for help via prayer because they know they have sin in their lives.

Yet another is because they simply do not think God will answer them. They have asked with their whole heart in the past and God - in their eyes - did absolutely nothing.

And yet another is because people feel He isn't concerned with "the little stuff" and that what they ask for has to be "pretty important" before they should bring it before God.

Right or wrong, these reasons are far from rare.

Ignorance of who God really is and His expectations of us have left many feeling He doesn't answer our prayers when in fact it is our lack of wisdom and understanding as to what He expects from us that is the problem.

Pride is the problem? Yes. But FAR from the only problem.

I'm with Andy. You are perhaps painting with too broad a brush.
God wants us to look up to Him for everything. He wants us to lean upon Him so that we are weak as His children who need their Father's assistance. He enjoys helping us to learn how to walk in the Spirit of our new birth as heir's with His Son. God owns the entire earth and all of the gold, the cattle and everything that comes from this earth that He Created for His children is ours, yet it is in the hands of our enemies.

He does not want us to JUST seek the things, He wants us to not think of them as of much worth compared to a good name, but He knows that we have need of them to live. We do not need to be rich to be in idolatry. We can show our attachment to money over trust in His provision with our last dollar to our name. Jesus applauded the poor widow who put in her last bit of money she had to live on, because he saw that she put more faith in giving back to God than her two cents. All things are God's before they come to us. That is why Paul told us to give back to God a portion of our income in 1Cor.16:1-3 for God is the one who allows us to borrow for nothing is REALLY ours, it all belongs to our Father who gives to us for our pleasure. Only foolish ones believe the property they have is theirs.

1 Cor 3:20-23
20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.
21 Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours;
22 Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours;
23 And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.
KJV

Axehead

May 9, 2012
afaithfulone4u said:
I have heard people say I don't pray for myself for my needs, I only pray for others. You can take this two ways. One is that they don't believe that God is a blesser and that this is the whole reason that God wants to draw us to His Word.. so that He can bless us in all things that we need. And two is that they think it selfish to ask God for provisions when in reality, it is WRONG to not ask Him to provide our needs. The more of our own hand or the governments hand or the doctor man's hand we depend on, the less of His hand in the matter we get. Faith is what moves Him, not needs, not tears, not desires. For if tears, needs or wants moved God, there wouldn't be a poor, hungry, sick person in the world. But the failure to ask Him and not doubt in our heart is hard, because man believes after he sees. We must believe, Before we shall see anything from God.

There is no limit to what we can pray for.. but the greatest thing we can pray for is spiritual wisdom and understanding to walk in the Word. Because when you have the PEARL... you have everything God has to offer for His Wisdom is better than rubies and gold and NOTHING can compare. Really if we take a look at David's prayers, he didn't ever need to ask for material things because David was favoured of God because he looked to God to give him wisdom of His law and protection from his enemies who hate a righteous person who abides in God's Word to do Justice. Jesus told us to pray not to fall into temptation also, for we are being tried and tested so be on our guard. Satan used Peter's mouth as he stood right next to Jesus.

Luke 22:40
40 And when he was at the place, he said unto them, Pray that ye enter not into temptation.
KJV
Mark 11:24-26
24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.
26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.
KJV
Matt 26:53-54
53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?
54 But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?
KJV
Matt 26:41-42
41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
42 He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.
KJV
Luke 11:2-4
2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.
3 Give us day by day our daily bread.
4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.
KJV
Luke 22:46
46 And said unto them, Why sleep ye? rise and pray, lest ye enter into temptation.
KJV
John 14:16-18
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
KJV
John 16:26
26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:
KJV

When we come to the Father and we ask using the name of Jesus, as he told us to do, the Father sees us as His beloved Son Jesus.

Why are you so defensive with me all of the time? I am just sharing some of my manna with you.

God wants us to look up to Him for everything. He wants us to lean upon Him so that we are weak as His children who need their Father's assistance. He enjoys helping us to learn how to walk in the Spirit of our new birth as heir's with His Son. God owns the entire earth and all of the gold, the cattle and everything that comes from this earth that He Created for His children is ours, yet it is in the hands of our enemies.

He does not want us to JUST seek the things, He wants us to not think of them as of much worth compared to a good name, but He knows that we have need of them to live. We do not need to be rich to be in idolatry. We can show our attachment to money over trust in His provision with our last dollar to our name. Jesus applauded the poor widow who put in her last bit of money she had to live on, because he saw that she put more faith in giving back to God than her two cents. All things are God's before they come to us. That is why Paul told us to give back to God a portion of our income in 1Cor.16:1-3 for God is the one who allows us to borrow for nothing is REALLY ours, it all belongs to our Father who gives to us for our pleasure. Only foolish ones believe the property they have is theirs.

1 Cor 3:20-23
20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.
21 Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours;
22 Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours;
23 And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.
KJV
Ok, I understand. You're talking about people asking God for material possessions. Well, if you are led by the Spirit to ask for something, then ask.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
But how many in the "name it claim it" camp treat God like a Genie or a Pezz dispenser? While God loves and care for our needs as individuals did He not also create the entire world for Mankind to work and enjoy?

Axehead

May 9, 2012
BiggAndyy said:
But how many in the "name it claim it" camp treat God like a Genie or a Pezz dispenser? While God loves and care for our needs as individuals did He not also create the entire world for Mankind to work and enjoy?
ok, so now we are moving to the name it claim it. I would say everyone in the "name it claim it camp" treat God like a genie. That is why they are in that camp. And that is a very immature and childish way to walk and God will try to bring them into maturity (trials and testings) if they are willing. Unfortunately, just like with spoiled children, hardship makes them into worse "little stinkers".

stefen

Mar 3, 2013
Chennai, India
I won't ask to God that I want this that.. Etc., As Jesus said, seek the kingdom of God 1st, then everything else will follow you. But as per Paul words to Timothy, I pray for rulers, country, sick and others.
God knows what i required to live. Human needs the three things for his life in this world, shelter, food and clothes. If these three is given to us sufficiently..! What else is required to live in this world?? I won't really care for anything else..!

Pray for another and worship God at most of the time.

Reactions: KingJ

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
afaithfulone4u said:
Many will say NO, I pray for others needs and help, but I do not dare ask God for help or things for myself, that is sinful.

I will say to them.... so you don't need God or His help in your life.... BUT others DO? How is it that we think that we are perfect and don't need help from God to work in us. Or that we can make our own way in life by GETTING our own cars, homes, clothes, big screen tv, vacation funds without falling into sin by asking God for them!!! We would never seek wealth or material needs from God they shout!

Do you know that to not seek God's help, provision and protection, you are really showing PRIDE?
You are, pride says I don't need God, I can work hard and gain them for myself.
Oh, this does not mean that we don't have to work... but it is when we work in ethics according to His Word, that as our soul prospers in thespiritual things of God, He can bless us to prosper us and heal us in the natural things of life.
3 John 2
2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.
KJV

You and I don't see eye to eye :unsure:. Surely if we have already given ourselves 100% to Him. Submitted our members 100% to Him. Praying day in, day out that His will is done in our lives. We should not have to ask for needs. I accept scripture that says we have not because we ask not. But I don't see that as pertaining to our needs. We should not need to pray for our needs anymore then a kid needs to beg his parents for food or medication. We are at God's mercy. We have thrown ourselves at God's feet. Every prayer we pray is to start with 'Thy will be done'. God's 'help, provision and protection' as you say, are givens if we are in full submission to Him as we should be. Things such as healing, food, clothing, roof etc should then not require prayer.

Praying for our requests / desires requires a lot of tact and humility as it can so easily be pride. We can pray for desires like a kid wanting a bike. But need to accept that we are not going to get a motorbike if its not the Fathers will despite how much we pray. As children we have room for picking the colour and make of the bike only I guess. I would also suspect God be concerned if we constantly picked the fanciest / most boastful bike. How leniant are you with your children?

Putting others before yourself is self righteous? Obviously God knows we need His help, otherwise we would never have fallen at His feet in fear and trembling for Him to take control and have His way in our lives when we got saved. We are to do that daily. Its the complete opposite of pride surely?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
talking about needs and desires is an important part of all intimate relationships. Spouses have these type of conversations with each even when they already know the answers - conveying information is not the ultimate purpose - instead, sharing needs is displaying vulnerability, which excercises faith and builds trust. ultimately it strengthens all relationships