Do you pray in the spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you pray in the spirit?

• Yes I do

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No I dont.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
A signed contract may and often does indicate there is a problem as God doesn't require such things. But... having said that are there not some men who in spite of having signed still have their hearts toward God? Consider King David and a couple of the kings of the southern kingdom of Judah. Mostly the kings inherited the crown from their fathers, but the whole idea of kings was really not something that pleased God, but nonetheless, He did use it, at times yes with the left hand but also at times with the right hand.
well, i'm surely idealist in the extreme, i guess. To me it is a Q of "you can't serve two masters."

and the OT refs, being a diff covenant (ideally; of course we are all living in the OT right now, in another sense), tend to mess with me, my sense, a lot like the fact that they are kings (not pleasing to God) does. i have to remind myself, iow, that King David is a ref to me, or also a ref to me anyway.

still can't shake the feeling that if some Emperor had told King Dave that he had to sign a contract to avoid paying tribute as a Priest, he would have passed; but of course i have ruined the analogy in making it, adding an Emperor. Bc King D coined his own $, and surely wouldn't have allowed a Fed either, do you think?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
If we are really on the Lord's side, should not we be willing to wherever He wants us to go? Sometimes our flesh will not be pleased.
when i was...even more idealist than i am now, lol, as if, i would insist that seekers follow Christ's instructions in The Sendings literally; but just recently i have seen how a less literal application might work as well. Emphasis on the might tho, bc one can afford to exercise so much more pride the figurative way.

hmm. don't get me wrong there, i exercised plenty of pride doing it literally, too--i'd get pissed over some whatever, can't even recall any essential ones now, and take off walking, in the rain even, didn't care. Not obeying "eat what they feed you" very well iow. so, ignore this post, essentially :D

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Looks like a nice place to me, but then I know that I am a strange bird.
ha, horrid picture, too, not even representative. i wouldn't even go to that picture place, if i didn't know better i'd say that this one, single image in a specific GImage search was chosen for its ugliness lol. Ima go find one i took, right now, matter of fact!
Colorado_bike_ride_133.jpg

Image:Colorado_bike_ride_133.jpg

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we are really on the Lord's side, should not we be willing to wherever He wants us to go? Sometimes our flesh will not be pleased.
I'll say...but Christ in us strengthens us....(big time). ♡

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, i'm surely idealist in the extreme, i guess. To me it is a Q of "you can't serve two masters."
We are not supposed to but... consider what James wrote:

"But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?" James 3:8-11

No, they ought not to be, but they were then when he wrote the verses and they are also now. He was writing not to unbelievers, but to believers. With that tongue we perhaps kneed quietly at home praying and praising God... and then off we go on an errand in our car and some guy rudely cuts in front of with his car and the same tongue says what...? Helps us dear Lord for our double mindedness!

and the OT refs, being a diff covenant (ideally; of course we are all living in the OT right now, in another sense), tend to mess with me, my sense, a lot like the fact that they are kings (not pleasing to God) does. i have to remind myself, iow, that King David is a ref to me, or also a ref to me anyway.

When I read the scriptures and pray I do not neglect the OT, but read it regularly and continuously as well as the NT. I do not try to divide them or say in my mind purposely that this is of the Old Covenant and this is of the New Covenant, whatever those two things really are as God sees them. There are some very carnal stories told in the OT but in all [or nearly all?] of them is there not another story or stories being told? A lot of people will accept that, but I see the same thing happening in the NT in places where others will sometimes blindly insist in seeing only what is literally written [according to their more literal minds?]

What man has taught us has become a part of us and many times we need to get past that part of ourselves to approach God's truth. Our preconceived notions, wherever they came from, do frequently get in our way.

still can't shake the feeling that if some Emperor had told King Dave that he had to sign a contract to avoid paying tribute as a Priest, he would have passed; but of course i have ruined the analogy in making it, adding an Emperor. Bc King D coined his own $, and surely wouldn't have allowed a Fed either, do you think?

David was a special person because he rarely took his eyes off of God and the things of God for long. What did he have that was so special? People speak today of having the Holy Ghost of speaking in unknown tongues and having other gifts from God, but David lived long before we hear much of those things, yet... why did he pray this prayer with the reference to the Holy Spirit?

"Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me." Psalm 51:11

Notice that in the Kings James translation [the one I always read in English] the "holy spirit" is spelled without capital letters at the beginning. I mention that because it makes me wonder what it is that we have that is so different from what David had. Writing it with small letters seems to de-emphasize it but who am I to say that that was the right thing to do? Did the translators do it that way purposely to separate what David had from what it is we say that we have?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Notice that in the Kings James translation [the one I always read in English] the "holy spirit" is spelled without capital letters at the beginning. I mention that because it makes me wonder what it is that we have that is so different from what David had. Writing it with small letters seems to de-emphasize it but who am I to say that that was the right thing to do? Did the translators do it that way purposely to separate what David had from what it is we say that we have?
ya, strikes me as blasphemous too, i mean if you're capitalizing God but not Holy Spirit, then? i gotta believe it was an effort to do what you are saying, but yikes already, the chutzpah lol

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
when i was...even more idealist than i am now, lol, as if, i would insist that seekers follow Christ's instructions in The Sendings literally; but just recently i have seen how a less literal application might work as well. Emphasis on the might tho, bc one can afford to exercise so much more pride the figurative way.
Ah the literal versus the not so literal, the latter being called figurative or spiritual or who knows what. Back when I thought if I just studied the Bible enough I would get it all right. It did not work. What does work? I have an answer but I found that my answer will often provoke an attack against me (hopefully not by you). Some have put God into a box and don't like it when I suggest that He does not fit and really... neither should I. How big is our God?

hmm. don't get me wrong there, i exercised plenty of pride doing it literally, too--i'd get pissed over some whatever, can't even recall any essential ones now, and take off walking, in the rain even, didn't care. Not obeying "eat what they feed you" very well iow. so, ignore this post, essentially :D

Pride: In spite of our best efforts it probably comes back at us more and stronger than the others:

"For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." I John 2:16

Anyone who is NOT still hit by them is either in the grave or already an overcomer as Jesus was here:

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Reactions: bbyrd009

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha, horrid picture, too, not even representative. i wouldn't even go to that picture place, if i didn't know better i'd say that this one, single image in a specific GImage search was chosen for its ugliness lol. Ima go find one i took, right now, matter of fact!
Colorado_bike_ride_133.jpg

Image:Colorado_bike_ride_133.jpg
Of course man is already in the picture. The really nicest ones would stand our for their lack of the influences of man:

"And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day." Gen 1:31

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll say...but Christ in us strengthens us....(big time). ♡

"Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong." II Cor 12:10

How much pleasure do we take in the things listed? Help us dear Lord!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
if I just studied the Bible enough I would get it all right. It did not work.
ha, no kidding.
What does work? I have an answer but I found that my answer will often provoke an attack against me
ha, well at least then you would know me, right; i would be revealed. So, what answer?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ya, strikes me as blasphemous too, i mean if you're capitalizing God but not Holy Spirit, then? i gotta believe it was an effort to do what you are saying, but yikes already, the chutzpah lol
Well I would hesitate to say it was purposely blasphemous since I never met any of the translators, but some people who go strongly with the literal might miss, or at least be delayed, in encountering something important for them as a result. Maybe God had it done that way on purpose even as Jesus spoke parables on purpose without an interpretation because of where some people already were, or were not?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Well I would hesitate to say it was purposely blasphemous since I never met any of the translators, but some people who go strongly with the literal might miss, or at least be delayed, in encountering something important for them as a result. Maybe God had it done that way on purpose even as Jesus spoke parables on purpose without an interpretation because of where some people already were, or were not?
i am not Bible Scholar enough to grasp how capitalization was inferred or written in the original languages, but from what Lex tells me that which we are talking about now is simply scribes doing what scribes do?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@bbyrd009

Amadeus said: if I just studied the Bible enough I would get it all right. It did not work.
bbyrd009 said: ha, no kidding.
Amadeus said: What does work? I have an answer but I found that my answer will often provoke an attack against me
bbyrd009 said: Ha, well at least then you would know me, right; i would be revealed. So, what answer?

Follow Him! How does one do that? If we really have the Holy Spirit in us then therein lies the answer. I read and study the scriptures daily and I always pray in tongues before, during, and after. When I know I am going to need Him and sometimes when I do not know, I also pray. Some people don't like to hear me say that praying in tongues works. For that I am not sorry as how could I be sorry for the way God works in me? It is part of my personal testimony.

Does God work the same way in everyone? I cannot say for certain, but I sincerely doubt it.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... but I found that my answer will often provoke an attack against me.....
Some have put God into a box and don't like it when I suggest that He does not fit and really... neither should I. How big is our God?
I believe more people are coming around that ya can't place God in a box.
It was long ago Fermi and Einstein told us what's in an atom.
Later, that it's 99.99999% empty space.
Later, 'The Holographic Universe' was published.

Cut a holographic bookmark into pieces...each piece holds the entire image of "the elephants" or Jesus...or Ringo. Ha!

I think many of us do realize God is beyond human imagination.
Those that limit this Infinite Spiritual Being are cute...when they attack or get mad...it's kinda like watching a little kid in a sandbox pushing
another kid down...ya just can't take it too seriously.
Later, when they become adults they live with paperchains on their wrists limiting their thoughts and hearts.
My take....

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i am not Bible Scholar enough to grasp how capitalization was inferred or written in the original languages, but from what Lex tells me that which we are talking about now is simply scribes doing what scribes do?
Neither am I when it comes to the original written languages. In my own ballpark I know there is a quirk in German regarding capitalization. [All nouns, not only proper nouns, are always capitalized.] The quirks, if there are any, in those languages must be translated [if translation is needed for proper understanding] is up to the translators. Would God lead or mislead translators? I guess it would depend on whether or not it accomplished His purpose according to His plan.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Cut a holographic bookmark into pieces...each piece holds the entire image of "the elephants" or Jesus...or Ringo. Ha!

Even some of those that say they realize too often do not act as though they do. People like clear cut black and white answers to every question in every situation. Man without God does not have such answers. Man with God has access to the right answer, but often does not realize that another situation and question requires another contact with Him.

Those that limit this Infinite Spiritual Being are cute...when they attack or get mad...it's kinda like watching a little kid in a sandbox pushing
Later, when they become adults they live with paperchains on their wrists limiting their thoughts and hearts.
My take....

Give God the glory, Sister.

All of us started as children. Same is true again when we met God... that is we were once again children. It is necessary to grow up but the way to grow up naturally [carnally] is not the way to grow up spiritually.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
@Marymog again ^
Some people don't like to hear me say that praying in tongues works. For that I am not sorry as how could I be sorry for the way God works in me? It is part of my personal testimony.

Does God work the same way in everyone? I cannot say for certain, but I sincerely doubt it.
well, sounds like nonsense to me;
but i mean that as a compliment tho lol. verification or whatever
Does God work the same way in everyone?
ha, i'm wondering if God works the same way in anyone lol. doubt it

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

My take....
@Marymog

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Neither am I when it comes to the original written languages. In my own ballpark I know there is a quirk in German regarding capitalization. [All nouns, not only proper nouns, are always capitalized.] The quirks, if there are any, in those languages must be translated [if translation is needed for proper understanding] is up to the translators. Would God lead or mislead translators? I guess it would depend on whether or not it accomplished His purpose according to His plan.
seems we got plenty of Script on scribes, imo, i'd be taking God's words There, myself
Easter isn't hard to find in a Bible, right; only it isn't really in There, too